Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Baby Elephant is a Goner.
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 1:35 pm | Edited by: memoryman

[url=http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/070809_Newborn_Elephan t_Dies_at_Memphis_Zoo[/url]

Sad. 21 months in the womb, 2 days out.
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 1:39 pm

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 1:46 pm

shit.
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 3:34 pm

Total bummer...at least she didn't leave it in a hot car.
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 3:40 pm

RIP elephant baby.
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm sadder about this story than I am about most of the bad news we get around here.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 4:14 am

very very bummed about this.

goddamn.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 9:47 am

Ugh, me too. I hope mama elephant doesn't go into extreme depression or anything. Poor mama.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 10:03 am

she prob will. their mourning period includes burying their dead young, which she obviously can't do. :( so sad. i remember this happening before somewhere and they left the dead baby elephant in the exhibit with the mother and she kept trying to bury it. tragic.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 10:35 am

VERY sociable animals.
This is terrible news...CA said they had to show her it was dead so she would not be looking for it.
Horrible.....
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 2:36 pm

fucking hell. i hate this.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 6:02 pm

the elephant exhibit in the memphis zoo pisses me off. they keep building all this new shit and the elephants are still walking around on concrete. elephants aren't even supposed to be in zoos anyway.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 7:02 pm

the elephants are still walking around on concrete.

No they're not.
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 7:02 pm

p.s. quit being a hippie.
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 12:17 pm

p.s. quit being a hippie.

or you could quit being an asshole. the memphis zoo itself acknowledges that the exhibit is antiquated. plenty of zoos have phased out elephant exhibits altogether, because they can't provide the space that elephants need to thrive. elephants are in a completely different category than most other zoo animals.
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 9:05 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Somebody sees one episode of Wild Kingdom (probably while high) and thinks they're Marlon Perkins.

The elephant exhibit was built in '71 and, at the behest of the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, the concrete trees were added in '91. Further modifications were made to the pool in '06 or '07 (steps to allow the elephants to enter the water) and barriers and a squeeze gate were erected recently to allow the keepers to hold the elephants while they give them shots and probe them and segregate the baby and mother from the adult male, irrespectively. My point is that they're not just leaving the elephants high and dry. Currently, I beleive they plan to expand the exhibit when the rhino kicks it (I'll miss the rhino). But this exhibit doesn't need the overhaul that, say, the hippo (awesome!) exhibit needs and will get when they build the Zambezi River thing. They're trying to fix the zoo one exhibit at a time but it's expensive and they're limited by the space they've got and the people bitching about them using it.

So rip another bong hit and turn up Animal Planet, I want to hear this bit about Tapirs fucking.
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 11:05 am

Awesome!
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 11:21 am

None of what you cut and pasted from wikipedia or wherever constitutes any kind of habitation replication or decent living facility for an animal as large or as social as an elephant, particularly when the zoo is attempting/has attempted to bring new animals into the exhibit. But if you wanna go on defending mediocrity instead of bothering to read a book and educate yourself on what you're talking about, be my guest. Since doing just that apparently makes me a hippie, and since you are such an expert on what kind of overhauls the elephant exhibit needs or doesn't need, I guess I'll go weave a dream catcher or smoke a bowl or whatever it is I'm supposed to do.
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Awesome!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®