Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / beer and biking in Memphis
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:39 am

I like beer a lot. Is there any store not too far from the Hi-Tone/Gen X Inn that's got a pretty good selection of craft beers? Anybody familiar with Buster's Liquors on South Highland or Raffi's Deli on Poplar?

Also, how is Bosco's? Worth a trip or just so-so? Any places that might be flying under the radar? Are the Ghost River beers any good or should I not bother looking for a place that serves them?

Finally, how's the biking in Hi-Tone/Gen X area specifically and Memphis in general? Are casual bikers treated like targets for cars or are drivers pretty aware? Is there any place not too far from the Gen X that rents bikes in case we can convince friends to pedal around Memphis?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but the usual www resources have somewhat let me down (particularly in regards to beer).
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:42 am

liquor store's don't sell beer, raffi's has a good selection, possibly better and definately closer is midtown mini-mart
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:57 am

liquor store's don't sell beer,

Oh, TN is one of those states. Good to know.

possibly better and definately closer is midtown mini-mart

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. This is at Poplar on the corner of Overton Park, right? Thanks, Bruce!
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:59 am

no, it's mcclean and tutwiler, block north of n parkway
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:09 pm

where everything is 9.99.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:18 pm

If you have a car, drive west over the bridge and get off at the Missouri St. exit in West Memphis. Go to the Walgreens (you should see it once you turn left into the glorious burg of West Memphis from the service rd after you exit). Go in the Walgreens and turn right into a palace of cheap liquor wine and beer. There is a pretty good import and craft beer selection on the last aisle on the right, toward the back.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:37 pm

looks like these guys rent bikes. not super close though...

Midtown Bikes

any of you locals know about how much it costs to get to and from the airport if you don't have a car and were gonna try to rent a bike once you got into town? seems like it might be cheaper and more convenient to just rent a car if you were able to.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:47 pm

You will be a moving target but that doesn't stop a lot of folks.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 2:07 pm

$18-$20 at least for a cab from/to the airport.

It will be humid and sweltering hot. Rent a car.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 2:10 pm

yeah, seems like the cab fare and the bike rental costs would end up being just about as much as renting a car. i just like riding bikes. humid and hot are ok by me (i'm guessing these shows will end up fairly sweaty anyways... heh.) thanks for the info everybody.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm

liquor store's don't sell beer, raffi's has a good selection, possibly better and definately closer is midtown mini-mart

Most liquor store's DO sell beer, its just the high alcohol variety. Joe's has a decent selection and some are pretty good.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:49 am | Edited by: No Big Thing

If you have a car, drive west over the bridge and get off at the Missouri St. exit in West Memphis. Go to the Walgreens

We will have a car, so this sounds like a great option, not just for cheap beer, but to get some stuff that's not distributed in TN. There is a reason for Arkansas. Thanks, Saispas!

Midtown Bikes

I'd actually looked at the bike rental on the site before posting, but it looks like they didn't have any available (hard to tell with the super crappy interface). Our friends don't ever bike in the city, so Memphis might be a bit intense for them. We'll probably just bring ours.

Most liquor store's DO sell beer, its just the high alcohol variety. Joe's has a decent selection and some are pretty good.

Yeah, I saw an old listing of what beer they were carrying at Buster's. All pretty high ABV and definitely not the sort of things that lend themselves to staying on my feet for any real length of time. What's Joe's?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:47 am

Believe me, working in Marion, I've learned to seek out and appreciate the Little Things...namely much cheaper bottles of Sauza Hornitos from the Walgreens!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Buster's probably has the best variety of super and expensive imports in Memphis. They had Chimay variety packs with proper glassware included last time I was over there.
I haven't checked Raffi's in a while, but tasty imports were their specialty at one time.
Liquor stores definitely have beer.
Bosco's blows. Use it only as a litmus test for other beer drinkers.
Saispas is master of the inane.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Buster's probably has the best variety of super and expensive imports in Memphis. They had Chimay variety packs with proper glassware included last time I was over there.

The lists of what they were carrying that I saw were a little dated, but while the selection was nice it wasn't anything I can't easily find at home, save Stone Brewing stuff. And I can drive 40 minutes to IN and get that if I'm desiring it. I'm on the hunt for stuff not distributed in IL/IN. Yuengling ain't mind-blowing by any means, but I'm looking forward to heading home with a sixer of their very drinkable porter.

Bosco's blows. Use it only as a litmus test for other beer drinkers.
Ha! I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks for saving me the trip!

Saispas is master of the inane.
WTF? If cheap liquor on the way home from work is inane, color me inane.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 7:47 pm

bosco's isn't absolutely terrible. it's more of that it is a little more expensive for what it is and will give you the nastiest hangover ever. i like their IPA okay, but it's not worth feeling like you got an axe stuck in your head the next morning.

joe's is an awesome liquor store with a nice wine selection. while they are not buster's as far as size and selection is concerned because they pretty much have everyone beat, if you ever want a wine but don't know quite what to get, they're really super friendly and helpful with good suggestions. they have some beer, but it's the high alcohol content stuff and shit like k cider.

some convenience stores and groceries have an okay selection of beers so you may want to look into that as well. that peter pan's in the same building as joe's liquor which is on poplar near either belvedere or evergreen (my brain hurts right now and is thinking more about my sunburn than locations) used to have an alright selection of beer but it's probably been 5 years since i stepped foot in that place at least. schnuck's sometimes has some okay beer selection. raffi's has a pretty good selection, but they're further out than what you would think on a bike. (and down poplar which you might as well ride on the sidewalks around because you don't want to get plowed into by a shithead driver going 70. and believe me, they do go 70 on poplar sometimes.) also maybe look into the kwik stop on e. parkway and central. they sometimes have ok stuff too. bruce is spot on with recommending midtown minimarket, but like harvey tunnel said, you'll pay a little more for it than you would anywhere else for the most part.

as far as a bike is concerned, while it's hot as a motherfucker now, that's the least of your concerns. people here drive like shit and think it's great sport to tap you in a car while you're on your bike. i ride my bike, but if you're not familiar with the areas and don't know decent ways to get around or really mind being on the sidewalk, i'd say screw it and go for a rental car. the cops have better things to do than bust people for riding on sidewalks too. just sayin.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Make it easy for the Memphis drivers -ride a tall bike!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 8:51 am

with a tall hat
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:14 am

Holy crap, Elle---thanks for the great breakdown! Think we're probably gonna leave the bikes behind this time...don't know the city at all and we're both kinda sheepish about riding on sidewalks. Maybe next time. OK, time to get out the door and on the road.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:53 am

i dig the Scottish ale and Bosco's and it will get you pretty fucked up
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 10:01 am

i dig the Scottish ale and Bosco's and it will get you pretty fucked up

Seconded. Boscos is great. Elle is right about the hangovers, however. Oh, and Ghost River is Bosco's beer. They just use another name for distribution.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®