Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / so no masso destructo weather post?
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm

i'm shocked. there was no thread about the crazy storm last night or is everyone's power out around town?

that tree across avalon over by the home depot = crazings. that thing was huge and is still laying across the street.
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 4:47 pm

seriously, I am dying for pictures. c'mon! I hear Youngblood has power, everyone go over there and upload pictures to Flickr!
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 4:58 pm

branch was hanging precariously from one of our power lines about 15 minutes before the hockey game last night. i took my ass out there in the pouring rain and lopped off enough branchs to get it off without fucking with our power.

considering the outcome of the game, kinda wish i hadn't done it.
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:20 pm

ryan, that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Hon!! Next time I see you I'll explain all about electricity to you. And, the story of the branch on my power line during Hurricane Elvis.

I've just had power back for about an hour. Sorry I didn't do my usual WEATHER ALERT! WEATHER ALERT! warning. I was seriously caught off guard!

I swear, I think I have some kind of PTSD about the electricity going out. We were out for 16 days during HE, and it was sheer hell. I've not been fun to be around the last 24 hours.
Did play Scrabble by candlelight, though...that was pretty fun.
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:27 pm | Edited by: saispas

Ryan was also determined to grill and had set up a stake with an umbrella on it in the backyard. I woke up from a benadryl nap, checked the weather and ran out there to stop him 4 minutes before the hell came down. He then proceeded to take a shower in the part of the house that is directly underneath the massive branches of the oak in our backyard. I was running back and forth in the house trying to find the safest place but as this place is 978 sq feet with the de rigeur walls of windows of 50's ranch houses, there wasn't really a safe place, so I stood in front of the windows in the living room and watched all the tree limbs and trash blow down the street. Oscar the cat was jumping at the window trying to "catch" it all. The electricity just flickered a bit, thank God, or I would have had a crazed husband screaming at MLGW to get his hockey on.

And we ended up grilling after all. In the carport.
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:39 pm

He really doesn't seem that stupid....???
Alex and Jack took blankets out on the front porch, laid down, and went to sleep. Maybe it's a boy thing...

The bathtub, saispas! That's where you're supposed to go in those kind of houses.

I'm just giddy with (the) power, now. Jackson Ave. was mighty dark last night.
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 8:03 pm

moms called us after we were a couple of hours down the road to ask if we had outrun the storm. The mondo blow up waterslide the kids played on in her back yard blew to the front yard and she says her street/yard looks like a warzone.

When I talked to her today around 6pm, she still didn't have power
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Well. Ryan was in the bathtub, but you know all I could think of was that oak tree crashing down right there!
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 9:59 pm

you've got a point. And, you're not supposed to have WATER in the tub when you're hiding from a tornado!

Glad y'all got outta here, Windy. Though, it might have been exciting for the kids. What's a visit to Memphis without a genuine fear-for-your-life experience?
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 10:27 pm

upload pictures to Flickr!

no crazy rain and wind, but that weird orange sky that sometimes happens before or after big storms. These are untouched from the camera...nuts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/sets/72157619709336556/
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 10:54 pm

my dad just texted me to say they got power back in Bartlett, after MLGW said it might be a week.

Hurricane Cal < Hurricane Elvis/SUPER STORM 2003!
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 11:21 pm

haven't posted bc i don't have power -- we have live sparking wires down in the flashback parking lot, and the fire dept made this total rickity barrier using orange pylons and sticks from downed trees. it is a LIVE wire! my mama flew in from honduras tonight and i didn't have it in me for another broiling night, so we checked into the red roof inn. this is fricking ridiculous.
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am

Watched the windows breathe on the 15th floor of Clark Tower. When I got home the clocks were blinking. Other than that, nothing.
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

everyone else have power? I am STILL OUT! dying at the fairgrounds...
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 5:10 pm

you're at the fairgrounds like some Tornado Homeless?
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:28 am

dang.... shaggy, too, i think.... we had tornado warnings yesterday, too, and funnel clouds were seen (i had the urge to write "funnel cloud sightings" but that's retarded weatherperson speak, not english.). I didn't even know.

Goner Store has AC, come by and watch our neighborhood Annoying Panama Hat Painter Guy Who Saw Blue Cheer Once get hauled off by the Feds!

Oh wait, that was yesterday.

Come by anyway! Powerless people will be taken advantage of, as usual!

I mean, Powerless people, 10% off!
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:31 am

step one, admit your powerless....
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:43 am

Looks like ANOTHER one is heading this way if it holds together...from the northwest
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:56 am

still no power at the bf's. today we get to go clean out the fridge rot! yummy.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:59 am

we lucked out & never lost power, but a guy across the street from us wasn't so luckly. lighting hit his house & power lines, so they're all fried, AND it caught his furnace on fire! we had 4 fire trucks on our street at one point friday evening.

of course, it fried everyone around him, too, so basically all the people across from us on our block are out, while our side is fine. i'm sure they'll be one of the last ones to get fixed, too, since it's not a whole grid, & they'll have to do some major replacement work to get everything fixed.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:19 am

Looks like ANOTHER one is heading this way if it holds together

i see it coming! i hope it isn;t as bad as the last one. doesn't look as fierce.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:07 pm

yeah! stilllll out. and havent seen a truck...even after driving around the neighborhood for hours yesterday.. streetlights still out down jackson and theres another tree bout to fall on my other neighbors house.the three generators next door humming and the random gunshots are becoming quite soothing. all i have to listen to is my sons ipod he left behind that has a 3 hour godzilla soundtrack eric gave him and a bad ramones cd i think we got at a truckstop...da na nannana da nananada na nannana
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Sounds like someone's going krazeeeeeee...
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:15 pm | Edited by: andria

still no power here either... the MLGW trucks just power thru the intersection @ central and e pky without slowing down... pun intended... i am totally flipping out, am teaching 32 kids @ summer camp this week and have slept maybe 2 hours straight since sometime last week... the storm last night did cool off the house but today it's like being locked inside a car trunk... wet soapy sheets in the washer have mildewed, but i already jettisoned the contents of my fridge... why does this feel even worse than hurricane elvis? I have had some major crying jags this week due to sheer overheatedness and exhaustion.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:21 pm

How are the pets? I cannot believe this craziness. Somehow our house escaped because there are some sides of the streets in our neighborhood without power since last Friday and Sea Isle and Colonial Middle don't have it either.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:23 pm

The MLGW crew has actually been twittering to communicate. One thing they keep repeating is that you should call their automated outage number at 544-6500 regularly, otherwise they assume your power was restored when they turned the neighborhood circuit back on.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:31 pm | Edited by: andria

my dog is a staffie/pit rescue... he is hot hot hot. doesn't move too much but is drinking his water... i haven't spent the night anywhere i couldn't take him... since he presumably lived outdoors for the 1st 3 years of his life, i take it he can figure out how to stay cool in the backyard if need be (I have a dog door) but i know he is suffering too. I could take it if there were fans to circulate the air a little bit... it's the stagnant heavy heat that's killing us.

and yep Hemant i have been twittering with MLGW. and the light @ central and east parkway is still out, and we have a LIVE powerline still laying about 2 feet over the sidewalk, and many neighbors and I have been calling that number repeatedly, so I assume they know we're still out.

the worst is not knowing WHEN. i could almost take it if they said "well, sorry, nothing til friday," but i can't take that holding-my-breath feeling everytime i hear a truck or see flashing lights.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:34 pm

oh andria, I feel for you.
And, all of you still out.
During HE they had to replace three poles on our back fence lines. After we'd been out for six days they came and dropped the poles off in front of my neighbors' house. Then they totally disappeared for five more days. When they came back it took them two more days.

I thought I was going to lose my mind.
Then the tree guys came out and dropped a limb on my repaired line and I was out for three more days.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:36 pm

He really doesn't seem that stupid....???

glad i don't seem as stupid as i am.

-ryan
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:37 pm

thanks. somehow i did 14 days during hurricane elvis, but i don't recall much beyond the first few days of grilling, then the endless ice runs to west memphis. this time, i would definitely split town if i didn't have to be @ grace-st luke's every morning.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®