Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / It's official...Willie has gone round the bend
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 12:56 pm

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/12/herenton-v-cohen-poli tical-impact-both-parties/

Words cannot express my total loathing for this man.
Is the upside that he can no longer be the mayor if he makes the run? God I hope so.
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 7:40 pm

I can't imagine that the Democratic Party won't do everything in its power to keep King Willie from taking that district. All the FBI investigations and such are definitely not what they need right now.
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 10:12 pm

I cannot even begin to express my loathing for that man. Cohen is sort of a joke as it is, but he is no more of a joke than any other US Rep and he gets some things done...however, can we imagine this man in Washington? It would be comical. I actually am of the belief at times that we should do whatever it takes just to get him out of the mayor's office and if it takes him getting shuffled away to D.C., whatevs. Maybe that is some naivete on my part but I think he'd do less damage to us there.

In my dreams though, I'd like him to have a debilitating stroke or something.
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 1:11 am | Edited by: Uptight White

Willie would get treated like a pathetic joke by the rest of the congressional delegation if he did win. He would get his comeuppance big time, and relegated to a similar role as that crooked turd Alsace Hastings, a joke of who would most likely be openly mocked. I don't know if his constitution could handle that big of a slice of humble pie, but it would be fun to find out. It would be the dumbest move he could do to leave his fiefdom. Willie is too smart not to appreciate how good it truly is to be king. I think he's just mindfucking Cohen.
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 9:33 am

Whoever wrote the formal announcement that the paperwork was in stated he had "Federal Expressed" the paperwork...this was an official announcement! Not "submitted his paperwork via Federal Express..." but the extremely informal verb "Federal Expressed." Wowwwwwww...
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 11:29 am

just hoping the FBI finally drops a well-deserved* hammer on him.

(* of course i've no idea if he's truly guilty of anything besides mind-blowing hubris and comical obliviousness)
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 2:49 pm

I do not doubt that some of those on this board bitchin about Willie voted for his sorry ass in the first mayoral election he ran in.
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 4:07 pm

This fucking town would be in much better shape if it was run by the Mafia and a helluva lot less corrupt.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:22 am

I have never had the opportunity to vote for any of the losers they've had runnin thangs in this city; I've always been living somewhere else when its come up. Not next time!

Where is ol Willie anyway during all this MLGW craziness? No peep from him since sometime last week and his stupid ass email announcement. I know Memphians are "over it" when it comes to him, but still being relatively new after being gone for so long, I cannot believe him and most members of our city council. It is Keystone Kops crossed with All the King's Men.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:28 am

had to sit through a city coucil meeting a couple of years ago for work. the pomposity and stupidity was out of control. no surprises there, i guess...
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:47 am

I have attended some local coalition meetings on various topics in this city and the pure ignorance, power tripping and inability to be diplomatic and work with anyone of varied opinions is MIND-BLOWING. I am sure this isn't simply in Memphis, but it is pretty bad here!
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:08 am

It's not solely in Memphis, but it is better in most places i'd imagine. They show city council meetings in my city on public access TV and they're so progressive and civil. They have real discussions that lead to solutions. it's not just pompous grandstanding, for the most part.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:37 am

Yeah, they truly pulled a doozy here last night passing this totally asinine budget with raises for city employees and no tax increases! Wheeee!

They are making this head-in-the-sand assumption that they will be able to withhold millions to the city schools and a Federal judge has already said they'll have to pay. Well, Myron Lowery said, "If we lose (hmm...they already lost; no way will this be repealed), it will be a tax bill for education, and the citizens will understand that."

Ohmyfuckinggod.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:47 am

asinine budget with raises for city employees
Does that include Willie's toadies that are already making 6 figure salaries (a la McFagdon)?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:56 am

I believe it does.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 1:38 pm

of course it does!

it kills me....it's simple math.

if the money's not there, you don't ADD to the problem. hell, i haven't had a raise for 4 years, because of a downturn in my industry, paired with the economy.

but you know what? i still have a job that pays for my family's insurance, and gives me 5 weeks of vacation (been here 15 years). if i decide i need to be paid more, then i can go out & look for another job.

city employees shouldn't be getting a raise when they're having to cut police & fire services in order to do it, period. if they don't like the pay freeze, they can get their asses out & look for a job in the private sector, where they'll find it's not any better.

::rant over::
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm

if they don't like the pay freeze, they can get their asses out & look for a job in the private sector, where they'll find it's not any better.

Somehow they have convinced themselves that because they work for the city, they do much worse than those of us in "the private sector." Goes to show the genius ratio employed by the City of Memphis these days. They have PENSIONS for gawd's sake! What the fuck is that? I've been employed in this fantastic private sector for 25 years now and never have I been offered some guaranteed FREE money (that I didn't have to pony up first in a 403B) once I decided to quit/retire.

Help me Jesus I'm turning into a Conservative...in some ways!
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 2:03 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

No, you are realizing the illogical boondoggle that is Memphis government. Even a liberal (the classical, not the Neo-Lib PC variety) understands that there are limitations into how big you can grow and fund a government bureaucracy during a cycle of diminishing tax base.
Posted: Jun 25, 2009 11:10 am

It's time to warm up this thread to his pending news conference. I had egg in my face when he called a meeting a couple of years back to- sort of announce his resignation if he got to be school superentendant a couple of years back. What a buzz kill.

This could be the start of his Presidential bid, who knows?
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 11:52 pm

When Willie became mayor of Memphis.....

1.) Bill Clinton was a state governor.

2.) Saddam Hussein invaded Iraq.

3.) Clarence Thomas was nominated for the Supreme Court.

4.) Seven out of nine Supreme Court justices have been replaced since 1991.

5.) Babies born in 1991 are now legal adults.

6.) Comedy Central is born.

7.) The current basketball coach of the Memphis Tigers was in high school.

8.) At least 16 new countries have been born since Herenton took office.
(The break up of ther USSR inot 15 nations states and the African nation of Eritrea.)

9.) Nirvana was the number one rock band in the U.S.

10.) Michael Jackson had a black ass.
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:47 am | Edited by: tigergreen

When Willie became mayor of Memphis.....

I was a 17 year old senior in high school.
he's been mayor my entire adult life...I'm 34.

that's damn depressing.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 7:06 pm

ummmm... has anyone read the exit interview with Herenton in the Flyer that came out today? jeezus. the man is crazy (stating the obvious).
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 7:46 am

Yep, I am surprised his antics are not picked up nationally to be ridiculed...hey, something tells me that just might be happening very, very soon! The Cohen-Herenton election is going to be crazy!
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 10:41 am

I just felt sick to my stomach:

Herenton said to be reconsidering resignation | Update: 10:16 a.m.

Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton is debating whether to withdraw or postpone his resignation, a close supporter confirmed this morning.

Since Herenton announced his resignation last week -- which would have gone into effect July 10 -- County Commissioner Sidney Chism said the mayor is now disappointed with how successors are handling the transition. And with all the candidates jockeying to take hold of the city's reigns, Chism said Herenton is also apprehensive about relinquishing his seat to "all these candidates in the race."

"It's just getting crazy," Chism said.

Herenton has not confirmed the speculation. And Chism said Herenton still intends to resign and run in the 9th Congressional District race against State Rep. Steve Cohen.

But Chism said the mayor is displeased with City Council chairman Myron Lowery prematurely announcing his transition team before being sworn in as mayor pro tem next Friday.

"My whole thought is that he (the mayor) can go about his business, but he's not going to let the city go to the dogs because someone is acting crazy," Chism said.

According to Chism, the mayor is thinking about either postponing his resignation "get Myron out of the picture" or resign and then actually run in the special election "depending on how many candidates get in the race to keep it from getting crazy."

Chism said Herenton will not lose credibility by putting off his resignation. He is still getting constant calls from constituents urging him to stay on.

"People are calling him every minute," Chism said. "He don't need to retire."

-- Alex Doniach
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 10:56 am

Oh my god.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:03 am

"My whole thought is that he (the mayor) can go about his business, but he's not going to let the city go to the dogs because someone is acting crazy," Chism said.

Sidney's "whole thought" (who are these people?!?!) is classic.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:19 am

no no no...not again.
seriously? 2 resignations within 2 years that don't come to pass?

i loved this quote from the flyer article:

"I got all kinds of issues, and you're going to tell me about a rape victim not being served at a particular time. I've got a lot of other lapses in service."

that says it all right there, straight from the horse's mouth.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:23 am | Edited by: saispas

that says it all right there, straight from the horse's mouth.

No kidding...that article was hilarious. The image of his media coordinator or whatever her title is, repeating his punchlines "sotto voce" while she shook her head was perfect. Who is going to do a book on this man? He's just enough of a narcissist to definitely authorize it and be interviewed.

Oh, now apparently other "sources" are saying the resignation is on and he had just "considered" reneging. I'll believe when I see it!
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:23 am

by the way...

Concerned Herenton will go through with July 10 resignation, sources say | Update: 10:42a.m.

Memphis mayor Willie Herenton will go through with his announced plans and resign July 10, according to multiple sources who spoke with the mayor this morning.

While Herenton is concerned about the number of people seeking to replace him, he told friends and staffers this morning that he will, in fact, resign.

-- Amos Maki
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:25 am

The image of his media coordinator or whatever her title is, repeating his punchlines "sotto voce" while she shook her head was perfect.

yeah, that cracked me up, too. i hope he runs for congress & cohen runs all over his race-baiting ass.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:27 am

It is gonna be UGLY!

I cannot even begin to imagine the stops Willie is going to pull out for this. It is going to be simultaneously infuriating and hilarity-packed.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 12:16 pm

i've (sadly) never really given a rolling rat fuck about local politics, because, well, what's the fucking point? ...but his dude has pushed like every one of my buttons. i have decided i will not rest until he is completely and utterly vanquished in any of his conceivable political endeavors.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 12:25 pm

*tin foil hat time*

does anyone think herman morris might have been a ringer, goaded to run by certain parties interested in splitting the anti-Herenton vote??
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 12:30 pm

does anyone think herman morris might have been a ringer, goaded to run by certain parties interested in splitting the anti-Herenton vote??

yep, and i totally fell for it at the time.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 12:59 pm | Edited by: MATAlac

I've had this interview on replay, compelling stuff

I like how he throws it back on AC as his character flaw to even flirt with considering running for Mayor in '05. Cock sure is an understatement of his attitude.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 2:22 pm

yep, and i totally fell for it at the time.

I didn't, and got into some pretty ugly arguments with my rich liberal friends who were SURE that Herman could beat him because he was black.
I'll admit I felt pretty smart when exactly what I told them would happen happened.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 2:24 pm

i'm embarrassed to say i fell for it, too. pretty cynical of me, but there ya go.

my sister, brother-in-law and all their rich, conservative friends were all about Morris as well
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 4:41 pm

That youtube video is off the hook! I haven't heard/seen him speak in years (moved away), and his manner of speaking, body language, everything is a lot more... like, he's slurring his words and moving really oddly and slowly. Dude's always been crazy, but now it's like his brain is starting to melt or something. Maybe he's a zombie.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 5:17 pm | Edited by: saispas

Dude's always been crazy, but now it's like his brain is starting to melt or something. Maybe he's a zombie.

I think it is referred to as boxing-related Parkinson's & dementia. I just made that name up, but I think its accurate.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 5:26 pm

I want to know if and HOW Jackson Baker kept a straight face during this interview.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 6:20 pm

Oh my goodness with that interview.

DOES HE KNOW THAT HE IS SITTING next to two large and plainly recognizable posters of NAPOLEON and THE TITANIC?

In my dreams he always does.
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 6:41 pm

DOES HE KNOW THAT HE IS SITTING next to two large and plainly recognizable posters of NAPOLEON and THE TITANIC?

Yeah, that is another of my favorites about this gem.
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 1:07 pm

and here we go....

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10649861&Call=Email&Format=HTM L

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton will delay his retirement until July 30, the mayor's office said in a statement Monday.
Herenton's office released the following statement:

Mayor Willie W. Herenton will be delaying his retirement until July 30, 2009. The Mayor states in a letter to Councilman Myron Lowery that there are some important city business matters that need additional time to complete. Mayor Herenton has also asked that Keith McGee remain in office as CAO until July 30, 2009.

Mayor Herenton also notes that there are still questions remaining whether or not it is appropriate for the Mayor Pro-tem to hold an executive and a legislative position simultaneously. The new provisions in the City Charter do not address issues such as this. A friendly lawsuit may be necessary to answer this question.
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 3:28 pm

There may be some ambiguity in the city charter because it's drafters did not envision having a TOTAL FUCKING LUNATIC as mayor.
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 3:41 pm

a TOTAL FUCKING LUNATIC as mayor.
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 5:36 pm

Go Shea Flinn!

The first-term councilman and attorney called Herenton a "lame duck on steroids" and said he's still planning to vote on a resolution declaring Herenton's office vacant as of Friday.

Posted: Jul 10, 2009 9:47 am

Should have known I'd still be returning to that lameass as mayor.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®