Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / NCAA accuses Memphis of major violations during 2007-08 season
Posted: May 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Posted: May 27, 2009 10:17 pm | Edited by: saispas

I can only hope that this turns into an "Indiana & Kelvin" type affair for Kentucky & Cal. Reports say this may not affect Memphis going forward, which is good and hey, I don't even care anymore about vacating our year. Trust me, years from now, no one will remember if we had to, they'll just remember WE FUCKING LOST UP 8 WITH TWO MINUTES.

Fuck Cal. And RC. And HAHAHAHA Kentucky.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/27/ncaa-alleges-major-vi olations-memphis-basketball-p/
Posted: May 27, 2009 10:25 pm

WE FUCKING LOST UP 8 WITH TWO MINUTES.

i thought it was agreed on, we never, EVER, mention this again
Posted: May 27, 2009 10:34 pm

This could work out Bruce because likely, quite soon, it never even happened!
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:44 am

Once again, the Memphis tao of Ross Johnson proves to be true: IT NEVER HAPPENED!
Posted: May 28, 2009 8:06 am

I sort of like the "It never happened!" idea...until I think about Anderson and Dozier having to give up their record also.

Let me go on the record saying that Derrick Rose can go fuck his stupid ass self too. At least our boy Penny had the sense to (1) Take the ACT (everyone knows it is easier) and (2) Red shirt when he couldn't score above a 16 until after studying for a year. I think he eventually made a 22.
Posted: May 28, 2009 8:32 am

And so hes a cheater...anyone suprised?? Word on sports radio this morning is that the University knew about these allegations before Cal left for Kentucky. Why did they not bring it up then? Kentucky certainly wouldnt wanna hire a cheater and the University wouldnt have had to throw more money at the dude. Shits all fucked up.
Posted: May 28, 2009 8:44 am | Edited by: tigergreen

Kentucky certainly wouldnt wanna hire a cheater

noooooo....not kentucky! Eddie Sutton, anyone?

Cal did the same thing to us that he did at UMass...he weasels out just enough to where his name is "cleared" from the situation, & gets out the back door. Hope the kentucky kool-aid drinkers enjoy it for now...because their time's coming.

personally, i think the ncaa wants world wide wes. BAD. this may just be the tip of the iceberg for ol' cal. and i hope he gets it in spades. karma's a bitch.

as for us, i'll be surprised if much happens past maybe vacating our final four. cal's too slick to have his name associated with rose's cheated SAT, and no one with an ounce of common sense, at the ncaa or otherwise, is going to really think the u of m did anything basketball-wise without cal's stamp of approval, so that exonerates the university.

i'd be very interested to see how the weasel testifies on june 6.
Posted: May 28, 2009 8:46 am

WE FUCKING LOST UP 8 WITH TWO MINUTES.

i thought it was agreed on, we never, EVER, mention this again

ugh.
Posted: May 28, 2009 9:56 am

The letter from the NCAA was dated January 16!!! I mean, WTF?!?!?!

What is really interesting as the bulk of the violations were from the women's GOLF coach! And what it looks like is that she was fired in 2008 and the new coach has to go to the hearing along with Cal on June 6th. I mean, if RC sacked the GOLF COACH...?!??!!?

RC needs to get the boot. Post haste. Last week. No excuse.
Posted: May 28, 2009 9:59 am

personally, i think the ncaa wants world wide wes. BAD.

I think you may be right. They need to get in and pass some bylaws against this shit. I don't care if these prima donnas all go to Europe instead of college.

I return to my original stance of college is for college...get kids in that can fucking get a decent ACT score and a C average like the rest of the student pop...uh, well, I had better than a C average, but my ACT score was a joke.
Posted: May 28, 2009 12:45 pm

the thing is, several precedents have already been set with the ncaa.

if you don't go after kansas for the darrell arthur thing, or come down hard on UConn, or Duke for their guy who won them a championship, or CERTAINLY usc, then the history has been established. they won't be able to do a whole hell of a lot to us.

my biggest fear is if this is the tip of the iceberg, & memphis winds up being collateral damage in a big sweeping investigaton of worldwide wes and cal. if this is all that comes out from the cal years, it'll be a slap on the wrist, & we'll all move on.

just win, baby...now it's kensucky's turn to drink the kool-aid.
i have no doubt they'll get left holding the bag in a few years as well, just like us & umass.
Posted: May 28, 2009 1:41 pm

The letter from the NCAA was dated January 16!!! I mean, WTF?!?!?!

I think Caulkins & gary parrish nailed it this morning on the radio. Letter goes to U of M. Cal says "You can't let anyone know about that, it'll kill recruiting." so they sit on it, while Cal knowsthat it would also kill his chance to get out of Memphis and jump to Kentucky. He does his recruiting, does his duck-out, and this comes out too late to hurt him.

Wow. Way to get played, RC.
Posted: May 28, 2009 1:54 pm

The thing is this COULD hurt Cal. It certainly doesn't help matters. Players are going to realize that every little thing they do will be looked at with a fine tooth comb if Cal and Wes have a thing to do with them. It will be much harder to say no to Wes than it would be to Cal in this instance as Wes can get them $$$ down the line rather than some penny ante job for their trainer or what have you.

Memphis isn't going to look good regardless, but depending on how the NCAA plays this, Cal could finally end up with a shiner.
Posted: May 28, 2009 2:34 pm

I wouldn't bet on it.

A friend of mine just sent this to me:
I was watching Steve Cohen's cable TV show yesterday; he had Coach P on. Steve asked about Latavious Willliams signing, and coach said that Latavious had signed scholarship papers, but not a letter of intent, which still gives him an out to play for another school. The Rose story hadn't even broken yet and probation wasn't even being discussed, but looking at this in hindsight, all I can say is uh oh...

If this screws up the one bit of good Tiger news we've had in two months I will have a hissy fit.
Posted: May 28, 2009 2:45 pm

well, from what i've heard, Latavious Williams has still not qualified academically. perhaps someone can take the SAT for him too?
Posted: May 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Well, Pastner had to have known about this. A LOT of people must have heard about this Rose and the SAT story...I mean, it happened in Chicago, not here. Apparently the Sun-Times has a big article about it with Rose's AAU coach interviewed. I am going to track it down after I watch the Guy Fieri Imposter...I need a laugh!
Posted: May 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Oh I read that COUSINS has yet to take his SAT also...
Posted: May 28, 2009 2:54 pm | Edited by: saispas

"As soon as the MONEY GOT INVOLVED" ??!?!?!?

From the Sun Times:

Luther Topps, who coached Rose's club basketball team with Derrick's brother Reggie, has been aware of the NCAA investigation for three weeks. According to Topps, the NCAA threatened to revoke former Simeon player Tim Flowers college eligibility if Flowers didn't agree to an interview.

''Tim told me the NCAA kept bothering him,'' Topps said. ''That if he didn't talk they were going to take away his eligibility. [The NCAA] thinks that [former Simeon player Kevin Johnson] took [the SAT test] for him.''

Simeon coach Robert Smith declined to comment on the situation.

''[Smith and I] didn't know anything about his test,'' Topps said. ''Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved.''
Posted: May 28, 2009 3:20 pm

WHAT??!!!
Posted: May 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Well Im sure whoever took the test for him didnt do that shit for free. Theres no tellin how much the kid got paid. Whats so fucked up about this is that Cal will probably get in no trouble for this shit, when in reality hes the one that set it up. Im sure he will say..."I had no knowledge of this happening". I think the U of M is in some serious trouble.
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh I read that COUSINS has yet to take his SAT also...

several of Cal's new "best recruiting class ever" are iffy on being academically ineligible. i'd laugh for months if the whole thing imploded in his face, AND he ran off the scholarship players from gillespie.

but this is one of the things i said when we were wondering if cal would make the jump from memphis to kentucky - are kentucky's boosters going to be happy with the "barely toeing the line" tactics that cal uses as far as getting players?

add this investigation to the mix, & i'd bet that a lot of kentucky's fans & boosters probably have some clenched butt cheeks right about now.
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Im sure he will say..."I had no knowledge of this happening".

he definitely will...he'll place blame squarely on the university, derrick, derrick's brother, whoever else he can. or there may already be a fall guy set up. who knows?

but on the flip side, the university can say they had no knowledge as well. this could just be the rose family doing what they "needed" to do in order to make sure rose's one college year didn't get postponed, with www's help.

or, it could be the kid who took the test wanting a little something extra from the new NBA star, and if he's not getting it, he's talking.

june 6 will be very interesting...but all i know is i wish someone other than RC was able to do the talking for the U of M.
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:55 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

I think Caulkins & gary parrish nailed it this morning on the radio. Letter goes to U of M. Cal says "You can't let anyone know about that, it'll kill recruiting." so they sit on it, while Cal knowsthat it would also kill his chance to get out of Memphis and jump to Kentucky. He does his recruiting, does his duck-out, and this comes out too late to hurt him.

i'd bet that kentucky knew full well about the possibility of an investigation, & chose to take a chance to try to bring their program back from the dead. they're shady as they come - the eddie sutton years got them banned from 2 years of postseason play & 1 year of televised games, & 3 years' probation.
Posted: May 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Posted: May 29, 2009 10:31 am

but this is one of the things i said when we were wondering if cal would make the jump from memphis to kentucky - are kentucky's boosters going to be happy with the "barely toeing the line" tactics that cal uses as far as getting players?

Yeah, seriously. That whole underdog thing worked in the ultimate underdog city, but Kentucky??? Those people ain't havin' it. The funny thing is that if you read any national media article about this, when you scroll down and look at the comments all the Kentucky fans are defending Calipari and are SO SURE he has NOTHING to do with this!

If now is when all of this shit is gonna blow up, THANK GOD he got outta here last month.
Posted: May 29, 2009 10:49 am

If now is when all of this shit is gonna blow up, THANK GOD he got outta here last month.

No kidding.
And, I'm pretty much (finally) officially on the Fuck Calipari bandwagon. Enuff's enuff!
Posted: May 29, 2009 2:24 pm

It just shows what an ultimate slimebag Calipari is: He directed RC to keep hush because it would kill recruiting. So he recruits this team, knowing full well he can skate outta here as soon as the Tigers lose in the tourney and likely keep the recruits he developed relationships with. And RC didn't even tell Pastner about the hearing...and apparently Cal didn't let Pastner know either when he consulted with him prior to accepting the job here and not following Cal to Kentucky. He's a fucking scoundrel and I hope his house of cards blows down sooner than later.
Posted: May 30, 2009 6:29 pm | Edited by: robin

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11800169

A good article about all of this by Gary Parrish. RC oughta be fired after all of this! It's shocking, really. The man has zero leadership skills and seems to be as dumb as a post.
Posted: May 30, 2009 7:07 pm

If he doesn't resign, he better be fired. The word on local radio is that he is such a great fundraiser and that is the only reason he hasn't been fired before. I heard Pastner on the radio and he said he had no idea and is fielding calls non stop from parents, handlers and recruits. Any savvy person would have protected the program and instead he protected Cal...he couldn't even see it. I can understand (somewhat) how fans are all stunned but directing the UM program is RC's job, not burying his face in Cal's jock. I know that is an offensive image, but that is the size of it!
Posted: May 30, 2009 11:03 pm

The word on local radio is that he is such a great fundraiser and that is the only reason he hasn't been fired before.

But like, do they really NEED a good fundraiser running the AD right now? I doubt he had to prod Fred Smith et al to offer Cal all the money they did. Interest in the basketball program has never been as high as it is right now. What they need is momentum, and at this point the only way that's gonna happen is if Memphis get into a BCS conference- and that's looking less and less likely as the infractions issue has come out.

They need someone who's gutsy, who's gonna get in there and advocate for Memphis and promise to clean up shop. The further all this goes, the more it looks like they just need to clean house completely.
Posted: May 31, 2009 5:20 am

calipari is a slimeball and i feel duped that i ever thought that fucking jerk was worth a shit. the worst kind of charlatan he was. the stupidest thing i've read within the past week was some article from the louisville paper talking about how world wide wes wasn't going to be involved with cal anymore. this was back right when he announced his move. i guess he was trying to sever strings since he knew that he was going to get his tail nailed to the ground after recruiting and other violations. i just hope the NCAA anally rapes cal on this. they need to. clearly, he's a shit. i know rc is a fucking idiot and all, but really? who benefited from this? cal...(and rose, but that's another story). cal got his fame from bending rules. he doesn't have any coaching ability (goes without saying after examination of past performances). he gets by on his ability to "work" with players and the nba/ncaa rules.
Posted: May 31, 2009 8:49 am

Well, no World Wide Wes and Cal is going to have QUITE a problem continuing to score stellar recruits. He may have them this year, but he is going to really have difficulty on his own. Fine with me. I hate his ass and can't wait to watch things continue to crumble for the guy...because it is starting.

Pastner says he is reverting to going after local talent for the Tigers...YES! Never thought I'd say that again, but when you think how well Larry Finch did with Memphis players alone (Wright, Perry and well, Penny!) that is going to be exciting, esp. since we'll be hanging out in the non-BCS for awhile!
Posted: May 31, 2009 5:48 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to team up with the regional schools who are also non-BCS but "better than that", so to speak, and start a new Metro/old C-USA-style conference.

A friend of mine from here (Boston) texted me last night- he was in Chicago and everyone was talking about DRose/Calipari and saying all this shit wasn't their fault, and that it wouldn't have happened if DRose hadn't gone to/Calipari hadn't coached at "a school where the best major is fried chicken". My friend punched the guy in the face, hard. A brawl ensued. Thought y'all might like to know that we're still the scourge of the earth, in the nation's eyes.

I've been wearing my Memphis basketball shirts all weekend!!!
Posted: May 31, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm still a Memphis fan , of course, forever and always and this has nothing to do with our fantastic fried chicken program...but we are certainly not and never were in any position to fuck around free and easy with the likes of WWW and not doing "due diligence" with our players. Regardless of getting these great players, what does it matter when two of our 3 Final Four banners get shredded?
Now Mississippi State needs to be looking out. Check out the stories about the guy coming from LA who was unceremoniously told to fuck off by both UCLA and USC. He was moved to LA 3 years ago from Mississippi by Sonny Vaccaro.
The NBA is the cause for a lot of this craziness. I think rebuilding in all senses of the word is in order...for everyone, not just Fried Chucken State.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 8:55 am | Edited by: tigergreen

The NBA is the cause for a lot of this craziness.

totally agree.
not every kid is supposed to be a college player. the NBA should change their rule to either you come in straight from high school, or you're in college for 3 years, not this 1 & done crap. they'll never go back to accepting them out of high school, though, b/c having them go to college just builds more hype for them.

cal will never cut ties with www ...he's the equivalent of the mob, and cal's sold his soul to him. the ncaa will eventually catch up to him; i just hope it's after cal has one or two years at ky under his belt, so they get the scrutiny too.

as for the derrick rose stuff, i'm optimistic...now there's reports that his high school changed grades on transcripts for not just rose, but 3 other seniors from that year. couple that with the SATs, and this could very easily fall on simeon high school, not any university that accepted a simeon player.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 8:58 am

oh, and RC has always been, and will always be, a complete & total idiot. the only thing that scares me is if he gets canned, i trust shirley raines about as far as i can throw her to hire a good AD.

she seems incapable of thinking about two things at once...she wants to concentrate on the u of m being a premier research university. that's wonderful, but you CAN improve academics & athletics at the same time. if she does the hiring, she's going to hire a younger version of RC who will be her lap dog instead of cal's, and the athletic program will suffer.

we need a younger AD with a real VISION about how tiger athletics can prosper, but i don't trust the current leadership to get someone who has that.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 10:56 am

How much of an egomaniac is she? You would think that even someone with the semi-deluded notion that the U of M will be some premier research institution can understand how important milking Tiger basketball for all it is worth. Perhaps she is smart enough to understand...and Fred Smith and Fogelman can certainly help her along in this regard cos I am sure she wants that FedEx and whatever it is Fogelman owns money!
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 11:55 am | Edited by: robin

Maybe she's sick of dealing with it. I imagine that it must be irritating to be an academically-focused school president and have to deal with this crap over and over again. Remember how much shit the poor woman at Cincinnati got when she (rightfully) fired Bob Huggins? But then again, it comes with the territory. It's stupid that we live in a world where the two (sports and academics) are so intertwined, but we do.

As a Memphian first and a Tigers fan second, I'd be scared to see her go. We could get some blowhard who would give the program what it deserves, but might let the school fall to shit. That would be way more detrimental to the city than losing seasons and having banners taken away.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 12:51 pm

Fred Smith and Fogelman can certainly help her along in this regard

thank God for them...they refuse to see the u of m fail, on both the academic AND athletics side.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 12:52 pm

Maybe she's sick of dealing with it.

she never has dealt with it in the first place...we have yet to hear her even comment on the current situation, which is beyond ridiculous.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 1:38 pm

I imagine that it must be irritating to be an academically-focused school president and have to deal with this crap over and over again.

It is only irritating for the students and professors who could care less about sports. A school president of any college that size has to has to HAS TO understand how important the big sports are and a money maker like Tiger basketball...she's an idiot to ignore what it can bring to her fried ivory tower.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 2:39 pm

Who hires university presidents? Would the board do it? And is there any precedent for a university president being fired for athletics? It wouldn't make the school look too hot.

Also, this is reassuring. Sorta. Except for the part that makes it sound like Calipari was as surprised by the SAT stuff as anyone else.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4222106
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:09 pm

OK, so I read the above and my main thought is "Why isn't the NCAA Clearinghouse held responsible?" Especially when they clear them to play?!?!?! Coming back a week after we lose in the final SUCKSSSSSSS...
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 3:12 pm

OK, so I read the above and my main thought is "Why isn't the NCAA Clearinghouse held responsible?" Especially when they clear them to play?!?!?!

I wonder if this is why they wouldn't clear Angel Garcia to play. Like, if they were already scrutinizing the team(s) last year as well.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 4:13 pm

Who hires university presidents?

for us, it's the Tennessee Board of Regents....just ONE more reason why we need our OWN board of directors, like UT has, but the state of tennessee would prefer to keep us under their thumb so they can make eww tee "THE" state university.

the TBOR handles just about every other university, community college, & vo-tech school EXCEPT for UT, so of course, memphis's best interests aren't always at the forefront, as where they would be if we had our own board.
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 6:18 pm

In happier Tiger news, I just saw Josh Podnah hosting his first Tiger Basketball Camp and it was so great. Pierre was running drills! Well, HE wasn't running, but he was calling them for the kids!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 9:25 am

when mr niles talks, you listen. big!
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 10:13 am

http://www.facebook.com/people/Martin-Ngaloro/791927073

He loves Les Simpsons! And he has a baby! He's gonna fit right in.

"Steve Urkel est LE MEC"
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 10:17 am

"Steve Urkel est LE MEC"

PRICELESS.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 12:05 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

well, i think that's the best answer they could have given...basically, "the NCAA cleared him to play, so we take the NCAA at their word."

now it'll be left up to the NCAA to pull out more evidence to prove anything. good luck to the ncaa on finding something that doesn't make Kansas guilty with the Arthur situation as well.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/02/memphis-response-ncaa -not-enough-evidence-say-ther/
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 1:50 pm

Not enough evidence to say there was violation

This response and most everything in this article has probable court case written all over it...which in one way I hope doesn't happen, but in a bigger way, I hope it does as it may bring on forced change to the NCAA.

They are challenging the NCAA by having an attorney disclose this to the media rather than the AD or university president. I hope for the best but this seems like a reactive legal response which indicates they may have more concern than they are letting on.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 3:23 pm

this seems like a reactive legal response which indicates they may have more concern than they are letting on.

maybe so, but i'd be surprised if this weren't par for the course when there's an investigation of this nature. it would be foolish for the u of m to show all their cards immediately. let the ncaa give up a little more info if they have it, then the ball bounces back to our court.

if what i'm hearing about this being more about building a case ultimately against www & cal is true, then the ncaa may really not have much else to it....not yet, at least.
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 3:27 pm

i just wish there was a way to get the ncaa clearinghouse in on this action. i mean, they held angel garcia up practically all season, but derrick rose & darrell arthur get waved through.

[sarcasm]SURELY the almighty ncaa isn't just waving 5 star players through in an effort to boost ratings, are they? *gasp!*
[/sarcasm]
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 4:19 pm

i just wish there was a way to get the ncaa clearinghouse in on this action. i mean, they held angel garcia up practically all season, but derrick rose & darrell arthur get waved through.

That is why I wish there would be a lawsuit...a class-action lawsuit against the NCAA, if that is what you'd call something with multiple athletic departments vs. the NCAA...there is certainly some crafty attorney who could build a suit with damages...look at the money Memphis alone has lost recruiting and holding scholarship spots for stretches of time while the NCAA fucks around. I don't know, it is a stretch but if I were some smart, young attorney, it sure would be fun as hell.
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 3:52 pm

cohen's pissed and he's doing something about it!!

we need a congress just for sports issues!
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 7:28 pm | Edited by: saispas

One more reason to vote STEVE COHEN!!!!

('cos Willie would never bother with these important matters!)
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 6:32 pm

the xavier/cj henry soap opera continues and gets weirder:

man hates own alma mater
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 7:59 pm

"The guy that wrote that story betrayed my whole family," Carl Henry told 610 Sports. "He kind of made us look bad, like my kids are prima donnas and all I do is talk."

Um, I'd say he hit it right on the money, Carl. If Cal can deal with all these bitches, go for it. It's gonna bite him in the ass one of these days.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 11:41 am

"He kind of made us look bad, like my kids are prima donnas and all I do is talk."

sounds like that just about sums it up, Carl.
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 1:54 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®