Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Harahan Bridge
Posted: May 1, 2009 9:14 pm

Posted: May 1, 2009 9:16 pm

I dont have time to reed the story right now though!!!
Posted: May 1, 2009 9:33 pm

Shit i just read the stricle...it gives me the creeps...I think Im this HARAHAN guy in a past life!!!
Posted: May 1, 2009 9:36 pm

Posted: May 1, 2009 9:36 pm

weird, i just had a test about this.

the Harahan bridge was built in 1916 and was named after Rock Island Railroad president J.T. Harahan.

it was damaged in a fire in 1928.
Posted: May 1, 2009 9:38 pm

the sign says illinois central. my professor is a fuckin liar!

harahan was a railroad gansta.
Posted: May 2, 2009 2:13 am

those pictures in the first link from the arkansas side are cool. i've only seen it closeup from the memphis side. wanted to check out the roadways leading up to it on the other side of the river, but i'm unsure how to get there. (you'd think being a teenager for a couple of years in arkansas i woulda known these things...)
Posted: May 2, 2009 8:25 am

did you see the bunker at the bottom of the bridge on the memphis side...cook!!!
Posted: May 2, 2009 8:25 am

ooops i mean cool!
Posted: May 2, 2009 10:30 am

did you see the bunker at the bottom of the bridge on the memphis side

yeah! it's been sealed up for a number of years now, but you can still tell where it was. pretty neato.
Posted: May 4, 2009 12:36 pm

the Harahan bridge was built in 1916 and was named after Rock Island Railroad president J.T. Harahan.

the sign says illinois central. my professor is a fuckin liar!

According to the sign, he was president of Illinois Central until 1911. The Harahan Bridge wasn't opened until 1917. I'll assume he moved on to Rock Island after Illinois Central.
Posted: May 4, 2009 12:45 pm

Posted: May 4, 2009 12:47 pm

yeah, i checked the article. he was rock island pres. when the bridge was built.

but, he was killed before the bridge was finished when his automobile was struck by a train!

prof. wasn't lying.
Posted: May 4, 2009 1:21 pm | Edited by: saispas

those pictures in the first link from the arkansas side are cool.

brigeport rd exit off 55 (coming from Memphis--turn left to go back under overpass). Turn left on Dacus Lake--only road on left. Keep drivin thru fields and be on the lookout for drunk property owners with guns. Also beware of these when and if you go on the levees to drink etc.
Posted: May 4, 2009 2:09 pm

on the lookout for drunk property owners with guns.

huh. I always thought scrogers was fibbing about that.
Posted: May 4, 2009 2:16 pm

You know I ain't never lied!
Posted: May 4, 2009 2:16 pm

Shit, you been to my brothers house!
Posted: May 4, 2009 3:01 pm

Shit, you been to my brothers house!

point taken
Posted: May 5, 2009 8:33 am | Edited by: saispas

The appearance of drunk property owners in the country is the best time to mention other drunk property owners (dead or alive) that you know and that they'll likely know. I always have pulled this in Arkansas. RIP Grandaddy Bill.
Posted: May 11, 2009 3:43 pm

brigeport rd exit off 55 (coming from Memphis--turn left to go back under overpass). Turn left on Dacus Lake--only road on left. Keep drivin thru fields and be on the lookout for drunk property owners with guns.

Those were the exact same directions I was about to give. It is super-cool to walk up on the old ramps and poke around. Go in the middle of a blazing hot day in midsummer and no one will bother you.
Posted: May 11, 2009 4:12 pm

It is also cool to get up on the levee but you really may get hassled. Still, you should try. I used to go get on it around Proctor, not the stretch close to 55, but heard that some crazy guy was out there pointing a gun at the game warden last week.
Posted: May 14, 2009 12:58 pm

iM EATING PAYNES bbq AND SITTING ON harahan bridge RIGHT NOW!!!
Posted: May 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Did you get up on Memphis' side? The Arkansas side is flooded like crazy!
Posted: May 14, 2009 10:58 pm

I swam back over from ARK to memphis side and did'nt even spill my beer from PIG AND THE POKE!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®