Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / murder by my house last weekend
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:01 pm

I missed the 10PM news Saturday and Sunday, and missed [a href="http://www.wreg.com/wreg-police-search-for-midtown-killer-story, 0,4767399.story"]this story[/a] until a friend alerted me to it today.

Apparently, early Saturday AM, this guy Michael Neil Krauss and a friend were walking up Cox, north of Central, when a guy held 'em up. Krauss ran, got shot and died on the scene. Robber still at large.

I walk my huge dog down Central almost every day, and every so often, we take the Cox/Harbert/East Parkway loop past the GSL playing field. The poor guy died in a lady's front yard on Cox, between Cowden and Harbert. I don't walk after dark, but this still has me plenty spooked.

Anyone know the scoop on this?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:09 pm

I saw it on the news Saturday night, but could not tell exactly where it was as they identified the area as "Cooper Young". It looked like a nice little block too. Hello warm weather.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:49 pm

I live a block away from Cox on Vinton. I got home about 10 minutes before the guy was shot. I am pretty freaked out about it too.

I have only lived over here for about 6 months, and from what my neighbors say, nothing like this has ever happened. I spoke with one of the reporters from Channel 5 on Saturday, and she said they identified the victim Sat. afternoon after they towed his car, which was parked on Cox.

Rumor has it that none of the neighbors recognized the car or knew the victim. The police are being really quiet about it, but I would think that they would have a good description of the robber since the person the victim was walking with lived. I hope Armstrong or some other top- notch investigator is on it. There isn't a neighborhood association over here, is there? Would love to look into starting one.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:01 pm

A really good friend of mine lives at the corner of Cox and Harbert and his car was impounded for evidence because apparently there was a scuffle up against it and they wanted fingerprints. According to my friend and the cops, this was not a random murder. Word is it was a "transaction" gone bad or something to that effect! Dont quote me on that, but the dude was chased down and shot to death. Most folks that just want your fucking money wont chase you down and kill you.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:12 pm

This is what I am hoping. Shooting and killing someone in a random robbery makes no sense.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:29 pm

it was in the CA here: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/04/memphis-police-invest igating-2-homicides/

... Just over two hours after Williams was shot, Michael Neil Krauss, 42, of Memphis was shot to death in the 600 block of South Cox in Midtown.

At around 1:55 a.m., Krauss and an acquaintance were walking north on Cox when a man wearing a white hooded sweatshirt approached, pulled out a handgun and demanded money.

Krauss attempted to run away but the robber chased after him, then shot and killed him. No one else was injured in the attack.

++++++++++++++++++

the white hooded sweatshirt deal is weird.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:49 pm

yeah, I dunno... I can see where if he freaked out and ran towards someone's door, the robber freaked out and shot him. the front yards on that stretch of Cox aren't so big, and the lady they interviewed on the news said she heard the scuffle.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:06 pm

from what my neighbors say, nothing like this has ever happened.

uh...what about the pizza guy? Sorry you guys, but I think CY is dangerous.
And, this from someone who lives at Jackson and Hollywood. And, yeah, the VECA hasn't looked that great lately either.

There was a big story on this guy on the news last night. Apparently he was a musician, and they played that angle up good. They had an interview with one of his friends who looked pretty scabby. It was sad.

I wouldn't walk anywhere in Midtown at 2 a.m. Except to stumble to my car outside the HT, Buc, or Murphys.

RIP, though. It's awful.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:23 pm

What I meant was in a 2 or 3 block radius around here.. Lenox Highlands. I don't mean that to sound silly, as I know CY is close. But I didn't buy a house over there on purpose. There is very little thru traffic around here, and that's why I like it.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:06 pm

I wouldn't walk anywhere in Midtown at 2 a.m. Except to stumble to my car outside the HT, Buc, or Murphys.

I have my hypervigilant thing going on pretty much every time I am anywhere in Midtown. I guess my mom had some prescience with all her crazy anxiety to always be on the lookout, lock your doors and check it, look up and around you at all times back in 1978 when she drilled that shit into me. Helped living in Oakland too.

Weirder shit has started happening in our neighborhood a bit too now that the days are longer and nicer. Thank you old folks and your nosy Neighborhood Watching selves!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 1:55 am

Robber still at large.

Murderer still at large. The problem with the CY isn't the high crime rate, but that the new arrivals and visitors carry on like it's a safe part of town. Harbor Town drunks leaving Celtic Crossing's during their 3-block stumble to their cars make particularly easy pickings for hardened criminals.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:47 am

I have my hypervigilant thing going on pretty much every time I am anywhere in Midtown. I guess my mom had some prescience with all her crazy anxiety to always be on the lookout, lock your doors and check it, look up and around you at all times back in 1978 when she drilled that shit into me.

Yeah, my mom drilled it into my head too...of course, I grew up in Frayser, so even in the 80's, you kind of had to be "on your guard" most of the time out there.

MOST crimes can be avoided by common sense...locking up your car, having a house alarm *and using it*, being aware of your surroundings, etc. it's not foolproof, as I am living proof of, but it does go a long way to keeping you out of bad situations.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:53 am

MOST crimes can be avoided by common sense...locking up your car, having a house alarm *and using it*, being aware of your surroundings, etc. it's not foolproof, as I am living proof of, but it does go a long way to keeping you out of bad situations.

Also, never ever ever leave anything visible in your car, even a coat or something. I didn't learn that from mom, but the Portland street kids I worked with earlier this decade! They were some wily little crooks. And don't underestimate the power of looking up and around with a blank, serious face. Oakland when I lived there was crazy with person and property crime (actually way worse than Midtown is today, but similar) and doing that I know for a fact made people think twice about messing with me. The only thing that sucks about that is that it takes a lot of energy out of you.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:50 am

this happened in front of jon's house..jon went outside after hearing gun shots tried to help the guy who was hollerin out for help.. but he died in his arms ..jon is an ex marine and it still completely fucked him up.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:59 am

oh shit... I am really sorry to hear that about Jon -- know he's dealing with other stuff too.

and yes, I never leave ANYTHING in my car. have fortunately avoided major brushes with crime, other than dealing with identity theft via a box of checks 1st TN sent to the wrong address...
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 5:21 pm

I live in C-Y, and I walk to the Deli a lot. There's a lot to be said for the blank serious face. No headphones, no talking on the phone, just walking and looking like you mean business.

And it sounds stupid, since I live three blocks from there, but if it's after 9:30 p.m. or so, I'll drive.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 7:01 pm | Edited by: saispas

If you have on shades, great, but if not, squint a bit and make a bit of a frown. Just look like you just might explode if anyone even acknowledges you. One time in the Mission, Heather Belz and I still got approached so we started jumping around, screaming and blathering nonsense. It was ridiculous, but the guys left us alone post haste!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 8:10 pm

so we started jumping around, screaming and blathering nonsense. It was ridiculous, but the guys left us alone post haste!

I too, have used this plan.
I had someone walk in my house a few years ago...I never leave my door unlocked but maybe one of the kids did. He was an older dude, just an opportunist. I was in my room watching TV and could see him come in the door. I immediately jumped up and started screaming all kinds of stuff at him. He couldn't leave fast enough.

Also, during Hurricane E. I parked my car across the street when I was hauling limbs. Sure enough, one one of the limb hauls to the street I looked across and someone was trying to steal it (1982 Country Squire Station wagon.) I ran screaming out there, and my buddy came behind me carrying a chain saw. They got out of there quick.

BUT, the only time I was seriously threatened I shut the hell up and did whatever those guys told me to do. I was in an alley downtown...my bf nearly got us killed mouthing off to four guys with guns. The only reason we got out of there was that I was compliant.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 11:17 am

I thought Midtown and Cooper Young were the "safe" areas of town.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 9:58 pm

I knew Neil Krauss. Years ago, he worked at our studio (Rocket Science/Memphis Ind.) when it was Powerhouse Recording. He brought several clients in for me to work with when I was just getting started at our place.

When I heard about this I wondered if maybe there was more to the story. But after talking to a close friend of his this afternoon, it sounds like he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and was randomly targeted while walking home. When the killer attempted to rob Neil, he put up a fight and then ran for help after he'd been shot. There were two witnesses. Apparently the police were able to collect DNA and fingerprints, and the killer was described as a white male with light-colored facial hair and multiple tattoos.

I think it's easy for anyone to say how they think they'd react if given circumstances like Neil had to deal with that night. Adrenaline is pretty incredible stuff. I personally have fought my way out of a robbery scenario once, and ran like hell another time.
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 9:52 am

Ran like hell another time.

Ditto. I always assumed I would totally freeze.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 10:55 am

Midtown now is not like it was when we were kids back in the 70s and 80s. If you are lifelike Memphis people, you know this. Rising unemployment, a failing police/government apparatus, drug use. I also think that anyone who lives in Cooper Young has a screw loose. Too close to the 'Mound for my taste.

Sorry about the guy. Probably wrong place at the wrong time. If someone sticks a gun in your face, give up your money. No amount of money is worth one's life. Several years ago in New York City, some perp was mugging a couple, when the woman became incredulous and asked the robber, "What, are you going to shoot me with that?" Well, she's dead now.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 11:38 am | Edited by: tigergreen

I personally have fought my way out of a robbery scenario once,

me too...and I never would have pegged myself for the "fight" vs. the "flight" scenario. you just never know how you'll react until you're in the situation.

the next time the guy broke in the house while I was asleep, so I wasn't as inclined to "fight," since i had no clue whether he had a gun or not.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 11:57 am

you just never know how you'll react until you're in the situation.

THAT is what scares me. I'm afraid something down deep will take over and I'll wind up getting shot
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm

THAT is what scares me. I'm afraid something down deep will take over and I'll wind up getting shot

i concur. David constantly warns me about this, knowing my MS redneck roots. thank god i never been in that situation.

last week i went into bari at 9 30 pm to have a glass of wine. before i could even get out of my car, 4 teens approached me wanting to sell me candy bars. i sorta just pushed them out of my way and scurried into Bari. i'll be damned if these little fuckers didn't follow me INTO Bari and start soliciting the patrons. david was like, "next time, fucking get back in the car and back out and drive! fuck who you hit" never would have crossed my mind. i guess living in memphis for just 5 years hasn't erased the 29 preceding those from just pushing someone out of my way. much less, 4 of them.

be careful.
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 10:16 pm

A man walking his dog was shot tonight in the face on the 2000 block of Cowden. It happened at about 8:00 pm. It's a lovely street, between Rembert and Tanglewood.

What in the hell is going on???
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:34 am

A man walking his dog was shot tonight in the face on the 2000 block of Cowden.

oh damn it, saw this on the news but they said it was central gardens. dang, more crime in my immediate hood. they said a car pulled up and asked the guy for directions, then pulled away and shot him. apparently he's gonna make it.

guess we will stick to our noisy central ave beat from now on. no more lovely neighborhood jaunts. haven't/won't walk the dog at night, for sure.
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:37 am

me again.

I think it's easy for anyone to say how they think they'd react

last weekend, i watched one of those 20/20 48 Hours kinda prime time news programs -- the episode was all about gun control. it was fascinating to watch people who were trained as excellent shots once they were thrust into a pretend crisis situation -- most of 'em couldn't pull out their guns in time, or went wild shooting innocent bystanders instead of the criminal.
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 11:28 am

Walk the Chester every night down Cox. Gonna start carrying my gal's majorette baton for sure! See ya in the obits!
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:33 pm | Edited by: Chicken

I think it's easy for anyone to say how they think they'd react

whats more important is to be prepared for how THEY will react. a guy at the border went into fight or flight mode all of a sudden. they sprayed him with pepper spray to get him to stop throwing chairs and stuff at them. he didn't even feel the pepper spray because his adrenaline was pumping.

you can't always rely on a pepper spray keychain as a defense tactic. when i went through that course, i didnt feel it until the fight was over! not at all!

you will react however you have prepared to react. if you have never prepared or never been around handguns, never learned what is't like to face one, you will prob freeze up and piss your pants shortly before getting shot, unfortunately.
Posted: May 24, 2009 4:41 am

Neil Krauss was one of my best friends for 25 years. We were teenage sweethearts. I hadn't heard from him for a while so I called his mom and dad because I couldn't get in touch with him. They told me that he had gotten murdered just 2 blocks from home and on my birthday.First of all Jon I would like to thank you for holding him in your arms.I live in NC. and you will never know how much it means to me to know that he wasn't alone!!!!!!! Now it was not over drugs!!! He was not stumbling to a car because he didn't drive. He had a bad hip and had to wear a brace on his leg from being robbed and beaten several years ago.And anyone who knew Neil knew he never carried but a few dollars on him. My biggest question is where was his friend when he was laying there dieing? I think there is more to this story than what the police are telling.He was a great musician and a wonderful person. And if he was your friend you had a great one. My husband and I are just sick over the whole thing and we pray they catch the no good for anything person who did this to him.Words can never say how much we love him and we will miss him so much.R.I.P. my friend I.H.A. MICHAEL NEIL KRAUSS. If anyone out there has any info on this please write me.And Harvey Tunnel I would like to talk to Jon and thank him.You can get in touch with me at leoknightus@gmail.com Thanks
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®