Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Lets starting having earlier shows on weeknights.
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:43 am

Does anyone benefit from the shows starting so late?
There would be a much better turnout if the shows ended at a decent hour.
At least the headliner should be done by 12:30.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:43 am

While I am being old and grumpy, Stay off the damn lawn!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:57 am

and can the out of town bands please not be pushed back to the end of a four band bill that was advertised as starting earlier and having said bands play in the middle.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:13 am

what they said.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:18 am

Ditto.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:46 am

Hell yes.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:00 pm

I think, first, people will start needing to beleive that this is happening before it happens. Other wise, the opener is going to be playing to an empty room for the first few months after this policy gets "enacted" -which is okay if you're, say, TSOT who doesn't care if anybody seems them or not.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:01 pm

Most fuckers just wait around to see if their two friends who said they're going to show up, show up until complaining on the part of the "headliners" forces somebody to take the stage.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:21 pm

Most fuckers just wait around to see if their two friends who said they're going to show up, show up until complaining on the part of the "headliners" forces somebody to take the stage.

Yeppppppp...I think this problem is universal, so someone is gonna have to be The Manager on this bands: "Get to work or you need to clock out and be terminated, sons."
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:28 pm

Does this happen in any other city than Memphis? I've never lived or spent any great amount of time in a city where shows start so late on the weeknights. It seems to me to be a strictly Memphis phenomenon.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:49 pm

This is what ya get when the clubs allow the bands to dictate the show times. Nobody wants to be the "bad cop" and tell everybody when to play, yet each band wants the best slot. 90% of the time the bands themselves don't know the show order before they get to the club...

As for last night, it's beyond me why ya need two local openers on a Monday night - and I like both bands!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:53 pm

Earlier shows = playing to no one.

HIGH FIVE!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:13 pm

Sam, I think HB feel the same way. I know I do.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:20 pm

I always wondered this as well. I was never really sure if this was the fault of the bands or the club. I assumed it was the venue *cough* hi-tone *cough* trying to sell as much Schlitz and PBR as possible.

I would go to way more shows during the week if it werent for this stupid procedure.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:58 pm | Edited by: hitone

We're very keen on the bands starting earlier on weeknights. Being a four band bill last night, it did run very late. Nothing in the world would make me happier than to be done doing my closing work before 5:30am. I'd love to make everyone start by 10, but as heyradio pointed out, nobody wants to play to an empty room... especially if they think their friends are on their way. The "easiest" solution would be for me to, in addition to bartending, chase the opening band around demanding that they start before 11 or 10:30, or whatever. We've tried that before, with mixed results. Everybody has to sacrifice a little in order to make it happen. Its not just the venues (and I say venues because I have been to other shows, at other places, on weeknights that run just as late as ours do) The bottom line is, Memphis has been this way since as long as I've been here, and its going to take cooperation on our part, the bands part and the patrons to make it happen.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:01 pm

I know my old ass would get out to see more live music if this was the case.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:10 pm

Mary and I would be at a lot more shows if they were earlier. And I would probably drink more too, knowing that I had more time to sleep it off.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:11 pm

The thing is, the older folk want the shows to start earlier, but they are such a small demographic of show-goers that it's not worth it. And let's face it, the old heads still wouldn't go out all that often if the shows started at 8 pm. Fact is, "the kids" don't even start trickling in until 11 pm at the earliest (and even there I'm being generous with my estimate).

If you want to go see early shows, learn to like emo/hardcore and go to all ages shows in Cordova.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:12 pm

Dan (or Jonathan?) have y'all ever thought of just having two shows? An earlier one for us old farts with youngsters and day jobs and then a later one for everybody else? Start the early show at 8 or 8:30 and the late show at 11?

Otherwise how 'bout just posting line-ups and showtimes on the website? We realize that the bands don't wanna play to an empty room, and it might cause some hard feelings among the bands at first, but no more so than the hard feelings you're causing your patrons with all the confusion now. If you're worried that the entertainment will run out before the booze, then have bigger bills - but the system in place now is broken...

Ah, just my two cents - still my favorite place to see a show...
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:15 pm

but they are such a small demographic of show-goers that it's not worth it

I beg to differ. I think you'd be surprised how many folks would come out early if we knew the showtimes...
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:26 pm

And I would probably drink more too, knowing that I had more time to sleep it off.

There is a reason that everyone says you should run for mayor, Hemant. Reasonable and logical!!! Or are those the same thing? Regardless, Hemant for Mayor!

Shows started like clockwork in Portland and while there were more weekend shows of consequence, there were plenty of weekday shows and plenty of "old people" there. Mixing with the youngsters even!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:27 pm

Shows started like clockwork in Portland and while there were more weekend shows of consequence, there were plenty of weekday shows and plenty of "old people" there. Mixing with the youngsters even!

Much bigger scene. Apples and oranges.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:31 pm

Why you gotta be so negative, man? Seriously though, I know a good dozen people who would love to come out, have a good time, and go to bed early enough to get to work in the morning. I'm one of 'em.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:34 pm

You can say that, but local band shows with perhaps some out of town, semi-unknown to most of the world bands were more similar to Memphis than you'd think.

Portland of now could be very different as it thinks it is Brooklyn Jr., but from 2000-2007, this was the drill. And local bands would play tiny shows with like 20 people there and rock out regardless, so I don't wanna hear that crying!!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:44 pm | Edited by: hemant

Maybe the bigger scene was due to shows starting earlier and on time?

The late night trend prevents people who have kids or early jobs from going out. Thats a lot of us. I haven't really heard anyone say that they wouldn't go out just because a show was early.

I would say that the show last night was older, but I knew a lot of people who could not go to the show last night due to it being so late.

Jughead, I like the idea of having two separate shows!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:45 pm

I would venture to bet that we could double or triple the number of people at shows by having them earlier.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:54 pm

i'm gonna echo that earlier shows = more people. i realize it's a tough sell at first, though. people with straight jobs still want to rock.

when i more or less lived in the bay area for 5 months, a lot of weeknight shows were over by 12:30 (with the opener going on like at 9:00 or 9:30) . there might have been some ordinances at play there though?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:09 pm

if you are a local musician, and you would like to help us try this out, email me at hitonecafe@gmail.com and we will set up a weeknight show that starts as early as you would like.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:31 pm

I would venture to bet that we could double or triple the number of people at shows by having them earlier.

Yep. I mean, at a certain point a lot of people who love the musics have to get a straight world job and get up at the crack of dawn to get ready to be there. These people still drink also. I will be drinking as soon as I get off work.

The bars close at 2PM in the Bay Area and Portland too...that helps people get chop-chop about these things.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:31 pm

Its not just the hitone or whichever venue's responsibility. Its going to take all of us.

All of us who want to see earlier shows will have to make an effort to support the early shows. We will have to spread the word that a good show is happening early. We will have to come out and show that it is a viable option. The bands playing these early shows will have to play on time or get cut off.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:39 pm

I didn't even have to get up early this morning, and I didn't go last night because I couldn't fathom a 4 band bill on a Monday night. Finances and bad timing (I'm always out of town when there's someone I really want to hear play) have kept me out of most Midtown venues this year, but I've got to say, the thought of hanging out in any one place for hours waiting for bands to start, keeps me out of the bars more than anything else. factor in the down time between dinner/finishing up work/watching a movie and waiting for it to be the witching hour, and I'll likely end up in my pajamas, in bed with a good book. it's not very rock and roll of me, and 20 years ago, I would've vehemently disagreed, but there you go.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:44 pm

Jesus fucking Christ! Like clockwork about once a year someone has to start this thread. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the idea of earlier shows. In fact I love the Sunday matinee shows that have been going on at the Bucc., and I definitely part of the old crowd at this point. I just hate hearing the same thing over and over again (just for the record, I'm not bitching at Hemant. Love the guy. I'm just bitching about this subject). In my years of bartending at Murphy's, the Buccaneer, and the Hi-Tone I saw I don't know how many attempts BY BANDS to start shows at 9:30 or 10:00. They advertised "This show will start at 10:00 ON THE DOT!!!", and at 10:00 NO ONE would be there. So you you push it back a little. At 10:15...still no one. The first band starts at 10:30 still no one. The first bands finishes a little after 11:00, maybe 10 people are there. Now the second band has just watched the first band play to no one, and they're almost as bummed out as the first band is. So they don't expend any energy trying to hurry up and get on stage. The next thing you know you're back on your regular schedule because people are still only just starting to come in at 11:30, and the show isn't over until 2 AM.

they are such a small demographic of show-goers that it's not worth it

I beg to differ.

I know a good dozen people who would love to come out, have a good time
I knew a lot of people who could not go to the show last night due to it being so late.
i'm gonna echo that earlier shows = more people.

Really? I don't know. You may be right, and I'm gonna tell you how we find out and put this problem (and annual thread on the Goner Board) to rest once and for all.
All of you who are complaining (and all the friends you know who would have been there if...), when there's a show advertised as being early, whether you like the band or not, come out to the show. Pay the cover. Don't try to get in on the guest list or because your buddy's bartending that night. Then, when the show that was advertised as starting at 10:00 hasn't started by 10:05, go ask for your money back and leave. If there's really enough people that feel that strongly about it you'll see the way shows happen in Memphis change REAL fast.
You can all thank me later.

Now can we get back to a subject that matters like the nanerpuss?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:53 pm

This is what ya get when the clubs allow the bands to dictate the show times. Nobody wants to be the "bad cop" and tell everybody when to play, yet each band wants the best slot. 90% of the time the bands themselves don't know the show order before they get to the club...

Yep. The wanting the best slot thing is pretty universal (although I've heard some pretty juicy stories of dirty dealing here to get the prime slot), but not knowing the order beforehand is a pain, and the bands being basically in charge of things is not a good idea.

No offense meant to anyone on the bar side, because mostly things have run pretty smoothly on shows I've played. The exceptions were the two shows I booked myself, and the one time we played a late show after an early show. That was a nightmare; the early band thought that as they left the stage after 10 that they were just taking a set break, and then proceeded to schmooze and sign autographs and stuff instead of tearing down their shit.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:56 pm

and can the out of town bands please not be pushed back to the end of a four band bill that was advertised as starting earlier and having said bands play in the middle.

I am sorry that the bill was listed differently than it was advertised, but usually you let the out of town bands play in the middle so that people won't leave before they play. Last night everyone was there to see Nobunny. Everyone involved agreed he should play last so that all the band would have a decent spot.
I won't apologize that you didn't get to leave before we played. If that sounds selfish to you...well it is. Tough shit.
Next time we could have Nobunny play by himself. He could do a 20 minute set at 8:00, another at 9:00, another at 10:00, and one more at 11:00. He could play to groups of 10 people at a time. That sounds like a blast!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:03 pm | Edited by: memoryman

In response to Scott's post:

I hear you on all counts. The problem I see with the scenario you give is people are trying to split the difference; they want to do an "early show" but still want to cater to the night people. If people really want early shows, they need to do early shows. I'm talking 8pm start times. Of course if you're doing it at a venue that also has a late show you could run into problems, but I'm sure arrangements could be made.

Also, 4 band bills are ridiculous.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:18 pm

The idea of doing 2 shows isn't a terrible idea. I have no idea how it would work in reality. I don't think you should have two different shows (one set of bands early and a second set of bands later). It should be the same set of bands doing both shows. I personally would be able to give it a try, but most people in bands are lazy bastards.

Four bands bills are usually a terrible idea. Last night it couldn't be helped.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:23 pm

most people in bands are lazy bastards.
Check.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:55 pm

Jesus fucking Christ! Like clockwork about once a year someone has to start this thread.

It is an annual thread, but now we're all old enough that it really ticks us off enough to do something about it

The two show idea works in other cities. Different bands would be great. That way, HeyRadio could play a late set, Hemant's one man band could play the early set. Out of town bands and headliners could play both if they want to. The bar wins if people stay for both sets.

Alternatively, the show could be advertised with published times that each band starts using unusual numbers, such as :

8:17: TSOT
9:13: Tire Fire
10:02 Louie

Those specific times makes it clear to everyone what time it starts, and that show times are strict.

just for the record, I'm not bitching at Hemant. Love the guy.
Gay!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:09 pm

It is incumbent on the venue to have their hired entertainment start at a specific, pre-agreed time (preferably reasonable for music fans) that customers have information about. This works in the film industry and it works in most live music venues in the world--outside of mid-town Memphis. Otherwise you will lose customers to venues that do run a more professional ship.

February's VivaL'AmericanDeathRayMusic show is an egregious example of having a very non-popular opening band ruin the show for fans of Death Ray by not beginning til 11:30 p.m. What the fuck??? Who gives an opening band with no fans such authority to determine the time of show?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:29 pm

One night not too long ago, I went to the hitone to see a out of town group play, there was a woman (apparently just moved to town for one of those pesky day jobs and didn't know the mores of memphis) there at the bar who came to see said band because they had a write up in the flyer, i think. It was now about 11 and she was pretty pissed that nobody had started playing, the openers were still sitting around. of course it's her fault for reading "doors open at 9" as "music starts at 9".
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:31 pm

When is this going to end? This problem is not the bands fault nor the club. When you play in a band (like Hemant and Jug do) you know the difficulty it takes to gather the certain number of band members with different schedules to practice, learn how to play, go to the guitar center for assorted effect pedals, and show up for gigs. After all that effort, do you really want to play shows at all when you go on at 10 and nobody is there? Does the bar want to force these hard working bands to play for an empty room because someone has to work at 7:00 in the morning who gave the bar $6 in business that night?
Does anyone benefit from the shows starting so late?
Yes. The bands get heard and the bar sells booze. You can't tell me that if you have to work at 7:00 in the morning, your gonna go into a bar and run a hefty bar tab because the show started at 9 instead of 10:30. This so called "older" crowd are light drinkers. Can't blame you for having a better job than I have, just don't wanna hear ya complain. Customers no matter how big or small are greatly appreciated at pretty much any business. Especially in these hard times we face currently. But the fact is, the late night drinkers keep the doors open for business. Bars/Venues would close if they tried to cater to the light drinkers. The late night boozers aren't gonna stick around without entertainment. I think everyone here is in agreement about shows starting earlier would be a great thing. The bands have day jobs/kids they have to get to also. This problem can only be solved by customers, fans, and the fashionably late actually showing up early. The venues have tried it, the bands have tried it, when is the clientele gonna make it happen.
Set show schedules are nearly impossible when they involve out of town bands. Some people don't make it on time, equipment might crap out during a set, the venue might not know how long a bands set is going to be. It is impossible to say that my band is going to start at 10:37 two weeks before the show.
P.S. - Why does this discussion always get directed towards the Hi-Tone? I didn't hear anybody bitch about FAGGOT going on too late the other night. Who would of thought a half naked guy in a bunny mask would bring out the more responsible citizens? I hope this thread goes on and on and on cause years of bitching on the internet has brought us all this far.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:47 pm | Edited by: Jughead

Buck and I have knocked this around at work today - this is a subject that routinely comes up and we usually just go around in circles, but he makes some good points (and I defer to him because he’s on the front lines here and at the Hi-tone):

Shows don’t start til late, because the show-goers never show up til after 11. Now we can go round and round about who’s “fault” this is. But the fact is this (at least at the Hi-Tone): the club and the bands are there ready to play at 10 pm, but nobody shows up til 11. The bands don’t wanna play to nobody (especially the openers who’re playing for next to no money as it is), so they wait til the “crowd” shows up. Of course, that means the headliner won’t get on til 1 or later, and everybody goes home late. But at least the club makes some money at the bar - which wouldn’t happen if the shows actually started on time at 10, and they forced the openers to play to nobody and whole shebang was over by 12:30 or 1. Because then everybody’ll just go to the Bucc…

It’s a double-standard to hold the Hi-Tone to a policy that the other clubs won’t follow, but I just wonder if the system can be improved. So I ask these questions:

1. What is the right amount of people that need to show up before the show can start? 10… 20…50?

2. Why is it unreasonable for the patrons of a club to expect a posted show order? I’m not asking for a down-to-the-minute schedule, I’m talking about something like:
Music starts at 10:30, X plays first, Y plays second, Z plays last…

Lastly, I don’t know if last night’s show is a good example of “egregious”. None of the bands played too long and the show was over well before two. Now, that’s a tad late for a Monday, but it’s not ridiculous. And if the headliner asks to play last, then I think you have to accommodate them…
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:53 pm

I thought the early show last week at Nocturnal went pretty well. It didn't start right at 8:30, but ended in time to get the early risers home and the night owls had options.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 6:55 pm

Four bands bills are usually a terrible idea. Last night it couldn't be helped.

To elaborate, GoG was asked to do one of those "monday residency" things at the Hi-Tone in April before the Nobunny show came up. As I understand it, Perfect Fits were already signed on to play with Nobunny and RnR adventure kids (which makes a lot more sense than girls of the gravitron opening) and then the two shows just got combined. We asked to play first since we knew it would take us the length of anywhere from 7 to 10 Nobunny songs to set up, and we aimed to get there by 9 to go ahead and get that over with. I think at around 10 I was on stage with everything set up as a friend walked in and could immediately sense from that atmosphere that the show wasn't close to starting. He said "I thought it was going to start at 10" and I remember responding "in Memphis that means 11:30." (He's been out of town for a while so he must have gotten used to "real" time.)

I guess the problem is that no matter what steps you take to allow things to start on time, or how much everyone involved would like it to start on time, in the back of your mind you just know that it won't. It's hard to make it start on time if deep down you never really thought it would, and you know no one in attendance really expected it to either.

Maybe if bands and promoters want to say 10 and REALLY mean it we should say 8:30. Most Memphians would show up at 10 not even expecting to have missed anything, and life would go on as normal. (except then the after-show all night parties would have to start at 1am and who knows what kind of toll that would take on our "scene"! maybe it's not even worth tampering with)
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:02 pm

This problem can only be solved by customers, fans, and the fashionably late actually showing up early.

exactly. Lets hear some suggestions on changing it.

PS> This is not directed at the Hi-Tone. I love the bar.. I am just trying to frequent it more. Murphys and the Bucc have the same problem.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:08 pm

Aren't the late-night drinkers going to be out late drinking regardless of whether there is a show or not? And would the places that serve food be helped by the occasional weeknight show starting at 7 or 8? Of course it all comes down to supply and demand. In some ways it's just like the old complaints from people who didn't go see shows because of the smoke. Have they started going to significantly more shows (and buying drinks) now that the law has changed?

In looking at this as an issue of "early shows for lamers with day jobs", any show that starts after 10 is gonna be a late night. The issue of bands not starting "on time" is a completely different one.

And while I have sympathy for the out-of-town bands, barring the occasional mishap on the road, yes they should be able to know in advance when and for how long they are playing. If they can't schedule their tour in such a way as to leave them plenty of time to get to the next venue, well maybe they should reconsider the whole thing.

My hat's off to the local bands that show up and are ready to rock at 10 or 10:30 regardless of the crowd.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:09 pm

Lets hear some suggestions on changing it.

I'm gonna tell you how we find out and put this problem (and annual thread on the Goner Board) to rest once and for all.
All of you who are complaining (and all the friends you know who would have been there if...), when there's a show advertised as being early, whether you like the band or not, come out to the show. Pay the cover. Don't try to get in on the guest list or because your buddy's bartending that night. Then, when the show that was advertised as starting at 10:00 hasn't started by 10:05, go ask for your money back and leave. If there's really enough people that feel that strongly about it you'll see the way shows happen in Memphis change REAL fast.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:29 pm

This problem can only be solved by customers, fans, and the fashionably late actually showing up early.

exactly. Lets hear some suggestions on changing it.

How about this: Charge people that arrive after 11:00 PM $2.00 more on the admission price.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:43 pm

Does dtrain have a solution?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:09 pm

How about this: Charge people that arrive after 11:00 PM $2.00 more on the admission price.

Not bad! They can spend that extra $2 at the bar!

Hey, I'm working on a plan, but I probably won't know everything til tomorrow - stay tuned...
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:42 pm

Aren't the late-night drinkers going to be out late drinking regardless of whether there is a show or not?

That was my question after reading the last post by Buck. Also, the idea that these nazis, the older people (ha! I love it), are light drinkers compared to any random 20-something patron is pretty funny to me. The only difference between a 25 year old heavy drinker and a 35 year old heavy drinker is how much more the 35 year old will feel it the next day.

Thus, the cause of the never-ending thread.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:27 pm

I absolutely loved the format of the Anna Ives benefit show. While I realize that the show was an exception rather than the rule, due to sharing musicians and instruments, the early start seemed to be pretty popular -- the place was packed by 9:30.

Do all shows need to start that early? No. But if there were one or two a month that got an early start, I'd certainly dig it and would have a much easier time talking other folks into going.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:47 pm

I have to add that for those of us coming in from out of town, the late starts can be nice, however if we bring non-goner friends and attempt to introduce them to the Memphis music scene it doesn't fly.

and also, the old drinker vs young drinkers? I call bullshit. the oldsters can drink just as much and probably have more credit/disposable income to blow on the likker, also? more likely to pay cover higher than $5.

Good ideas y'all. It's a toughie - I LOVED the late night options when I was a singleton, but even then trying to hit 2 or 3 shows midweek didn't work so well with job(s).
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:23 pm

I actually really like that idea! Don't know if it would work, but I like it.

I get complaints ALL THE TIME about shows starting late, including ours (and we are pretty good about starting by 11, or 11:30 at the latest).

We usually get around the problem of opening bands by not having any. If starting on time means the opener's going to play to no one, why have an opener at all?

I enjoyed the Anna benefit, too, and got a lot of compliments on the format/timing. That worked partly because the three acts shared some members, and a lot of the gear.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:46 pm

I don't try to get in on the guest list. There are three ways I go to shows - when I'm working sound, when I'm playing, or when I really want to see at least one of the bands on the bill. Saw Evil Wizard Eyes about a week ago at P&H. They weren't supposed to be the last band on the bill, but they were. If it had been a weeknight I'd have split, because I can't stay out until three if I have to work the next day. How late did MOTO run last month?

I love the music that's being played in this town. But a man's gotta sleep.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:07 am

While I am being old and grumpy, Stay off the damn lawn!

We was just getting our stick ball, mister!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:27 am

When the Flamin' A's play, we guarantee that no show will start later than 7 p.m.... ON ANY NIGHT!!!

Being that the average age of everybody comes out to be about 40, it's safe to say we want to be in bed by 9:30.

I'm not missing 10 pm sportscenter to hang out in some damn dirty bar!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:16 am

bands: when there is a set time publicized by the venue, just make sure your no-count friends and douchey myspace fans get wind of it. tell em it's for real. really. they'll come. once it becomes habit i would wager the weeknight crowds could feasibly double.

obviously weekends are a different breed, as (1) there will be more people showbound anyway, so screw these Andy Rooney mothers (me incl.); they'll deal (2) there are often multiple shows that are interesting to the same show-goers, so if there is a guaranteed draw at one spot, it might behoove other bands to negotiate their start time across town.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:20 am

Alternatively, if you could talk my job into letting me show up at 11am instead of 7am, that would also be an acceptable solution
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:30 am

Alternatively, if you could talk my job into letting me show up at 11am instead of 7am, that would also be an acceptable solution

Exactly.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:36 am

bands: when there is a set time publicized by the venue, just make sure your no-count friends and douchey myspace fans get wind of it. tell em it's for real. really. they'll come.

Not true. Seen it many times.

once it becomes habit
How long will that take? God only knows.

i would wager the weeknight crowds could feasibly double.
Possible. No way to tell.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:46 am | Edited by: hemant

We need more than just bands starting on times.

We need to try more shows like the Anna Benefit. A fundamental change in what times that bands start and end. EVeryone drunk and happy and home early, ready to repeat the next day. (Pissed that I was out of town for the early nocturnal shows).

If the bars want more bands after the headliner, that would be great too.

I really like the $7 idea too. Thats great incentive for the audience to be there on time.

Obviously we need to collect more data about h
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:01 am

I'd say yeah, but knowing me, I'd still want to get the hell out by 5PM.

Weekends who cares? Later the better. Other days, why not try some earlier and leave the rest. And I encourage the sharing of gear! I'm sure people will scoff at this, but that was one of the rules for a band I was in once upon a time: (1) Always be the opener, so we can play semi-sober sets and then get drunk and watch the other bands (2) Always borrow the other bands' equipment (exceptions our magazine rack hi hat and guitars) so we can spend more time getting drunk and (3) Always wear new and interesting ensembles, even if they are of questionable taste.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:32 am

It is incumbent on the venue to have their hired entertainment start at a specific, pre-agreed time (preferably reasonable for music fans) that customers have information about. This works in the film industry and it works in most live music venues in the world--outside of mid-town Memphis. Otherwise you will lose customers to venues that do run a more professional ship.

another reason why "the industry" is lame and memphis is alright for being pretty removed from it.

show last monday was awesome (w/ exception to my band)...if you dug the bill, it was probably worth a once-a-week workday hangover.

next monday is a TWO band bill
girls of the gravitron + useless eaters. we will start around 10:30 probably
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:33 am

and its free
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:45 am

show last monday was awesome (w/ exception to my band)...if you dug the bill, it was probably worth a once-a-week workday hangover.

Show was awesome. Didn't intend on this thread to be critical of any show, band, or venue. I (and about 100 other people) want to be able to see more shows!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:17 am

peace out just play whenever folks will show up when they hear the drum circle. I thought you moved to d-troit. 4 bands on a monday nite bill with no set schedule...good luck with that.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:27 am

Today: The industry is lame! We can stick it to the man by starting a five-band bill at midnight on a Monday!

Next week: We're so awesome, but why doesn't anyone know about us? We never get any respect!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:29 am

It is incumbent on the venue to have their hired entertainment

there's one way- if the band has a guarantee for all the bands, you can say "you get $100 for starting at 8pm or nothing at all."

that's not how it works.

no one has anything invested in shows starting early so they don't start early. I like Rumple's idea. Also, ladies get in free before 9 might get ladies in, and where ladies go, the fellows will follow. cheaper drinks 8-10 might work, too.

SF has the mighty COALITION OF AGING ROCKERS http://sf.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/10/Coalition1.jpg starts shows at 7, guarantees the bands end by 11. If everyone knows the rules, and follows the rules, it can work.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:32 am

the problem with memphis is there is no real PROMOTER. Most shows are set up by bands for out of town bands. it then becomes a huge clusterfuck of who plays when and "well my friends won't be here til 1130 or 12." musicians are like children. we need some type of authority figure to set schedules. i used to play shows for thrasher in portland, we played when he said, for how long he said.if we didn't like it he'd find somebody else. sometimes we'd have to start at 930 and it would be less than stellar. we played with guitar wolf and started at 10, the club was sold out by 945. supply and demand, if its a good(i.e. popular) band people will come out early. ive been to shows at the hi tone at 10 that have been packed. no bunny on a monday night in memphis should start at 930. better yet, he should have just played the goner store as i'm guessing he didn't really draw too many heads from outside the message board gene pool.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:35 am

If I had known when Nobunny was playing on Monday, I would have gone. Guessing which time amongst 4 bands between 9 & 3 am? Nah, I'll pass as the industry doesn't have 5 hours to wait for kole to get high & show up with his pedals & the other 2 people who told him they were coming.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:47 am | Edited by: kol 1945

sherman,
i think nickelback is playing minglewood hall next month

theyll probably be punctual and maybe draw a younger crowd for you to perv on

creep
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:55 am

I'm not sure what that means (haven't perved much lately), but I'm more likely to go to a show that has a schedule than a 4 band non-schedule monday night kolsterfuck. And I might even stumble on a good band opening up while waiting for the headliner if the show is well-promoted & advertised, unlike last mondays. The way that one was run, not so much....you just hurt your own band's chances of having an audience by being so slack...you'll figure it out when you sober up.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:08 pm

i dont feel the need to apologize, neither should hitone or anyone else.

we had the night booked and the other three bands asked to get on the bill.

perfect fits, nobunny, rocknroll adventure kids are all good acts, of course they should play.

there was a pretty good crowd for a monday night

sorry you couldnt make it sherman
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:13 pm

sev- surprising amount of people out on a late monday for NoBunny... yes faces I don't know, and couldn't have fit in the Goner Store.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:14 pm

No one is asking for an apology. Don't get so defensive. If you want people to see your band, let them know in advance what time & where you are playing. This is mainly the club's job--but with myspace you can do that for free to your fans & friends. The paying public decides who they want to see based on cost, desire, time/day of show. Without that information, people will likely pass...
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:26 pm

Also, ladies get in free before 9 might get ladies in, and where ladies go, the fellows will follow. cheaper drinks 8-10 might work, too.

I have absolutely no squabbles with either of these ideas.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:31 pm

the problem with memphis is there is no real PROMOTER

Sev, you hit the nail on the head as far as why Portland was completely different in this regard. Thrasher booked various venues, but then each (typically smaller) venue had their own booking person (Chantelle, Sam etcetcetc), who was exclusive to organizing everything for each show. It seemed that the only shows where bands really ever had to do everything themselves were basement shows and even those were often relatively early because of the noise ordinances.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:39 pm

Addendum to my earlier idea: The guest list goes in the garbage after 11:00PM . If your friends can't be bothered to get there by then, they gotta pay like everybody else. Just call me Door Nazi.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:57 pm

My 2

in order for behavior to be changed, you must have consequence. Just start having the shows start earlier. If you see a schedule that says BAND YOU LIKE is playing AT THIS SPECIFIC TIME then you will go see that band at that time. 90% of all this time politics is usually the opening act trying to manipulate the situation so more people are forced to see them. It is simple as that. If people like your band and want to see you play then people will see you play. if no one sees you and this continues to happen, well, then maybe people dont give a shit about your band.
The headliner should dictate when the other bands play, no ifs and or buts. I dont know where this sense of entitlement comes from, just get on the stage and fuckin play. If no one is there, well boo hoo, you are the opening act...better luck next time. Rock music should be dictated by the laws of Darwin, the fittest will bring folks in regardless of what time it is...too much of this everybady gets a trophy bullshit. Opening the club earlier and having 2 more hours tacked onto the beginning to sell booze cant be a losing situation for the club either.

Bottom line if someone is willing to not see your band because they would rather do something else at your showtime, then they probably didnt really want to see you anyway.

If you are playing in a rock band in Memphis, you aint geting rich at it (obvious exceptions of course, but the irony is the dude who is getting rich off of his music now plays shows at an earlier time and on schedule because that enviornment dictates it) so I would think that if you want to be in a band, you are doing it for yourself because you enjoy it..if you stop enjoying it because no one is coming to see you play, well then quit and move over, there are 10 other bands that want to take a crack at it.

Pissing and moaning that no one is going to see your band because the club is making you start too early is ridiculous.

and as far as the Hi Tone unjustly getting the brunt of this argument is probably because folks really care about the Hi Tone, they like going to shows there... it is a music club who primary bread and butter is live music...Murphy's and The Bucc are bars that happen to feature music...apples and oranges.

Just start earlier...it wont kill the music scene

If people like your band they will come see you
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:59 pm

If people like your band and want to see you play then people will see you play. if no one sees you and this continues to happen, well, then maybe people dont give a shit about your band.

And Vinyl Richie for Deputy Mayor!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 1:28 pm

Great points and ideas being made on this thread! Love the ladies night, no guest list after 11, extra $2 late, etc...

One thing I do at the the store when we have shows: tell the bands when they have to stop. I'll say you can play as long or as little as ya like, but the show's over at 7. So wait as long as ya want for the peeps to come, but songs are coming off your set list the longer you wait (I realize this isn't an apt comparison to a club situation - just thought I'd throw it out there)...

To Severin's point, I think when you book a show at a club, you become the de facto promoter (at least with things the way they are now). So it's up to you to publicize the show time, show order, etc...
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 1:48 pm

Two great ideas so far that address two different problems:

$2 more after 11 (to cure the late arriving crowd)
8:30 early shows on weekdays for us early birds.

The $2 idea is great. It pushes the responsibility back to the the audience to show up on time. The bar or the bands don't have to take up the slack for slower audience members. And the bands would get paid more.

I also like the idea of early shows on weekdays starting right after dinner.. like at 8:30 or 9, with headliner at 11. Everyone ends up killing time after dinner anyways..might as well get started.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:02 pm

Sounds like the good thing about Memphis! Try living in some town with only one guy booking shows. It becomes musical/scene facism in short order. Savor your freedom.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:09 pm

but the irony is the dude who is getting rich off of his music now plays shows at an earlier time

juicy j?
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:10 pm

Sounds like the good thing about Memphis! Try living in some town with only one guy booking shows. It becomes musical/scene facism in short order. Savor your freedom.

i agree with this

sherman,
you seem so industrious and entrepreneurial, maybe you'd do better in Nashville?? also, thanks for the info on myspace. we were all wondering how that thing works and what them youngin's are doin on it all the time!

also, accusing musicians of drug use doesnt really work
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:21 pm

koal:
Are you actually giving career advice?
Good one.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:23 pm

It becomes musical/scene facism in short order. Savor your freedom.

Well, what do you know? I have to say I agree with this. Luckily there were several+ booking people in Portland so it didn't ever get as bad as all that.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:25 pm | Edited by: jerryd

I also like the idea of early shows on weekdays starting right after dinner.. like at 8:30 or 9

Who the hell eats dinner at 8:30 or 9?

Try 6 at my house, brother. By 8:30 or 9, i\'d be willing to pay the band to come to my place and play in the den while i'm sitting in my jammies
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:33 pm

i\'d be willing to pay the band to come to my place and play in the den while i'm sitting in my jammies

$ guarantee & address?
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:42 pm

those sunday matinee shows at the bucc rule.

they run about 5-9pm usually...and people drink like it's midnite to 3 am.

on a week nite, move the start time to 8 or 9 nine and the whole things done by 11 or 12.

and vinyl's right, if people like yer band they'll come...if not, then tell yer 2 friends to come hang out at yer band practice.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 2:52 pm

those sunday matinee shows at the bucc rule.

Those Sunday Bucc shows have been a real treat for the Pacemakers
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 3:22 pm

This so called "older" crowd are light drinkers.

Bullshit. If older means mid 30's and over, complete bullshit.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 3:24 pm

no one has anything invested in shows starting early so they don't start early. I like Rumple's idea. Also, ladies get in free before 9 might get ladies in, and where ladies go, the fellows will follow. cheaper drinks 8-10 might work, too.

i don't just like this b/c i'm a female. this is a pretty clever marketimg trick. specifically b/c the younger bucks that are used to showing up to a show after 10:30 (No matter what time the show is listed to start) are the ones that will more than likely change their times to meet their lady friends out. which, in turn, fits with the desired schedule of the older crowd. although most guys are actually and honestly at shows here for the music (unlike many other cities) perhaps the ladies will help them want to come out earlier.

many many times i have asked what time a show starts and gotten the pattented "It's Memphis, same time everything starts" or asked my friends what time they go on as the first band is starting and they have no idea. Although, I kinda find comfort in the raw & unstructured music scene in Memphis; I too would go to more shows were they at least earlier if not also listed ahead of time order of appearing bands. For instance, HiTone Monday nights, The Limes... knew what to expect, good time, didnt last til 5am, went almost every time.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:11 pm

This so called "older" crowd are light drinkers.
HEY VULTURES! THIS DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE OLD AND CAN'T HANDLE THEIR DRINKS!!!!!!!
That's why I called it "so called." And the term "light" doesn't mean you drank 2 beers and can't walk. It means your gonna have a beer or two and call it a night because you have a responsibility to tend to in the morning.

If I weren't quoting what someone else said(hence the quotation marks), it would have read like this...
This so called "early" crowd are light drinkers.

Aren't the late-night drinkers going to be out late drinking regardless of whether there is a show or not? That was my question after reading the last post by Buck.
Did you really read it though?
The late night boozers aren't gonna stick around without entertainment.

Charging $2 for showing up after 11pm is a horrible idea. They might work until 11 and want to see the show. Why not charge the people who leave early an extra $2 cause they aren't spending as much at the bar? Well, they might have to work at 6am. These are both equally bad ideas. Charging more and letting in half the room for free based on their sex is not gonna change show times. I sick of hearing about how stuff works in other cities. We are in the hole we dug ourselves. Show times have always been the same since I've been going to them. Was it the "older" crowd who paved the way and are now complaining? Memphis doesn't support music as much as some other cities do. Are big 40-80 folks here in midtown who go to shows regularly, can't support every gig 7 days a week. We need more underground music fans to come forth in this town and support. I'd love to know how many locals attend Gonerfest each year. I'm sure it goes up every year, but the out of towners out weigh us big time.
Let's work together on this and stop pointing fingers. Were gonna give sweet ol' Dan a heart attack.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:14 pm

Lotsa good points being made. Totally agree with Ned and Vinyl Richie. Personally speaking, I play music mainly for myself. I get as much satisfaction out of clearing a room as well as packing one(rare). I don't ever expect to get paid at a local show because i have day jobs (3 to be exact). I would have absolutely no problem with shows starting earlier, BUT what about people who don't get off work until 10 pm? Just because you have a full time job doesn't mean you get off at 5 or 6 pm. I also don't think that more people would show up if shows started earlier because I don't think many people give two shits about music here (especially good bands that aren't well-known). Harlan could pack a room at 7 pm, but that doesn't hold true for a band like Useless Eaters, who rule. I'll play devil's advocate and say nothin's gonna change. I'm 30 and I'll still keep playing AND going to see other bands AND make it to work every morning 6 days a week. Rock-n-roll is a choice and not a convenience.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:23 pm

Try 6 at my house, brother. By 8:30 or 9, i\'d be willing to pay the band to come to my place and play in the den while i'm sitting in my jammies
Preach it!

I've decided I can't go to shows anymore, because I have to drink to stay awake before I even get there and I'm sick of being some kind of drunken old lady joke.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:25 pm

Rock-n-roll is a choice and not a convenience.
END OF THREAD.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:32 pm

Take a tea or coffee. You don't have to be a drunk to enjoy music (although we were brought up that way). I can't have more than 2 or 3 beers without a hangover anymore anyway. I didn't like hanging around clubs until 2am to see a band I liked even when I was young! Plus, daytime rocking rules. What about weekend Matinees? We used to have them at CBGB and they were fun. Seen Sonic Youth the first time at like 3 o'clock pm on a Saturday in the early 80's.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:35 pm

the TSOT, Useless Eaters, Masshysteri show was over by midnight. It started it at 9 because when I promoted the show I said it would start at 9..Insane concept, I know. Dude. Thanks. Your welcome.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:42 pm

Take a tea or coffee.
Can't do caffeine...coffee's definitely out at any point in time. Tea's for lunch at the Women's Exchange with mom, or fall and winter mornings.

What's wrong with you, riggler? I give you the perfect opening to slam me about my drunken ways, and YOU PASS and offer me some nice advice. I'm really liking what little Ronnie's birth has done to you!

I would LOVE to see some early Saturday happy hour shows. I can't make the (awesome - I was able to come once) Pacemaker shows on Sunday because that's the day that all the kids can come to Sunday dinner. And we eat at 6...like normal people.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 5:54 pm

the TSOT, Useless Eaters, Masshysteri show was over by midnight. It started it at 9 because when I promoted the show I said it would start at 9..Insane concept, I know. Dude. Thanks. Your welcome.

Chris, that one worked great. If anyone was at that show it should be the ideal for what is being discussed.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks. Also, if youre old and you need to be in bed at a certain time so your boss dont piss on ya the next day, maybe you should quit pretending to be a "rocker" and tuck yourself in.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 6:46 pm | Edited by: Will

cool attitude, guy. maybe these elderly people are actually fans and not exactly concerned with "pretending to be rockers". in fact, some might say that's for people who are too fucking cool to show up to a gig until midnight.

this thread is fucking stupid.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 6:48 pm

Also, if youre old and you need to be in bed at a certain time so your boss dont piss on ya the next day, maybe you should quit pretending to be a "rocker" and tuck yourself in.

History, my boy, history! Like it or not, a lot of people on this board have been rocking the Memphis for 20+ years, and don't subscribe to the "if it's too loud then you're too old" thing. One of the greatest things about Memphis music is that it gets in your blood and STAYS there...60 or 16, you whippersnapper.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:14 pm

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:27 pm

Did you really read it though?
The late night boozers aren't gonna stick around without entertainment.

I really read it and I disagree; late night boozers generally love to hear themselves and their fellow late night boozers pontificate; jukeboxes and decent DJs do just fine as background to drunk ramblings and attempts to hook up.

Or is that just with older drinkers?

Rock-n-roll is a choice and not a convenience.

OK then let's have some choice: Some early shows, some late.

maybe you should quit pretending to be a "rocker" and tuck yourself in.

Wow. I stopped pretending to be much of anything once I hit 30 when, you know, you are pretty confident in who you are and don't have to pretend anymore.

When does this thread take a turn towards being Logan's Run II?
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:39 pm

I dont need to red this whole thing to say that one of the local should have played last... yes most people where there to rock with the rabbit and couldnt set through the whole fucking night.. I swear whos fucking idea is a 4 band bill on a weeknight .. At least share fucking backline and play for 20 minutes not the "short " 40-45 minutes set that both locals played..
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:06 pm

okay, white flag
thursday night is a weeknight, here goes

June 4th at the Buc

show starts at 6pm!
w/ 1st band outdoors/cookout

The Boy Toys
Digital Leather
Girls of the Gravitron
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:07 pm

*cookout would be weather permitting
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:11 pm

*late show in the works
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:55 pm

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one

When i was in 3rd grade, i had class with Ted Fly, who in fact was born with no asshole. He eventually had them poke a hole in his behind and runa tube up to hos poop canal, BUT, for a while, he had no asshole.

Come to think about it, he didn't have any opinions till he got his new balloon knot.

Quinn, i think you're on to something.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:22 pm

Ah Memphis.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:38 pm

Sorry for being so gruff, dudes. I didn't get my afternoon nap and the staff canceled bingo.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:30 pm

Will I saw you up at Perkins at Eastgate around 4 for the Early Bird.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:47 pm

Living in London has been a revelation. The evening shows start around 8:30, depending on the venue. A lot of the venues put up a schedule and generally stick to it. Of course there are a few venues that just can't get their act together but they end up losing customers. Tav played the Dirty Water Club here once and went on so late that the next time the contract stipulated that he would only get half his guarantee (or some such) if he didn't go on by a certain time.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:12 am

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:26 am

JB Stole my joke.

I am going to cry now, because I am old and emotional.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:31 am | Edited by: jerryd

Here's a thought, and ned actually touched on this earlier. I think a lot of the problem is people feel like they have to get tanked to have a good time at these shows. Have a few beers and then cut yourself off. It's proven the body and mind can function well on 4-6 hours sleep. But it probably can't on 4-6 hours sleep after 8 beers and some whiskey. Went to a show a few weeks ago that i thought would be over by midnight, but instead he played for 3 + hours, and after two beers, i called it a night at 1:15 and headed home. He was still playing, by the way, but i had to be at work by 7, so i took off. I'm pretty sure the secret was 2 beers, not more. And i had a great time. Had no problem functioning at work the next day.

Save the heavy drinking for the weekend when you don't have to get up for work the next day.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:38 am

jerryd....he speaketh the truth
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:40 am

It's proven the body and mind can function well on 4-6 hours sleep.

Let me speak to these researchers. 7.5 hrs MINIMUM to function normally. 8.5, ideal. Even if I drink water, if I am not getting that sleep, I am all messed up the next day. I have a neurological condition that likely exacerbates this, though.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:22 am

okay, white flag
thursday night is a weeknight, here goes

June 4th at the Buc

show starts at 6pm!
w/ 1st band outdoors/cookout

The Boy Toys
Digital Leather
Girls of the Gravitron

ask and ye shall receive! thanks!

how did peeps asking for more opportunity to see shows turn into peeps judging others by their drinking habits? the ones that will sit and drink regardless of time place etc will be their regardless of time place etc. so, if the band starts earlier, the late night drinkers will still be there. the only reason they weren't before is because noone else was there yet. or, perhaps they will crawl out of their la-z-boys and toss the 40 early to head to the bar b/c people are actually there earlier to listen to them talk or see them there not talking. haha
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:23 am

sorry, not awake yet
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:34 am

So let me get this straight: Audience doesn't show up till midnight because bands don't start playing till midnight. Bands only gin playing at midnight because audience does show up till then. ?
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:27 am

So let me get this straight: Audience doesn't show up till midnight because bands don't start playing till midnight. Bands only gin playing at midnight because audience does show up till then. ?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:12 pm

Jim Marshall aka The Hound used to throw Hangover Hops on Sunday afternoons back in the day. Getting tanked early in the day listening to good music with friends. It was fun.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:55 pm

sev- surprising amount of people out on a late monday for NoBunny... yes faces I don't know, and couldn't have fit in the Goner Store.

sorry i missed it. i was down the street with wizard eyes rocking the bartender and an extremely fucked up geriatric woman's face off.

Sounds like the good thing about Memphis! Try living in some town with only one guy booking shows. It becomes musical/scene facism in short order. Savor your freedom

eh. i don't buy this. i wasn't tight bros with the promoter. i had a kickass band and we drew an audience. he'd put us on shows with headlining bands we liked, we brought in extra people to the show. win win. and this was in a huuuuge hipster fashionista town. if feeling good about shoving around hipsters with ironic scarves, facial hair and t-shirts makes me a fascist,... well i guess i'm just a dick then.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:27 pm

i had a kickass band

you were no pornstore janitor.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:04 pm

you were no pornstore janitor.

dude. those guys had a song called "drink, drive and masturbate." sahweet.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 12:04 am

sorry i missed it. i was down the street with wizard eyes rocking the bartender and an extremely fucked up geriatric woman's face off.

(shudders) I know the one you mean. I'm not gonna name names, but someone made out with her for money one night. Right after she threw up.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 1:07 am

This is boring.
I'm ready to start the "Memphis Radio Sucks" thread.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 8:38 am

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe people don't want to see the opening bands no matter when the show starts?
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:12 am

That's a good point! TSOT to the rescue! For $50, we will open up any show, at any time. People are guaranteed to try to miss us, and the "official" show can start approximately 35 minutes after we begin.

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED BY ETRAIN!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 10:48 am

Anyways, lots of good points on this thread. And a couple of really upset people! I had no idea you could get so emotional this stuff. I'm still forging ahead with this because I want to see some rock shows on weekdays, and I don't think I am the only one.

DATA collection time! I've set up a couple of polls based on the some of the ideas presented. I think the results will let us know if there is actually demand for early shows. I should have done it earlier before people got tired of this thread.. but here it is anyways.

Poll
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 11:14 am

Nerd.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 11:27 am

Nerd.

no Kidding!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 2:17 pm

There are a couple of problems I see with your poll (bring on the jokes). One is there isn't an "I don't care" option. I enjoy early shows, and I enjoy late shows. The only thing that really makes me more or less likely to attend is whether or not there is a band playing that I want to see.
Second, your poll results don't show the actual number of people voting. 100% of the people may want to have earlier shows, but if there's only three people voting, who gives a fuck?
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 2:33 pm

nice. it tells how many total voted (at least it does now). i like the fact that you didnt just bring up a thread for bitchings sake, but read it, took note of what people wanted, AND actually created a poll to get something moving on remedying the concern.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 3:10 pm | Edited by: heyradio

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe people don't want to see the opening bands no matter when the show starts?

Nailed it.

(shudders) I know the one you mean. I'm not gonna name names, but someone made out with her for money one night. Right after she threw up.

Heard about that. Sad to know it's true. Ugh.

That's a good point! TSOT to the rescue! For $50, we will open up any show, at any time. People are guaranteed to try to miss us, and the "official" show can start approximately 35 minutes after we begin.

Evil Wizard Eyes already does this for free beer!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Shawn, can you email me? david@mummware.com - it's about playing on Mondays. For free beer.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 5:29 pm | Edited by: hemant

There are a couple of problems I see with your poll

My poll is perfect!

Okay... maybe not. I made it in about 10 minutes. But I am glad I did. I was under the impression that more people were for the $2 late fee than the early results show. But there is strong support for earlier weekday shows!

Yes, I left out the "I don't care" option... I figured if you didn't care then you wouldn't bother voting.

I can add additional polls to the page, but I can't change the ones already posted without resetting the data.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am

Your poll is good. It shows there are only about 26 people who claim they would like earlier shows. Your poll is not perfect. It still doesn't offer people the option to vote that they don't care what time a show starts.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 5:45 am

As a soundguy it doesn't matter to me what time a show starts, except that it starts when advertised. I get there well ahead of time so that I can be prepared and you won't have to wait on me. Please return the favor.

Here's my thoughts:

-Whoever booked the show should be there before doors open to:
A- let the bar/soundguy know what's going on, who's playing when, etc,
B- make sure the door is manned,
C- make sure the first band knows that they're the first band and that they start when they should, even if the singer's current tart-of-interest hasn't made it yet.
D- ferry the bands on and off of stage...the next band shouldn't have to wait for the drummer to take a piss, smoke a cigarette and get a beer before he moves his kit.

-Bands should:
A- show up before their allotted time. If you're supposed to play at 9, that doesn't mean get there and start setting up at 9,
B- be able to set up reasonably quickly...If your set up time is longer than your set then maybe you need to run some drills next week at band practice.
C- when it's your time to play, PLAY. If that cute cashier you're trying to impress is too stupid to tell time then she's likely not worth making everybody in the bar wait on her.
D- when you're done playing git yer shit off the stage so the next band can set up. You can chat with your adoring fans and sell them merch later.
E- enroll in my upcoming symposium "Playing live: learning how to work with the soundguy.

All of that really applies to any show, not just early shows.

I don't want to become a full-time booker, but if it'll help get the ball rolling...anybody who'd like to try some early shows at Nocturnal please raise your hand and I'll see if I can't get something in the works.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 7:51 am

I like it, Luke!

Your poll is good. It shows there are only about 26 people who claim they would like earlier shows. Your poll is not perfect. It still doesn't offer people the option to vote that they don't care what time a show starts.

Suggestion noted! I added the question to the poll. Results of other polls are not affected.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 4:07 pm

i haven't read this whole thread so i'm sorry if this idea has already been mentioned....

when i lived in nyc, there was a bar that would have an hour of "free" well drinks and pbr 1 hour before show time. i think it was a pretty good idea because it got people to come out to the bar earlier than normal, and there was almost always a decent (and already fairly drunk) crowd there to watch the first band. sure, the bar has to eat a little of the cost (who knows maybe they were getting the bulk of the door anyway), however i think in the end people are going to be ordering more drinks since they're at the bar earlier.

maybe the hi tone or murphys would want to try doing that? if not free, maybe still offer drink/food specials from 8:30 - 9:30 and then have the first band go on right at 9:30.
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 4:58 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

I like to start drinking around 5:00 because I need to be asleep by 10!

You people need to stay home and watch beastiality porn, and spy on the neighbors using the bathroom on weeknights like goddamn normal people!!!
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 11:10 pm

When the Flamin' A's play, we guarantee that no show will start later than 7 p.m.... ON ANY NIGHT!!!

Being that the average age of everybody comes out to be about 40, it's safe to say we want to be in bed by 9:30.

I'm not missing 10 pm sportscenter to hang out in some damn dirty bar!

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 9:47 am

sometimes bands play too loud and out of tune on weeknights
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 10:55 am

Leave it to Linda to sum it all up in a clean little sentence!!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 6:38 pm

this goes on here in salt lake and provo, its the main reason i started doing house shows.
saispas is right, we start earlier because of noise ordinances, we usually have to be done by 11:30 or we get cop trouble.but we also have the out of town bands play in the middle, with the exception nobunny. most of the bands that come through no one really knows about. he was different, he played last because enough people knew what was going on and quite frankly none of the locals here could follow him. brimstone howl is playing next week and we may let the go last because this is their second time playing and a lot more kids know about them now.
as far as late memphis shows, i love it. earlier is ok, but you can always take a nap before the show if you gotta get up the next day.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 10:01 am

sometimes bands play too loud and out of tune on weeknights

that would be sambeaux
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke!
Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke!
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm | Edited by: CharlieAngel

I hate early shows. I come home from work and I want to relax, change clothes, and just sit back for awhile, maybe even take a nap before I go back out. An 8PM show means HURRY HURRY HURRY, GOTTA GET HOME GOTTA GET HOME, CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE, EAT EAT EAT, SHOW SHOW SHOW and that's just too fucking stressful. Late shows suck in many ways, but I can/would/do go to more late shows than I ever did early shows.

As a band member, I also prefered later shows as I feel really weird getting plastered before 10PM.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm

if i need to get up early, i just don't go out. or if i'm *really* into the show, i just don't drink and i'm fine the next day.

i like the afternoon shows on sundays. i don't get to go out to them a lot here much because i usually am busy on sundays, but they're fun. i work on monday mornings, so early is nice.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 8:02 pm

If your set up time is longer than your set then maybe you need to run some drills next week at band practice.

This completely goes against the dynamic that is Heavy Beagle.
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 8:23 pm

I just take the next day off. Of course I can't do that very often, so it forces me to consider which bands are worth it - like Dexter Romweber last week!
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 8:01 am

Where the fuck did Dexter Romweber play last week?!?
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 8:01 am

Posted: Apr 14, 2009 9:19 am

when i lived in nyc, there was a bar that would have an hour of "free" well drinks and pbr 1 hour before show time.

April is right. This is a huge incentive for people to come early and bands to play on time. I've seen it first hand. The crowd is usually so big, you have to order 2 drinks at once cause the line is so long, your probably only gonna get 2 , but wtf...it's free after you pay the admission.

Have the 1st band play 30 mins after the "free well drinks" start.
Perfect timing...

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED BY APRIL!....and dtrain sorta...
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 10:35 am

uh, scott... some people that post on here live in other places... far far away... like your dream spot San Francisco... it's true!
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 1:09 pm

There's no shame in setting your alarm clock for 5:55!

I'm proud of it.
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 1:27 pm

He comes to Memphis on 6/3 at the Hi-Tone with the universally loved Detroit Cobras.

We get him again, too, in May.
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Is June third on a week night?
Because if it is, he needs to start playing at 4:00 p.m.
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 1:42 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

I feel really weird getting plastered before 10PM.

You'll get over it.
The only reason you feel weird is because you probably remember everything. Drunken black-outs put the spice into life.
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Wednesday Night:

Let's do this (not too early but at least you know when the show STARTS)

River City Tanlines 10pm
Goodnight Loving 11pm
Useless Eaters 12:30

BUCCANEER!

Beer and Hard Alcohol will be sold before, during, and after the bands play!!!
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm

yeah, for Hemant! (and me!)
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Beer and Hard Alcohol will be sold before, during, and after the bands play!!!

problem solved!
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:12 am

He comes to Memphis on 6/3 at the Hi-Tone with the universally loved Detroit Cobras.

Are there two Detroit Cobras?
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 6:42 am

Are there two Detroit Cobras?

Zing!
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 10:12 am

Alright, alright. It's my fault, but I assumed that since this wa under the "Memphis" thread and was about show times in Memphis that maybe he was talking about a Dexter Romweber show in Memphis. My bad.
As far as San Francisco being my dream spot...I think you're confusing me with someone else. Aloha.
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 10:37 am

Let's do this (not too early but at least you know when the show STARTS)

Awesome! I'll be there at 10!
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 10:47 am

Dexter is coming! Hold on!
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 10:54 am | Edited by: hemant

Looks like the poll is going pretty well. Nearly 100 responders! Thanks to everyone that voted.

Haven't figured out what exactly to do with the information yet, but the numbers are significant. We at least know that people who want early shows are not a small demographic as suggested earlier.

Obviously, if you are going to promote a show, you can get more people out if you make it an early one.

There is clear demand for earlier shows. About 73% of the people want earlier shows before 10:00 on weekdays. A lot people have personally told me that they hope we can actually shift our show times so that they can start going.

Its a factor for 2 out of 3 people. That means that a show attended by 20 people could have been a 60 person show if it started an earlier hour. (or a $200 difference at the door!).

But The $2 late fee is clearly a dud.
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Detroit Cobras need to do an all MOTRHEAD cover set at 4:00 p.m.

I'll sell cheap bourbon out of my truck
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:41 pm

As far as San Francisco being my dream spot...I think you're confusing me with someone else.

LITTLEMISSMIKEFEDERLINE
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Well,

As Luke stated, Nocturnal would love to have some early shows during the week.

Great room, great sound, and needs the business.

Thank you.
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm

As Luke stated, Nocturnal would love to have some early shows during the week.
Awesome!
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 12:56 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

The Heaven's Gate and Ruby Ridge folks told me it was bad to sign up for web apps that I'll only use once.

Call this an absentee ballot.

My vote:
Does the start time of a weekday show affect your decision on whether or not to attend?
Yes. But it also depends on who it is. If Iron Maiden plays the Buc at 12:30, I'd still probably go.

Are you more or less likely to go to an early evening show?
More likely.

what time should a weeknight show start?
If you're calling it an "early show", 9:00 at the very latest. 8:00 at the earliest.

Should people arriving late pay $2 more?
No. This idea is pure idiocy.

If you answered yes to question 3, when should the fee start?
Sell "advance tickets" two weeks before the show, up to the show, then charge a slightly higher cover at the door if your band(s) are so hot-shit. That's how the big britches do it.

-Early shows for the concerned (with drink specials)
-Keep doing shows starting around 11:00 for the night-owls and the concerned pub crawlers.
-Early/late shows shouldn't happen in the same venue; you're gonna get one of the band-chicks-or-dudes/promoter/that-night's-door-man to kick out everyone between? Doubt it, and even if they did, the enforcing would be sketchy. So what are you going to do? Pay for a "licensed" door man? Not in this town.
-Bigger "free beer" cups for late night bands at certain establishments (you know I'm talking to you)
-Never start a gig at midnight on weeknights unless you specify in promotion first. I only budget so much for jukebox money.
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 5:09 pm | Edited by: hitone

If you go to our calendar at http://www.hitonememphis.com/calendar/calendar.htm
and click on the any show, we now have every set time listed. Of course, this is all subject to change, but, from now on, the calendar will reflect, as accurately as possible, the line-ups and set times. Hopes this clears up some confusion...

Also, you can still email us at hitonecafe@gmail.com to set up an early show whenever you like, if we have the date available. We have most of our Mondays and Tuesdays open in May, if you are interested. Thanks.
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 6:43 pm

dans still the man
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 12:57 pm

TSOT on 4/20 at 9pm!

i mean, SIR LORD ALGAE on 4/20 at 9pm!

you bring the LSD, we bring the psychedumponya!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Gamblers will assault the stage in august at 7PM!

Cause we are OLD!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Gamblers will assault the stage in august at 7PM!

Cause we are OLD!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Gamblers will be hittin the stage in Aug. at 7pm.

CAUSE WE ARE OLD!!!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:18 pm

CAUSE WE ARE OLD!!!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:18 pm

CAUSE WE ARE OLD!!!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:20 pm

CAUSE WE ARE OLD!!!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:32 pm

admin...please delete all tripple posts as my computer was a freezin....need to pay the bill...ugh..

sorry!
Posted: Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm

admin...please delete all my posts as i'm old!!!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda

someone needs to start booking shows for 6:00 a.m. at the BUCCANEER so I can "rock-out waisted before I go to school!!!!!

You're either a druk bastard, a southern baptist on the way to work, or both at 6:00 a.m.

That's REAL ROCK-N-ROLL!!!!!!
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 4:40 pm

CAUSE WE ARE OLD!!!

Old is not a excuse for incompetence.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Old is an excuse for incontinence.
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 5:53 pm

started at 9:45 last night!
Posted: May 7, 2009 7:47 pm

Old is an excuse for incontinence.

You like "old " dudes all up in yer ass?
Posted: May 30, 2009 9:38 am

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 4:05 pm

Booked a show for Friday June 26th at the Bucc. 4 bands. Thinking about a 9:30 start time. Is this too early for Memphis?
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 11:23 am

call chris davis.
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 2:52 pm

"call chris davis."

Huh?
Posted: Jun 21, 2009 6:47 am

sherman,
you seem so industrious and entrepreneurial, maybe you'd do better in Nashville??

Lol, if you think this is true go to the Springwater in Nashville or Betty's. No show starts before 11-11:30. The only shows that start on time are hardcore all-ages shows. Also, disregard all else, Sherman is bearing his toolishness.

Tim Tucker
Posted: Jun 21, 2009 6:50 am

call chris davis.

He won't hear the phone; too much hair.
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®