| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Coach Cal leaving
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:18 pm

for a little vacation.
"I need a little fun in the sun" said the coach
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm

disney?
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Maybe he needs to take a vacation to the coaching bench in Lexington or Madison Square Garden. He can take Bruce Pearl with him. I am sick of that slick haired, velour-suited loudmouth. Go' way.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 7:41 am

I was just kidding...I think
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:28 am

I was listening to Mike and Mike on the way to work this morning on ESPN radio. So far, no one had a compelling argument as to why Cal would go to Kentucky or Arizona, other than wanting to be more in the spotlight himself. There are not better recruits, but there is more TV. It is a vanity project. I hope he stays, because if he doesn't stay, every recruit we have for next year is gone.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am

just saw a developing story on ESPN saying Cal met with Kentucky yesterday and discussed the outline of a length of contract and salary.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:12 am

I hope he stays, because if he doesn't stay, every recruit we have for next year is gone.

Xavier Henry can't leave, right? I thought he signed an official letter of intent. Demarcus Cousins just verbally committed though, so he'll be gone.

Not that it matters if Henry stays or not- without a decent coach he can't do anything, anyway.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:14 am

Calipari told his team this morning that "Kentucky is the Notre Dame of basketball".
Goner
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:25 am

Still, HUGE opportunity for the right guy to come in and keep the momentum swinging if you run it similar to how Cal did it... kids still wanna play at Memphis.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am

Still, HUGE opportunity for the right guy to come in and keep the momentum swinging if you run it similar to how Cal did it... kids still wanna play at Memphis.

Yes they do...I am telling you, if this guy leaves for Kentucky, he will get his come-uppance. That school, the AD, the alum...they do not play when it comes to a bunch of stuff Tiger fans took in stride when it came to behavior of players and of a coach.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Nahh...I diagree eric o! These days kids sign with a coach not a school. Maybe local kids wanna play here, but kids with Natl college talent dont give a shit about the U of M, the want to go with Cal cause he can getem "ready" for the pros! I hate to be negative about it but that the way I see it!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:31 pm

But Cal is not the only coach, esp. in this day and age, who can get kids to want to come work with him for whatever reason. I know you see it like that Colin, but for example, Tom Izzo. He doesn't play that B.S. one-and-done/its all about the pros at all and what has Michigan State seen? Check this out:

The victory represents another watershed moment in Michigan State’s storied history. Every class under Tom Izzo has made a Final Four appearance in his 14 years as coach. This will be Izzo’s fifth Final Four appearance in 11 years and the seventh in the program’s history.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, if Cal leaves they better throw some money at Mike Anderson. If he doesn't jump, then they should take their time...
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Looks like hes gone. Lapides just said on 56 that Cal just had a meeting with top Tiger boosters and said he would accept the job. Its a baaad day for the Tiger program folks.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:06 pm

I also agree with Saispas about a Cal come-uppance - leaving for UK won't fix his inability to manage a game. Plus, they expect Pitino-like results every year - love to be there the first time Cal breaks out "the miserables", that'll go over great...

Read in the CA that Cal thinks UK is the Notre Dame of basketball. If he means they stopped being relevant over a decade ago, he's right! It's not an apt comparison though, because ND literally has their own national network ("NDBC"). Also, ND has tons of alumni in every state, UK not even close. At this point, UK is a great job like Indiana is a great job...
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Comon now..you know what that means! It means Kentucky is one of the most storied basketball programs in College basketball. Anyway...Im sure Sallie and Witherspoon will transfer and all those recruits will follow Cal! Damn!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Oh and Tyreke was gone anyway. So lets see we got Pierre, Willie Kemp, Preston laird..umm?
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:22 pm

The signed recruits have it in the letter that they are released if Coach Cal leaves.
So much for the "greatest recruiting class"
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Consider it done. Lapides is already saying as much on his show, we are hearing.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Oh yeah...which is a huge bargaining tool for Cal. They will go where he goes!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Oh yeah ...and word is Taggart was planning on leaving to play in Europe anyway! Bam!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 1:49 pm

I know this is not great news or anything, but the sky-is-falling melodramatics suck. This job was always a stepping stone for Cal and a truly, for Memphis. We have our Big Name back and a proven fanbase, supportive athletic department and city to back up a college team. I mean, I was stunned coming back here and seeing FedEx Forum all packed and crazy. Those qualities make us very appealing for many a great hoops coach...does anyone truly think that we are just gonna slide back down into Tic Price-ville mediocrity forever and ever? NO WAY!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Oh yeah ...and word is Taggart was planning on leaving to play in Europe anyway

so lets see, i could work my butt off and become an NBA first rounder or keep it all the same, leave early and go to Europe. oh thats right, were talking about Tags.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Apparently hes the only one in his family to ever go to college and will be supporting his family from here on out. Going to Europe for "ok" money as opposed to maybe going in the first round is probably logical really!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Europe money is nada compared to what he could make as a contracted first-rounder. He has too much potential to settle on this but he is a mentally-weak, lazy, inconsistent player so I am not surprised.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 7:26 pm | Edited by: colin

Nope...he dosent have what it takes to be a succesful NBA player. No way! He will graduate this summer and move on. We got Kemp, Mack and Niles. Sallie and Witherspoon are Audi 5000 to Kentucky and Xavier Henry is likely headed that way. God damn..as if I needed another reason to hate Kentucky!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 7:36 pm

It's gonna be pretty crazy the backlash that Cal gets if he goes through with this. Like Irsay in Baltimore kinda shit - except Cal was loved. I wouldn't want to be his kids in school tomorrow...
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 7:39 pm

That last post doesn't mean i'm condoning any attacks on his kids, btw!

I guess we shoulda known the snake-oil salesman was selling us snake-oil...
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 7:46 pm

'Cept it wasn't really snake oil...at first. We were paying a man who needed desperately to reestablish himself in the game. He did and then we started listening to all that hoo-ha togetherness bullshit that (to me) was a distraction from what I really care about, TIGER BASKETBALL. That team already had that "special something" long before that man came to town.
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 7:53 pm

What's truly fucked is the wreckage all these coaching carousel moves create. Because UK fans can't deal with not getting into the tournament ONE TIME, they have to wreck our program - in turn, we'll wreck Mizzou's or somebody else's. The NCAA has a freakin' billion little bullshit rules, but the really BIG STUFF, like whole programs left in ruins because people have to make an extra million bucks, is largely ignored. Contracts should be contracts. Schools, coaches, and players should HONOR them! Is this the message we wanna send our "scholar" athletes? If you can break your deal for a better one, go for it! The mind reels...
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 8:30 pm | Edited by: saispas

Agreed. It's like the kid,who I wanna say eventually agreed to come to the Tigers, who said he wanted to be able to transfer out without restrictions if Mike Davis left UAB. OK, things are really screwy when a roomful of suits are held hostage by an unreasonable request by a bratty 18 year old.

It's all so gross, but we made that jump the second we started offering millions to a disgraced coach named Cal!
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:25 pm | Edited by: jerryd

I don't think he's leaving. I could be wrong, but i think he'll announce tomorrow that he's staying.

Just a feeling.

If he leaves, then it's been good having him. There was Memphis St. basketball before him, and there will be Memphis St. basketball after him.

If he stays, then i look forward to an awesome year next season. If not, good luck at Kentucky and we'll move on to (eventually) bigger and better things.

He made us relevant again, so i can't be too pissed at him.

...i will add this- the lack of loyalty in sports these days makes me sick.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 8:53 am

I don't think there should be any perceived loyalty as soon as we went for a coach like Cal--on either side. We wanted someone more high-profile, to begin recruiting outside of the Memphis metro and to build our program. He wanted another chance to prove himself in college hoops after really blowing his reputation (talk about disloyalty--jumping ship for the NBA?!?).

We both got precisely what we wanted so even if he does go, I'd say it wasn't in any way a waste of 9 years on either side. I hear where you are coming from and why it can leave a bad taste in your mouth, but once a Tiger fan, always a Tiger fan! The whole is not equal to the sum of its parts.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 9:21 am

I mean sports in general. And yeah, if he leaves, it was a hell of a ride for many of those years. Have no ill will towards him. Think he's done a tremendous job here in 9 years since he was hired.

Sometimes i need to look at it for what it is.... a job.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 9:28 am

Press conference scheduled at U K after lunch.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 12:49 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Calipari did what it took to bring the school back to prominence, and I don't see another coach at his level available. I am stunned that Cal, a coach that has never won a title, is now going to be the highest paid coach in college basketball.

I think Memphis best shot would be be with an extremely talented, ambitious assistant from a successful program in a tough conference. The Calipari era was exciting while it lasted, and I wish him the best. Unless C-USA talent improves drastically and becomes competitive nationally, U of M will always be a stepping stone for coaches.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 12:54 pm

I agree with that for the most part, but there will always be someone to hire in this sport and with a bit of strategic hiring, maybe we can get a title while being a stepping stone.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Why not stay, take the big payout that the boosters are obviously putting together and fight for us to get out of CUSA?
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 1:09 pm

Cos he is an egomaniac. Word now is he is holding boosters to the flame, lobbying for Tony Barbee to be hired. Wants is cake and to eat it too: "hey I'm breaking up with you, I THINK, but before I go I'm gonna tell you who you are going to date next and it isn't THAT guy!"
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm

Sounds like a done deal....

Just saw on ESPN that Mike Anderson's gonna be offered the Georgia job, and Mizzou wants to keep him at $1.3 mil a year. Seems like Memphis oughta offer $2 mil a year and be done with it...be about half of what Cal wants, and IMO Anderson's twice the coach...
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 1:42 pm

This article cracks me up. This is the donut store right by our house that is covered in Tigers stuff inside:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/31/tigers-coach-john-cal ipari-said-be-making-decision/
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 3:48 pm

From the typically annoying comments section on the CA site, I gotta LOOOOOOOVE this idea:

If Calipari does take the Kentucky job, I say Memphis should MAKE A STRONG RUN AT RICK PATINO! Patino is a great coach and of the caliber we must have now. We cannot go back.

And, here's the thing:

Patino will be no doubt pissed that Calipari is headed to Kentucky; they have a strong dislike for each other and Patino will not accept Calipari having the upper hand (in bringing in the top recruiting class).

Think about it. If we could quickly secure Patino our chances of keeping the recruits and current key players become greatly enhanced. Patino has been at Louisville 8 years now. Time to move? Maybe.

Give Patino the package you’d give Cal. Whatever the fistful of dollars Cal gets from Kentucky, give Patino a few dollars more and he becomes the highest paid coach in college basketball!

Patino would love it. His fun quotient would be immediately restored. (Right now Patino has to be reviewing his options; Cal is a significant irritant to him). And, he'd get a chance to deny Cal the ease of bringing a top recruiting class to Kentucky. He might throw a big wrench in that plan, and that would be great for Memphis!

Plus, we return the favor to the state of Kentucky by stealing Patino from Louisville, with the added pleasure of sticking it to one of our most-hated rivals! Who knows, maybe we even get some of Patino’s recruits from Louisville.

If the game has changed then let’s get our own game changer. Shock the world!

RC, Memphis Boosters " make a statement! Memphis can be just as big or bigger without John.

Make it so. Do it right now " call and ask for permission to speak with Rick Patino about coming to the University of Memphis!
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 3:51 pm

Tony Barbee?! Whatever. The only glimmer of hope in this mess is that we might get Anderson. Otherwise, we're tanked.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 3:54 pm

Just saw on ESPN that Mike Anderson's gonna be offered the Georgia job, and Mizzou wants to keep him at $1.3 mil a year. Seems like Memphis oughta offer $2 mil a year and be done with it...be about half of what Cal wants, and IMO Anderson's twice the coach...

Like this too (for a reality version of events)...but oh my GOD, even Rick Pitino for a minute would be CLASSIC. I mean, its time for revenge dreaming.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 4:12 pm

But yeah, the longer Cal hedges, the chance of missing out on Anderson increases. He has got to know this. DICK. And if he waits this long after all this and stays? DICK.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 4:12 pm

Georgia is a mess. No history. Higher academic standards. The AAU coaches in Atlanta(total high school hoops hotbed) won't send their kids there. The only draw is that its in the SEC.

I think that if Memphis offers him a similar deal as Georgia(2 mil) he'd choose the Tigers over the Bulldogs in a hot minute. Anderson knows that no matter what he does, Athens is a football town and always will be.
Posted: Mar 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Athens is a football town and always will be.

You got that straight. I still think that the whole UTK basketball program is some fun diversion for them, like tiddlywinks. I don't think they really care about basketball the way Memphis cares about it...it is all about the gridiron.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®