Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / N. Thomas St.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 1:41 pm

So my good friend John and I will be in Memphis (he's never been) over Beale St. Fest weekend, although the only part of that we're planning on is Jerry Lee.

We're thinking of a juke joint night. I've been to Wild Bill's but that's it. Just found out about all these places up N. Thomas St (and a few others elsewhere). Anybody have any reports from Thomas St. or other places? Best local bands/players? Thanks...
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:39 pm

read the 'One Block North' article

http://www.backroadsofamericanmusic.com/
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:30 pm

"The Real Beale" indeed.

Watch your back bro!
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Suicide is not really a viable vacation activity.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Totally. If you want "the real" experience, I guess getting a cap in your ass would be got on N. Thomas!
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 5:17 pm

You can't trust the jukeboxes in those nasty neighborhoods, either. You will think that you are playing a very cool song, but someone will have switched that sleeve with that of the Wang Chung song. Then, you will have to watch everyone do the John Hughes dance until they get bored mocking your bad taste and shoot you.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Ask jerryd. He went to one on N 2nd I believe.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 5:44 pm

finnark,
You'll be fine in blues clubs like CC's or One Block North, but should avoid hip-hop clubs like Club Hughes. The blues crowd is older and easy going, and the hip-hop crowd is younger and rowdier.
Also, the corner of Hollywood and Chelsea has a fun outdoor juke scene on weekend nights.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Go introduce yourself to Warren Lewis up on Thomas past Chelsea and he can tell you where to hang. If you have curly brown hair and eyes, he will insist you are Jewish. And if you protest too much he will look at you seriously and say, "Greek?"
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm

You'll be fine in blues clubs like CC's or One Block North, but should avoid hip-hop clubs like Club Hughes

Thanks much, Molotov. That site is informative but doesn't do as good a job as you did in explaining the different vibe in each club. CC's and One Block North both sound good. Alternatively, I guess we could just stick with good old Wild Bill's.

What about the non-Thomas joints, like the View or the Boss Lounge? Any Goners have experience w/ those places?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 7:21 pm

You wanna know the best guide to that stuff? Tad Pierson. Sure he's not on here but he's down with those funky places on N 3rd (?) and such. He knows pretty much everybody in the blues scene, too.

Go by Memphis Mary's around 5pm and pick his brain, I'm sure it'd pay off.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 8:46 pm

thanks eric
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 9:39 pm

or andria
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 10:29 pm | Edited by: eric o

Lil' A is golden in all kindsa tough parts of Memphis!
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:47 am

One Block North seems to be pretty inconsistent for live music. I haven't heard much in the way of that happening there for a couple of years. But I could be wrong.

CC's is cool and I hear they have a good band going there these days. Sundays at the Exexcutive Inn use to be great, but Big Don left so I'm not sure what's up there now. I've heard that he is at the old Blue Worm on Park and airways (now called blues nightclub).
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 7:06 am

Ask jerryd. He went to one on N 2nd I believe.

Effies. On North 2nd.

No live band, but they really do have an excellent jukebox. I was sue that we would be robbed inside or on the way back to our car. That made it a little more exciting. A very drunk black guy trying to teach me how to dance to Otis Reddings version of "Satisfaction" was the highlight of my night.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 3:14 pm

thanks for the props, eric and bruce!

I went to effie's last year with bobby blue bland, the singer from simply red, and a MOJO photographer (OK, that should shoot any credibility I previously had, right?) and we got run off the property for trying to take pictures! about 5 years ago, I tried to regularly frequent the club across the street -- mc-something-or-other grocery store, in a shotgun house -- but we weren't too popular with the locals. that, and no one who was actually FROM memphis would go there with me, only friends from out of town who were too clueless to be scared of the 'hood.

also went to cc's and they were pretty nice, but they just had a dj the nights we went.

big don is now doing sundays at the club superior on ep blvd. total genius set-up, $5 cover gets you free liquor, if you buy set-ups, although you have to pay for beer! don sings, and has someone else on drums -- band is half-white, half-black and very soulful. I've been a few times since new year's.

executive inn is still fun, although a lot of don's crowd (preacher man, etc) has migrated to superior. the club formerly known as blue worm is fun too.

definitely ask tad when you get to town -- it's his business to know what's up, and things on the local juke joint scene seem to be changing pretty quickly these days. also, the center for southern folklore is booking good stuff nights and at noon on weekdays.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®