Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / things to love about memphis
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Ms. Shirley and spring
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 2:48 pm

midtown
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 2:56 pm

the giant Africa house! and Shelby Farms. Also, the circus is running at the Pink Palace.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:19 pm

im at the pink palace now. come by on thursday, give gonerboard handshake for a break
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 4:26 pm

Alisa's backyard.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 5:14 pm

I love Memphis for many reasons. Music, food, people, what is not to love?
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 7:05 pm

So, so many things to love that I couldn't come up with anything in the "not to love" except Schnucks. I guess weird violent crime would be not to love, but hey, I ain't skeered.

Things to love include THE RIVER, downtown, midtown trees and midtown in general, the plethora of urban decay photo ops, my youth in Bartlett running around in the woods, the feeling you get driving over the bridges into AR and being in the river bottoms, Stax, Sun, Hi, etc., and yes, Elvis. The HiTone, the Buc, and occasionally Murphy's. The Tigers!
And yes, Driver, my backyard! (thanks!)
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Summer Drive-In.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 9:39 pm

The Tigers. Insane # of 50's ranch homes in time-capsule condition. Good stuff for fairly cheap. Interesting characters and good people.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 9:52 pm

Easy living; diversity; central location; comically horrible drivers; yeah The River; I'll one-up your 50s Ranches with 20s Craftsman bungalows and Midtown architecture in general; salsa (the dance and community, not the condiment); the grid layout of the streets...
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 12:49 am | Edited by: elle

cheap living, not being able to go out anywhere ever without knowing at least one person there, cozy corner, payne's, gus's, soul fish, the tigers, the utter ridiculousness that only happens in this crazy fucked up bermuda triangle of a city that i love so much, shows at the bucc that go late and end up with insanity, dance parties, the trees in midtown, the hi tone, bartenders that are awesome, thrifting, 1920s craftsman bungalows, the music, the history department at u of m, the springtime weather when it's not bein so sybil-esque, freak crazy storms that get everyone all riled up, ghettospeak, the history of the city and how it has always been a rowdy ass place...i could go on forever. i love this place. most of the time.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 1:14 am

Chicago/Memphis?...come on ;)
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 10:09 am

I like it that people will still come play here, even though the crowds are smaller - and that they even seem happy to play here.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 11:38 am

ass, titties
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 1:15 pm

^what they said^
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:01 pm

I agree with the majority of this. I miss me some memphis.
I look at some of the shit I used to pull in my late teens and Early 20's and I am shocked. That city would let you get away with Murder, as long as you weren't really comitting a murder.

I miss the Kwik Shop on central. If you go behind the counter there is a picture of me and my best friend. We were 19 and carrying a case of beer a piece. Go the right of the counter, near the beer coolers. When you are facing the beer coolers, look the left. There is a bulleting board. The pic is there. At least it was as of a year ago. I had a running weekly beer tab there when I was 19. Amazing.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm

How about my radio show on wevl. And JBs, Erics and Andrews, too, for that matter. Ya cant say its just celtic music anymore. Watch it come back in style and wevl gets the blame . . .
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:56 am

Driving around on Saturdays while listening to WDIA, Hinson guitar amps, the Tearjerkers, Vietnamese food, Shelby Farms, Goner Records, the ladies at Top's, burgers at Wild Bill's.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 8:31 am

my radio show on wevl. And JBs, Erics and Andrews

Awesomeness for sure. JBs show is even worth getting my hung over ass out of bed in the AM and turning on the radio to hear on Sunday morning. Loves me some WEVL.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:05 pm

I'll one-up your 50s Ranches with 20s Craftsman bungalows and Midtown architecture in general

Believe me I appreciate those still, but having grown up in them and all over Midtown, the East Memphis thing is practically exotic!
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:29 pm

my radio show on wevl. And JBs, Erics and Andrews

is wevl screwed up today? i can't get it tuned in
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:41 pm

bojo's

Summer Avenue thrift shopping in general
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:49 pm

thanks brendan and chicken.

wevl's comin thru loud and clear over here.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Only got to tune in for the last 10 minutes of Brendan's show today, but if it's like that most of the time, I'll keep checking back.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 2:11 pm

yeah, it's a great show, i don't know why but i couldn't get it in until the end
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 10:01 am

When all the tulip poplars, dogwoods and crepe myrtles start blooming. This is also a curse for us sinus sufferers, but it sure is looking gorgeous.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Riding my bike around downtown for a few hours, occasional hits on the travel bowl, checking out the cool architectural details and shit, and meeting some friends at the Flying Saucer for a weird beer orgy- it don't get no better....
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 9:01 am

The Kosher food section at the Kroger on Mendenhall. I'm about to eat cheese blintzes with sour cream and strawberry jam for breakfast!
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm about to eat cheese blintzes with sour cream and strawberry jam

I'm so jealous. I haven't quite mastered the blintze.
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 2:05 pm

The Kosher food section at the Kroger on Mendenhall.

The Kosher deli at the Truse Pkwy Schnucks!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®