Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Places in Memphis that suck!!!
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I want to start this thread because I am sick of places in Memphis that really and truly suck. I will start it off by saying Changs Bubble Tea in Cordova sucks! We just ordered from them and while the food was good everything else about it sucked. We placed a delivery order for the dinner for three which is $29.99 when they gave me the food the bill was 52 and the servings were small as hell. The soup came in a container about the size of one of my nuts. When my wife called to complain the lady said we could go somewhere else, wtf kind of customer service is that! Anyway if anyone else knows of places to avoid in the Memphis area please post cause like I said I am sick of this!
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm

The DMV on Summer. 2.5 hours to basically pay them 16 bucks to exchange one piece of plastic for another. The staff were slow but the uptight white dads in there with their soccer playing kids were way worse.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 7:13 pm

The Auto Inspection Station on Lamar-Schnucks Midtown-
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 8:16 pm

"Murder Mapco" on the corner of Cooper and Central. Those poor ladies that work in there are nice, but the whole ambiance of the place is terrifying.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

consignment music
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 10:21 am

The DMV on Summer. 2.5 hours to basically pay them 16 bucks to exchange one piece of plastic for another. The staff were slow but the uptight white dads in there with their soccer playing kids were way worse.

3.5 hrs last week. Ugh.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:25 am

I did my license online this year. They just sent it to me in the mail. Didn't even make me take a new pic, just asked if I wanted to use the old one!

Schnucks Midtown
yep
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am

consignment music

Seconded.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am

Cordova
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:56 am

consignment music

Thirded...that place sucks and the dudes that work are annoying as shit!
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Bigfoot/Kooky Canuck can eat a dick.

I went there with my brother a couple of years ago and got completely ignored at the bar by the bartender. It was 11:30 am. There was one other dude at the bar. We sat there for ten minutes, not even a hello. She finally walked down as we were getting up to leave. She asked what we wanted to drink and we said two iced teas. She sighed, then looked at the other bar patron ans scoffed at our iced tea order. We left. Never went back.

My sister got treated like absolute shit at Central, and that breaks my heart because I really like some of the guys involved there, no matter what some people feel about the food.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:14 pm

midtown schnucks is alright - you say cramped, i say cozy.

young ave deli is pretty bad..theyve got either the worst jukebox or the worst patrons in town - picking the kinda music professional wrestlers enter the ring to, plus their traditionally overpriced menu recently spiked - $8+ for dixie queen quality burger, and they went quietly when the yankees banned smoking.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:19 pm

midtown schnucks is alright - you say cramped, i say cozy.

I say it sucks to shop for groceries and run into every person you ever knew in your life! Can't get five feet without having to stop and chat with someone.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Cordova

and say something else about cordova, i dare yah
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Cordova is where nature goes to die or get converted to asphalt. Memphians thank you for your taxes, by the way.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Bardog. Sucks.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:36 pm

I-240
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Midtown Schnucks has got to be the worst laid out grocery store of all time. The check out lines block the fucking aisles. Kroger is a piece of shit too, but I go there rather than Schnucks. As far as the Deli, Im pretty sure they lease the jukebox and it comes with a selection of music already included. Places with what folks refer to as "good" jukebox's usually own theirs and put whatever they want on it. As far as who plays what... well what do you do? The food is ok. I personally happen to enjoy the non smoking laws there and other places in town and Im sure the reason they went along with that is so that it didnt have to be an over 18 establishment. Always alot of familys etc. in there eating! Oh boy...Cordova! Over crowded, oversupplied with homes that probably arent worth what they were a year ago! Traffic is horrible and there is a fast food establishment on every fucking corner. Shopping center after shopping center. Whats to like about Cordova?
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 2:52 pm | Edited by: Chicken

i like bardog. the beer selection could be larger, but i dig the food and the downstairs is quiet and cool. the employees are pretty cool too.

i dont know that i've ever been to cordova

schnucks drives me crazy with their little ass aisles and crazy ass parking lot, but i love the cheese section!!!!

that chinese place on the corner of madison and n belvedere is pretty damn horrible
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm | Edited by: kol 1945

cordova is nothingness. fast food...concrete...blahblahblah, go to france and rage against the machine or something.

face it, the blues never happened. the movement was invented by yankee transplants in nashville to make profit from scandanavian/chinese tourists.

everyone knows that
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:20 pm

The deli has an internet jukebox. There are some constraints, but The deli really has to control over the music, besides the ability to turn it down. As for the smoking ban, it was six of one, half a dozen of the other. Lose the family business that drives the lunch crowd on the weekends, as well as the weekdays by going 21 and up, or alienate the smokers who don't want to go outside to have a smoke. Is the lost liquor revenue offset by the gained food business? You would have to ask the ownership. But, you had to make a decision, and that was the decision that was made.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:43 pm | Edited by: eric o

i was hoping bardog would be good. no?

peabody's "corner bar" got written up in the CA last week... lowered prices on food and beer. sounds not bad.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:45 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

The DMV on Summer. 2.5 hours to basically pay them 16 bucks to exchange one piece of plastic for another.

NEVER go there. The Whitehaven DMV Location on Shelby Drive DMV takes about 45 minutes and the staff is professional (for government employees, at least). I was the only uptight white there, but there was a surplus of angry blacks.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 4:26 pm

i was hoping bardog would be good.

i cant speak for the atmosphere as I am a jerk about all things downtown but the food is AWESOME.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 7:51 pm

i had a pretty damn good sandwich there for lunch a few weeks ago. i probably wouldn't go out of my way to make a special trip down there, but it is right by my office. i've never drank/ hung out there so can't really speak to the 'vibe'
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Bardog would be better if it wasn't in Downtown. The downstairs would have indeed been much more tolerable had there not been a Duke-UNC game on and the Duke-UNC-worshipping, pre-middle-aged jock contingent swarming the place. Sure I hung out with some jocks in HS, but consider the worst of the worst from CBHS, MUS and maybe Harding, unrestricted by their wivery and cursed with some male-pattern baldness screeching "Fuck you white boy!" every 5 seconds at the TV. I mean, which white boy were they referring to?

The burgers were not all that great; the fries were pretty good. I just don't see myself hanging out there if I wanna relax and get a drink.
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Briarcrest, definitely not Harding
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm

Harding in Searcy, AR sucks douches, however...
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm

much like Cordova.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 12:05 am

i can't believe no one has said it yet....

2-0-1 muddafugga's!!! hell on earth!!!
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 12:19 am

Schnucks Midtown

i'm okay with it because i'm mostly entranced by their selection of cheeses. (chocolate goat cheese? i'm still needing to use this for something.) the place is set up all kindsa goofy and nothing is logical in its placement. but it beats the shit outta piggle wiggle although i'll go in there on occasion for beer if i'm pickin' some up after a night at murphy's or p&h.

i like bardog. i like their food and their staff is cool.

i'm not a fan of dragon china either, chicken. that place is terrrrrrrrrrrrible. muy terrible.

i also don't like the libraries here only because of their hours sucking ass. that especially includes the university. (when i went to school at indiana, the library was open 24/7 and sometimes i don't feel like studying before 5pm.)

i could also live my whole life without eating at central bbq ever again. gross. not a fan.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 12:34 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

No place in Memphis to get something decent to eat when it's late at night or early AM unless you consider Krystal four star dining. Back in the 80's there were at least BBQ places that were open 24 hours or even Denny's.
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Smoking ban

I used to think a ban on smoking would be obnoxious, but having lived in Los Angeles the past couple years.. every trip to Memphis/Midtown results in several washings of clothes and hair to get the stench out. Jesus, I can't believe I breathed that shit for so long. I don't wake up hacking up black shit anymore.. and I don't even smoke. Smokers should get a less smelly habit. Maybe heroin?
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:38 pm

No late night dining? This is a pain in the ass. I know I am prejudiced after working there, but I was all about an Alex's burger. Does printer's still do late night food?
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 9:57 am

I concur that both Consignment Music and Harding - which are, coincidentally, rather close to each other - suck.

I'm gonna throw another one out there - Sekisui. Any one of them.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 10:33 am

Union Ave.

I avoid it like the plague.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Briarcrest, definitely not Harding

OK, you are probably right. Harding boys are too Christian and loving of their fellow white man.
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:03 pm

i also don't like the libraries here

I don't like them because they rarely order a new book I'd really like to be reading and when they do, they order 3 copies for the whole city and they stay on 7 day checkout for a zillion years. So sad. Amazon gets my biz and I just give books away or sell em at my yard sales.
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 9:54 am

robin, you were warned.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®