Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Emergency sirens
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:23 am

Anyone else wake up to them in fear around 2:30 AM?
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 2:19 pm

Are you talking about the Tornado sirens?
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 2:30 pm

Yeah--they went off, at least out here. As this house is built on a slab, I was running around like a fool as we have never bothered with a "plan". Then I turned on the TV and there was nothing going on.
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 2:54 pm

Anyone else wake up to them in fear around 2:30 AM?

Just move under a flight path and you won't ever have to worry about hearing anything other than planes.

I was running around like a fool as we have never bothered with a "plan"

I think the plan is for you to lay down and put ryan on top of you. And no, i don't mean anything dirty by that, just use him as a shield from falling debris.
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 3:25 pm

I have heard them at the park near your house and also at a park that's a little north of your house. They go off mid-afternoon for no reason. I wonder if they accidentally timed the sirens for 2:30 A.M. instead of P.M. this time.
Were they painfully loud? They seem to blast right into the park that's north of you.
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 3:50 pm

It was really loud; I am a light sleeper, but it was crazy loud. The only time I have ever heard them other than Saturday noons was the time we had that tornado around 1AM that hit in South Memphis in '99. I knew the weather we are having could have produced something and tornadoes scare me more than plane crashes or fires, so I was pretty freaked out.
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 4:00 pm

I think they now sound on Wednesday afternoons. Like, 2 o'clock?
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 4:54 pm

3:30 every Wednesday. We have one down the street.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 6:22 am

Yup. 3:30 on Wednesdays. We have one on our school campus, and that sucker is LOUD. It marks the start time for faculty meetings--ugh.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 8:15 am

planes were flying crazy low last night... or just crazy. huge creaking things groaning overhead. yay!
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 1:46 pm

planes were flying crazy low last night... or just crazy. huge creaking things groaning overhead. yay!

No kidding! I had the windows open because the weather was nice, but ended up shutting them just to get some sleep.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 1:49 pm

i have never heard the siren from my house, but i hear a lot of planes!!! constantly. i wouldnt know what to do without them now. oh, and the random train.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 5:09 pm

I like trains. I wish I lived right next to one (I used to.) Planes suck though.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I love the train. We are just far enough away from it to not be too loud. It is very comforting.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 8:23 pm

I feel the same way about the trains. I hear them all night, because I stick my nose out the window to sleep. I LOVE hearing them. I'm also on a flight path. I never really hear them (I guess because I've lived here so long) - no that's not right, I do hear them when it's stormy and they're flying real low. It's super cool to be in my backyard and look up to see this huge plane flying right overhead. Plus, I get to see lots of weird little planes...prop jets and the like.
I also live near a church that chimes the hour and half hour...up until at least midnight. Maybe all night. And, live near the zoo. I hear the monkeys often, and sometimes the lions.
Also live near the college, and hear football games...the band playing like crazy.

I want to "retire" to the mountains of NC, but I really wonder how I'll do when I can't hear these sounds.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 10:05 pm

I'll sell y'all train recordings.
I like open windows and cool nights.
I don't like the blast of the horn when I'm trying to sleep or listen to something.

I live about 75 yards from a train crossing. I like all the sounds except for the whistle.
Posted: Mar 10, 2009 10:34 pm | Edited by: saispas

My grandparents used to live at the back of Park Valley Rd just past White Station and we would go swimming at night and when the loud as hell train would come, my gin-soaked grandmom would take me I the back gate to wave to the guy in the caboose.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®