Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 3:25 pm

sounds all good to me, colin!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 3:35 pm

Avery Johnson was an amazing coach for the Mavs during the time of Foxy Steve Nash, Can't Miss Michael Finley and Dorky (yet killah) Dirk Nowitzski.

Love Avery.

The reason they are saying Theus over Avery is b/c Theus coached NM State and was a Pitino assistant. He's proven to be good in the college game.

Great hires (ha ha)!!!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 3:37 pm

Not to mention Theus was a Running Rebel under Tark the Shark!!!!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:29 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Great hires (ha ha)!!!

(I run screaming into the street!!)

But yeah, either one of those guys sound good to me.
Now they're talking on the boards about getting Penny in to assist!!

HC-Avery Johnson
Asst-Joe Prunty(Former NBA Assistant w/Mavs, Worked ABCD Camps)
Asst-Jerome Kersey(Former NBA Assistant/Former Avery Johnson teammate that wants to coach in college)
Asst-Jon Robic(Current Memphis assistant)
Asst/Big Men-David Robinson(NBA HOFer interested in coaching)
Asst/Guards-Anfernee Hardway(Former NBA star interested in coaching)
Administrative Assistant-Carl Henry(Former Kansas basketball player, The Henry's)

Before someone comes in here and says its not possible.

Prunty is very close friends with Avery Johnson, & is currently working with the Portland TrailBlazers.
Jerome Kersey is Avery's former teammate with the Spurs and has publicly said he does not want to coach NBA players.
David Robinson is Avery's close friend & former teammate with the Spurs who has said he is interested in getting into coaching young player.
Penny Hardaway is a Memphis legend that played against Avery Johnson in the NBA and has indicated interest in coaching
Jon Robic is a Memphis assistant who might stay to remain with his Memphis "family".
Carl Henry needs a job and he at least has some basketball knowledge which can warrant a job as an assistant on the staff.

*Faints*

(Those boards this last week have been the closest thing I've ever seen to "a chicken with its head cut off"!)
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:36 pm

David Robinson?!?!?! Mr. Annapolis? Maybe he could continue Cal's tradition of making some of the players go to class and graduate.

He's great but SQUEAKY clean. I guess that isn't a bad thing, but that is a funny list up there. I do like trying to involve Penny and Socks in some way too.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:37 pm | Edited by: robin

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/06/source-memphis-tigers -close-hiring-josh-pastner-re/

whaaaaat?

I can't believe I'm about to cheer for my first Tigers coach who's about the same age as I am. Not because I'm old, but because he's SUPER YOUNG.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:39 pm

Well, seeing as we have the largest Penny memorabilia collection in history (except for possibly Penny himself) I'm certainly behind that.

David Robinson was inducted into the HOF today, as was Michael Jordon! I can't believe that MJ wasn't in until this year...and I can't believe how FAT he's gotten! Saw him on TV, and was shocked. No wonder he's not the Hanes spokesman anymore!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:39 pm

whaaaaat?

JESUS CHRIST...when will this end???????
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:40 pm

Alisa- it was only MJ's first year of eligibility.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:41 pm

JESUS CHRIST...when will this end???????

IT WILL NEVER END!!! I can't believe dude is gonna be the coach, but at this point I just wanna know, you know what I mean? This is torture. A week-plus of solid torture.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:42 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11600010

I FEEL YOU ROBIN!!!! I've been totally obsessed.
Okay...tell me about Pastner...didn't he go to UMass? Or...who am I thinking of?
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:43 pm

WHAT?!?!?!?!? Pastner?!?!?!

Oh my GOD.

OK, lemme go check this out.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:44 pm

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh yeah, and let's not forget this tasty morsel of first class douchebaggery:

http://www.collegeinsider.com/the50/josh_pastner.html
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:49 pm

Also on that CBS sports link:

Avery Johnson to Memphis is news to Avery Johnson
Posted on: April 6, 2009 5:19 pm
Score: 136
Log-in to rate:

* Log-in to rate:

* Log-in to rate:

DETROIT -- Coaching searches have a way of taking a life of their own, the ongoing one at Memphis being a prime example. Once Scott Drew pulled out and Leonard Hamilton expressed his lack of interest, the name that started getting kicked around most often -- at least on talk radio and silly message boards, where some fans hilariously pose as insiders -- belonged to Avery Johnson, which is, well, news to Avery Johnson.

According to a source close to Johnson, there has been no contact between Memphis and the former NBA coach.

None.

As in zero.

And though the source said Johnson might be a good college coach, the reality is that he considers himself an NBA coach, and that's what he plans to be going forward. Bottom line, this was always a far-fetched idea (and not even a good one, long as I'm being honest), but even if Memphis approached Johnson they'd almost certainly be turned away, meaning Johnson is more likely to someday coach the Grizzlies than the Tigers ... and the Grizzlies are probably too cheap to hire him, anyway.

Meantime, don't be surprised if the Memphis search concludes shortly.

Do be surprised if the hire is the "wow" hire Memphis officials promised last week.
Category: NCAAB
Tags: Avery Johnson, Memphis

No wonder we're the fucking laughingstock of the country! I fully expect RC to be fired.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:51 pm

robin--thank you for ending a boring day of work with that hilarious shit!!! "Strong mentally" i.e. another gay man such as myself.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:51 pm

http://www.collegeinsider.com/the50/josh_pastner.html

Oh lord. You think he can find him a "cute" woman among the Tiger faithful.
Cripes and criminy!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:53 pm

Okay, channel 3 is crawling it along the bottom of the screen right now...
Guess I better go do a little research.

Isn't he Cal's boy? HA!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:55 pm

I bet Cal has been working with RC and the boosters on this deal. RC wouldn't know how to brush his wig without Cal's help.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:56 pm

Read between the lines, dude is totally gay.

STRIKE ONE:

What's the sexiest part of a woman? "Legs."

STRIKE TWO:

Which famous person would you like to date? "Meg Ryan."

STRIKE THREE:

What would you want her to know about you before you went on a date? "My lifestyle and how much I enjoy my job."

I am totally stoked that my Memphis Tigers will be hiring the first openly gay coach in college sports history. It's an important moment in LGBT history.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:57 pm

I knew you could read between the lines on that one, robin!!!!! G-A-Y!!! Go Tigers!!!! Get Josh out tha closet!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 4:57 pm

RC wouldn't know how to brush his wig without Cal's help.

Haaaaahahahaha!

Anybody wanna start a pool and see how long it takes before RC's ass is out the door? I give it til the beginning of summer, enough time for a new guy to get in there and get his feet wet before football season begins.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:04 pm

In other news, not only has RC Johnson totally dropped the ball here, but the Memphis media has been ridiculous. 90% of what they've reported has been pure conjecture and rumors- and then because a supposedly reputable news organization is reporting it, it goes national and then we become the laughingstock AGAIN.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:06 pm

That dude is way, way, way too young to be a head coach. He looks like hes 18!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:06 pm

I wish they'd talk to Billy Gillespie. I know it seems humiliating, but I don't think he'd necessarily be a bad fit.

It would be a good hire -at this point- and would not be humilating, certainly not as humilating as a program like Memphis settling for someone like Leonard.
Kentucky is fucked in the head for not being able to give a coach more of a chance than they did Gillespie. Kentucky is one of those schools who can't come to grips with the fact that they're not going to win the national championship every year.
Kentucky came into Oxford awhile back ranked number one and got beat by Ole Miss. Afterwards, their fans were cursing the Kentucky players on the bus as they pulled away from the coliseum, even hitting it with their fists, yelling to not bother going back to Lexington.
If Calpari doesn't win big immediatly, those stupid fucks will be the same way all over again.
After Ole Miss swept Kentucky in baseball this past weekend, some of their idiots were chanting that Ole Miss would never beat them in basketball again (like the Rebels did this year).
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:10 pm

So, it took them a WEEK to hire a Cal's assistant?
Yeah, RC is OUTTATHERE!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:25 pm

You know what though...Ill get behind this guy. Upon thinking about it, I think young may be good and apparently he is a great recruiter. Got some exeprience with Lute Olson at Arizona....I think I dig it!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:26 pm | Edited by: Alisa

That dude is way, way, way too young to be a head coach. He looks like hes 18!

He's a hot shot recruiter? Is there some silver lining?
Well, I did say I wanted someone young. Is there a chance he'll keep some of our recruits here?
I wonder how the team feels about this.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:27 pm

Sounds like (reads like) he was born with a silver basketball in his hand. Or mouth, as the case may be.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:33 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Okay, from a post on the ncaabbs:
At most games this season, I would sit in the student section close enough to the bench to be able to hear the coaches talk.
I made a post during the season about our bench dynamics.

Antigua was the yeller, Cal would yell and give common sense advice, and then when the bad-cop routine was over, Pastner would step in and offer the technical advice. He seemed to be the X's and O's guy behind our operations this season. He could see the mechanics on the floor better than Cal and the other assistants.

There's no need to worry about him being "just a recruiter"-- I have no doubt he can run the team.

Sorry for gay multiple posts...I'm just excited that it's done!
This may not be very exciting for you, saispas, as you've deplored our x's and o's!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 5:49 pm

My fingers are crossed that 09-10's Josh Pastner is 07-08's Keno Davis.
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 6:14 pm

Okay, I did say I wanted someone young and hungry. Guess I got my wish!
AND, someone who knows how Memphis plays ball...so I guess I got that wish too.
I don't really care if he's had a ton of experience. You've got to start somewhere...
If we could get an AD in there that has a clue, well, then all's well!

(I'm just so happy it appears to be all over.)
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 6:19 pm

AND, he looks like Bobby Brady!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 6:53 pm

I highly doubt with Cal's ego he was always allowed to call the shots and honestly, the dribble-drive has about 8 typical x's and o's and that is about it. I just want someone who can do a better job at response coaching and managing the game in action...not every guy is Tom Izzo and we don't have a team that plays half court sets to win, but there has to be a guy leading the ship who has a bit more of a handle on the game clock, time outs and the other ephemera...I hope Josh Pastner hires a fantastic staff and we kill again this year!

At least I know we now have a solid chance at keeping Sallie and Weatherspoon and maybe even a couple of recruits! Pastner (being referred to as "Podnah" by at least 2 black callers on 56 AM tonight) definitely was the guy that helped get most of them!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh...oops, Peter Brady!

I'm going to be excited about this. He does have a chance of keeping some of our team together. And, an impecible pedigree.
Word's out also that he is hiring Xavier's dad!

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=535834
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 7:41 pm

Enough already I know...I know, but in Cal's defense the Tigers demolished Tom Izzo and Michigan State last year in the Tournament by..wasnt it almost 20 points? If Cal was that bad of a bench coach than that dosent say much about Izzo no does it? It was mostly the same players as the Spartans have this year except for that neo-nazi looking Neitzel! Just making a point saispas...I hope they upset the Tarheels tonight. Go get Coach Padnah!
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 9:34 pm

Izzo does much more than Cal with little and we beat the shit out of them with our first half when we basically played a perfect game. Plus we were an incredibly more talented team than they were. You're just being contrary Colin! Anyway, the Tarheels just look incredible, unfortunately.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:31 am

i'm hoping that he will impress me. something tells me this could be good. i dunno how easy it will be for the memphis community to warm up to him. so many people are being such naysayers right now before he is even given a chance to show what he's capable of. he's got a good understanding obviously of the game of basketball. so i think he'd be a very capable coach for us.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:30 am

I think many will warm to him just based on the sports radio call-ins (I cannot believe I am listening, but NPR is on a pledge drive and hey...) and as they are saying, we are in C-USA and if he gets a talented team and can just halfway coach, we should be just fine!

I think he will be hungry to prove himself which is more than I can say for anyone else they were trying to supposedly hire.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:00 am

I think he will be hungry to prove himself which is more than I can say for anyone else they were trying to supposedly hire.

i think this is gonna be the key...at first i was less than blown away, to say the least, but i'm warming up to the pastner hire.

1. he's a MONSTER recruiter - he's responsible for most of our awesome recruiting class this year...and we'll find out in a week if he's able to keep some of 'em. i think wall & cousins will be gone, but the rest, including henry, just may stick around. garcia's already said he's staying, sallie won't leave just to sit out another year, and if he hires carl henry as an assistant, that means xavier & cj aren't going anywhere, either.

2. he's smart - got his undergrad in 3 years, and his masters in 1 after that, and supposedly working on a phd?

3. he's been on a fast track in coaching ever since he began. like cal, he wasn't going to be much of a player, so he sat on the bench & soaked up all the coaching nuances, essentially becoming a lesser assistant when he played for zona. his dad was the king of AAU sports in houston, so he's always been involved in that realm.

4. he's young & hungry, but his age will keep his ego from not being willing to change something if it's not working.

5. coaching staff - i'd be really surprised if he doesn't bring robic with him, who's a good x's & o's guy.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:38 am

Man, this kid is so connected, who KNOWS who he can end up getting to agree to help out. One part of me thinks Cal was involved in this and the other part of me thinks that Cal is freaking out to lose this guy as a recruiter now that he is at Kentucky. Cal is a great recruiter, but he is getting older and he obviously thought it important to staff younger kids with connections to this crazy AAU scene.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:00 am

Enough already I know...I know, but in Cal's defense the Tigers demolished Tom Izzo and Michigan State last year in the Tournament by..wasnt it almost 20 points? If Cal was that bad of a bench coach than that dosent say much about Izzo no does it? It was mostly the same players as the Spartans have this year except for that neo-nazi looking Neitzel!

cmon colin you're better than that.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:28 am

Like my boy Jeff Weinberger says "Im just statin the facts!" or maybe just being contrary!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:21 pm

One part of me thinks Cal was involved in this and the other part of me thinks that Cal is freaking out to lose this guy as a recruiter now that he is at Kentucky.

I think it's the second and I think that is like, 1/100th (at least) of the appeal of hiring him. Kind of a fuck you to Cal; a 'don't let the door hit your ass on the way out'. Especially cos it sounds like Derek Kellogg didn't wanna burn his Calipari bridge by taking the job, since Cal wanted Barbee in there.

Like tigergreen, I too am warming up to Pastner the more I read about him. But shiiiiit. I'm gonna love the hell out of him anyway until he gives me a reason not to. Sounds like a ton of kids from the Southwest will be making their way to Memphis in the next few years. Yee haw! Git ready!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:24 pm

You were totally contrary with that one, Colin B!

Yeah, my feelings about Cal are known, but that was just one of those things--we were WAYWAYWAY better than Michigan State last year. There wasn't a thing any team could have done against us in that half--it was utter perfection. Kinda the way Missouri showed up when they romped all over us this year. Cal couldn't do much about that, I will give it to him.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:25 pm

Wow. This kid is Type A all the way!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:29 pm

Wow. This kid is Type A all the way!

Anyone get the feeling he probably did most of the Arizona coaching under poor, feeble Lute Olson?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:30 pm

Yeah, I was hating on Chase Budinger's white boy self until I saw him KILLING every time I watched AZ last season. I will be fine with crazy white guys with stupid names if we get some guys like him coming in.

And can you imagine if they'd hired BARBEE? Oh my god. I think Cal was trying to play the Godfather with that demand. And I am not making any slams against Italians, but that was a help Fredo out kind of suggestion.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:35 pm

This kid is super adorable. Jeesh!
Are you watching him, robin?

Man, I certainly don't have to worry about not playing an up-tempo game with this guy!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:56 pm

I think once Pastner gets that first year under his belt, he'll do real well. Next year is gonna be tough. All the rival recruiters are gonna hammer his inexperience: "Are you really gonna put your career in the hands of this nobody? I've got a track record, blah, blah, blah..."
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:03 pm

All the rival recruiters are gonna hammer his inexperience: "Are you really gonna put your career in the hands of this nobody? I've got a track record, blah, blah, blah..."

This could easily happen, but as long as he can keep most if not all of our current players and get those transfers from Miami-Dade, I think the first year we can take our illustrious conference title again. I mean, we gotta get out of this conference, but until we do, let's kick the asses of everyone else in there with us.

Any word on his staff yet?
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:09 pm

He said he's been concentrating on his players and recruits more than hiring staff right now. He indicated that most of the players would be staying, and one said "I'm staying!" and got a huge hand. Word is that it was Witherspoon. Tag came up and gave him a big hug right after he spoke!!

He did get a question asking him about hiring KEITH LEE!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:11 pm

Actually Witherspoon said (yelled) "we ain't goin nowhere!"
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:30 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

LOVE IT! I love me some Wesley anyway...he & Tag are the big quesiton marks. Tag may decide to go on to Europe & make some money, or he could pull an Antonio & Dozier & just check out the NBA camps, and return.

Yeah...I watched the press conference, and this guy is nothing BUT energy. He is PUMPED about this job.

I'm sufficiently wowed now - on the train...go Coach Pastner!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 1:35 pm

Hell yeah!
Here's a link:
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/040709_Josh_Pastner_Annouced_as_N ew_Memphis_Tigers_Head_Coach
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:30 pm

YES!!!! You cute, freaky, elastic man you.

Alisa is in love! I mean, it is easy to crush out on gay men without a doubt! I'm sure I will be right there with you very soon! All the old fogey, redneck Tiger fans/sportscasters on the radio are being asses, however.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:41 pm

RC Johnson looks like he visits Joan Rivers' plastic surgeon...nast.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:48 pm

Alisa is in love!
You're right! And I was watching him real close, and I didn't think he was that gay at all! Even if he is, well, you are right. Fag hag ain't my middle name for nothing!
He did acknowledge his "fiancee" at the presser.

He sure was jumpy, though. He could not stand still. Like a little kid! I can't wait to see his energy on the sidelines. And, he said he didn't drink coffee!! I'm sure he threw that in because he looked so AMPED UP!
And, I'm so glad to see that. He didn't come in all slick, though he did say a bunch of "coach" things. I mean, a bunch!

I do love him. He's adorable, and that rousing Spoon endorsement didn't hurt either. Everyone who didn't love Cal hated him because he was so slick (and, of course, your x's and o's, saispas!) but there's going to be none of that. This guy was earnest enough to look like Joel Osteen in training!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 2:50 pm

so, what are the fogey radioers saying??

RC stood up there and practically said that JP was a last ditch effort. What a schmoe! JP said that he was packing his office to leave for KY when RC called him in!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:14 pm

They (including George Lapides and these two good old boys who come on 56 around 1PM) just were sighing and moaning and groaning about how in shock they were and just how speechless they still were and well, that is a good thing because their sports show is awful, so maybe they'll get the boot.

He may not REALLY be gay, but it will be fun to think he is for awhile at least. I don't know though because that profile Robin posted was just screaming "I am so in the closet!" Hell, I wish he were gay. It would make this all that much more hilarious and fun (at least for the women involved...and other gay men).
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:28 pm

Like my boy Jeff Weinberger

the worst.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:36 pm

Well, those old men can just GET OFF THE BUS! It's just sour grapes because they are OLD.
JP (Coach Josh? Coach Paz? Past Blue Ribbon?) was talking about wanting his hires to be young, and wanting to come in so they'd be up for future HC opportunities. The only time he looked really taken aback was when he was saying this and someone asked about KEITH LEE as a hire. Maybe they were thinking about Penny, as Penny's name has been banded about an awful lot.
Still he was gracious enough not to flat out say, "WHA??"
Just saw an interview with CJ Henry (well spoken kid, btw) and he said that whole "CJ's dad is going to be hired" was totally false. Said of now, Xavier was still planning on coming, but that it would take a couple of weeks for him to decide, and the asst. coaches would factor into that. He seemed the most concerned that they would bring someone in to groom them for the NBA. Also, an interview with Taggart, and he was pretty much totally into the hire. He said "GREAT hire." :)

I read that profile and was like, oh shit. But, seeing him calmed my fears about him being a douche. Again, he's totally adorable and focused on the Tigers. I certainly would like to see a pic of his "fiancee" though!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:39 pm

(God, I'm taking dorkdom to new levels. I'm just so relieved!)
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 3:56 pm

As he is 31, he was 6 years old when Keith Lee was pimpin', so he just cannot understand! Penny has been wanting this sort of thing for awhile and it is perfect timing for him to be involved on some level. I really hope the Henry's dad is not brought in as that is some pathetic bullshit. This state has a history of that mess though beginning with Wade and Alan Houston (the beginnings of UTK's dubious return to a basketball program of any merit) and with Cal's own Milt and Dajuan package. It simply is not worth the slime factor in my opinion.

I am sure these were not the first though! If I am not mistaken, our stricken Final Four appearance partially involved fur coats for players' mothers and Bud Davis Cadillacs and jobs to family members!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:00 pm

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:06 pm

Sorry for the triple post, but CHRIST, we were DIRTY! I conveniently forgot a lot of this.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG11196 04/index.htm
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:09 pm

Penny has been wanting this sort of thing for awhile and it is perfect timing for him to be involved on some level.

If that happens, I would faint with happiness. Penny was wonderful for Memphis. He influenced my oldest son to strive in ways I never would have thought possible. (Corny, but true.) John's a little older than the players now, but I'm sure Penny could work his quiet magic on them. And, if the players are concerned about being groomed for the NBA...well...who would be better?

I am sure these were not the first though! If I am not mistaken, our stricken Final Four appearance partially involved fur coats for players' mothers and Bud Davis Cadillacs and jobs to family members!

This guy looks WAY too smart for that. We've come a long way!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:12 pm

We sure have. Just look at that old SI article and be prepared to have your jaw hit the floor. You may remember all this, but I didn't remember it being THAT bad.

And for anyone that could possibly think that Penny will be corny to any particularly thuggish ruggish types, he lived the life for quite some time before getting his act together.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:13 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Wow is right, saispas! But, I truly believe that's real old news. I can't imagine someone coming in here and playing dirty now.

Yeah, I was there, but never knew it was THAT bad!
Again, this guy reminded me of Joel Osteen...that AINT going to happen!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:16 pm

he lived the life for quite some time before getting his act together.

Didn't he get shot in the foot or something??
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:18 pm

Yup. I have to go back and confirm, but I think he was selling drugs at the time.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:26 pm | Edited by: Alisa

http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/view.gal?id=46373

The fiancee!
(I do like it that she's not all decked out like a Barbie!)

Okay, link may not work. It's the 16th pic.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:31 pm

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:35 pm

She looks like an Anthropology professor--"mentally strong!"

Yeah, he looks likable. I gotta wait til I get home and see the press conference.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 4:38 pm

That Penny story made me cry, and certainly gives the impression that he's invested (pun intended?) at Memphis.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:34 pm

Yes...Weinberger is the worst! Hate him!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:14 pm

My mom used to teach Penny's daughter. Here's the best part- her name is LATANFERNEE.

Aaaaahahaha.

Anyways, I am liking Josh Pastner so far. He looked like he wanted to bounce out from behind that podium and run laps around the room. Lots of energy!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 7:28 pm | Edited by: robin

Also, I'm not sure if this means anything to anyone who reads this, but CJ Henry sure does look a lot like Lil' Flip. Also, wearing an O's hat when you're on a Yankees farm team? Scandal!!

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/040709_Tigers_Henry_Taggart_on_Pa stner_as_New_Coach

and LOL AT TAGG ALL DAY EVERY DAY
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:53 pm

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:55 pm | Edited by: saispas

Um, CJ is Lil Flip!

http://lilflipfans.com/files/2008/08/lf.jpg

Jeff Weinberger---I just discovered the hard way today that trying to drive on 240-E at rush hour listening to the Sports Bar exacerbates road rage. NEVER AGAIN. I listened to them yesterday and more black guys were calling...today, all mush mouthed rednecks parroting all the bullshit they've learned in a week about college basketball. NOTE: I mention black guys because they were comic relief to those BORING fools.
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 8:55 pm

My mom used to teach Penny's daughter. Here's the best part- her name is LATANFERNEE.

Oh, you're joking. He has a daughter??? And, what the heck??
I always think of that Tim Meadows 'Mean Girls' joke about his sister who named her son Anfernee. This trumps that!
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 9:11 pm

No joking! Her name really was Latanfernee. She was quite a character, I hear. Big hands, too.

Andre Turner seems really gay to me, too. I'll BET he wants to sit down with Josh "one on one", mmm hmm.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 8:06 am

Pastner on Lapides show right now 560AM
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:03 am

Ahhh...missed it. What did he say? Did George admit he bad-mouthed him yesterday on the phone with some other fogey?
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:18 am | Edited by: tigergreen

Andre Turner seems really gay to me, too. I'll BET he wants to sit down with Josh "one on one", mmm hmm.

hey, hey, hey....don't be talkin' about my andre!

i've STILL got the CA feature articles from the 85 final four run on him.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:36 am

OK, this gay theme is fun as hell. I just had to say it. I miss the gays, man. I am over here in Arkansas where no one can even talk about it yet.

Anyway, John Amaechi for Director of Basketball Ops?????? Good looking, suave and out of the closet!

***This is for Robin; while all these quotes are awesome in their own way--Tim Hardaway is a punk--Shaq's is very special as he sees himself as the "protector" (from the Amaechi page in wikipedia):

One widely-publicized response to Amaechi's announcement came from former NBA player Tim Hardaway, who stated that he would ask for a gay player to be removed from his team; "First of all I wouldn’t want him on my team. Second of all, if he was on my team I would really distance myself from him because I don’t think that’s right and I don’t think he should be in the locker room when we’re in the locker room. Something has to give, If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."[15]

Some players gave Amaechi public support; former Magic teammate Grant Hill expressed "the fact that John has done this, maybe it will give others the comfort or confidence to come out as well, whether they are playing or retiring."

Shaquille O'Neal told the New York Daily News, "If he was on my team, I guess I would have to protect him from the outsiders, I'm not homophobic or anything. I'm not the type who judges people, I wish him well."[16]

Charles Barkley said "It shouldn't be a big deal to anybody. I know I've played with gay players and against gay players and it just shouldn't surprise anybody or be any issue"
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:39 am | Edited by: Alisa

i've STILL got the CA feature articles from the 85 final four run on him.

me too!
I've never loved another Tiger like I loved him. (CDR came close, but no cigar.)
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:00 am

Demarcus Cousins commits to Kentucky.

Thanks Cal.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:57 am

Demarcus Cousins commits to Kentucky.

GAHHHH. It would be nice if Cal took some of his new $4 million a year salary to pay Memphis back for OUR money he spent recruiting him. I wouldn't mind so much if he went elsewhere- I understand that as fucked up as it is, when you commit to a school you're usually also committing to a coach- but him going to Kentucky makes me sick. Not just financially, but on principle.

John Amaechi is the shit! I love him. I love Shaq more, though. He has the best twitter ever. tigergreen- I meant no disrespect to Andre! I love him too. He just seems gay to me is all.

I am really, REALLY liking Josh Pastner the more I hear him talk and read about his history. I like his enthusiasm and optimism. I think Cal sort of fed everything about Memphians that is self-loathing and pessimistic, and it turned into a bit of a vicious cycle. There's something about Pastner that is just, I don't know... healthier. Memphis needs and deserves a guy like this right now. Not just the fans, but the city.

Pastner is what we get after being in a slightly abusive relationship (Cal) and going to therapy and getting our shit together, I guess. A genuinely nice guy who works hard and probably doesn't want to waste his time baiting 'The Miserables'.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:33 am

tigergreen- I meant no disrespect to Andre!

definitely no worries! just giving you a hard time, that's all.

honestly, i'm okay with cousins going with Cal. isn't he the one that was the head case out of all these recruits? let Cal deal with that drama.

supposedly UNC (his home state) is looking at Wall now b/c of a higher-than-expected ACT score, so if he goes to Carolina, & Xavier either stays here or goes to Kansas, then Cal loses out on 2 of the top 3.

i'd love to keep 'em all, but we're just not going to be able to. as long as Cal has to scramble & do some legwork himself to get his team together at Kentucky this year, & not rely on OUR NEW COACH'S recruiting abilities, i'll feel like things worked out a little more equally.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:28 pm

How could you not be excited to be Pastner and have a shot at going to the Tourney just with your returning guys your first year? I think it's gonna be awesome.

Missed him on Vernon's show yesterday as I had to get into the grizz game, but the clips i heard from the press conference were great.

Just thinking out loud, but he might have a harder time controlling his coaches than his players.

Anyway, Go Podnah!
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:44 pm | Edited by: saispas

It would be nice if Cal took some of his new $4 million a year salary to pay Memphis back for OUR money he spent recruiting him.

Did you hear him at the Final Four saying he and his wife planned on supporting "the communities of Lexington and Memphis"? I want to say he specifically mentioned donating $$$. Well, we'll see. Kentucky may get their hackles up if he throws $$$ this way, even though our city (regardless of FedEx and IP) needs the cash way more than lily white horseington does.

The quote of the week on 56: "Whatchall think 'bout Podnah? He good? He young right? Energetic? Yeah. Yeah. Podnah."

I love Pastner, y'all. The no-cafffeine, no-sodas, no-alcohol natural high (I guess he didn't say "No Adderall")???? I have so much respect/envy of that kind of discipline. The smiley chipmunk cheeks face? I just love it. Robin, you are speaking to my born in the 60's, therapist self with that analogy. He is good for us.

And please show me some Shaq Twitter posts--can anyone add him? I hate Twitter for myself, but if someone can entertain me, send it on. I just can see him saying with a resigned shrug and a sigh that he'd just have to pound the hell out anyone who hassles his gay teammate.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 1:10 pm

I want to say he specifically mentioned donating $$$. Well, we'll see.

Coach Cal started some kind of charity that has something to do with the schools...can't think of the name of it now. He talked about it quite a bit in his PC at Kentucky and indicated that he wanted to keep it going. I believe him.

Whatever you think about his defection, he did a LOT of good for this city. I still wish people would just get off his ass, though a lot of the anger has subsided.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm definitely not as pissed off and I've heard about some of the things he's done here. I will, however, be a bit disdainful of how he handled things. I am more angry at RC for sleeping on the job and allowing Cal to do certain things that continually put the program behind the eightball for this eventuality. No excuse.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 7:41 pm | Edited by: robin

Shaq's Twitter = http://twitter.com/THE_REAL_SHAQ . It's unlocked.

his latest = "I'm n baton rouge with feed the children, lotta happy families
4:46 PM Apr 7th from TwitterBerry"

But mostly he's just like, "I'm at so-and-so diner, first person to come touch me wins tickets to tonight's game". I fucking LOVE Shaq. He's so nice to his fans and seems like the biggest cuddly teddy bear.

I asked my mom to tell me more about Latanfernee Hardaway last night, because I couldn't remember the story. She said she was really bad and would always be like, "my daddy is coming to school today!" But he never did. And one day she gave my mom her phone number and told her, "Call this number if you want to help Black people." Which is hilarious, obviously, but it sounds like she was a pretty lonely kid and just wanted someone to talk to on the phone.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 9:36 pm

She said she was really bad and would always be like, "my daddy is coming to school today!" But he never did. And one day she gave my mom her phone number and told her, "Call this number if you want to help Black people." Which is hilarious, obviously, but it sounds like she was a pretty lonely kid and just wanted someone to talk to on the phone.

This makes me so sad. Especially the "he never did" part. Sounds like she's an only child. I can only hope not...I know nothing about his personal life.

In other news, I'm posting on the ncaabbs and not making any friends.
LAMF!!!!!

(Let's All Make Friends!)
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:33 pm

That "Call this number if you want to help black people" bit is pure gold.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 10:37 pm

Oh every assistant but Pastner is going to Kentucky. I loved Rod when he was the only sane Blazer in the extreme meltdown era but he's overrated. Plenty of other former NBA players could do as well or better. I'd actually rather let Pastner build his own staff.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:14 am

In other news, I'm posting on the ncaabbs and not making any friends.

i'm on there too, Alisa - but i've stayed away from that main board like the plague during all this...a lot of those people have completely gone off the deep end.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:37 am

i'm on there too, Alisa

Link please, I must see this.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:14 am

a lot of those people have completely gone off the deep end.

Those are probably the people who only cared a lot about the Tigers in the last 4 years. I bet they never got starstruck by seeing Larry Finch at Ike's when they were a kid!!
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:04 am

Those are probably the people who only cared a lot about the Tigers in the last 4 years.

yeah...there are a ton-of die-hard, long-time Tiger fans there, but they're also not the ones running around like chicken little, either.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:52 am

nails it on the head...
sure, he's incredibly optimistic, but why the hell not at this point??

http://memphisroar.com/2009/04/tiger-pride-cant-be-bought/
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:25 pm

i'm going to give into the optimism (for once) and just get behind pastner. the more i see of him, the more i like. he's all the things that i wish cal would have been and none of the things i hated in cal all along. i still think cal is somewhat of a slimeball and that he knew all along through the tournament he was going to kentucky. something just stank about that.

r.c. should totally get shitcanned for his lack of balls.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:38 pm

i'm on there too, Alisa - but i've stayed away from that main board like the plague during all this...a lot of those people have completely gone off the deep end.

I remember seeing you on there last year. Maybe even a pic of you and Joey?
No kidding. They are WAY out to lunch. I've never seen so much carrying on about something in my life.
I'm usually pretty mild-mannered, and surprised myself by getting (drunk and) into with them last night about Cal. I'm not about to go back and read what I posted this morning, but it was all about what a big bunch of deluded crybabies they are.

I'm sorry...I just think all these over the top histrionics about Cal are ridiculous. Those people need to get a grip. It's nuts. I'm ready to move on, and am happy about Coach Josh.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:45 pm

Just read that article, tigergreen, and that's pretty much what I was saying on the board. WE ARE MEMPHIS!!

God, that pic of Larry in his plaid pants with those other kids around him is one of the greatest photos I've ever seen!
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:48 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

yep, that was me (well, at least one of us, anyway, i'm sure there were more) with Joey last year...this year I got my pic with tyreke & dozier.

i'll admit to being off the deep end last week, but we now have a coach, and I'm happy with the choice. i think some youth & optimism is what we need, after years of "is it paranoia if they're really out to get you?"

my final opinion on the situation is that Cal knew he was going to Kentucky for a LONG time...maybe way before the tourney (thanks to world wide wes), and he knew that the kids josh was recruiting were coming with him as part of the deal.

there was no emotionally-torn decision on that monday, much as I would have liked to believe. he was probably in the house, calling all the recruits as his final act as memphis' coach.

cal gets what he wants...and as long as he was ours, that was okay. we shouldn't be surprised at how this panned out, I guess.

the coach is dead, LONG LIVE THE COACH!
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:49 pm

Those are probably the people who only cared a lot about the Tigers in the last 4 years

Hello! Bandwagon jumpers are horrendous. But I am sure people called me that when I got all into the Blazers when I moved to Portland. I had zero sense of history, but I did try to learn and respect it.

My favorite memory of watching the Blazers in the awful 00-01 season was when Sheed was first getting the highest # of technical fouls ever in history or something and on a TNT Halftime show, Charles Barkley was interviewed about it and he replied with nary a smile:

"Well, Sheed. (pregnant pause) He a knucklehead."

Anyway, back to the Tigers after that comedic break.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:58 pm

That article on Memphis Pride was great...I know you are sick of the "Cal bashing" but this is just some simple facts. The man was really really really annoying in the media. Ryan, of course, noticed it first because his Michigan State bbs just railed on him (sure, some of that came from the embarrassing abuse we dealt them last year). Then after it was pointed out, I started to really notice his paranoid politicking all over the damn place. He'd play this Rodney Dangerfield "We don't get no respect!" at every turn, when he should have just been rolling with it and shutting his mouth. Even Antonio Anderson handled the media with more grace and that is no dig on Antonio; it is just recognizing how professional he came off compared to his looney tunes coach.

Ugh. Yeah, well, he's gone, so pretty soon I won't even care about the bad stuff and I'll only remember the good.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 1:13 pm

Charles Barkley was interviewed about it and he replied with nary a smile:

"Well, Sheed. (pregnant pause) He a knucklehead."

This and Barkley's "gay" quote are making me really love him!

In no way am I happy about how this played out about Cal and the recruits. But I'm not about to dog him about the "morality" of it because it's NCAA legal, and what do you expect from a big money, high stakes business? Also, I don't think anyone else's morality is my business.
Could he have done this in a better way? Sure. Should he have done it in a better way? I don't know...I'm not Cal, and don't have to worry about sleeping with it every night.

GO TIGERS!!
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:16 pm

In no way am I happy about how this played out about Cal and the recruits. But I'm not about to dog him about the "morality" of it because it's NCAA legal, and what do you expect from a big money, high stakes business?

But the poor morality of it is what made it a "big money, high stakes business". It shouldn't be this way. We're talking about college ball, not the NBA. Only a very small percentage of these kids (not at Memphis, I mean overall) end up playing or coaching basketball once they graduate, if that even happens. All this one and done crap has made everything balloon into ickiness. I would love to see that rule get dropped.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:29 pm | Edited by: saispas

Agreed. Cal has pushed the envelope into a very grey and icky territory. Sure, he isn't the only one but he is certainly a leader of it, esp. in the poaching of the boys who have to end up at college for a year now, who truly would never have considered it unless they had to.

I have been torn about this from the get go. I think it is a shit rule. What is wrong with them going into the NBA or Europe right after high school if they aren't concerned about an education and they never have been?

You can argue "Oh they are kids and don't know the importance of getting an education." Well, a lot of them aren't getting one anyway. When I was Little Miss UTK Student, taking it all very seriously, I was disgusted at the whole college athlete bullshit, esp. with the football team there. I had friends that worked for the athletic dept as tutors who were encouraged to take tests for these guys. A friend of mine headed up the education component of the athletic dept at LSU (he played football at Vandy on scholarship...and had a 1400 SAT) when he was getting a PhD there and he was disgusted at the encouragement to push through these guys through classes.

I don't know...this can be argued to death and there are good arguments on both sides. Increased scholarship $$$ on guys who had zero commitment to the school, much less going to class. is just gross. You see how they have all acted prior to him even leaving the U of M--like little Show Me the Money, prima donna dickfaces. I would HATE playing on a team with one of these new deal guys if I knew the best I'd get was a 2 year deal in Europe, MAYBE, after I spent 4 years in college busting my ass.

Jim Calhoun is another one of these guys, just so you don't think I am solely beating beating up on Cal. They need to rewrite and firm up the rules.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 10:37 pm | Edited by: robin

What is wrong with them going into the NBA or Europe right after high school if they aren't concerned about an education and they never have been?

Especially because basketball players have a much shorter career span than football, baseball, or hockey players, and they peak early. It makes perfect sense and is generally part of a best possible game plan to stay in school 4 years if you play any of those three sports (I guess baseball is somewhat of an exception, but there's a much longer career possibility there)- and they aren't even required to! Only basketball, AKA The Sport That Only Black People Succeed In Professionally These Days Unless They Are Steve Nash, requires a year of college. So not only has the rule corrupted college basketball beyond belief, it's racist.

Someday one of these one and done kids is gonna get flagrantly fouled by a panicked kid from the likes of ECU or SMU who doesn't have a clue what he is doing. And he's gonna be permanently injured, ending or shortening his career. I guess the rule will get overturned then, but it's fucking ridiculous that it's gonna have to come to that.

I HATE the one and done shit.

Off my soapbox; back to Tigers.
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:00 pm

The Tigers rule!!!!
I suppose it hit home last night when the Blazers were on an Travis Outlaw was kicking ass and getting all these \"he\'s my favorite 6th man\" kudos from the announcers. He\'s coming in and able to kill on defense and score 20 a game. When he blew off Cal to be drafted be was nothing for a few years, but he had a contract and was getting paid to learn his JOB. He had primo trainers and coaches to teach him and get him to this stage almost 6 years later.
It paid off for him and the league. And if he had been injured, he would have still earned his contract $.
It doesn\'t surprise me that these 18 year olde are so jaded coming in when they are set up from the get go.
GO TIGERS!
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 11:03 pm

Sorry for the typos; I'm on my iPhone!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:10 am

Avery would have been cute too, though: http://j.photos.cx:8080/averyjohnsonisee-06e.gif
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:16 am

HA!

He looks like he is about to start "Vogue-ing".
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 6:27 pm

They're still talking about ANDRE!!!!!!!!
http://www.ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=364073

(I left a comment on this thread.)
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 12:53 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/sports/ncaabasketball/12calipari.htm l

Calipari gleefully noted at his introductory news conference April 1 that the Wildcats “don’t put banners up here for anything else except national champions.”

He added, “That’s why you want to coach here.”

Yeah, I guess that's why he threw that NIT parade a few years back, huh?
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Ryan and I were discussing "the state of college basketball" after reading the sourpuss Chris Herrington article in the last Flyer. First, it is annoying to read all these articles by writers who apparently had zero issues with the way Cal was running things when he was here. I can understand fans ignoring certain things, but "journalists" basically had/have no excuse as this stuff was happening all along.

That being said, another reason I have a problem with this skirting around the one year of college rule and the propensity that Cal (and others!) seems to increasingly embrace the one-and-done's is that it is ultimately not good for the emotional center of a program and the school's program overall in the long run. Simply put, do you think Tyreke Evans has any real connection to the Tigers? Do you really think he'll end up caring about Memphis when he has a bit of $$$ to donate to the school/city down the line? Fans will forget about him too, much as we have about Dajuan Wagner.
Tiger fans still talk about the players who stuck around, even if only for 2 seasons. The players who still have an emotional (and perhaps, financial) connection to the Memphis program are the ones who stuck around and developed an identity as a Tiger.
Maybe I am naive, but this desire to recruit one year dream teams is shortsighted. And I don't think Memphis needs to settle on this as a path to establishing itself as a program of merit.
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 7:11 pm | Edited by: robin

saispas- which article are you talking about? There's an editorial here and an article here.

I just found the editorial now, and I can get behind it. It's nothing we haven't talked about here on this thread, but it speaks the truth to some extent. But you are right though, in that there's no point in bringing all the Cal corruption up now. Especially journalists. At least our excuse is that we were BLINDED BY LOVE. But then again, shiiiit girl. You been sayin' what that column said all along! Maybe we need to lobby for you to get your own column.

The second article came out literally right as the whole story was breaking, and it struck me as being opportunistic and gross. I think that's probably the one you are talking about. Besides being insulting to fans of college basketball (as though we're fans of D-league basketball or something), it's ridiculous. Like sorry, but I'm never gonna love the Grizzlies the way I love the Tigers. They could win ten championships and the Tigers could never get to the NCAA tournament again, and I'd still love the Tigers about 800 times more. Were I nine years old now and playing OJ Mayo dressup instead of putting on swimming goggles and pretending to be Elliot Perry, sure it could happen; the seed can be planted for Memphis kids to love the shit out of the Grizzlies, or die hard Tigers fans can pick the Grizzlies as their second favorite team, or people who don't care either way (i.e. these new school fair weather Calipari era-only fans) can hop on the Grizzlies bandwagon. But not me.

And trust me, I know what I'm talkin' about. I live in Boston, the city where nobody gave a shit about the Celtics until last year and the Patriots until the early 00's, and now everyone loves the Red Sox (although who am I to talk about new school Red Sox fans; I sit in the bleachers at Sox/Yankees games and heckle the shit outta A-Rod along with the townies just like everybody else does).

And re: the whole one-and-dones success system being a poor fallback- I think Memphis fans are just restless and want immediate gratification, but yes. Relying on one-and-dones is shortsighted, at best. It's a gamble and it's a lot of extra recruiting work. And it's not necessary! Look at UNC's championship team this year. Perfect example.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 9:50 am

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:17 am

Xavier Henry also decided to NOT go visit Kentucky one more time, according to his dad.

that probably just means he's going to kansas, but considering CJ hasn't put in a transfer, the optimistic part of me hopes that maybe, just MAYBE, he wants to play with his brother badly enough that he'll come here, sticking it to the guy who used him like a pawn for the past month in the process.

i know, wishful thinking...i'm fine with X going to kansas, or somewhere else, just as long as it's not kentucky.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:17 am

Coleman’s game is reminiscent of former Memphis forward Joey Dorsey

awwwwwww yeah......
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:20 am | Edited by: tigergreen

Coleman's quotes on the Cal situation...

"Honestly, I was astounded about Calipari leaving, but I guess it’s all business," Coleman said. "Personally, that’s what I think this is. College basketball is just a big business and Calipari got a better offer, or maybe it was just a coach wanting to coach at Kentucky.

"I was astounded because I was like, 'How could you put together such an amazing recruiting class and it’s just gone.' I didn’t see anyone beating us next year, but hey, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do."

Pastner would be able to put a sour taste in these kids' mouths about Cal, if it's not already there..."he had a dream team with you and these other kids, and he thinks he can just pick all of you up & move your around with him like a bunch of game pieces?"
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Pastner would be able to put a sour taste in these kids' mouths about Cal, if it's not already there..."he had a dream team with you and these other kids, and he thinks he can just pick all of you up & move your around with him like a bunch of game pieces?"

Yeah, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would do that. I'm not sure if I like that or not yet, the whole nicey-nice thing.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 3:37 pm

I'll tell you the thing about Pastner that worries me...
Every article I've read, and even in the presser, they talk about how he DOESN'T SLEEP! Or like, sleeps two hours a night or something. No sleep=NERVOUS BREAKDOWN in the future!

Great news about the recruit, though.

Side note...I wore my Tigers Final 4 shirt in Hot Springs this weekend, and a LOT of people were giving me the thumbs up and the GO TIGERS!

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm not sure if I like that or not yet, the whole nicey-nice thing.

nicey nice doesn't necessarily mean backing down, though. so far i've been super-impressed with him.

i do kind of agree that at some point, he won't be able to work on no sleep like that...i just hope that time frame is over 10 years from now!
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Yeah, I think he is nicey nice but intensy tense! I think he will develop into being quite the hard ass, in a good way.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:39 pm

My heart aches for the good ol' days of a couple of weeks ago, when there was no sad nostalgia for all the lack of action in Chance McGrady's senior video (minus, of course, the creepy flirtatious lip licking).

Everything is so complicated now! I don't know who to trust anymore! Besides y'all folks, of course.
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Xavier Henry can suck it and so can his brother.

I just came back from the Townie Bahhh (bar) where I watched Derrick Rose talking about his ROY award and cheered the whole time, while Celtics fans gave me the evilest of evil eyes. Whatevs, dude. I don't give two shits about the Bulls, but GO DERRICK ROSE.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 8:22 am

I am into the Bulls for how they are making the Celtics and their jabrone fans sweat it out this playoff series! Yeah, yeah on Ray Allen's clutch (hate him) but Chi is SWEATING THEM.

GO DERRRICK and the Bulls!
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 3:03 pm

one of the salesguys in my office forwarded this email from coach p...

Dear Rebounders,

First off, I wanted to thank all of you for your tremendous support for not only myself, but for the entire Tiger Basketball program. I've said this before but I will say it again because it is the absolute truth: this is YOUR team, the city's team.

We are going to do things the right way and that begins by building a strong foundation, from the grassroots on up. This isn't something that will happen overnight because we won't cut corners. It may even be the type of situation where we have to take a step back in order to get two or three steps ahead.

I can assure you that we will always be positive, loyal, principled, energized and enthusiastic. There are great things ahead for Tiger Basketball and I appreciate all that you do to help make this one of the best programs in the country.

Go Tigers!!!

Josh Pastner
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 4:24 pm

I can assure you that we will always be positive, loyal, principled

Huh. That's new.
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Oh well.

I am more than willing to concede that players are going to jump ship after all this BS and it will take awhile to build back up.

Hey, if we could build back up from the Tic Price era that I was still into somehow, we can do anything. We are in a better situation now than then.

Calapari will be experiencing the not so fun aspects of come uppance eventually. And, sorry Cal fans, I will relish that first taste he gets of letting a few Kentucky fans down (and hey, it doesn't take much).
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Calapari will be experiencing the not so fun aspects of come uppance eventually. And, sorry Cal fans, I will relish that first taste he gets of letting a few Kentucky fans down (and hey, it doesn't take much).

I agree...and it may start sooner than we think. if he only gets 1 or 2 of the recruits he had here, they're gonna start wondering if he's worth all that $$ pretty quickly.

so far Wall and Cousins are the only two that he has, and Wall hasn't even committed yet. Cousins is a head case, so he could possibly do more harm than good.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:21 am

And there is that little matter than he is finally in a halfway decent (arguably, really, but better than CUSA) conference and he hasn't proven he can game coach in the clinch. Think about it: Supreme players always saved his ass in that respect...Canby was his saving grace at UMass. Yeah, you can say Penny and Socks were Finch's saving graces, but at least Finch was a sweetie.
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 10:09 am

Finch Vanilla tastes way better than a CAL steak anyday! Finch recruited locally and I loved his edgy teams. Pastner will get some of the local talent to stay put so we will see a few more memphis guys on the team in the next few years.
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 8:42 am

Finch Vanilla tastes way better than a CAL steak anyday!

Holy shit! I forgot about Finch Vanilla! I used to get it for the name alone. Is Cal's steakhouse even still open? I was randomly wondering that when I was trying to fall asleep the other night.

I can't wait for next season, y'all. It's definitely not gonna be what we thought it was, but it's the dawn of a new era. And I definitely can't wait to see Cal lose some games on a regular basis.
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 10:42 am

I live about 5 minutes from the old Cal's so maybe I'll cruise by later and check it all out...I'm sure it isn't long for this world.
Posted: May 2, 2009 2:42 pm

Sorry for reviving this epic thread, but I had to show y'all Calipari's Twitter. If you ever doubted that he's a total douche, this will kill the doubt in a second.

http://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari
Posted: May 2, 2009 2:50 pm

I cannot believe that's for real.
How insane.
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 5:17 pm

and the hammer falls, but no future punishment except monetary it looks like:

what's the return policy for ncaa records? can we exchange it for another?
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 11:20 am

I want to shove a Gibson's fritter up his nose bit by bit.

From CoachCal.com:

Calivation (he actually has an inspirational quotes section on the site titled this)

I've always believed that you can think positive just as well as you can think negative. - Sugar Ray Robinson
Posted: Jan 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyone have any info. on a young lady in Harbortown?
Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®