Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next »
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Someone get these boys some 5 Hour Energy!!!!

They need to keep up the PACE.
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 4:21 am

for once, i was happy. but i hate cincinnati so much. i'm glad they won because i don't like cincy at all and it was fucking HILARIOUS when the ref got pegged in the arm with the basketball. the win? it made up for the stupid ass grizz who managed the blow the only game in the entire season i coulda give a shit about them winning simply because they were playin against dumb jerkfuck kevin love. son of a bitch. if i possibly could have given less of a shit about the grizz, they went and lost against the one team that happened to take our terrible beach boys fucking grandson i wear my pants around my ankles and look like a color me badd reject first round pick. fuck that guy.
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 9:05 am

I thought we looked like shit against an unranked Cincinatti team. The only teams we have beaten this year are piss poor private schools and unranked non conference bozos! Evans is still selfish as shit and has a horrible jump shot. Our team dosent look like a team right now at all. Sure...we poured it on at the end, but as a whole we looked like shit on national tv last night.
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 10:15 am

It was a frustrating game--I thought we looked bad too. Mack has totally lost it, yet Cal keeps playing him. I think he attempted the same damn play/shot 4-5 times last night. Pierre made some good plays, but scored no points. Anderson was the only one who was "on" there for a while. Nevertheless, it was a hell of a lot of fun--the energy in the Forum was great. Maybe because it was close all the way to the end?
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 11:58 am

both teams were shooting around 11% for the first half of the first half... astounding.

i think there's a team in there, it just hasn't shown up or hasn't been allowed to play.

give chance a chance!
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 1:29 pm

I think they'll be fine after they've played together for a while--they're just a young team that's not gelling yet. That while may not be til next season, but that's alright. I still love my Tigers!
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 1:46 pm

cincinnati is pretty goddamn awful and yeah, we look like shit. i was just happy that they didn't blow it. *whew* and dozier was doing well with the free throws for a change.
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 2:28 pm

I will indeed give chance a chance Eric! You still at the island?
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 6:23 pm

nah, i left obama in kailua and i'm in action at fedexforum... tonight, grizzlies!
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 11:27 am

i'm just glad antonio got whatever out of his system & started hitting some shots against cincinnati!

AND, i'm glad today is the last 1 pm game - i'm stuck at work & can't use my tickets!
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 1:44 pm

wow - so far in the first half looks like evans has finally decided to show up!
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Exactly my point...who the fuck are they playing..Northeastern?? What the fuck and its still close. The dude cannot do shit against a worthy oponnent.
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 2:22 pm

COLIN!!! They are playing the team on their schedule! I mean, this ain't the team of last year for sure but damn, let's try to enjoy what we have just a tad or it will become just another thing this town to bash on. And we already have too many easy targets for that.

Anyways, I know it is frustrating but...
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 4:59 pm

I was super-impressed with our freethrows--WOW! Well that, and we whipped the shit out of them. Laird even got to play! I wish there had been more people there--weird time, weird day I guess.
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 6:27 pm

..and a shitty opponent. I know this is their schedule and its not last years team, but whippin up on the likes of Drexel, Marist and Northeastern does nothing for our team. We play a team like that and Evans has a huge game(27 points etc.) against vistually no defense. I suppose its like a scrimmage of sorts and may help with shooting and conditioning. Another note about Evans. Every single time there is a televised game the commentators start going on and on about Tyreke. 9 times out of 10 they bring up the Mcdonalds All American Game(which is a prestigious high school alll star game)and how he was the MVP of the game. See..thing is, no one plays defense in the Mcds Allstar Game. Its a fucking free for all just like the NBA Allstar game. Its guys out there showing their offensive style and skills. Just like this season. When someone worh a shit is in his face, he can do nothing. Im not a fan and until he can start playing up to the hype and pass the fucking ball like teamate I got no love for that dude. Ive seen him travel with the ball so many times its stupid for a player at that level. Maybe one of the biggest duds in years for the Tigers! I think the best things about this team are Witherspoon and Sallie. Great great young talent that will be good for us down the stretch. Pierre is playing much better this year against worthy opoonents. Free throws seem to be better when they arent as "valuable" if you will. On the other hand, Dozier looks half asleep about 75% of the time and Mack has lost it. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and I am Tiger fan and have been all my life. Just very, very dissappointed at this point. That game against the Vols in January has the potential to be ugly...relly ugly! Go Tigers!
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm

I too love Sallie and Witherspoon. I know you love them and I am frustrated/bored at this stage, but I am gonna get into it and not react too strongly...yet!

And, Henderson-Niles definitely has lost more weight and is moving much better. I wish the boy could shoot and had some Chris Masseyesque scrap in him.
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 7:08 pm

Yeah..thing is with Niles, he could play on the line in the NFL no doubt. I wouldnt be suprised that after college he goes and tries out for the NFL. He would be one of the fastest most in shape linemen in the league. Hope he has thought about it...no shit! Hes a freakin monster. Saw him a few seasons ago while I was picking up food at Wangs on Highland. Dude had a grocery sized brown paper bag full of shit to go.
Posted: Jan 1, 2009 5:15 am

I saw him at the first of the Cincy game and he was so lean (comparatively) that I had to think about who it was. He moved smoothly too and then I realized it was him and was hoping to see something come of it, but no dice. NFL is a great idea. We'll catch him at Wang's or the Paradiso and share the advice.
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 3:39 pm

Man oh man...look for Tyweak Evans and the Tigers to have a huge game against against yet another piss poor shit of an oponnent tonight. I can fucking wait. Someone wake me up when the Conference Tournament rolls around. Snore.
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 4:09 pm

How about the conference season? That oughta be just as relevant. Starts in 4 days.
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 4:24 pm

Look out Cal, the "miserables" are loose!
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey, I was being sarcastic in response. See my previous comments.
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 5:02 pm

The Tigers look pretty misreable, thus creating misreables!
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 11:30 am

They don't look as good as Kansas (they should be ranked) but they look about as good as Tennessee, which isn't that good, but they could beat them this time around. At least they could if we play Tennessee soon. Hopefully the men's hoops have the bad luck that the football team at TN had this past season.
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 2:30 pm

i don't think kansas should be ranked; they're not looking any better than we are. i definitely don't think tennessee should be ranked. they got beat bad by temple and kansas showed them up last night. next week they oughta drop to the bottom of the top 25 and then once conference play begins they'll trickle out.

speaking of top 25 rankings, i'm getting annoyed with having to dig around on espn.com to find tigers scores instead of having them on the front page. my three-year routine is ruined.

yeah, we're clearly spoiled.
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 7:11 pm

Kansas is pretty fucking good. I expect them to make a run in the tournament and I think they are probably stronger than the Tigers with the presence of that big white dude down low that ripped Tennessee, as well as Collins their point guard! As much as I hate to say it, Tennessee is pretty strong as well and will be very, very tough to play in Knoxville. I would imagine Tennessee will win the SEC. Yeah..its hard to get used to the Tigers being in that "second tier" of college teams this year. We are spoiled and it may be a few years before we get back to our dominating ways. Conference USA will be tougher this year and it will be no cakewalk for the Tigers, especially those away games.
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 8:35 pm

file this under "it's only december & all the teams have a long way to go:"

unranked boston college 85
#1 north carolina 78

i definitely think the tigers are "getting it" now. they're starting to gel...crap opponents or no, you can tell that their style of play has changed in the past couple of weeks. the x factor is going to be whether or not the shooting continues to improve.
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 11:10 am

lots of upsets this past weekend in College Basketball. Pitt almost gave up one to Rutgers. That would have made my day.
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 12:52 pm

say bye-bye to J-Rob...too bad he just never "got it." he showed some real hustle in a few games last year:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/05/memphis-tigers-guard- jeff-robinson-be-granted-rele/
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Anyone know if the game is shown on comcast digital today? And what channel? I checked gotigergo and they said it was broadcasted on CBS Sports channel, but somehow I got the impression you could only watch it online for pay here.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 4:16 pm

it's on cbs college sports....
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 4:58 pm

right...what channel is that?
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:02 pm

nevermind, I found it. 222, thanks.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm

this game is SUCKING. they are clanging dunks, for chrissakes.

i liked that CDR interview though where he said joey dorsey isn't returning his calls.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:16 pm

DOWN BY EIGHT. If they lose this game I officially give up on this season. Officially. At this rate they'll be lucky to be a bubble team this in March.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:51 pm

up by eight. i can't see it, internet updates. suck.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 5:57 pm

now they're only up by 5 and UCF has the ball. tigers are really letting the crowd get to them. they haven't had momentum the whole game.
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 7:01 pm

i liked that CDR interview though where he said joey dorsey isn't returning his calls.

link please.
Robin, I felt the same way about giving up. But, I WILL NOT!!
They pulled it out, but these guys look fucking CLUELESS most of the time.
And, I don't think Cal's helping!!!
I'm pretty disappointed in Dozier and Anderson. Jeesh, guys, STEP THE FUCK UP and tell those guys how it's supposed to be done.
Tyreke makes my blood boil most of the time.

Gotta remember, though, Derrick Rose wasn't making me so happy this time last year either.
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 12:35 pm

And, I don't think Cal's helping!!!

He certainly didn't help by NOT CONSIDERING WHO WOULD BE THE POINT GUARD until the season started. Hello? Recruiting?
I cannot blame these kids half the time when the coach who gets paid over a mil a year doesn't consider stuff like that.
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 3:20 pm

They looked like shit. Still no "team" effort whatsoever. Someone needs to punch Dozier in the nose to wake his sleepy as up. Quit fucking with the headband, open your eyes and close your mouth dude! Play.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 10:05 am

I feel like I watch every game, am critical the whole time, and then end up going "Well, it's a win. I'll take a win however I can get one." That is highly problematic. The Tulsa game tonight has me worried. It's on ESPN2, I think.

CJ Henry needs to get well (can't he play point, or am I making that up?) and Angel Garcia needs to get cleared. We need all the help we can get!

Can't find the CDR interview. Only this.

That shit is still hilaaarious.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 10:14 am | Edited by: tigergreen

i think CJ Henry is more of a forward, but I could be wrong on that.

I don't think he's going to be an answer to our problems this season...he'll be so far behind on the learning curve once he gets totally healed (his foot is still not right, from what I understand) it'll be tournament time & not the time to test him out.

I just want some consistency. The team we saw in the 2nd half against UCF can get it done...the 1st half, notsomuch. If we come out against Tulsa like we finished UCF, and maintain it the whole game, we won't have a problem.

If we're lazy with Tulsa, though, they'll probably beat us. They're 2nd under us in CUSA, and you know their crowd will be just as ready.

We've been SO spoiled the past couple of seasons, that we're not willing to accept a single conference loss...it's a good problem to have; I just hope that people don't totally give up on them if we do drop one this year. It doesn't mean we suck, it just means we're not last year's team.

This is still a second round, if not a sweet sixteen team (once they gel some more), and with a lot of luck, they could still get to the elite 8. A lot of luck is what it took for the '06 and '07 teams to get to that point, remember.

None of the teams this year are as great as they were last year - unc keeps dropping games, and they were the only ones who didn't have to basically start all over. If anyone shouldn't have an excuse this year, it's them & their whiny-ass hansbrough.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 6:26 pm

We've been SO spoiled the past couple of seasons, that we're not willing to accept a single conference loss...it's a good problem to have; I just hope that people don't totally give up on them if we do drop one this year. It doesn't mean we suck, it just means we're not last year's team.

THANK YOU! It doesn't mean that I don't expect frustration from anyone when you see mediocrity or worse, but when complaining is all there is, I truly wonder why those people still care to be fans. Fair weather fandom is second only to bandwagon-jumping in serious sports fan faux pas!

It is like D. Dunlap said the other night, "I am not averse to the NIT Championships. I liked that year." Maybe we aren't even at that level, but neither was Michigan State or DUKE last year and look at those two teams this season.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 7:15 pm

It is like D. Dunlap said the other night, "I am not averse to the NIT Championships. I liked that year."

I will say, I WILL be pissed if we only went to the NIT! Even I have my limits after last year.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:10 pm

AGGGGRRRRRR

8:34 left - 44-39 Memphis.
Technical foul on Cal.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey, I'd be disappointed in being relegated to the NIT, but would I go and scream for them to mop up the floor with oh, UNC-Asheville? HELL YES! Go Tigers! Sheeeeet. I have sat beside my husband for the last 5 years when his Michigan State Spartans have a couple of times looked pretty sad and weak. But did he sway or falter? Did they have less rabid fans? Nope. My friend Greg and his Xavier team too. There are shit years and glory years. Fans gotta take the good with the bad and not get too crazy until there is an obvious streak of BAAAAD. And we are not there, at least not now.

Hey if Memphis can tolerate Willie Herenton as its mayor for 17 years, a couple of weak Tigers years here and there ain't shit.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

I AM CROAKING!
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm

This is GREAT!
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:40 pm

THIS IS AWFUL.
Thank god I've been drinking.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Yeah, this is scary but exciting nonetheless. Sure, it would be more fun if this were the Tennessee game, but let's check again what conference we are in? Yep, CUSA. So we play Tulsa.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:42 pm

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:43 pm

YES!!!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!

Tulsa's a shit hole!
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:44 pm

whoah.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:45 pm

And icing on the cake (and cause for one more Salty Dog)...Kentucky is beating Tennessee at home!
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:47 pm

woah is right.

Tonight's the first time I've seen them play as a team, but FUCK. We were obviously the better team, but it was too close. Way too close.

Get er done.
And, I'm happy to see that they did that. But, CHRIST!!
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:52 pm | Edited by: saispas

I am totally excited tonight! I love a fucking win and that would have been a classic game to be at. I wanna go to an away game sometime. Anyone up for a UAB field trip? We could get them back for their stupid ass signage last year. But they'll be here this year...hmmm, maybe we can just be some agent provacateurs and root for whomever they are playing sometime at a home game and cause a scene.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Tyweak Evans..biggest bust in college basketball. Undeserving win for the Tigers tonight. Tulsa outplayed us tonight. An unfortunate sign of things to come in my opinion. Thank goodness they didnt rely on Tyweak for that last shot. Im happy for Anderson cause he definitely needed something for his confidence this season.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Outplayed us? We out-rebounded them and caused a ton of turnovers. Though Tryeke made a few bone-head plays he also made some really great ones and was our leading scorer with 23 pts.

The only that hurt us was once again, free throws (11 of 25).
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 8:29 am

We out-rebounded them

uhhh, no, actually. tulsa had 36, we had 20.

that's the inexcusable part to me...we can't make shots? fine. then we HAVE to get a rebound to put it back up, & not let them get a second chance. we completely failed at that last night.

Dozier was in a daze the entire time - thank goodness for Mack fighting for balls, & Willie Kemp having a good defensive game!

and of course, thank God Tone is clutch!
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 8:34 am

Dozier was in a daze the entire time

Maybe he hooked up with Coop?
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 8:55 am

Sometimes you have to read beyond the stat line to come to these kind of conclusions. A basketball program of Memphis's stature vs. a program of Tulsa's, this sholud be no contest. Tulsa far outplayed the Tigers last night. We won by 2 points last night and we were in the Natl. Championship last year. I know we dont have the some of the same players...blah..blah..blah, but it dosent matter. Tulsa is a nobody in comparison. Cal should be ashamed. We were out rebounded by 16 and we missed 14 free throws. Ill tell ya though...that Tulsa coach has got it going on. He will be with a bigger program sometime soon.
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 12:14 pm

i would agree that the tulsa coach had it goin' on had he not put one of his worst free throw shooters at the line during cal's technical. what the fuck was that? dude clanked 'em both. 'twas hilarious.

TONE!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Anyone up for a UAB field trip?

We went to the freakshow that was last year's game down there...luckily we had our ride pick us up on the other side of the arena from where the kids were camped out, but it was 10 kinds of shady getting out of there.

I swore I wouldn't give Birmingham another dime of my money after they couldn't control their students or fans like that...or their boosters, for that matter. One of them came in the interview room drunk & started calling Cal names. Talk about some low-rent, low-class fans!
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Well, I plan on going to the UAB game here but I can't make a classy guarantee. I am sure I will come out looking like Emily Post compared to a UAB fan, however.
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 9:11 pm

you could mock UAB for losing that recruit that was right up there with xavier henry. OUCH.

after last year i can't believe anyone would go to a UAB away game, at least not for a few years. that shit was straight up crazy. i can't wait to watch it on tv, though. cal, pleeeeease start pierre niles during that game. oh, please.
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:21 am | Edited by: saispas

If we played them at their (shit)house last season, they should be HERE this season. Heh heh heh as elle might say.

Note--Whaddaya know? THIS SATURDAY. JANUARY 17th. Fed Ex Forum!!!!!
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 10:29 am

yep, here this saturday night, there February 26.
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 3:31 pm

please tell me the band is practicing "whoop that trick" extra hard.
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 5:47 pm

please tell me the band is practicing "whoop that trick" extra hard.

They also now play T.I. - Whatever You like.
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 9:30 pm

We finally came together after halftime tonight. Go Tigers! Shutting Vaden down completely.
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 9:49 pm | Edited by: eric o

pretty good game! free throws still sucked.
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I swore I wouldn't give Birmingham another dime of my money after they couldn't control their students or fans like that...or their boosters, for that matter. One of them came in the interview room drunk & started calling Cal names. Talk about some low-rent, low-class fans!

just worked tonight's game in front of the "blue crew." i like the tigers, but their fans make me want whoever they're playing to cram it down those obnoxious kids' throats. Memphis has a bad enough reputation around the country without putting those dipshits on national tv. "Not only will you get robbed and murdered here, but we also have the fattest and ugliest college kids around." Plus everyone at the game is old, rich and white who normally wouldn't piss on a black kid if he was on fire, but since they can play some basketball they treat em like little princes.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 12:15 am

wow, severin motherfuck. you think too much.
and obviously have no history with the tigers.

the game wasn't on national tv tonight.
methinks this is a crazy assed UAB fan!
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:44 am

nope! maybe not from here, but no UAB fan.

College basketball is obnoxious in a unique way. Blue haired boosters and obnoxious drunk college kids. not a lot in the middle.

if you're not into it, you will not be into it. especially with the band blasting your head off with "let the sunshine in" every time out.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 10:05 am

that is college basketball! Blue hairs, drunk white college kids, goofball band jocks and black freaks of nature! And I love it!
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:06 pm

I have just been informed that some other college games do not have such a wild "well-off blue hair" contingent. I want to say that a majority of these people are life-long Memphians, most of whom graduated from Memphis State. Verifications?
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 1:38 pm

The blue-haired boosters imo are even more obnoxious than the drunk college kids, whom you expect to act like douchebags...

I've got a new way of watching the Tigers at the line. I expect them to miss every time, and every one they make is a bonus. Gnashing your teeth over every missed free throw, especially when Cal doesn't care to address the problem, is pointless...
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 8:10 pm

the game wasn't on national tv tonight.
methinks this is a crazy assed UAB fan!

well it might not have been on national tv, but there were tons of extra cameramen, reporters and CBS banners everywhere. didn't mean to go on a rant, just got stuck in front of those retards for 3 hours. like i said before, i like the tigers. and for the record, the only people in north alabama who are uab fans are students who attend uab. everyone else says ROLL TIDE.
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 8:37 pm

I sure wish it had been on TV...I was stuck somwhere that didn't have digital cable (it was on CBS Sports channel...222 in Memphis).
So, I was a little sour graping it because I really, really wanted to see that game!
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 11:06 am

the UAB game was on national tv, just as a clarification. CBS-C. it's no ESPN, but it's still broadcast nationally.
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Big game tonight against the Rice Owls! Tigers are 27 point favorites..huh?
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:29 am

UT up next. Too bad I have to stare at that awful orange floor they have for 40 minutes. Maybe Pearl will paint his face orange like an idiot. Oh and I was looking at UTs schedual and they have played Gonzaga twice? Was the first time a preseason tourney?
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:38 am

Was the first time a preseason tourney?

Yea, it was the same preseason tourney the Tigers backed out of because we didn't want play those teams twice.

FUT!

TIGER VICTORY BEARD LIVES ON!
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 10:51 am

this game is gonna be a flat-out war. it could go either way, but for whatever reason i feel better about this year than i did last year - there was just too much pressure last time, i guess.

i'm gonna be in nashville for this game saturday & there's nothing better i'd like to see than a bunch of silent vawl fans wherever i go watch the game.

GO TIGERS! WHIP SOME ORANGE ASS!
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 4:59 pm

RETRIBUTION!!!
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 5:26 pm

GO TIGERS!!!!!

They didn't look scared today!
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 6:21 pm

The curse is over! Got y'all on that stupid checkerboard! Bruce Pearl looks as amateurish as his team; or perhaps the cat is out of the bag and he is meant to coach schools like UW-Green Bay.
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Still on a bit of a Tiger high, but through the haze I'm still asking myself about Cal's endgame decision making. Missing the last free throw on purpose while you're only up 2 and the other team still has a time-out is freaking idiotic IMO (and nearly cost us the game)! Why can't this bonehead just go up 3 and foul like every other coach in America?!?
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Cal's endgame decision-making always appears questionable, really.
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 5:57 pm

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooooooou ut! hahahahahahah.
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Oh man, this was the best game EVER. Did anyone see that video on the commercial appeal homepage where at the end they've got all those stupid orange assholes swaying back and forth like somebody fucking DIED, and then Tagg walks off the court waving at the crowd? YESSSS!!!!

Vols played dirty- that much-bigger guy getting up in Willie's face and the asshole grabbing Tagg's foot and trying to pull him to the ground spring to mind. But saispas is right. The curse is fuckin' over. Bring on March!!!
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 8:55 pm | Edited by: Jughead

Another brilliant Cal move: announcing to the whole world that we only run the "winner" play at the end of games, when we really need it. Let's just hand our opponents the playbook while we're at it!

Ahhh, I'm bitching like we lost the game. Cal's a fraud as a game coach, but he must be doin' something right! I just wish we could send him to the showers for the last 5 minutes of close games...
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 10:19 am

Another brilliant Cal move: announcing to the whole world that we only run the "winner" play at the end of games, when we really need it. Let's just hand our opponents the playbook while we're at it!

you think Cal actually truly does everything he says to the media? it's like him saying he felt tyreke was the guy he wanted to have the ball at the end of a close game, and then what does he do at tulsa? go to antonio - granted, antonio wanted it, but he could have said no, too.
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 11:19 am

I'm saying Cal has presided over the best stretch of Tiger hoops ever. He should get the lionshare of credit for that. I'm also saying that if he was better at game management, we'd have at least one national title...

Re: the media, what benefit is derived by announcing our endgame strategy? You actually think this was a good idea?
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 12:38 pm

i just don't think it means it's the only endgame strategy he has, that's all.
and i do agree that he made the wrong call in the kansas game - he even admits that.
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Aight, cool. I wasn't aware Cal admitted anything, other than it was Derrick Rose's fault...
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 1:35 pm

I've never heard him blame Derrick Rose once for that. He takes the blame for not calling a timeout, but he also says that you can't spend a lot of time focusing on regrets. I don't think he's so wrong about that last part, either.
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Ok look, my whole point against Cal is that he still makes wacky decisions at the ends of games. Last year's finals loss should have drummed into his head that you go up three, THEN FOUL! What if that last UT shot had gone in (and it barely missed)!? Everybody would be calling for Cal's head...
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 3:35 pm

but he also says that you can't spend a lot of time focusing on regrets.

I disagree-- at least in basketball, focusing on regrets can be a source of making positive change, as long as you think of solutions every time that pang of regret hits. Maybe Cal actually focuses more than he is letting on and just doesn't want US to focus on it! Anyway, let's not talk about that game. It still makes me sick!!!

Back to the UT win--hahahahahahahahaha!
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

I don't wanna focus on these regrets, either! I'll gladly stop when Cal let's me!

Anyway, like I said above - he must be doing something right, cuz we keep winning. It's not like I long for the days of Tic Price...

GO TIGERS! Don't let up vs. ECU!
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 7:50 pm

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ALL NEED TO TAKE THIS ARGUING OVER TO THE AUCTION PAGE AND FIGHT OVER WHO'S GONNA GET THAT COACH CAL AUTOGRAPHED BASKETBALL!
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 10:52 am

Still rolling. . .
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Yeah, they looked impressive last night, especially Antonio - man, he keeps playing like that and he'll get drafted...
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 7:45 am

Who'll be there Saturday at Noon!?!?! Me! Going with Brooke & the kids, so look for us.
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 4:28 pm

i'll be running all those ads on the jumbotron...

GOT GRANITE?
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 2:50 pm

Still rolling. . .
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 2:34 pm

That was a fun one--things got kinda sketchy a couple of times but never did I once think we'd lose that game.
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 3:42 pm

And how awesome was Pierre Henderson-Niles!

Did anyone else see this a few days ago? What the heck is Andre Allen doing?
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/27/ex-tiger-guard-allen- suspended-crichtons-team/
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 4:17 pm

Niles was great. I was proud of all of them yesterday. Dozier finally came correct. Go Tigers!
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 8:09 pm

And seriously, Tyreke Evans is sick. NOT WEAK.
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 10:40 pm

How scary were those three airballs in a row last night? Kemp, Tyreke, Tyreke. I thought I was about to fall on the floor and have a heart attack. They made up for it later though with the three blocks in seven seconds.

Bring on Gonzaga!!!
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 10:43 pm

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 5:21 pm

I think this is a big deal even though he's not a big producer.

"Simpkins Doesn't Make Gonzaga Trip"
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 5:26 pm | Edited by: saispas

So what could the big news be? The athletic director apparently said he was removed from the team.

As far as the airballs, yeah that was weak, but I'm telling you, I saw him make some serious, serious moves in the last 5 games. Impossibly more talented than anyone else we have.

Is that Mack shave REAL?!?!?!
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 5:32 pm

that DMack haircut is great, but it seems too good to be true.
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 5:35 pm

as far as simpkins goes, i know our sports department spent all afternoon trying to figure it out. just before 5PM, they spoke to the university and they said he was still on the team.
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 5:40 pm

This is some typical Cal stuff--RC Johnson will say someone is gone and then he'll talk to Cal and it is another story. Hilarious.
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 12:43 am

That shave in Mack's head is not real.

The creator of that photo has mad PS skills.

I find it hilarious that no one, including myself, is sure if D Mack has enough sense not to get that haircut.
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 7:38 am

Matt Simpkins has been kicked off the team. Makes us pretty thin down low!
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 8:08 am

I find it hilarious that no one, including myself, is sure if D Mack has enough sense not to get that haircut.

Hey--this is a Tiger baller we are discussing here; its early but I want to say if we looked at this board from about a year or two back, we'd see some similar hilarity!
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 9:00 am

querschun...where do you get a shirt that makes a 6'9" baller look like his head's been shrunk (re: picture in simpkins article above).
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 8:51 pm

near halftime...
DUDES!!...GO TIGERS! Up 15 points...
Those guys came to play!
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 9:07 pm

up 17. Looking good!
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 9:39 pm

Damn good!!! GO TIGERS!
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 10:12 am

While I did not get to watch nearly enough of this game, what I did see was INCREDIBLE! The first half? Shit! GO TIGERS!
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 10:24 am

Holy shit! What a game!

They looked mighty impressive!
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 1:08 pm

That game was freaking amazing. I was watching it at an Irish pub in my neighborhood and every time something awesome happened, which was often, my friend and I would throw our arms in the air and start freaking out and all the townies would turn around and give us dirty looks. But man, that game was so good! It felt the same as it did watching the Mich St, Texas and UCLA games in the tournament last year. Just fucking ridiculous, and no stress for most of the game (although it got a teeny bit scary there at the end).
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 8:50 pm

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 6:06 pm

DOMINATION!

I'm starting to feel kind of good about this.
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 8:53 pm

tiger-related: d rose won the skills competition for all star weekend.
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Tigers are up to #5 in the AP poll.
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm

almost wore fed ex colors for this last game:

FedEx Appreciation Night
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 4:52 pm

While I'll admit that basically everyone is not quite on their game this season, I gotta say HAHAHAHA and GO TIGERS!!
I was going to write "we also now have the longest winning streak in the nation" but I won't because....

HELL YEAH!
And, there's not been much "thug" talk going around this season...which it seems there was a lot of that going on this time last year.
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 4:54 pm

I am very impressed, but they have GOT to start playing their second half game sometime in the first half.
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 12:58 pm

Can't wait for tonight! Wesley Witherspoon is back!
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Posted: Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm

They MUST win...Michigan St at #6 lost last night.
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm so pissed. I have to go to my birthday dinner tonight!!
I'm assuming seven o'clock start, right?
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 6:48 pm

yep...
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Doneal Mack is our Icy Hot Sharp Shooter of the first half!
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Tigers in the final four! C'mon! GO TIGERS!
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 11:03 am

that last night is what I call an ass-beatin'.
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 11:17 am

Tyweak Evans..biggest bust in college basketball.

How do you like your crow served? With a side of foot-in-mouth?
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 11:37 am

I went to the game last night, Tigers are looking really good. This team seems different than past teams because when they get you down, they don't let up. Also, TV doesn't do justice to how big our team is - when we roll out with every player over 6'6", it's a joke compared to these other teams...

It's looking like Witherspoon is gonna get alot of Pierre Niles' minutes, too...
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Ummm..ok Im going to defend myself as I think Im the one that stated that about Tyreke. You have to remember what conference we play in. Tyreke had a big agme againts Gonzaga and Tennessee I will give him that. Other than that...he hoops it up againt teams such as Tulane, SMU, Rice etc.. I mean comon folks. Sure, the Tigers beat SMU by 40. SMU is absolutely horrible...horrible! I am a Tiger fan through and through and want them to do well, I just am still not a Tyreke fan. After all the preseason hoopla about him, he really hasnt proven himself to me. I think he may lead the NCAA in scoring for rookies, but out of like 25 games so far we have played maybe 5 or 6 opponents worth a shit. Its a little deceiving. I will "eat crow" after the season is done and he lives up to the hype! His jump shot is one of the worst Ive ever seen. Go Tigers!
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 1:48 pm

His drives and under the basket moves are sick sick sick. I don't care who he's playing. He can take it to three dudes. Not many teams in Div I can even play a lick of defense, whether they are UConn or Cornell, so I remain impressed. I would like him to be more challenged of course, but I still think he could find ways to score.
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I gotta go with Colin. I am still not impressed with Tyreke. I think that moving him to the point was a seriously fantastic move and he has played better since. Rose lived up to all the hype. So Far, Tyreke has been good. One more year, and he will be a star.
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 2:42 pm

I agree--he is no Derrick. And he should definitely STAY ONE MORE YEAR. Next year's class plus some experience on point? WHEEEEEEE!
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 3:13 pm

No hes no Derrick at all, but you woulda thought preseason he was. He was more highly touted than Derrick was coming in and was the Mcdonalds All American game MVP man. Had his on entourage of his brothers in fact, one of which the U of M hired to be his strength coach. He was the best recruit in the country man...gonna go pro after 1 year man!! Hey Joe...dont know if you get the Conf. USA games up your way, but you should seen him slicin and dicin thru the lane last night on those poor SMU dolts from Senegal! Ill tell ya what! The proof will be in the pudding and I wish the Tigers the best! I just think of the Big East and the conference games those teams have to play week in and week out. Makes Conference USA look like a church recreational league!
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 3:31 pm

It wasn't like we didn't wish at one time to get into that conference...even Cal was pissssssed. But whatcha gonna do? Disband the team. Play on, playa.
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 3:32 pm

And this just goes to show that all that junior hs/hs recruiting McDonalds all american BULLSHIT is so fucking unpredictable.
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 4:22 pm

I know, I know on the conference shit. Just dosent play into our favor come March at all! Yeah all that preseason shit is overhyped. Anyway...next up UTEP!
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Hey--the games are still fun as hell with the $8 beer and cute halftime shenanigans! Seriously!
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 5:52 pm

UTEP is gonna be a crazy game! Tony Barbee always brings it. Remember they came really close in their home game last year? I remember the Tigers' shooting was awful.

I can't wait for this game.
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 2:08 pm

I think Tyreke's in a tough spot. He's not good enough (yet) to go in the lottery, yet he's clearly got lottery talent (eventually). I could see the Grizz picking him at 26th if he's there. So he'd make about 3 million over 3 years at that slot, but if he waited a year he could make 3-4 million per year. I know, I know, cry me a river - millions to play hoops...

The thing is, if he waits a year, he could get overshadowed by all these studs coming in for Cal next year...
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 5:08 pm

I know, I know on the conference shit. Just dosent play into our favor come March at all!

Yeah, they did so bad in the tournament last year. Probably because of the softest schedule in the softest conference in the country.

Dude, Tyreke is coming around. The guy has elevated his game, especially since becoming point and being able to run the team. Since that has happened, they've been playing just as good as anybody in the country. What the hell has he not done. He has a lot to do with why they're ranked 5th in the nation. Show me one other team this year that fell out of the polls and has climbed their way back to the top like we have.

He's making everybody else around him better. That's about 80% of his job. But i could be wrong about all of this. What do i know?
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah, they did so bad in the tournament last year. Probably because of the softest schedule in the softest conference in the country.

That is what I'm saying. Yeah, we pulled the old Memphis choke (and our coach didn't help matters) at the worst possible time, but we slaughtered teams that some of the pundits believed would make mincemeat of us. And who is to say it can't happen again?
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Tyreke..stinkin it up today! Doziers half asleep and Taggart cant hit a 5 footer. Really ugly first half!
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Now thats steppin it up. Tyreke turned that shit on in the second half! Mad props to Tyreke!
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm with you, colin.

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Well, maybe forget what I said about Tyreke not making the lottery - if he keeps playing like that he's gonna get PAID!

Did any of y'all catch the other frosh Warren from Oklahoma? That kid can freakin' shoot...
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Whoops, that last post was not Buck, who'd be mortified to post anything about sports and probably has no idea who Tyreke Evans is... just me, on our public computah...
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 11:22 pm

I felt so bad cos I watched the Texas/OU game and totally laughed at Blake Griffin sitting on the bench with cotton stuffed up his nose looking all dazed and shit and kept calling him Cro-Magnon Man, and then it turned out he has a concussion. I'm a horrible person.

Go Tigers! That was a hard-fought win. They need more of these if they're gonna go far in the tournament. Fingers = crossed for Thursday night. That's gonna be a fucking spectacle.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 10:34 am

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 11:29 am

My fingers are crossed for lots of crowd shots. Oh, and for Cal to start Pierre Niles.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 11:55 am

WE BEAT MEMPIS, NOT OUR GIRLS!
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 1:58 pm

DOZIER'S GIRLFRIEND
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 9:09 pm

For what it's worth on the "but we don't play anyone" topic...

here are some of the top-ranked teams, and their strength of schedule rating...i'd say we're doing okay, given the cards we're dealt.

Oklahoma (30)
UConn (37)

Memphis (44)

Arizona State (49)
Wake Forest (55)
Missouri (66)
Marquette (88)
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 10:39 pm

I want to go down to Birmingham for the game Thursday and hold up a sign saying: "We beat UAB like we beat our girls"
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 8:46 am

Colin, I thinkg the Tiger game is on ESPN 2 tonight, so I get to watch. I am pumped for a bloodbath.
The game from Saturday was preempted by some shitty team from up this way. I was hungover when I turned the game on, so when I realized it wasn't memphis I turned off the tv and cussed my life some more.

But, tonight, GAME ON!!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 8:53 am

Thursday, game on!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:28 am

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:28 am

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 9:50 am | Edited by: saispas

This comment from "UAB Fan" is HYSTERICAL (we can obviously spell, then "before you RIGHT an article"):

First of all, the gentleman in orange is wearing that for a reason. Because of the overwhelming assault charges that the Memphis players have against them, he is dressed like an inmate. Secondly, the sign is not spelled correctly on purpose. The sign is meant to be poking fun at Memphis. We are a Medical University, we can obviously spell. Perhaps you should do your research before you right an article. When you don’t, it makes you look ignorant.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:52 am

The game thursday night is gonna be KILLER!!!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:59 am

wow. I am a putz.

THURSDAY!!! GAME ON!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

I see UAB getting overhyped like UTEP did. If the Tigers can withstand that initial barrage, they should be ok...
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 12:59 pm

Definitely--the Tigers seem to be wearing teams down early in the second half, so if they keep their cool, all should be well. To show how NOT to act, they should show the video of that kid on Indiana (Devan Dumes) who kept throwing crazy violent elbows out of frustration at the Indiana-Michigan State game a couple of weeks back...it was so embarrassing. He was thrown out of the game and suspended.
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 2:26 pm

To show how NOT to act, they should show the video of that kid on Indiana (Devan Dumes) who kept throwing crazy violent elbows out of frustration at the Indiana-Michigan State game a couple of weeks back

or show the dude from houston who stepped on the player's neck when he was on the floor. classy.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 11:52 am

Who is the player to Dozier's left in the slap photo who is proudly displaying his MEMPHIS jersey to the crowd. Simple, yet so effective.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm | Edited by: Joe Buddha

This was last year, right? If so, the only person taller than Dozier would have been Taggart I would imagine. That is who my guess would be.

And, I would like to thank Pitt for losing to Providence. #2 or #3 on Monday if we win tomorrow!!!!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 1:52 pm

And, I would like to thank Pitt for losing to Providence. #2 or #3 on Monday if we win tomorrow!!!!

Knowing the AP, even if we win and everyone else loses, they will find a way to tick us up, MAYBE to #4.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 4:38 pm

I would personally rather them not be ranked in the top 3 going into March. Too much unecessary additional pressure to try and live up to.
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 4:47 pm

True, true.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Who is the player to Dozier's left in the slap photo who is proudly displaying his MEMPHIS jersey to the crowd. Simple, yet so effective.

Yep, that's Shawn Taggart for sure. He did it after the UT game too.

It's funny to read all the UAB newspaper comments and message boards and whatnot. They really think this is some kind of a rivalry, whereas Memphis fans never thought twice that team/school until they almost hit our coach in the head with a whiskey bottle, spit on our players, mocked domestic abuse in order to hassle our team, et cetera.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

So far a decent game with neither team playing their best, esp. us. If we just play slightly better in the second, we'll beat them.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Ah yes. Our defense kills again. Sorry "Medical University" with your can't hack it at Indiana coach.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Good game though. UAB is better than most of the teams in the SEC, in all fairness. If they were in one of the big 6 they'd be going to the tournament almost for sure.
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm | Edited by: saispas

Yep and we shut their best player completely down , 0 for 17. GO TIGERS! The block is hot over here, with the Colonial Acres alum. Never heard it so crunk on Alrose.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Great win for the Tigers...

I hope Tyreke gets these stinkers out of his system, though. Another one of these after the first round in the tourney and we're goin' home...
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 7:22 pm

I don't know how you can say that, as several others obviously stepped up last night when Tyreke tanked. No way we're one and done...I just don't see it.
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 11:30 am

I agree, there's no way we're one and done. I said AFTER the first round...

This is a weird year, there's no dominant team(s). I think anybody in the top 10 has a realistic shot at the whole enchilada - I also think all of 'em are beatable, including the Tigers. So Tyreke's gonna have to play up to his potential, unless we're gonna hang our hats on Doneal Mack (who's been awesome lately, btw)...
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 3:02 pm

I agree, there's no way we're one and done. I said AFTER the first round...

Right, gotcha.
I know what you're saying about the no dominance thing, and I hope this is a good thing for us. We got a lot of players who've been there before, and I take that as a real positive. I'm realistically (I think) looking at the Elite Eight, at least.
That said, I'd rather Tyreke get this out of his system right now. He had another pretty off day today. This might be good, though, especially in giving him an ego check. I REALLY don't want him going into the tournament showing some of the same showboating, ball hogging propensities that he's shown he's capable of in the past.
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 10:14 pm

Jugs said it best! Its a weird year and anything past the first round of the tournament will be both suprising and exciting for me!
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 3:19 pm

Maybe the best can be said about the Tigers is they are so balanced - every night it's a different guy...

Pretty basic observation, but I think it's gonna come down to 3-pointers for us in the tourney - teams are gonna put 5 guys in the lane and dare us to shoot. If we can hit over 40% in the tourney, we should be cuttin' down some nets...
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 3:20 pm

ARRRGH! I keep postin' as Buck - my apologies to all involved...
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 2:23 pm

Tigers still 5th in AP; 3rd in Coaches poll...
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 4:08 pm

That is fine by me--keep the pressure reasonable.
Posted: Mar 3, 2009 8:35 am

That is insane. How did they not move up in the AP poll?
Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®