Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / BBQ Shop - Anybody Else Think It Sucks?
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Last time I was there a couple of months ago the service was bad and the bathroom was full of mostly dead roaches. Today since Central BBQ is still closed, I thought I\'d try again and it took way too long to get just a drink and then my food order was wrong (and the ribs weren\'t any good). Seems like since the owners son took over the place has really went downhill. They don\'t seem to give a shit anymore.
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 10:01 pm

sandwich is consistent large pork on Texas toast is great . If you went to central first you are a lost cause ...
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 11:02 am

Due to proximity, we usually grab to go from Neely's on Mt Moriah...always pretty good....last two times terrible. Last night we threw away 2 large pork sandwiches...all gristle and fat.
They need to concentrate on the restaurant instead of the tv show.
Last time for us.
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 12:06 pm

So I haven't lived in Mempho in a decade and it sucked then. The best shoulder in my opinion back then was John Wills on Sanderlin,2. The Commisary in Germantown. The best ribs , Rendavouz
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 12:22 pm

Every single time I've gotten food from the Commissary it had hair in it. And I'm talking like six times or so. Not a fan at all.
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 12:42 pm

I always forget about that Neely's on Mt. Moriah -- I think it's because of the Leonard's right around the corner on Fox Plaza. Much better option.

As far as the original post, I've always had good experiences at BBQ Shop - food is always great, and the service has always ranged from good to "didn't piss me off". But I do have lower expectations at BBQ restaurants when it comes to service -- hell, you're lucky to even GET table service at a BBQ joint. (And please tell me that you're not using Central as the gold standard for bbq service?!?!)
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 1:29 pm

man i love the bbq shop. it's amazing to live right behind it now! i think i'm going to have to go there now.
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 2:55 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Tom's on Getwell is a working man's BBQ joint .Mostly truckers and people who toil in the surrounding industrial parks. It was started by a little foreign(Greek mebbe?) man who has since passed away (the original Tom). It is now run by some Ay-rab dudes who have actually improved the quality of the food. The pork chop sammich is awesome.
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 5:18 pm

yes, way overrated
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 7:32 pm

If you went to central first you are a lost cause

For real.
Fucking hippie.
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Just ate a jumbo pork sammich on texas toast cuz this thread made me hungry. it was like 3 inches thick. pretty good! The hot sauce is really fiery ...
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 11:27 am

Haven't been in a while but have only had good food at the BBQ Shop...
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 1:48 pm

BBQ shop is the shit. The owner's son's name is Eric and he's a class act. What memphis restaurant doesn't have roaches?
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm with the 'O' & Quinn, we even had our wedding meal there...
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Those Texas Toast sandwiches are the shit. Eric is awesome. I love the place.
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 10:50 pm

What memphis restaurant doesn't have roaches?

what restaurant doesn't have roaches? they all do!

i've never had a bad meal at the BBQ shop - i stick to one thing, tho - the pork sandwich
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 8:29 am

rendezvous honestly has some of the worst ribs in memphis - their dry rub is the best, though.

bbq shop has never disappointed me, but i've never branched out past the sandwich on texas toast, either.
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 8:35 am

i like their dry ribs better than anyone else's in Memphis. Usually get the sandwich though. Debate whether you get more meat on the bun over the texas toast. also the sausage/bologna/cheese platter is the best in town.
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 9:44 am

Yeah man...Bbq Shop is the offspring of some real deal Q from back in the day. Eric's grandparents owned a joint called Brady and Lil's back in the day which is the same recipe they use now. I think their sandwich is among the best in town and their Dancing Pigs hot bbq sauce is really the only one that has any kind of true heat. I also like their bbq spaghetti and have been known to get the half & half(half pork half spaghetti). Eric's about as personable as they come and does a pretty good job or unning the joint. Top 3 in town for sure along wih Cozy Corner and Paynes. Rendezvous is some seriously nasty, dried out ass bullshit! Never have understood all the hype.
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 11:49 am

Go to Tom's. I used to work down the street from there and we would make runs about once a week. The BBQ Baloney was my downfall. The ribs are ok, but the BBQ sandwich is worth checking out.
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 1:12 pm

SPAGPORK PLATES MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 3:24 pm | Edited by: BigKegShandy

the sausage/bologna/cheese platter is the best in town.

Aaargh, it's torture, TORTURE, I tell you! Two weeks to go!

Dancing Pigs hot bbq sauce is really the only one that has any kind of true heat

True, and if you take the risk of packing it, it works equally well 4,000 miles away! Props to the request-only hot sauce at Cozy Corner, but the hot Dancin' Pigs is some really sublime shit. It's kinda like an oral version of Rufus Thomas' "Greasy Spoon"! Does a Steve Cropper on yer tastebuds, fer sure!
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 4:12 pm | Edited by: Quinn

Liquid Gold. The BBQ shops slaw is delish as well and I'm not much for the slaw.
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Rendezvous is some seriously nasty, dried out ass bullshit! Never have understood all the hype.

Fun for tourists, and my Aunt Kay.
Also, I do like their lamb riblets...or whatever they're called. But, I'm a lamb fiend.

I'm a Cozy Corner girl through and through, but didn't know BBQ shop was Brady and Lil's. I'll be checking it out again...it's been several years since I've been because I'm a Cozy Corner girl through and through.
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Is it just me or has Cozy Corner been hit-or-miss lately?
Posted: Dec 18, 2008 3:32 pm

BBQ Shop is the greatest...ever
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 12:09 pm

Is it just me or has Cozy Corner been hit-or-miss lately?

It is just you.
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Welcome home pal
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 3:55 pm

i've no quarrel with bbq shop, but if i have friends/family in town and i want to show off some Q, it's either Cozy Corner or Payne's.
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 2:13 pm

Rendezvous is some seriously nasty, dried out ass bullshit! Never have understood all the hype.

It reminds me of Teriyaki Jerky. Not into it.
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 8:27 am

Teriyaki Jerky is awesome...just not when you want BBQ ribs.
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 2:32 pm

To the dude about the roaches, hey... at least they were dead. Be thankful.

The BBQ Shop people are very nice, and the food has always been top notch in my book, Central is good too, and of course Interstate Barbecue is a must.
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 2:32 pm

I also agree that Rendezvous is 'seriously nasty, dried out ass bullshit'... yeah...
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 4:02 pm

My buddy gave me 2 bottles of BBQ sauce. I miss the bbq. Great sandwich, ribs were okay.
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 5:51 pm

mmmmm dancin pigs bbq sauce is gooood. me likey.
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 12:19 am

yeah you right!
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 6:59 pm

I just saw a pic of Golightly on the bar at bbq shop.
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 12:05 pm

I just saw a pic of Golightly on the bar at bbq shop.

I think the pic is of Rick Camp but...
that was a Memphis Magazine article about THE CRIME...back when we was almost... sort of...popular.
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Ok, wasn't sure. There's some great pictures on that bar. The one of Cybil Sheppard wearing huge 80s glasses is a personal fave.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®