Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / There's something large in my attic
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 12:38 pm

And I don't know what it is! I'm scared!
Can a racoon sound like it's walking around?
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:01 pm

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:02 pm

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:06 pm

My grandmother had raccoons in her attic at one point, so it's definitely possible.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks, donkey. Especially for the second link.
My neighbor came over and walked around up in there. We didn't see anything except some oldish looking rat turds.
If that was a rat it was the biggest one I've ever heard.
Weird!

(I had a racoon come down the chimney one time, but a little welded wire fixed that right up after we chased him out of the house.)
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:17 pm

There are such thing as tree rats and we do have them here in Memphis. They climb trees and live in attics and in the rooflines. Unless you see a hole big enough for a raccoon to ge into, it probably is a tree rat.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:25 pm

I've lived in this house for a really long time, and have never ever heard a rat that sounded like that. I know what they sound like in the walls. This sounded like someone was walking around...really walking around.

We couldn't find any large holes, and the noise is completely gone now...but it went on for a good thirty or 45 minutes.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:30 pm

Don't take this the wrong way but do you think it may be time to get some help with your drinking problem?
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:33 pm

I never drink before 3 p.m.!
Not alcohol related at all...but may be ghost related. However, I thought he left years ago.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:35 pm

That happened to us one time when I was a kid...Dad went up there thinking someone had broken into the house...but as he was walking through the door after entering the attic....there on the door knob....was.....A BLOODY HOOK!
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:36 pm

and the next day i woke up in a bath tub full of ice and MY KIDNEY WAS GONE!!!
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:40 pm

Okay, Golightly...thanks a damned lot.
It's bad enough I was thinking there were rodents in the attic...now I've got to worry about the BLOODY HOOK! Jeesh!
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 2:59 pm

Alisa, I just traced Golightly's posts and they are coming from INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:17 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:19 pm

I never drink before 3 p.m.!

I guess it's always 5 o'clock somewhere...
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:29 pm

Alisa, I just traced Golightly's posts and they are coming from INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.

I'll be thinking of both you guys are 3 a.m. Not good thoughts, either!
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:48 pm

alisa, i lived in a house once and there was a racoon in our attic. and i think she was preggers cause i could hear was seemed to be her belly sliding across the floor when she walked across the attic. they put up some type of metal around the tops of the tree trunks around the house to prevent them from getting in after that..

in other related news, i was chased out of a cleaning gig at local business (not a restaraunt) saturday by what sounded like either the biggest rat i've ever been in the room with, or a mom and her babies. i never saw it/them, but i heard it rumbling and around AND SQUEAKING and it freaked me out so bad i ditched the gig. i'm deathly afraid. it's so stupid.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:56 pm

i'm deathly afraid. it's so stupid.

I can't even look at a rat when it's dead I'm so scared of them. I can barely even look at a rat TURD. Yeah, Britney, it makes me feel pretty stupid too, but I can't help it.
That site that Donkey sent me to was informative at first, but I started poking around on it and there are extremely graphic pictures of rat infestation and dead rats. I almost passed out.
So yeah, I'm adding you in there Donkey with Golightly and dirtywhite.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:59 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

It's the ghost of Rufus Thomas doing the other worldly funky chicken in his spectral hot pants and ectoplasmic platform boots -all the while mournfully wailing :"Weeeeeeeeee's gwine to go git some icceee creeeeaam!"
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 4:02 pm

oh my god
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 8:45 pm

There's something stomping around in my attic too, but no sign of anything. I swear it sounded like a person walking around. Jerry heard it too. I've since decided it's a poltergeist.

The acoustics of this house are weird also. I think that when the cat jumps onto the dryer or the dogs are prancing around, it kinds of reverberates and makes it sound like someone's walking around.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 8:58 pm

There's something stomping around in my attic too, but no sign of anything. I swear it sounded like a person walking around

Well, thank you Miss Faye.
I've caught tons of shit about this today, and not just on this board!
The boys threw this up in my face for HOURS tonight about just how crazy I REALLY am.
But that's exactly what it sounded like!

When I first moved in I used to hear old timey radio or TV late at night. I don't know if it was next door or what...
It went away after I'd lived here a year or so.
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 11:30 pm

Posted: Dec 2, 2008 8:55 am

The boys threw this up in my face for HOURS tonight about just how crazy I REALLY am.

That's what I was trying to say but in a nice way.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 9:45 am

Three boys, all six years apart...yep...I'd call that a legitimate reason to be a little crazy (or even really crazy). Don't know why they can't understand this!

But there WAS something large in my attic yesterday.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 9:50 am

Alisa...serious now...do you have one of those whirlygig vents on your roof?
I know mine gets really noisy on windy days and it sounds like someone is playing drums in my attic.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 10:51 am

I do have one of those, but it's in the back of the house on the opposite side of where the noise was coming from.
I have old pecan tree branches over my roof...could have possibly been that.
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 11:09 am

well my bubbala Bazooka Joseph is half mexican. He could go up there ,and catch that rat for you for just a couple of pesos! don't be shy w/ my bubby either he loves goiyum! OI VEY!
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 3:59 pm

I thought something was running around in my attic for a week. Lying in bed at night, I kept hearing thumps, then these 4 or 5 second rumbles; sounded like something running across the floor up there. Turned out to be pods from the overhanging magnolia falling on the roof and rolling off. I felt like a idgit.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®