Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Presenting Pierre Henderson-Niles
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Lost 50 pounds, and apparently borrowed CDR's hyphen.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/18/banner-night/

Pierre is throwing down dunks?? Can't WAIT for this season to get started!
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 9:42 am

i went to memphis madness friday night, and that boy looks scary.

he's dropped the weight, AND is sportin' a mohawk!
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 11:45 am

yeah, i went too and saw him and damn, he's gonna be a fuckin pain in the ass this year for defense. or at least i hope so. i expect good things.
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 5:47 pm

The link above led me to this story. It made me cry!
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/18/like-old-times/

CDR!!!!!
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 6:02 pm

elle, have you talked to Robin?
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 4:21 pm

yeah! she actually went to go see cdr play the other day against the celtics and after the game, she held up her memphis shirt and he smiled at her. :)

i about teared up when they played all the footage from last year at memphis madness. it was awesome.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 8:51 am

Check out the Tigers "Full Court Press" video series that just started on Yahoo Sports:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/fullcourtpress?vid=10319793

Good stuff!
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 9:21 am

i just watched that....the first one is hard to get through. i was at the airport that day, & teared up all over again watching it!

the next two are hilarious, though. cal asking witherspoon if he puts his shoes on his furniture at home, or just in his office...classic.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 9:48 am

i was at the airport that day, & teared up all over again watching it!

me too.
Great series, though. I was unaware that Pierre still has 20 lbs. to go before he can suit up.

elle, I bet Robin was so excited. Say hey to her for me.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:03 am

WE SAW PIERRE AT THE MOVIES LAST NIGHT!!!

He got a hot dog.

As D. Dunlap said, "Coach, gotta get my protein."

He was so slimmed down (relatively) that I had to do a double take to make sure it was he.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 5:25 pm

http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=12154

Pierre Niles <3s Tofurkey?

(hi!)
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Oh fercrissakes.

I saw him tonight on the TV, and he was sort of a presence, though I'd like to see him twenty more pounds down.

But he played hard, and what the hell do I know. I do know I'm not holding my breath about him going vegan.

Hey, and, Coach Cal's put on some serious poundage.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm

That hot dog looked like a mini slim jim in his mitt. Even if he just keeps the 50 lbs off, he will be a presence. He moves so much easier and he'll get more touches; I like the Taggart/Henderson-Niles front court.

Who is our point? Anderson?

We have lots of talent ,but some issues to work out--it is exciting though!
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I watched the whole game going "who's our point"? I think it's Anderson, and that seemed to be what the commentators were saying. Though, I'd feel better with a real point. Apparently the Henry guy that's injured is a real point.
Dozier kind of tore it up tonight. I feel good about Anderson/Dozier.

Doneal Mack DELIVERED!

And, it's weird to hear "Pierre Henderson-Niles".
He was looking pretty intimidating, though.

All in all, another true Tiger game. They look like they're totally fucking up, they hunker down, then they win looking all bad ass.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Everything's looking sloppy to me thus far. 4 turnovers in the first what, minute and 4 seconds? Granted, I've only seen 1.5 games (I fell asleep at 1 AM during the UMass game, wtf)- but I'm just not all that impressed. Maybe I'm spoiled from last year, though.

I know they're not gonna be what they were last year. But then again, who knows? Remember last year at this time when we were all like, what the fuck is the big deal about this Derrick Rose kid and USC almost beat them with that weird triangle + 2 zone defense? And then it turned out to be arguably the greatest year in Tigers history.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Also, remind me to tell yall my CDR story sometime, cos it's all sincerely fuckin' magical and shit.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Definitely tell it. Tigers are still scrappy and can wear the other team out. That may save our ass.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Does Memphis Comcast get ESPNU???
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 6:34 pm

No, I even called Comcast and asked.
I'm listening on AM600 right now. Tipoff's fixin to happen.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 7:57 pm | Edited by: saispas

Donneal is THE MACK.

(and please don't rain on my parade, "Live by the three, die by the three" people)
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 9:32 am

Dude has not lost any fucking weight. He looks the same and still seems out of shape. He also has cinder blocks for hands. Pierre sucks!
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:43 am

He has definitely lost weight. Just not enough. I would imagine it is gonna take him awhile to get a little grace with shots after spending the last four years earthbound. I am not giving up on the guy!
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Yeah, I would agree that he's lost weight. He just looks about the same because he's gotten way more muscular. If he can just get a little speedier, he could be a pretty decent defensive threat. I don't think I'll ever understand why he chose basketball instead of football.

Srsly, Doneal is ON! Who lit a match under his ass???

Ok, my CDR story: I went to a preseason Celtics/Nets game at the Garden with 2 friends solely to see CDR. It was the night after Midnight Madness at Memphis, so I thought I might not get to see him. I went anyway, though. I made a CDR sign and everything! About halfway through the first quarter my friend's grandmother died, so my friends had to leave and I had to sit there all alone with a bunch of crazy Celtics fans. Every time CDR did something awesome, which was fairly often, I couldn't help but stand up and start cheering. Then some townies from Southie would tell me to "go back to Jehhhsey" and I'd get all embarrassed.

At the end of the game I ran down to the tunnel where the Nets run back to their dressing rooms. I didn't get past the outgoing crowd until they'd almost all gone back in, so I didn't think I'd get to see him. But lo and behold, he was way at the back of the line with the coaching staff! So I stood behind the partition next to the top of the wall, yelled "Hey, CDR!", and held out my Memphis hoodie from my chest. He looked up, seemed confused, but then saw my hoodie and smiled the hugest, most sincere smile you could ever imagine anyone smiling. Then I almost burst into tears, which was weird but whatever. I just hope he knew I came to that game and braved getting beat down by crazy Celtics fans solely to see him play.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Remember that interview with him someone (you?) posted about how Memphis was his forever second home? Or maybe it was Dorsey who said that? Whatever, who cares? You know both of em think it.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Then I almost burst into tears, which was weird but whatever.

As I did when reading this, and I knew some of the story!
CDR...how do I love thee?!

I can tell that Pierre has lost some weight, and the commentators were going on last night about how he was getting some vertical jump in. But, I can't tell he's lost THAT much weight. Still, however much it shows some committment.

I had to listen to the game last night on the radio, and that's hard. Before the game, Coach Cal was talking about he was going to play all of them consistently until someone stepped up. Not even Cal could had any idea of who is going to step up!
I guess that's not saying much for the team, but at least he's not putting his eggs in a basket.
He also said that DRose called him yesterday about Tyreke. And was saying "You gotta remember, coach, that in November we couldn't hit anything, and I felt a lot of pressure about the way things were going down." Cal told him to call Tyreke and tell him that. He said "I don't know if he did, but...." in his Coach Cal way.

All in all, I'm fairly happy about what I've seen in the last couple of days. People have to remember how green this team is, really. At the very least, it looks to me like they're coming to play. And that's good in November considering the HUGE shadow this team is under.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 7:06 pm

And was saying "You gotta remember, coach, that in November we couldn't hit anything, and I felt a lot of pressure about the way things were going down."

Amen. That's exactly what I've been thinking. I think it's really sweet that DRose called him, too! I know CDR and Joey are super connected to Memphis cos they were here for so long, but I wonder about Derrick. I'm glad he's still paying attention. There's a great article about him in Sports Illustrated this week.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 8:56 pm

I can really tell he's lost weight. I mean, he is still overweight, but I mean, he was a whale before. I mean, we would laugh at him in a really cruel way. He was a complete letdown and buster. I am not seeing that at all now. He can actually have playing time and not be at risk of having complete coronary malfunction if in for longer than 1 minute when we are winning by 20.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 9:05 pm

You gotta love that effort.

Went to see the game at Alex's. God I hate that place. Owner douche wouldn't serve me... at 8pm. But they did have the game on one of their ridiculous huge projection tvs. Richwad & Karen were hanging out. We watched a bit of the Grizzlies lose, UT barely beat MTSU, and split.

I think they were showing it at the Hi Tone as well, for future reference.

Robin, love your CDR story. Thanks.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 9:07 pm

Shit, I mean, how many I mean's can I cram into a sentence. Gotta love that effort!!!
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 9:49 pm

I think they were showing it at the Hi Tone as well, for future reference.

Well known I think this is THE place to watch the games!
But, I was unclear as to whether they have ESPNU. Apparently, it's not carried by comcast here.
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Only three, saispas. GET TO WORK! GETTERDONE!
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:00 pm

I think maybe ESPNU is a satellite-only station? My mom has DirecTV and gets it, but I have Comcast and can't even find it on the listed stations. AND I have this crazy sports package where I get like soccer and hockey channels for an extra 8 bucks or so a month.
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 12:43 pm

We had ESPNU on Portland Comcast and then on Brighthouse in Florida. The woman who answered the phone the other night barked in my ear that they "MAY get it in Early 2009". I think that was just buying some more time; a little line from her manager at the call center.
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 6:34 pm

GO TIGERS!!!!
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 8:59 pm

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING???

ARE THEY GOING TO GET BEAT BY XAVIER???
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Uh, yeah.

That was hideous.
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 9:03 pm

I could only watch it play by play on the computer.

58 pts???

Either they played like shit or Xavier just shut them down completely.

Which one is it?
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm

The former. Xavier played about as good as the Tigers did, but they made their important shots. We just could not find our footing, missed basically all important shots and looked all jangly and fucked up the entire time.
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 9:19 pm

15-30 free throws. 32 % field goals. Five assists. FIVE. Need a point guard. Soon.
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah, there is no leadership either. Start working with Kemp again. That was what he played Freshman year.
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 10:26 pm

Start working with Kemp again. That was what he played Freshman year.

Or not, cos he has totally sucked so far this year. I think they're just gonna have to suck it up and wait it out til Tyreke gets into his rhythm and can try to do it.

High point of the game- Wesley Witherspoon going in for the leftie dunk, then sitting on the bench and clutching his chest like Fred Sanford callin' for Elizabeth. That dude is hilarious. He is quickly becoming my favorite Tiger.

Also, can we deal with poor Pierre's accidental splits??? That was so scary!! My maternal instinct kicked in and worried about his ass the whole game til he came back!!!
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 11:07 pm

We thought Pierre was a goner too... that trio of clowns calling the game on ESPN2 were possibly the worst team of announcers I can remember this side of a public access high school game. Never heard a word about Pierre after he limped off to the locker room. Never heard who was in foul trouble and who wasn't. Almost never heard who was coming in and who was sitting down. Hardly any stats on the screen, from start to finish. And precious little actual playcalling -- instead, it was just them rambling on about the coaches, other teams, inside jokes, etc etc. If that's typical for ESPN-U, I don't want it.

Having gotten that off my chest, yeah, the Tigers played like crap tonight. Better now than in January, I guess, but they definitely gots some learning and growing to do. And they do seem kind of rudderless without a strong leader or a true point guard.

Couple that with the Titans' first loss, and what should have been a great sports-on-TV day really kind of sucked!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:31 am | Edited by: robin

that trio of clowns calling the game on ESPN2 were possibly the worst team of announcers I can remember this side of a public access high school game

AMEN. That was one of the most frustrating aspects of the whole game. they were awful.

ESPN has an article about the game up. It's pretty pat- the free throws did them in, Xavier is underrated as hell (sound familiar, Tigers fans?), Cal made Tyreke cry, blah blah blah. But there is this odd nugget that smacks of scary, terrifying desperation:

Who, though, is Memphis? John Calipari isn't sure. He's already ready to make one wholesale change. He's going to move senior Antonio Anderson off the ball and turn the point-guard duties over to rookie Wesley Witherspoon.

I love this kid but..... WTF?????

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=37 22186
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:21 am

Tyreke is no fucking Derek Rose thats for sure. The kid has an ego and came into the season thinking hes the ext big thing, along with his brothers in tow singing his praises. He has shown nothing to me at all and has the ugliest, bullshit ass fallaway jumper Ive ever seen. Im afraid this is gonna be one long season for the Tigers. Sure, its only November and Xavier is no slouchy team, but the Tigers just look frantic and very immature.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:34 am

Tyreke is no fucking Derek Rose thats for sure.

definitely not. all last night i kept yelling for him to PASS the ball! dozier finally gets a little hot, and the next time down, tyreke throws up that crap shot? ugh.

tyreke isn't SUPPOSED to be the next derrick, though. we were so spoiled last year, we have to remember that. spoon is my new favorite this year, though - the kid screws up, sure, but he's got heart.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:52 am

yeah i like witherspoon a lot. he is young so he goofs up, but he does have heart, and that's what makes him so likable. he's a tiger! evans will probably try to jet next season, but it may be for the better if he can't play for a *team*.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:29 pm

right now evans is reminding me of darius washington...and that ain't a good thing.

but it's early, and derrick had some serious problems settling in at the beginning of last year - he needs a little more time before i'm ready to completely write him off.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:42 pm

right now evans is reminding me of darius washington...and that ain't a good thing.

Amen. But at least D-Wash was a better-than-mediocre point guard.

but it's early, and derrick had some serious problems settling in at the beginning of last year - he needs a little more time before i'm ready to completely write him off.

I hear you on this, but it's their attitudes that are so different to me. I don't know what it's like off the court, but on the court Tyreke is so selfish whereas at this time last year Derrick couldn't wait to get rid of the ball. How many times last night did Tyreke take a stupid shot with like 25 seconds left on the shot clock? I hope Cal whooped his ass into shape last night. Shit like that is gonna be the Tigers' (and his) downfall.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Im not writing anyone off, but I saw several little bios deals on Tyreke before the season started about he and his brothers and all this shit. Sbout he was the "real deal"...and I just dont see a glimmer of that. Hope Im wrong, but has the ugliest jump shot I have ever seen and I saw him dribble the ball off his foot at least 3 times last night. Witherspoon does look good and the Tigers still...still cannot make free throws.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 4:51 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

I don't know what it's like off the court, but on the court Tyreke is so selfish whereas at this time last year Derrick couldn't wait to get rid of the ball.

i agree. tyreke is still in that "it's me or no one" high school mindset, and i think cal's about to take him down a couple of notches by making WW the point and making tyreke & d-mack fight it out for the other starting position.

i screamed at the tv half the night for tyreke to pass the ball, but we can't compare tyreke to derrick. it's not fair to tyreke...he's good, sure, but there simply won't be another derrick (as far as the whole package goes - good attitude, skills, unselfish play out of the box) for a long, long time.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:46 pm

But did y'all see that SICK dribble confusion and Drive at the baseline he did at the end of the game outta nowhere? I was like "Whassat?!?" Evans is not a true point anyway; not his game. I too love me some Wes!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, bring Evans off the bench til he learns to play with others...

Gotta love the D, though. As bad as they played, the defense kept 'em in it til the last minute. I think this loss might end up being a good thing. This team doesn't need a crazy unbeaten streak to defend. Better to get the wake-up call now, rather than March...
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Oh yeah, Witherspoon is something else. Seeing him live, you see how freakin' long and athletic he is - mofo covers some ground!
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Maybe he figures if he puts WW on the point now, he'll be able to do it next year? I'm trying to figure out Cal's line of thinking right now. I guess he's realizing that Willie Kemp is playing so horribly, Tyreke can't run shit, you can't just rely on respect and general leadership in Tone, and Doneal isn't reliable. So WW is his... fifth choice? Oh, Lordie.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 8:24 pm

They are gonna have to wing it. Which is really the norm for this team most of the time, if you consider it. D Rose was a once in awhile type of guy. Like once in every 15 years type and even he had to wait til late January to figure out how to fit in. So, let's just go with the ride and hope Cal can figure out how to work the chess game this year. I need to see more games to really comment.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 8:26 pm

They are gonna have to wing it.

Yeah. I am trying to get some perspective. Like, we're spoiled as fuck and we need to deal with it. Remember 3 years ago when we lost to Duke by 3 points and it was one of the most magical things that ever happened, and we knew something big was on the horizon? It's pretty humbling now.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Memphis is now 17th in the country, right after Georgetown.
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah. I am trying to get some perspective. Like, we're spoiled as fuck and we need to deal with it.

Precisely. It sucks, but if my husband acted the way some of us (including me) do about the Tigers about his squad (Michigan State), it would be ugly to me. He has loved the Spartans through great and pretty mediocre (they never get worse than that).

We have been fans through waaaaaaaay worse times! Go Tigers! Hey, try being a Blazer fan when they had Sheed throwing towels in Sabas' face and Kemp smoking crack off soda cans in the Rose Garden bathroom! I did that!
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 12:31 am

how could you not root for that team?!!! they were the goners of the nba. i will forever love the jailblazers, even though i actually hate half of them.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Trust me, if you lived there during That Time, it was awfully heartbreaking...it all started during the 4th quarter of the final game against the Lakers with that soul-crushing choke and didn't end until Nate McMillan showed up to coach. And by then, you may have been too exhausted to care much.
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 11:58 pm

This just in...

Syracuse 89, Kansas 81.

Just because it feels so good to type that a couple of days after our loss.
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 9:50 am

Syracuse 89, Kansas 81.

i'll take it...especially since syracuse comes to our house in a few weeks. thank goodness we're not playing them there this year! the "6th man" will go a long way to helping our guys against them.
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 1:58 pm

i didn't realize exactly HOW kansas lost that game until just now...from the tigers' board:

KU goes to OT on a 3-pointer...one of the morris twins missing key free-throws...they lose a championship (too bad it's the wrong one) off free-throws.

i don't care how unimportant this tourney championship was, it's nice to see karma being her bitchy self.
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 2:28 pm | Edited by: robin

Yup, and when I turned the game on for a second Kansas was up by like 20.

This week's Sports Illustrated disses Memphis (city of, not just Tigers) in the who's hot/who's not section.

Memphis

One day these turnover-happy Grizzlies may grow, but for now, same old story: last place in the NBA's Southwest Division. And lest the hurt of April's Final Four collapse fade for the NCAA's Tigers, they were dealt a fresh, albeit less painful, wound: being upset by Xavier in a tip-off tournament.

Their "Who's Hot" counterpart = the state of Utah. Burn.
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Check out CBS College Sports channel right night (222 in Memphis) to see UTEP...potentially big conference challenge for us. There are Memphis players on both teams...who transferred to UNLV and UTEP from Memphis also.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®