Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Great early voting location
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 10:00 am

In Southgate Shopping Center (North side of Belz Pkwy) in the corner storefront (home of Pyramide Recovery Center). Fast moving lines, polite people...
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 10:29 am

They usually do early voting on Summer at that church near the Flag Center too. Summer just west of Perkins.
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 10:36 am

Just voted at New Bethel in Gtown on Southern ...long lines but it only took 30 minutes.
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 4:15 pm

I think Gene the old WW2 vet/total drunk who rents next door kicked over our Obama sign and totally ripped the down the street ladies' one out of their yard and threw it in the street. I saw him out there around the time it had to have happened. Asshole.
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 6:07 pm

At least you HAD an Obama sign! I'm still on the wait list! I do have one of those Obama Cohen signs.

So, I've never early voted, and wondering how they handle it. And wondering WHY to early vote. What keeps you from being able to vote twice? Not that I'd ever try that, but I'm very careful this year about any concerned impropriety....especially after all that Mickey Mouse Acorn crap the other side is spewing.

I'd like to avoid long lines, and may be out of town on election night. Still, I love the thrill of voting on election day...
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm

That is the sign we have; I give up on the "Yes we can" volunteer headquarters--no you can't (get me a sign, anyway)!

Early Voting is just like voting proper--they look you up on the rolls, give you one of those cards to put in the machine and a piece of paper to hand to the person who assigns you to a machine that states you are on the rolls and are voting. I think by getting that print out, you commit to your vote that day.
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Berclair Baptist took me 30 minutes at 4:45. I was just inside the building. The line got much longer by 5:15 or so, but was still moving pretty fast.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 8:57 am

Our local poll person answered my question this morning as to how I could make sure my vote was counted if I early voted:

It is exactly the same kind of machine you vote on election day. The machines are not online to a master computer.In other words despite what you might hear online they can not be hacked from the outside. The cartridges are turned in on the last day of early voting just like the ones at the precinct on election night and they are all counted at the same time.You hit cast vote 2 times when you have looked over the summary page. If any votes count then they all do.

I'm going to try Berclair Church of Christ on Summer this morning. I'm excited!
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 12:53 pm

Absolutely awesome, and awe inspiring, voting experience.
There was a long line at Berclair, but they have lots of machines. I was in and out in an hour.

A really great hour, I might add. I stood next to a well dressed black woman who was ten years older than I am, and a well dressed (in a track suit) typical East Memphis matron who was ten years older than she was. The black woman was pretty reserved at first, but then we all started talking and she told an amazing story of being one of 12 kids in Mason, TN working the cotton fields and the gardens on her father's truck farm. She said 8 of the 12 kids had all gotten college degrees. Said her older (by ten years) sister had first gotten into college through the Episcopal church, and wound up going to Buffalo, NY to go to school. After a couple of years of school the diocese wouldn't pay, and she had to pay the money back before she could continue. She stayed in Buffalo, got a job, paid all the money back, and then continued on and finished at the university in Buffalo. Mind you, this was in the 50s.

The nice white lady matron was just boggled by these stories. She asked the woman "what motivated all of you to get out of the cotton fields". The woman started laughing in a nice way and said, "the cotton fields!"
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 2:19 pm | Edited by: indiepop

OH SNAP I voted at Berclair too!!! Long lines but so worth it.

Make sure and check out the "Free Literature" in the hallway. The most informative one was "Evolution and Science", I really learned something. It's on the walls once you get inside.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 2:30 pm

The literature is free you should take as many as you want. I took all of the ones I saw but I bet there's more
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 2:32 pm

What time do the polls open for early voting and when does early voting end? Hey saispas..is Southgate down on 3rd street?
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 3:03 pm

I was too caught up in my conversation with the two women to even see the literature on the walls!

Saturday Voting Hours 10-4
> Next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 10-7
> Last Day of Early Voting is Thursday October 30 10-6p.m.
> Election Day Tuesday November 4, hours are 7-7
> Addresses can be updated at early voting locations with proof of address.

Agri Center (Rotunda Hallway) 777 Walnut Grove Rd., 38120

Anointed Temple Of Praise (Youth Room) 3939 Riverdale Rd., 38141

Baker Community Center 7942 Church St., 38053

Bethel Church 5586 Stage Rd., 38134

Berclair Church of Christ 4536 Summer Ave., 38122

Bishop Byrne High School 1475 E. Shelby Dr., 38116

Collierville Old Town Hall 101 Walnut Street, 38017

Dave Wells Community Center 915 Chelsea Ave., 38107

Glenview Community Center
(Replaces New Salem Church) 1141 S. Barksdale St., 38114

Greater Middle Baptist Church
(Fellowship Hall) 4982 Knight Arnold Rd., 38118

Mississippi Blvd. Pre-School Cafeteria
(Replaces Mississippi Blvd Church Counseling Center) 70 N. Bellevue Blvd. 38104

Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church
(Fellowship Bldg) 3045 Chelsea Ave., 38107

New Bethel Baptist Church - Family Life Center 7786 Poplar Pike, 38138

Pyramid Recovery Center 1833 S. Third St., 38109

Raleigh United Methodist Church 3295 Powers Rd., 38128

Shiloh Baptist Church 3121 Range Line Rd., 38127

Westwood High School 4480 Westmont St., 38109

White Station Church of Christ 1106 Colonial Rd., 38117
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 4:53 pm | Edited by: colin

Voted today at Glenview Community Center at about 11:30 this morning and it took all of about 25 minutes. Gonna be some serious lines come next Tuesday so get on over there do it!
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 2:09 pm

I voted there(Glenview), too, at around eleven. It didn't even take twenty-five minutes. The poll workers are really nice up there, and it's a nice place to stand around and wait.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 2:16 pm

We went back to Glenview today, because Sam had to vote. It took longer at lunch time, but the line moved quickly. The park there is so pretty. I think we'll go back tomorrow.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 2:23 pm

how many times are you gonna vote?
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Memphis allows 3 votes per person. 4 if you're dead.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 8:43 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Voted today at Glenview Community Center

I went by after work and it took TWO HOURS to cast my vote!

Ralph Nader, you better win, mother fucker!

....way up the line from me were these two VERY obese ladies sitting in chairs. Instead of getting up and moving them when the line moved, they just sat and scooted themselves across the gym floor in their seats. It was pretty funny.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 9:43 pm

I just found out today that write-in votes don't count unless the candidate in question has announced himself and turned in some paperwork.

So now I'll be throwing my vote away in an ever more futile gesture than I thought.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 10:19 pm

i went and voted over in marion, arkansas since that's where i'm registered. it took a little over an hour. blurgh.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®