Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / The Boston Spaceships feat. Robert Pollard of Guided By Voices Saturday Oct 11th
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 2:54 pm

I'm guessing there are a few GBV fans lurking around this board.
Boston Spaceships are Bob Pollard's new band, the touring version of which, features unsung power-pop hero Tommy Keene on guitar. The record is full of punchy, conscise songs with great lyrics. The show itself will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 hours. If you saw any (late period especially) GBV shows, you know what a good time you're in for.
9pm doors
$13 advance, $15 day of
Tickets available here
http://www.hitone.musictoday.com/HiTone/calendar.aspx
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 8:04 pm

Bob:

"We’re embarking on a three-quarters U.S. tour. We’re not doing the West Coast, it’s too far"

GODDAMNIT!!!
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 11:26 pm

late period? when he'd ditched his band completely?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:12 am | Edited by: hitone

having seen the classic line-up and most of the different line-ups after that, i found the post-2000 shows to be when GBV became more of a non-stop tour de force, able to breathe new life into hundreds of different songs on any given evening, despite how much miller lite, cuervo and jack daniels had been put down.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:24 am

that's the single nerdiest thing I've ever typed.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 9:08 am

ha!

yeah, i saw 'em early and nostalgically loved that real "we're a buncha guys determined to drink and rock as hard as humanly possible for an absurdist punk beatles cover band" band, but they juggernauted real good later, too.

great leg kicks- he still got it?
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:03 am

that's the single nerdiest thing I've ever typed.

Don't sell yourself short.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 10:37 am

He did the single best Roger Daltrey impersonation ever at a Barristers show circa 1997.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 12:36 pm

Did anyone else catch GBV at the Antenna with the Grifters and the Strapping Field hands? My cousin was in from PA and he wanted to go, so we went. I was 18 I think, so this was around Thanksgiving 92 or 93. My cousin geeked out on Bob Pollard and had a 20 minute conversation with him about being a school teacher. It was very odd. And I go very drunk.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 1:11 pm

He did the single best Roger Daltrey impersonation ever at a Barristers show circa 1997

And at the Last Place on Earth in 2001. We got Baba O'Reily - how about you?

Not many people there - everybody had several square feet of dancing room. Bob gave away beers through the whole show, so after half an hour pretty much everyone in the room had a beer from Bob. We also cleaned out the bar. Amazing show.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 2:26 pm

Did anyone else catch GBV at the Antenna with the Grifters and the Strapping Field hands?

uh, yes. there's video somewhere... shelby bryant & dave dunlap interviewing bob malloy from the fieldhands... brilliant.

amazing show, that one.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 3:33 pm

And at the Last Place on Earth in 2001. We got Baba O'Reily - how about you?

That was a great show. Almost like an endurance test.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 9:41 pm

damn it. i'm going to be out of town this weekend and i really wanted to see this show. fuckin aye.
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:34 pm

The clock on the wall says it's time for a great gbv show...GBV! GBV! GBV!

That interview by Shebly & Hippie Dave with Malloy is genious. Malloy explaining the origin of "Ben Franklin Airbath" from Pollard's crazy visit to Philiadelphia screaming, "Ben Franklin's town, Ben Franklin's town" all over the place. Definitely one of the top 5 shows at antenna club ever!
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 9:14 am

i hope i still have it on tape. i thought it'd been youtubed but no go diggie die on my last search.
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:22 pm

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 4:05 pm

great leg kicks- he still got it?

This sort-of answers that question -

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2008/oct/09/pollard-sips-fountain-of-roc k-youth/
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:47 am

Did anyone else catch GBV at the Antenna with the Grifters and the Strapping Field hands?

Oh yes, that was an excellent show. I think Tripp and/or Scott told me I should be sure to check out GBV.

Last time I saw Mr. Pollard perform was December last year and yes, he was still doing high kicks. Good to see the media coverage for this show, especially the article by Mr. Earles. Wish I could be there!
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am

I remember trying to find a place to drink with GBV and Scott T (maybe Tripp, too) after one of the LPOE shows, but I think it was the one in 1999. Wanda wouldn't let us in, but we managed to get in a quick round at Murphy's. After that some crazy guy from New Jersey invited us all back to his room at the Radisson and we drank vodka on ice and smoked out. I managed to crawl home before daybreak and was a hurtin' turtle for the next 24 hours!

P.S. The moral of this story is don't try to keep up with professional drinkers if you're just an amateur.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 5:34 pm

I was in the process of buying tix for this online, but wit the service fee it actually costs 25 cents more than paying at the door. I'm gonna risk the sell-out and wait.

Any idea what time Bob goes on?
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Supposed to be 10:30-11. They're playing for 2.5 hours, or so I've been told.
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:34 pm

o
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm | Edited by: zac

antenna show was bee thousand era (i think) and great all the way around. first time best time the way i remember it. it was great as long as the gang was still there - but after mitch and tobin and those guys all left and they filled in with that other band - you know the guy with the snake skin jacket - everything went to shit. records were terrible - live show was terrible. I got off the train for a while - but caught back up after he got those two young guys - one guy was in chavez i think... somehow it breathed life back into the show and was fun again. gbv live show roller coaster... gonna try and see what it's like these days...
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 11:02 pm

The Barristers show I believe may have been billed as Chavez. Dave? Andy? Confirm.
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 12:17 am

1st show at antenna best! Cold as hell night in january and that born again jesus freak who played trombone with compulsive gamblers (sunrise?) & was a total drunk tried to tackle the then-unknown Pollard & fight him when he jumped onstage to sing with the Grifters! Hilarious!

2nd time was next year with Fieldhands/Grifters. Then Barristers show was the ROCK era a few years later and not so great. I think Doug from some Scat band was playing guitar by then.

Looking forward to the eye of the tiger!
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 8:44 am

mitch was the shit right there boy! WHOOO!
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 5:03 pm

any chance this is gonna sell out?
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 6:09 pm

So the real Memphis finally reveals itself. What's next, you guys gonna get all lathered up when R.E.M. comes to town? Sheesh!

(The dude from Chavez was probably Matt Sweeney. He'll play with anybody.)
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Glad to see your sponsor let you get back on the internet. Hope the medication continues to serve you well.
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Glad to see you're still sitting in an empty record store monitoring the GBV thread 24/7, loser. You even have poor April throwing fundraisers for you. How sad.
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Somebody needs to post that pic of Peter Buck bartending up here.
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 8:12 pm

Holy shit! Last show with Peter Buck at Hi Tone was awesome! Minus 5 rule! I'd definitely see R.E.M. before that crappy band you were in.

Hey, grandpa, you have more bitterness than John McCain that no one gives a shit about your cut-out band. Ebay 1 cent sale. Shipping costs $4.01 more than your cd. Jealousy does not suit you so well.
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 8:41 am

i was thinking about going to this show. are they still playing?
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 5:11 pm

2nd time was next year with Fieldhands/Grifters. Then Barristers show was the ROCK era a few years later and not so great. I think Doug from some Scat band was playing guitar by then.

That would be Doug Gillard, who played with Cobra Verde, Gem and Death of Samantha back in the day. He's currently got a solo career going on and is about to release a new record.

http://www.myspace.com/douggillard
Posted: Oct 12, 2008 5:54 pm

Ended relatively early, but rocked it really hard. Memph didn't represent, but there were the usual cast of midwest misfits following Pollard around. The band was phenomenal and the crowd that was there was drunked & high energy. Not nearly the amount of leg kicks or beer consumed as in the past, but Pollard remains a hero to aspiring rocknrollers everywhere. Sound was great too.
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 3:40 pm

The unfortunately titled Brown Submarine

First Earles, then Beifuss this morning on the radio - what's with you guys, can't you take a shit joke?
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 6:30 pm

I have trouble with certain BAD jokes, not shit jokes.

The Barrister's show was not yet Cobra Verde-era, it was the tour behind Alien Lanes. I worked the merch table and had to be up at 5:30 AM to man a shitty cubicle, plus I lived at Royal Arms, so this had to be '95 - '96, probably '95. Chavez opened and were great, but I've always been the only one of my closer peoples to dig on them. Cobra Verde-era GBV played at either The Last Place on Earth, Barristers Midtown, regular Barrister's, or the Deli, and that show was a year or two later.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was the first Antenna show not the much earlier New Radiant Storm King/GVB/Grifters show??? NRST killed. Girl drummer. I remember sitting on the vacant dance floor during NRST's set...everyone was kicking it towards the back until GBV, Dunlap and I were not really friends yet (he was having none of it at the time), and I had to drive back to east Memphis, so this makes it '92 - '93. The Strapping Fieldhands/GBV show was at the Antenna, but 6 months to a year later, because I got drunk at Dave and Shelby's place beforehand, and crashed on the flea/various vermin-filled couch. Chris Selvig was in town by this point, too, so it had to be '94. Sorry, these social tags help me 'member.
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 12:13 pm

This ridiculously complete database should fill in the blanks on any GBV gigs/dates.

http://gbvdb.com/albums.asp?album_title=Memphis%2C+TN&setlist=True
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 1:19 pm

I HATE THE TRUTH!!!
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 1:35 pm

sounds interesting. Are they still playing?

Thinking about catching the last few numbers.
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:05 pm

if you grab the greyhound now, you should be in nashville in time for saturday's show
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 7:17 pm

tower to the skys
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 11:24 pm

an academy of lies
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®