Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / PORK SANDWICHES for Inhuman Eating Machine: The Gonerfest Challenge
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 11:57 pm

List some spots for Andy here! He's trying to eat at 8-12 spots in a day... he's already got the usuals. I'd say anything within a half hour of midtown... including west memphis and east memphis, also north, and south!

Paynes / Cozy Corner / BBQ Shop / Central BBQ / Tops / A & R / Interstate / Neely's and more covered...

thought of another one...

Kelvin's BBQ & Wings
2675 Frayser Blvd
Memphis, TN 38127

where else?
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 1:45 am | Edited by: street

Send him out east to the BBQ 'burbs!!

Leonard's / 5465 Fox Plaza Drive / 38115
Three Little Pigs / 5145 Quince / 38117
Germantown Commissary / 2290 S. Germantown Road / 38138
One & Only BBQ / 1779 Kirby Parkway / 38138
Pig-N-Whistle / 2740 Bartlett Road / 38134

Never been here, but it sure looked great on the Food Network:
Tom's Bar-B-Q & Deli / 3067 Getwell / 38118

Also, there's always Corky's. And there's a fairly new "Ken Neely's BBQ" out east across from Wal-mart, on Winchester near G'town Road.

Anybody ever try Showboat BBQ?
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 7:54 am

Showboat BBQ?
We used to eat there all of the time...but it's been years...it was REALLY good...always got the ribs...
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 8:42 am

I am looking up some places over in ARK, my junior high stomping grounds. This is a bit of a drive, but sounds very intriguing:

Dixie Pig - Blytheville
(701 N 6th St - 501 763-4632) Ordinary looking building with good BBQ; opened in 1923; moved to present location in 1950; pork sandwiches with spicy vinegar sauce; signature Pig Salad (minced pork covered with lettuce, tomatoes, and blue cheese dressing; open 7 days a week.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 8:45 am

I saw the Leonard's the other day and they have the OLD Leonard's neon sign; I would go just to snap that alone. The Commissary will be full of rich golfers. Three Little Pigs is in my neighborhood. However, I am a Payne's girl and tend to save up my cravings for them.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 8:53 am

Triple Post (two days in a row)!!!

Willie Mae's Rib Haus - West Memphis (Added December, 2003) [Photo]
(321 West Broadway; 870-732-0048) Owners Kenneth & Zenobia Polk keep this spartan rib shack in operation 7 days a week; they open their doors at 10:30 am and close at 7 pm (8 pm on Sat and Sun); we sampled $5.99 lunch buffet which featured rib tips in a nice tangy sauce, fried pork chops, pinto beans bathed in pork fat, delicious collard greens with a hint of sweetness, and some of the best light and airy cornbread west of the mighty Mississippi; atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but who really cares? The grub at Willie Mae's does the talkin'. Pass the hot sauce! As for the curious spelling of "haus," your guess is as good as ours.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 11:09 am

Fat Heads @ Missisippi & Trigg!
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 1:35 pm

Uncle Sam's BBQ inside Range USA off Whitten Rd. is the safest resturaunt in Memphis. The dining room has a large window made of ballistic glass that looks out over the firing line, and the little old lady who serves it up has a .45 on her hip. The sauce is a little sweet for my tastes, but the pork is some of the best I've had.
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 2:46 pm

Most of those are good, but i swear that this poor looking little cconvenience store out in woodstock has the best bbq in and around memphis. Hands down.

go down hwy 51 toward millington, take a left on rust rd, and it's about a mile down on your left. no need to know the name cause it's the only store out there

it's about 15-20 minutes from midtown.
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 12:22 am

Dixie Pig - Blytheville
(701 N 6th St - 501 763-4632) Ordinary looking building with good BBQ; opened in 1923; moved to present location in 1950; pork sandwiches with spicy vinegar sauce; signature Pig Salad (minced pork covered with lettuce, tomatoes, and blue cheese dressing; open 7 days a week.

My sentimental favorite bbq in the world. My mom grew up there and there is picture of my aunt Jean in her drum major outfit on the wall there.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 10:15 am | Edited by: taterhead

Dixie Pig - Blytheville

My sentimental favorite bbq in the world. My mom grew up there and there is picture of my aunt Jean in her drum major outfit on the wall there.

My sentimental favorite too, carney. its not the best, but i'll never turn down a pig salad with blue cheese like it says. great authentic place.

kreme kastle has the best sandwich in town in my humble. just don't go in and watch them make it.

if for some unknown reason anyone gets up near kennett, mo, head north about 14 miles to Holcomb. place called strawberrys. dont mind the odd looks from the locals. get there early for ribs and pork steak. they run out and its unreal.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 11:33 am

Leonard's downtown is now open for dinner.

Kelvin's BBQ & Wings
2675 Frayser Blvd
Memphis, TN 38127

Best wings I've ever had.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 11:41 am

I still say try Fat Larry's WAY out Summer Ave in Bartlett.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 1:30 pm

Toms is killer.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 2:44 pm

kreme kastle has the best sandwich in town in my humble. just don't go in and watch them make it.
that's the drive inn burger place, right? I never go there cause I always just go to the Pig. whenever I stop there passing through, I get 3-4 sandwhiches to go after eating inside. they never make to the next stop.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 2:55 pm

Ray's World Famous Bar-B-Que
(870) 732-2044
1214 N Missouri St, West Memphis, AR 72301

They take orders by cb radio!

Here is our story on this place.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:11 pm

Burger King
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:27 pm

Mc Ribb!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 4:53 pm

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going to do my darndest to eat until I plotz on this first non-Bay Area IEM session. I'll be going to West Memphis for sure, but I think Blytheville may be a little far to go for my purposes. All the driving to get there and back to Memphis would burn valuable eating time. And are any of these places open particularly late? I'm gonna try and route the journey so I leave any late-nights spots for last.

Uncle Sam's BBQ inside Range USA off Whitten Rd. is the safest resturaunt in Memphis. The dining room has a large window made of ballistic glass that looks out over the firing line, and the little old lady who serves it up has a .45 on her hip.
Man, I REALLY wanted to eat here, but from what I can tell from the 'net, it looks like they're out of business.
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 7:17 pm

i haven't been there but i swear i just saw a review in the last month or so(?)
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 7:20 pm

will call 'em tomorrow!
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 7:28 pm

You're correct -- Uncle Sam's is finished. I'm shaken up inside about this. There was something about eating pulled pork sandwiches with your hands covered in sulfur and brass shavings that I fucking loved.

If you like cookin' and shootin' they're looking for kitchen help for their new operation. Hippies, junkies, and Democrats need not apply.
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 12:02 am

what? i thought this was AMERICA!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®