Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / oh no! no mo harpos!!!
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 9:40 am

i went there once.....once.

shut down last friday.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:02 am

i went there once.....once.

Same here. They had a killer jukebox and some great characters pretty much living there or behind the place.

I'm out that way a lot and always wanted to try their breakfast, but could never bring myself to go in there at 7:30 am.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:14 am

We are running out of places to get a good old fashioned ass whoopin'.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:19 am

We are running out of places to get a good old fashioned ass whoopin'.

There's still Cheyennes on Shelby dr.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 11:44 am

the one time i went in there on a whim a few months back, i was greeted as soon as i got out of the car by this big(6'8") lanky mid 40's dude. who was complaining bout just getting kicked out and wanting me to go get him a beer and bring it out to him so we could talk about it. coming right up.

so i go in and a friendly looking dog no more than knee high comes waddling up to me. i kneel down to let it sniff me/pet it when all of a sudden this yosemite sam looking fella(harpo) comes from behind the bar, stoagie in mouth, yelling 'no no no!!! getaway from him" . He was yelling at the dog. i then went up to the bar where a normal looking lady who appeared to be a regular, showed me a scar she had on the back of her hand. she said "see that?'. 'that dog caused that. cost me $175 dollars'. i took a spot at the bar by the back wall. it was hot and the skinny, scrawny dude serving beers had his shirt opened. he kept telling me its a lot hotter in the kitchen. i believed him. after about a beer, tall lanky door greeter came in and gave harpo a hug and apologized and was just soooo happy to be allowed back in. he sat on a stool next to me and ended up telling me about his playing days at ole miss. apparently he played tight end for their football team. late 70's/early 80's. while he did not really look like a football player, his comments bout billy brewer were amusing.

while all this was going on, a few folks kept goin in and out of the back door. they'd come back in and sit at the community tables and then go back out. it was dark back there and i didn't dare stray out there to see exactly what was going on. i guess i didn't feel adventurous that night.

i had a few beers, played some tunes on the box, a young fella stationed at the naval base introduced himself and nothing extraordinary happened. oh, they had a pay phone by the back wall and folks were using it, which was a bit amusing. it was hot. i split and never went back.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 1:07 pm

i grew up within a mile from there and never ventured in ...however i do remember when i was kid, it was called wimpys truck stop.i think my dad and my uncle the drunk occasionally snuck up there much to my mother's chagrine.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 1:40 pm

i was greeted as soon as i got out of the car by this big(6'8") lanky mid 40's dude.

That's the same guy we ran into a couple of years back. He was a rough looking 40 something guy, but i remember him being very lanky and extremely tall.

I'm not sure if it was the same bartender or not, but the one that was there the night i went asked me where i was from. i told him i grew up in millington and then moved to midtown in my late teens. He said that's where hebrew high(central- thats what he called it because of all the jews) was, and then we told each other racist jokes for about 15 minutes. We had some laughs...

while all this was going on, a few folks kept goin in and out of the back door. they'd come back in and sit at the community tables and then go back out. it was dark back there and i didn't dare stray out there to see exactly what was going on

Theres some shady shit going on in and around that place. Probably a wise decision not to go out back. It's too close to the loosahatchie and i can guess they would have no problem dragging your ass down there if you saw something you were not supposed to see.
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 10:38 pm

I guess I'll chime in with the story of the night Papa Top played at Harpo's. Yes, to my knowledge we are still the only band to ever play at Harpo's. We were at the time anyway. Probably five years ago or so, we played somewhere and decided at around 3AM that we should go to Harpo's and see if we could play again. As we walked in, the first guy I saw was in unlaced hi-top reeboks, cut offs, stringy ultrablond curly mullet and a pastel muscle-T leaning way back n his chair screaming along to "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..." I kid you not! As the first one in the door, I turned back to Chris Davis and remarked, "that's the one that's going to kick my ass." They let us play, and were delighted to have some entertainment. We played a long set of classic country music. John Stivers kept thinking he knew one of the hookers (big fat blond who kept going outside with various guys). Finally he blurted out, "man, that's so and so (her name)... I asked her to go to Queen with me in the 8th grade and she said no!" Hence the saying that you don't say no to Stivers or you end up a hooker at Harpo's. As we loaded out, I was alone outside for a moment, and heard a voice from way back in the parking lot saying, hey man, come over here and help me jump my car off. Lo and behold, I see an unlaced reebok sticking out the door of a red IROC-Z Camaro. I replied that I'd come over in just a minute, thinking I'd wait til some other guys were out with me. The sun was coming up, but it was still pretty dark back there by the woods. Sure enough, as soon as Davis and Stivers come outside, the guy cranks his car right up and drives off! Who knows what ill intent this guy had in mind. We went home and two weeks later I saw a news report about two dead women found in the woods right behind Harpo's - not a safe place!
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 11:50 pm

that's the story i wanted to hear, again!

stivers told me his dad told him that he should never go to Harpo's!

you guys rule.

i never did go.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 1:37 am

that reminds me, there was this mid 20's? tall blonde mute girl, who was going back n forth on these two guys sitting at the bar giving them back rubs. and there was this black dude sitting at the long table by himself, not drinking, not talking to anyone, just sitting there.....i was there for at least an hour, a few beers anyway, and i didnt see the guy talk to a soul, get up to squirt, order something to drink. absolutely nothing. wild place.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 3:12 am

I always heard that everyone at Harpo's had either just been released from prison or was about to go to prison. That startled me.

When John Stivers was a simple pre-Impala teen, his dad told him (paraphrase), "Son, you're gonna do a lot of stupid things in your life... we all do, but please promise me that you'll never go to Harpo's."

Well, Stivers ended up going there, on more than one occasion. As soon as he told me that, I realized that the only way to save his eternal soul from certain damnation was for ME to honor his dad's lone request. Thus, I never went to that disease-ridden hell hole... and Stivers' eternal soul has been redeemed.

You're welcome.
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 9:54 am

Don't know if any of you folks knew about Tom Green's visit to Harpo's:
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 11:11 am

Me and a friend met a guy at P&H who said his "street name" was Rockpile and he could get free beer at Harpos. I grew up in Frayser, knew all about Harpos and thought what the hell this should be fun. Once we got there he parked in back and there was a big line leading up steps to some room above the place. He said that's where the hookers were (so I think that and crack might be why you saw people coming and going from the back). Not much was happening at Harpos other than the occasional thunk you'd hear when somebody passed out and their head hit a table, bar etc. We finished the night off at Harvester Inn in Frayser which is redneck but nowhere near as rough as Harpos I don't think. I could definitely see a serial killer hanging out at Harpos though. Most of the regulars there wouldn't be missed for a while if at all when they disappeared
Posted: Aug 16, 2008 6:04 pm

For years my stepdad had a radiator shop that was right next door to Harpo's. I spent many afternoons after school hanging out at the shop watching the weirdos. He put up a series of poles and steel cable to delineate his turf. I do remember there was some hooker over there giving everybody the AIDS. Nice place.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:34 am

i know that radiator shop...there was a body shop near there also if memory serves.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 8:57 am

dave atell went there on his insomniac show, too. you could count the teeth of the folks he met there on one hand.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 12:15 pm

Is Albert's Cabins (just up 51 from Harpo's) still going? A guy at work said they had to use a fried fish utensil to skim the jizz off the jacuzzi water there.
Posted: Aug 17, 2008 2:56 pm

when i was a little kid...and im talking in the 60s here.....alberts cabins was a ligit motel type of place with a good italian restaraunt in it[seemed good to me and my family at the time anyway].....there was a large italian contingnent in frayser at one time.albert ricci senior died around 1970 and the son took over, closed the restaraunt and ..uh...redefined the motel operation.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 2:17 pm

I only went to Harpo's once. I was on the way to play golf at Big creek (I Think) with some folks from the Two Way and the Deli. We had pulled one of those all night two way benders and made our way out for our tee time. I was, needless to say, sideways. We stopped at Harpo's for some reason, ordered a Busch, and drank it. There was noone there but some dude playing cards by himself and the bartender. The bartender followed us out and begged us to come back because we tipped. This was a Wednesday at 11 am and, even in my drunken state, I was creeped out. I cannot even imagine what it was like after the sun went down.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Oh yeah, when we got to the golf course I fell over in the clubhouse while trying to tie my shoes. Not a good day.
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 9:23 pm

why was it closed?
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 7:54 pm

The Harpo's closing is yet another example of the wealthy having their way with our fun and our way of life. I'm certain ACORN could have made Harpo's into a palace for at least and hour or two on election day. Anyhow, it downright sucks the neighborhood will forever be without this beacon of progressive evidence.
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 8:43 pm

This was taken in Sept. 2008 .It's way more in a ruinous state now. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/Rumpleforeskin_/PICT0064.jpg
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 7:29 am

I can't remember what they are using it for now. I keep wanting to say a tax preparers office, but that can't be right. I have to go to millington tonight, so i'll check it out and report back tomorrow.

But yeah, it doesn't look near as good as it does in that picture, Rumple.
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 4:53 am

I loved that bar in the 80's up until 1990 while I was in the Marine Corps. Cheap beer and sometimes good company. Even then, they used to have a good looking bartender now and then. The last one I remember was the owners daughter. Another one was a girl from Oklahoma.
Posted: Dec 26, 2017 4:48 pm

I hear it is now a BLUES bar! Could be something. I have talked to people who have been there. Millington folks, any word?
Posted: Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Was a blues bar...closed again
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®