Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / RIP Isaac Hayes
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Just heard on the news that he passed away. That makes me sad.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Holy Shit. RIP
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Just saw that.! Man...what a terrible loss. Rest In Peace Issac!
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Complete bummer!
RIP, King of New York.
I Googled but found nothing yet. However, I did find an ironic report from the future...

Today is Wednesday, August 20th, the 233rd day of 2008. There are 133 days left in the year.
Singer-musician Isaac Hayes is 66. Broadcast journalist Connie Chung is 62. Musician Jimmy Pankow (Chicago) is 61. Rock singer Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) is 60. Rock singer Doug Fieger (FY'-ger) (The Knack) is 56. Country singer Rudy Gatlin is 56.
http://www.kxmb.com/News/263196.asp
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:13 pm

wtf?

Here's what we know so far.

the 233rd day of 2008. There are 133 days left in the year

Theese are all great numbers, by the way.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Rest in Hot Buttered Peace.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:23 pm

That really blows! I blame Scientology!
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:42 pm

its the wrath of an angry God. shoulda stayed on south park.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:48 pm

This sucks, whats with the rash of deaths? My mom just told me Bernie Mac died too.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 3:59 pm

Gah... celebrities need to stay the hell out of Memphis and its surrounding areas for awhile. It ain't safe here.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 4:09 pm

He was a TERRIBLE singer.
Maybe the worst.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 4:23 pm

cool mofo...saw him one time get out of his Jaguar at a 7/11...full length leopard skin fur coat...in July.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 4:32 pm

I may actually punch you, Gunn.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 5:32 pm

It's too bad most people know him from South Park, because he was an incredible songwriter. One of my favorites.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Went to Lausanne with his kids and Melanie was a good friend. He hosted her 5th bday party at the Holiday Inn Rivermont complete with valets and a champagne fountain of Kool Aid. RIP.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I heard him once give rappers the advice: "If a bitch got bumps n shit on her pussy, don't fuck her! That's scary shit."

No truer words...
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 6:38 pm

He used to come into the deli regularly at Squash back in the day looking fine as hell. He had quite a presence about him. Always made my day!
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 6:38 pm

Seriously. Waaaaay cooler of a dude in person than Sam "full of himself" Phillips.

*personal anecdote, no reflection on anyone else's memory of the men.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 6:44 pm

He used to come into the deli regularly at Squash back in the day

My roommate was jealous that I got to make food for someone that was in a Carpenter movie.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I remember seein him in Squash. That was awesome!
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Damn.
RIP.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 7:57 pm

we were talking about him at hethurr and joe t's wedding just last weekend... in the stax museum while looking at his car... i heard stories of him driving his kids to school in that pimped out vehicle... and we kept hearing his voice whenever ross johnson's elbow or feet moved across the invisible electric eye guarding the car...

yes... it is too bad that scores of people only know him from southpark and scientology.

he was a badass in the best possible way.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 9:47 pm

He was a TERRIBLE singer.
Maybe the worst.

And the winner for most predictable, bullshit, "everybody look at me because I'm SOOOOOO confrontational, I mean really can you handle me" award goes to......

Miss Jeff Gunn Linda

Like clock work.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 7:01 am

I saw him at the Seessel's on Winchester one night years ago, like 1992 or so. Was cruising the cheese section. I said nothing, but a guy walked by him and said "Hi Mr. Hayes!" and he replied with "Hello young man!". Sounded just like "Hello, children!". Aw.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:29 am

My roommate was jealous that I got to make food for someone that was in a Carpenter movie.

Adrienne Barbeau?
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 9:37 am

i heard stories of him driving his kids to school in that pimped out vehicle.

This is absolutely true, but only on occasion did he bring out the serious pimped ride to Lausanne. There was another, later model Cadillac he brought once to our 74 or 75 May Day celebration. He opened it up and let all the kids there crawl in and out. It was ultra-classic because all the East Memphis strivers were conflicted about being impressed on one hand and thinking how tacky it was on the other. My mom was in the former camp snapping photos of it.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 10:59 am

totally bummed out.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm | Edited by: Bob Mehr

I haven't wathced the movie in years, and I don't recall it being as good as this trailer -- but, man, this is how you hype a movie! The voice over narration is priceless. "Hide your mamas!"

Posted: Aug 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Not to mention this one:

Great soundtrack!
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

That really blows! I blame Scientology!

You aren't the only one.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 7:49 pm

You aren't the only one.

Jesus Christ. Fucking Scientologists! Should I kick over their table when I leave work tonight?
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Damn that pisses me off! Something bad needs to happen to that cult. They have gotten away with so much nefarious crap.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Maybe the worst.

Miss Linda!!!! My lands!

Maybe this advice would be good for you too:

celebrities need to stay the hell out of Memphis and its surrounding areas for awhile. It ain't safe here
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Memphis should rename Walker Ave as"Isaac Hayes Ave." Then where it intersected Porter ,there you would find "Hayes and Porter". At least rename McLemore "Isaac Hayes" so the Stax Museum would be on that street.
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 10:29 pm

early 70s...playing baseball at manassas and it was issac hayes day.

we saw him pulling out in that gold plated cadillac....i think it got repo'd along with all his other stuff a few years later

there is a studio here that has his old B3...i always put organ on stuff there whether it called for it or not...just because.

rip
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 4:29 pm

If you missed the 1 hour tribute on the Memphis Beat today, tune in to the 2 hour one tomorrow night (wed.) as I play only songs that Mr. Hayes wrote...along side with Mr. Porter,Cropper, and many others. 10pm-12am on WEVL 89.9FM and online at... wevl.org
R.I.P.
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 4:38 pm

And the winner for most predictable, bullshit, "everybody look at me because I'm SOOOOOO confrontational, I mean really can you handle me" award goes to......

Miss Jeff Gunn Linda

Like clock work.

It's not my fault the man can't sing.
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 4:51 pm

see, it worked.
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 11:56 am

Seriously. Waaaaay cooler of a dude in person than Sam "full of himself" Phillips.

Dude, I had some friends who worked for him at one of his radio stations in northwest Alabama... and he was one mean motherf*cker. He'd call you up at 3:00 a.m. and talk endlessly. He was really hard to work for. Had an ego for sure.
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 11:58 am

Damn that pisses me off! Something bad needs to happen to that cult. They have gotten away with so much nefarious crap.

Have any of you been to the "Scientology Kills" website? I don't see how they get away with all they do.

There are some other celebs from Memphis who won't leave the cult because they're afraid of having their "auditing" files made public - along with a few Polaroids that have been locked away for about 40 years.

They'll eventually come out.
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 11:55 pm

It's not my fault the man can't sing.

Damn you, that made me chuckle.
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 5:25 pm

You'll regret it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®