Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Midtown development pt 2
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 11:28 am

Memphis Business Journal has a new article about a potential grocery store in Overton square. I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of the buildings being torn down though.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 3:28 pm

i can throw a rock to that four acre parking lot from my front porch. it's not the best scenery, either. but, for some reason, i'm not sure an apple market or sun fresh upscale urban market thing would look better.

http://static.flickr.com/100/314922301_87d5f93129.jpg
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 3:40 pm

i don't know how it would look or if it would be a good grocery store, but damn we need a good grocery store so i will cross my fingers.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 4:20 pm

This corp has shit grocery stores, it seems. Anyone who has ever stopped at the Hardy, Arkansas Price Chopper will know precisely what I am saying. I am definitely not into the buildings being torn down for that at all.

But as I am decamping to East Jesus, perhaps I have little say.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 4:27 pm

Ca$H $aver, Price Chopper, Thriftway, Piggly Wiggly East...

too bad it costs $5 to drive to whole foods or fresh market.
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't think we need another grocery store in Midtown! Whatever your needs, the ghetto Kroger, Schnucks, the Pig, and Easy Way will take care of them! I mean...if you want 300 cheeses I guess you have to drive to Trinity Commons, but it doesn't sound like these folks will have three hundred chesses! Shit grocery stores is right. Do we need another Kroghetto where those lovely buildings are? Think not.

I'd hate to see the buildings torn down for that, but I'm an old fogey.
Please, please, please give me a Target!! Or somewhere I could buy underwear besides Family dollar!
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 12:32 am

http://www.awginc.com/applemarket.html

They may try to do this concept as it \"fits\" Midtown but the building and huge logo are hideous.
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 11:58 am

I don't really think we need any additional grocery stores in Midtown. What we need is a health food store (or yeah, a small Target or something). I have no real attachment to any of those buildings. I would prefer to see something there that actually works.
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 12:11 pm

all of you are actually happy with schnuck's, piggly wiggly and kroger on cleveland?! seriously? i don't know. i think all three of those stores are pretty much awful. and a good grocery store would have great health food and produce selections like the fresh market. now i agree that this corporation seems to be pushing cheapo bullshit stores and so they probably aren't the answer, but we need better grocery stores.

oh and p.s. sorry ms. faye, i love you, but fuck a target.
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 12:12 pm | Edited by: saispas

I'd agree with that (a small Target/good heath food store a la Wild Oats, though really a New Seasons or Trader Joes even) but have no idea why they could not save the facades as they are really unique.
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 12:14 pm

Though New Seasons is only in Portland...it is an excellent local model.
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 9:33 pm

fuck a target
Sounds kinky.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 2:25 am | Edited by: Highway Star

dammit, why do you have to say that. now i'm all verklempt.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 2:42 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Please wake me up when your problems move to New Spain.
Good with what I got. Thanks.
Midtown is NOT Memphis.
Midtown is "dudes looking for coke".
Midtown is an idea inside an old, degraded "belt-way".
Quirky with "you'll probably get robbed".
Midtown really needs to re-think it's borders, or calling its separate parts outside of what it is.
Midtown is an "Idea".
Ideas fade like the Pyramid.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 9:55 am

we had a coupl...cafe society had a specialty food store w/ killa breads preserves oils fish...it was really awesome but expensive as sheeite..and before do sushi it was a grab and go spc. that also sold shoes and vespas..i wonder if it wuld work now?
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 10:31 am

Heck naw. I worked at Cafe when they had Epicure--that place drug CS down financially--with nothing but high dollar ingredients, there's very little room for profit and any shrink could throw you straight into the red. Good idea in theory, but few want to spend money instead of make money to keep a hobby open. Same with Karen's shoe place--good idea in theory (I guess), but as it stands now, Do keeps the Beauty Shop afloat financially (or it did when I worked there). High dollar cutesy places don't seem to work well here, and with today's economy, I especially don't see them working.
Posted: Aug 10, 2008 5:45 pm

shoes, vespas, groceries, and i fergot bout hats..man that was pretty genious....did you hear bootsie got shot in the leg? HILARIOUS
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Memphis business journal is reporting that Target wants to go to the Fairgrounds
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 10:52 pm

Memphis business journal is reporting that sears is returning
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 12:35 am

yeah, H Turley is trying to put a Wal Mart in the Fairgrounds.

wow, look at all that parking.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®