Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Steve Cohen Flips Out
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 2:33 pm

Watch Congressman Steve Cohen kick a photographer out of his house. Pretty awesome video.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 2:41 pm

Go Steve!
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 3:33 pm

Nikki Tinker would just bore a photographer out of her house. Yay Cohen!
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 3:43 pm

ALRIGHT STEVE!!

I hope he'll bury her. She's pissed me off with the ads and damned Beverly Marrero (who I think Cohen stumped for, and if I'm remembering right I voted for her because he did) calling my house and asking me to vote for Tinker.
Course, I guess he blew all to hell the Memphis Armenian vote yesterday.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 4:43 pm

Armenians, up in people's houses since 1991.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 4:44 pm

blew all to hell the Memphis Armenian vote yesterday

Actually, I think he did several years ago when he failed to press Turkey to apologize for the Armenian genocide of 1915. They've hated him for like 2 or 3 years.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 4:46 pm

Do you think we should print t-shirts that say "Don't tell Cohen I'm Armenian"?
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 4:51 pm

There goes the Kardashian vote
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 4:52 pm

Armenia IS Midtown
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 5:14 pm

Armenians...pretending to be Italian to sell mediocre italian food to unknowing white people since 1987
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 5:39 pm

Those goddamned Armenians should go back to California!
I loved it in the video when he was fixing to say "fucking" but didn't.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 6:24 pm

by the way, my hard core Republican (though civil rights oriented) mother just called me to make sure I was voting for Cohen. She is totally pissed about this whole campaign and said, (I quote), "Steve Cohen's a JEW and has dedicated his WHOLE LIFE to Memphis and civil rights in Memphis. I wish he had just out and out said this was the worst racist thing he's every come up against, including the Fords!"

Go mom.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:18 pm

Famous Armenians: Eric Bogosian, Andre Agassi, Cher
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:53 pm

keith olbermann just bashed nikki tinker on national television.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 9:27 pm

That's s'posed to be on CSNBC again in one minute now.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 10:06 pm

just talked to my other die hard Republican friend. Well, he's kind of "independent" on some things. Called me to tell me that he'd seen the video, and that is was "fucking awesome". Called me to tell me go vote for Cohen tomorrow, and went into great detail about what Sambeaux was talking about. "What the hell...just because he wouldn't condemn Turkey...a true ally" and etc.
What did olberman say about Tinker??? Link?

Anyway, vote!
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:26 pm

Bravo on the reporter-ejection. The apology for slavery was pandering to his district, the non-apology for genocide was pandering to keep the bases in Turkey. Not that I'd vote for Tinker, but I'm not inspired by this shitbag. Pragmatism is ugly. I'm not in office so my compromises can be kept secret, but Steve ain't my man.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:41 pm

Now is not the time to piss off Turkey. It sucks that they (probably) killed a whole bunch of people 80 years ago, but we've got 150,000 troops in Iraq depending on supplies that come through Turkey. I wish we didn't, it's the stupidest thing we've ever done as a country, but we do. We made this bed now we have to lay in it. We're just not in a position to be telling the Turks anything. We're asking them for stuff. And that's not Steve Cohen's fault.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:43 pm

I'd hardly call him a shitbag.

My kid is going to college in good part because of the Hope Scholarship. That is good enough for me. I think he put the money where his mouth is in that instance.
The apology for slavery struck me as kind of "funny" as in off, but I don't think he's a panderer. I like him, he's worked for Memphis forever, and I'm giving him an A for effort.
I'm definitely turned off by the Tinker KKK ads. Can we stop with that bullshit already?
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 12:18 am | Edited by: MATAlac

Cohen mentioned Emily's List who is backing Tinker because of his comment awhile back comparing Hillary to Glen Close in Fatal Attraction

Please give Emily's List a piece of your mind! here and let them know that she is just a front woman for the corporate elite. The list is funneling national dollars to Tinker, and could have paid for the Armeninan dude.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 12:31 am

I'm torn on the idea of college. I work with people who have advanced degrees, people with undergrad degrees, people with some college, people with no college, etc. A degree isn't a magic wand - some with an advanced degree work as clerks, some with no college supervise departments.

My shitbag comment is tied to my utter revulsion of his stance on key issues. There are issues I don't care about, issues I'm flexible about, and issues that I will not ignore. SC and I cross on several issues. But the ones that matter to me matter to the extent that I feel comfortable labeling him a shitbag. He put a chicken in your pot - good for you.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 12:33 am

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 12:46 am

Wire, I'm torn on the idea of college too. I totally agree that a degree isn't a magic wand, as my oldest son has a degree from UT and is now schlepping baggage on the Amsterdam flight for Northwest. Graduated on the dean's list and is not a partier by any stretch of the imagination...
Still, I don't think my second son will have a chance in hell of getting a decent job without going to college.

SC and I cross on several issues.
What are those issues?
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 1:07 am

1. Degree is NOT a magic wand. I knew plenty of idiots that graduated.
2. Most hiring businesses larger than "brick & mortar" storefronts believe a degeee, any degree, is a sign of commitment. However, commitment and experience mean more (less, if you're fucking crazy and show it).
3. There is a fundamental breakdown in most business H.R. Most Grande-Small to Large corporations have H.R. "people". Most of these "people have degrees of some sort.
4. H.R. heads have degrees, took the course in "New Hires", but are still very predjudiced by the concept of a degree because they have one. H.R. people are a little lower than Project Managers inside the business.
5. People in "Professional" castes with degrees appreciate experience, but are looking for the "some-kind-of-degree" check-box.

I will be holding seminars for "Corporate Tools: How to Get the Job YOU WANT!" at the Marriott bar on Fridays.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 1:24 am

What are those issues?

This probably isn't the place.

About the degree - I'm the world's leading expert on a tiny little bit of stuff that is vitally important to my employer. You can't get a degree in this field because there's almost no market. Any reasonably smart person could do it. What I'm trying to say is that I learned my job by doing my job. What mattered was the chance, and that came from contacts, not from paper.

I don't know how curiosity, opportunity, discipline, expectations, etc mesh. Not everyone can start FedEx. Not everyone wants to.

These thoughts are too big for a Wednesday. Goodnight, and take care.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 4:37 am

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 8:41 am

Pandering? No more so than the rest of his career representing Memphis and his district. I think he has done a pretty good job of representing his constituency, forgoing much of the better interest of his own race and religion.

Tinker is vile. In that televised debate, she reminded me of Sherman Helmsley's daughter on Amen and was about just as good of an actress. She's affecting this ignorant emotion-impassioned persona to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the district. I hope that the majority of her constituency is smarter than that. It's pretty disgusting and it makes me wonder about her true motives for getting elected.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 4:14 pm

Did any of you see the flyer that Tinker had made up? It is her in various pictures, including one of her and Barack Obama. And, she spelled his name Barak Obama. Kinda funny, I think.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 4:19 pm

Understand that the Armenian thing is mostly a test issue for certain members of Congress in districts with big populations of Armenian-Americans (most of them in central/northern California). It's like ethanol subsidies during the Iowa caucus campaigns. Turkey is a very important (though decreasingly reliable) ally, and an increasingly important player in the Middle East and rare ally of Israel. If Cohen were a congressman from Fresno, he would've been on the other side of the issue. But that's neither here nor there.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 4:21 pm

Tinker is vile.

Truer words were never spoken.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 5:11 pm

Did any of you see the flyer that Tinker had made up?

is that the flyer that said "Steve Cohen & the Jews hate Jesus?" apparently that was one going around to the black churches in town a few months ago.

I just wish she would go back to Podunk, Alabama, or wherever she's from.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 5:32 pm | Edited by: saispas

Please give Emily's List a piece of your mind! here and let them know that she is just a front woman for the corporate elite. The list is funneling national dollars to Tinker, and could have paid for the Armeninan dude.

I let them have it. I mean, whatever on that comment. I'd rather have a competent sexist representing me than a racist dilitante.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 6:05 pm

One hour left! Get out and vote for our man in Washington, Steve!
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 6:07 pm

including one of her and Barack Obama. And, she spelled his name Barak Obama. Kinda funny, I think.

Around lunch time, today, MSNBC flashed her pic. Didn't catch what they were saying about her. But they spelled her name, "Tinkert."
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 8:13 pm

U. S. REP., DIST. 9 (D) (13 of 208 Precincts Reporting) ... (6.25%)
STEVE COHEN 19,530 80.57%
JAMES C. GREGORY 84 0.35%
ISAAC RICHMOND 92 0.38%
NIKKI TINKER 4,178 17.24%
JOE TOWNS, JR. 349 1.44%
Write-in 8 0.03%
TOTAL 24,241 100.00%
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 8:47 pm

With 43% of the vote in, it's holding steady at Cohen 80%, Tinker 18%

That's considerably below the 27% predicted by the Crazification Factor, which may indicate that Memphis is actually less crazy than the national average.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 8:52 pm

Actually, my friend Ruby Kissoyan, who graduated White Station with me in 1996, did move to California.

She was born in Lebannon though. :)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®