Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Hey, Bob Mehr...
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:03 am

GREAT article on Chips Moman.
Totally glad you're all writing and stuff in this town.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:19 am

I saw it mentioned someplace that he wrote the liner notes for one of the upcoming Replacements reissues. Way to go.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:23 am

But yet, when I play Don Henley on a jukebox, he gets up and leaves the bar? WTF?!?
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm

First off, Sambeaux, Henley's not my bag. I'm a Frey guy. Now, if you were playing some deep cuts off "The Allnighter" or "No Fun Aloud" ("Partytown" is my primo jam) I'd still be at the bar rocking out.

Thanks Robin. The reaction/responses to the Chips thing were pretty insane. From a pure outsider's perspective it's actually bizarre that the Memphis music "establishment" doesn't play up his success and contributions more. The point of the piece was more to highlight that than rehash any of his failings as businessman or whatever in the '80s.

Thing is, Chips really has that Zelig thing going on. What I couldn't fit in the story was how he got to California as a guitarist in the first place. The way I've heard it, Peggy Lee was playing in Memphis, lost her guitarist and Chips filled in. Then he played out with her the rest of the tour back to L.A. where he hooked up with the Burnette Brothers and later Gene Vincent. And I've heard that he actually took over for James Burton in Ricky Nelson's band briefly. Supposedly, you can see Chips in one of those videos at the end of the Ozzie and Harriet show. That dude made the rounds.

And yeah, I wrote the liners to the forthcoming Rhino reissue of the Replacements "Tim." Should be a cool package -- a great, and much needed, remastering job, plus it's got all the Chilton demos and some unreleased Tommy Ramone session stuff as bonuses.

If anyone's interested, the Replacements story I wrote for SPIN a couple months back is online here:

http://digital.spin.com/spin/200805/?pg=95
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Yes, great article.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Can't wait for the Tim reissue.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey Bob, will you write the liner notes for my "Greatest of Grebo" re-release series on Goner's "Grebo Gold" imprint? I've got Zodiac Mindwarp and PWEI in the que....
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey Bob, will you write the liner notes for my "Greatest of Grebo" re-release series on Goner's "Grebo Gold" imprint? I've got Zodiac Mindwarp and PWEI in the que....

I will, but only if you package all your recordings into a 12-disc box set and allow me to write a hardback book accompanying them.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Hey, while we're throwin' props...

Thanks, Bob for the write-up on the Dex Romweber show.

Greatly appreciated.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Hey, while we're throwin' props...

bob is just plain cool
i luv ya dude
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 4:28 pm

From a pure outsider's perspective it's actually bizarre that the Memphis music "establishment" doesn't play up his success and contributions more.

This is the sad story for so many Memphis writers/producers. It's hard to wade through that Dickinson water. Manning article coming soon Bob?
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 4:30 pm

P.S.- Have you ever talked to Eddie H. at WEVL about Chips? Dude is the walking authority on Moman and TMI!
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Speaking of Chips, I just heard B.J. Thomas "hooked on a feeling," and I wondered if that's Mr. Moman on Coral electric sitar on that tune ...
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Actually I did consult with Eddie Hankins on the Chips piece. He is a walking encylodpedia on all things American. Since I was just doing a basic story about Chips and the situation for a general audience I couldn't really get into the deep stuff as far as the more obscure records that they cut. But they really did it all -- huge pop hits and amazing collector's soul sides. Just an awesome amount of music.

And I know Chips was certainly into the idea of the electric sitar, but I'm pretty sure that's Reggie Youung playing the solo. Now that's another guy whose playing and resume is jaw dropping.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 6:45 pm

I should add that, if memory serves, Reggie played the other equally famous sitar licks on the Box Tops "Cry Like A Baby."
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 7:14 pm

hey Bob, there's an original vinyl copy of that "red hash" record on ebay for only $250.00, but money's a little tight right now. any chance i could still get that cdr?
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Sure, J.B., of course. I've got it here somewhere. Let me try and dig it up.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks for the link, Bob!

I've been wanting to read that fucker for a while.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 9:00 am

I should add that, if memory serves, Reggie played the other equally famous sitar licks on the Box Tops "Cry Like A Baby."

Wrong. It was Ravi Shankar.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 10:11 am

indeed. every sitar and fake sitar you have ever heard on record has been ravi shankar.

some kinda sitar union rule.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 10:27 am

Yes, yes, Ravi Shankar. Or Michael Kollwitz. Are you familair with his work?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4BVz0UoA4RQ

Check out that lick he runs off at :54 --hot!
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 10:29 am

what about that sitar on the union carbide album, ravi?
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 10:31 am

Since we're on the subject,

Dear Hemant,
Sitar/Mandolin project. When?

Your pal,
Dude with the beard
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:31 am

I did consult with Eddie Hankins on the Chips piece.

You should have consulted Richard Martin for the Street Person, er, I mean Man on the Street perspective.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Yes, yes, Ravi Shankar. Or Michael Kollwitz. Are you familair with his work?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4BVz0UoA4RQ

Check out that lick he runs off at :54 --hot!

I am far more excited by the action happening around 1:23.
REAL EFFECT.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Face action around 2:05 is pretty sweet, too.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Posted: Jul 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Tony Levin is the skinny version of the German boxing dude in the first Indiana Jones movie. The dude that gets all fucked up by the plane prop.

Or he could be one of those dudes that rode the big wheel bikes in the 1910's, or whatever.

But anyway, enough about Chips Moman. I stuck around for one Trouble song last night at the Hi Tone. I was fine with my decision.
The new lead singer knelt on the stage and threw newspaper around in a very Robert Plant fashion.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 4:54 pm

Oh yes, I know Tony Levin. He stands atop a musical mountain known as...

Dude With a Chapman Stick:

http://www.dudewithachapmanstick.com/
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm almost positive, and Jack, you may not be aware of this as it dates back to the founding of the Goner Board, that there is a ban on any and all references to "The Stick."
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 7:11 pm

that there is a ban on any and all references to "The Stick."

I've read every inch, sir, you may have to find the lone entry for me. I played with a dude that played a Chapman Stick a few times.
Stick > Eddie Money
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 7:33 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Also known as dude who plays bass with mallets attached to his fingers. Tell them, Jack Stands.

Bob, where the fk did you find that site?????
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 7:42 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Also known as dude who plays bass with mallets attached to his fingers.

I think you meant to say:"The dude who went to a three-string bass, because of dildos who went beyond four strings".
Ooooooh! You can play a 5, 6, or 8-string bass?

Guitarists suck.
Drums and bass hold it all down.
Fuck your extra strings and your vocals and you key ticklers, or whatever it is you do.
Melodies and harmonies are for "soul people with fanny packs".
Pretty much anyone at WEVL.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 9:59 pm

i know a guy with a 12 string bass, and he can play it
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 10:04 pm | Edited by: Wire

Drums and bass hold it all down.

Bulimics let it all out
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®