Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / RIP, Cap'n Pete
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:08 pm | Edited by: street

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jul/16/foul-play-suspected-d eath-wevl-dj-capn-pete/

Memphis homicide detectives are investigating the death of 74-year-old Dee “Cap’n Pete” Henderson, a longtime DJ on WEVL radio, in Southwest Memphis.

While police had not released the name of the victim, WEVL program director Brian Craig confirmed that the victim was Henderson, who hosted a show there for more than two decades.

Henderson was well known for his “Cap’n Pete’s Blues Cruise” program on Friday nights.

Police got a call at 9:20 a.m. today from a man who said he had found his grandfather lying in his backyard in the 1000 block of 1040 Fields.

Homicide investigators believe foul play was involved, but the official cause of death had not been determined.

“He’s one of our longest running programmers, doing shows since 1982. He’s from Clarksdale. He knew the blues first-hand,” Craig said. “Just the nicest guy. Just the finest guy in the world. It was his genuineness and realness that made him so beloved on the air.”
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:39 pm

no FINER man will you EVER meet...what a crying shame that this has happened..it really breaks my heart.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Holy shit. That's horrible. :(
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:08 am

just heard this on the radio. this sucks. this REALLY sucks. Sail on Capn Pete
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:23 am

damn. heard he had died on wevl this am, but didn't know it was foul play. that sucks bad.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:28 am

saw it on the news this morning. that is so sad. isn't this weekend blues on the bluff?? did he have much to do with that??
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:49 am

did he have much to do with that??

he was the emcee since it began...

Sad stuff. I arrived at the studio last night to do my show not knowing what had happened. News people, confusion.

Very sad and very tragic. Pointless...the sweetest man you could ever hope to meet.

Rest In Peace Cap'n.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:53 am

Heard on WEVL this morning that he had been scheduled to MC the big 'Blues on the Bluff' event this Saturday. So sad. RIP Cap’n Pete.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:16 am

RIP, Cap'n Pete. really, really sad.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:22 am

Very sad and very tragic. Pointless...the sweetest man you could ever hope to meet.

Rest In Peace Cap'n.

What he said. I am sick to my stomach this morning.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:25 am

oh jeremy, i thought of you and eric and all ofo you that volunteer at WEVL this morning when i heard. i'm so sorry.

Blues on the bluff will be in his honor!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:29 am

I heard V. R. announce it on the radio last night, but he didn't say anything about the foul play part. I read that in the CA this morning. Horrible.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:42 am

Incredibly sad.
To have lived his life and then go out this way?
There is evil in this world.
To all who knew him personally, my condolences.
I never met him but I felt like I knew him from listening.
Thanks for the stories Cap'n.

I'm going from sad to mad as I type.....
this ain't right...it just ain't right.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 10:12 am

so sad and just awful.
my condolences.
RIP
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 12:50 pm

is saw this in the paper today....it's so, so terrible. RIP
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 1:39 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

He was an incredible DJ that brought not only an AMAZING collection of blues to the airwaves, but was also consummate entertainer and larger than life character. I never realized how psychedelic, dangerous, and far-out blues was until I listened to his show in the early 90's. Our ritual has been cocktails with Cap'n Pete blasting before heading out on Friday night. WEVL on Fridays has been my favorite for years, his show always ended what is among the greatest radio blocks ever programmed. My condolences to all who knew him, and to all of his family members. I hope his killers get no leniency once they are caught. RIP.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 2:53 pm

captain pete's interviews with blues dudes were amazing- trading stories back & forth like old friends, even if they just met.

like rufus thomas, never thought that he wouldn't be there.

RIP.

goddamn.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm

RIP + deepest gratitude to all the sweet old-timers here and gone.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 3:38 pm

R.I.P. Captain Pete
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:22 pm

his show always ended what is among the greatest radio blocks ever programmed

I felt this same way.

and sad and deeply disturbed to hear of this

actually quite infuriated. I hope this tragic murder is resolved

and I'll be listening tonite hoping to hear something...

RIP Cap'n Pete
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:26 pm | Edited by: Buck Wilders

A truly sad day for radio all over the world. He was one of a kind.
http://www.wmctv.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&cli pFormat=flv&clipId1=2700864&at1=News&h1=Disc Jockey Killed (7-16-08)
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Such a horrible, horrible shame. RIP Cap'n Pete.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:24 pm

bullshit!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Why?
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Tonight's show's been nice. I've been told that WEVL does have an archive of Cap'n Pete's shows and will start airing "The Best Of Cap'n Pete's Blues Cruise" starting next friday.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 4:56 pm

from WEVL- Blues on the Bluff tonite in honor of Cap'n Pete:

Please come, and please sign our guestbook at http://wevl. org with your memories and thoughts about our beloved Dee "Cap'n Pete" Henderson. It will mean so much to his family--and all of us at WEVL.

WEVL's 20th Annual Blues on the Bluff® features a fabulous line-up of music: The Bo-Keys, with original Memphis soul men Skip Pitts, Ben Cauley, and John Gary Williams - 7:30-8:15 & 8:25-9:10; Blind Mississippi Morris & The Pocket Rockets, with blues harp legend Morris Cummings- 9:25-10:10 & 10:20-11; and the hypnotic Hill Country blues of Robert "Wolfman" Belfour, 6:30-7:15.

Gate opens at 6 pm, $15 adults, $8 kids under 12.
All proceeds go to WEVL.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 7:01 pm

grandson arrested

Wow! That's hard to believe. He looks like such an angel in that picture.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:39 am

I forgot I had these from Blues on the Bluff in Aug 06...

I briefly met Cap'n Pete and was mesmerized. Plus, I loved that truck and chickened out of taking photos of it with him sitting so close by.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®