Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / thinking of moving to memphis...
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:30 am

... from chicago.

should i?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:33 am

I like Memphis just fine - been here 20 years, but I wouldn't move here from Chicago.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:52 am

how come?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 11:19 am

the economy; getting a job... stuff like that

memphis is fantastic in an undefinable way
chicago is a world class city as good as or better culturally in many ways than NYC or LA --
i'd live in either place IF
- memphis had a job that would pay me what i'm used to earning OR
if chicago's traffic didn't blow dead bears and if the city wasn't full of 45 of my conservative old world relatives

--- what do you do hammer - for work that is?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 11:32 am

Don't move from Chicago to here. Chicago is my second favorite city in this country and the move would definitely be a life downgrade.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 11:36 am

As much as I love Memphis and having grown up there and lived most of my life there, I'd have to say if I could afford Chicago, I'd stay and just visit Memphis a LOT.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:08 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

I fucking hate Chicago, I lived there for 5 years and it fucking sucks ass. I fucking hate the people, the sports teams and their douchebag legions of fans, the boring repetitive architecture and neighborhoods, the lame fucking bands and musical genres that it fostered (post rock, pop punk, 4th wave or whatever ska), fuck Chicago.

That said, I love Memphis. It's not New Orleans though. If I were you, I'd move to New Orleans. Theresa's right, depends on what skills you have and whether or not you have a car. Memphis is a lot cheaper than Chicago and New Orleans too.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

p.s. I hope Chicago gets nuked.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:10 pm

p.p.s. My parents living there notwithstanding.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:11 pm

WOW, good one sam
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:12 pm

Chicago is an amazing city! Why leave?

I recently moved to Memphis from the San Francisco Bay Area and LOVE it... However, as mentioned by others above, moving to Memphis from a major metro area is a tough transition unless you've got a great job lined up and are truly looking for a change in your quality of life.

I was lucky enough to find a great job opportunity in the Memphis area before moving. I couldn't afford to buy a house in SF or, for that matter, rent a decent house/apartment of my own even though I was making over $80k a year there. I'm too damn old to live in a tiny flat with multiple roommates. So, for me, the economics of moving out of California made sense. And my Mom lives near Nashville, so that was a factor in my decision.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:14 pm

p.p.p.s. FUCK ARMAN TOO!!!
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 12:23 pm

i need a roomate.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Chicago is great, but that winter sucks sucks sucks. It was cheap when I lived there; certainly the cheapest huge metro area I'd ever lived in. Oh yeah, it is dirty. Yeah, you can SAY Memphis is dirty, but Chicago is dirtier. I'd say live in Memphis and visit Chicago. If you can get a decent job you'll be able to afford a house and multiple trips out of town to get your "cultural" (read: commercial) needs fixed.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:37 pm

what do you do hammer - for work that is?

nothing right now. i used to work in a sushi restaurant, now i'm trying to find an office job.

i guess i am tired of living in a "world class city"... i moved here 2 years ago to go to the fart institute, which i left last year and will never go back to. i liked the anonymity when i was just in school, but now i am trying to get two bands started and i've found it really difficult to do without feeling like i'm trying to "make it" or some shit. does anyone know what i mean?

i guess i'd like to live in a place that is small enough for there to be more of a community. also, i have an urge to move to the south after a few really fun visits there, and it's where my boyfriend lives.

is it exceptionally hard to get a job in memphis? because in my experience it's been a bitch in chicago.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:39 pm

If I were you, I'd move to New Orleans.

i've thought about this too.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Move to Grand Rapids, MI. There's an art school here.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:48 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

trying to find an office job

Might be more difficult in Memphis, a real good friend of mine had little trouble finding "office jobs" in Chicago with an English degree and no other real skills. Memphis doesn't seem to have as much unspecialized corporate opportunities as Chicago does. With restaraunt experience, and the added speciality of sushi restaurant experience, you could probably make a living here off of that for a while until you got enough resumes out. Hard to tell with the way the economy is going.

The south roolz! I don't think I could live in any other part of this country (and I'm originally a yankee).

I found Chicago especially shitty to be in a band that didn't have any "friend bands" with members that would come to your shows when no one else would (which was all the time).

New Orleans is pretty expensive right now. I wouldn't go unless you had a solid job lined up with a good (& cheap) place to live.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:29 pm | Edited by: Wire

A friend of mine moved to Chicago from Memphis about two months ago. He's still looking for a job and is considering moving back at the end of the month.
I actually thought you might be him when you first posted.

I've never been to Chicago but I moved here from Dallas in late 2000 and haven't looked back. I really enjoy living in Memphis.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:59 pm

is it exceptionally hard to get a job in memphis?

No. If you have restaurant experience and you actively get motivated to get hired instead of waiting around asking people if there are jobs while you get drunk somewhere, you will be fine. Especially if you have specialized experience and are coming from somewhere else that has a more recognized "food scene" than Memphis. It really piques people's interests. Good luck in your decision making! I am from here, have lived in world-class cities and dumps alike and am relieved to be home. It is great here.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 3:36 pm

yes! a great idea -and you can still have the shitty winters you are accustomed to in Chicago.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 5:09 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

In pricey places like LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, etc.,so many people get stuck in a post-college financial struggle (often while making well over $100K per year) because real estate is indexed by the large numbers of people earning well over $350K and their willingness to completely max out all available credit lines. You can get ahead easier in a cheap city.

I am against paying a price premium to live in a cool city. Cities like that also have a higher per capita of annoying yuptards and hipsters. Be prepared for being in a backwater place with a large dose of in-your-face political corruption if you move to Memphis. I recommend looking into Chattanooga, Knoxville, John son City, and Birmingham unless your set on Memphis.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 5:17 pm

I recommend looking into Chattanooga, Knoxville, John son City, and Birmingham unless your set on Memphis.

I recommend looking into all of those "cities" if you want to be bored out of your skull.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 6:17 pm

that's kind of what i want to avoid.

Cities like that also have a higher per capita of annoying yuptards and hipsters.

exactly!

so far memphis sounds pretty much like i'd expected/hoped...
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 6:29 pm

I recommend looking into all of those "cities" if you want to be bored out of your skull.

i've hit a period in my life where i don't mind being bored out of my skull. With the exception of birmingham, i'd live in any of those cities over memphis.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm | Edited by: jerryd

i've hit a period in my life where i don't mind being bored out of my skull. With the exception of birmingham, i'd live in any of those cities over memphis.

Let me double-post and correct myself- i DO mind being bored and i feel that many of the activities i have come to enjoy the last few years would be more enjoyable in the cities mentioned above.

That and i don't care to live in memphis anymore.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Do you own or can you operate a gun?
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Do you own or can you operate a gun?

ha!
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Kidding sorta. I love Memphis. C'mon down.
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Yeah, you gotta love a city whose crime is so bad they have a lifetime contract with "The First 48"
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Cities like that also have a higher per capita of annoying yuptards and hipsters.
Oh, we have our fair share for sure.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:09 am

... from chicago.

should i?

NO!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 8:55 am

I recommend looking into Chattanooga, Knoxville, John son City, and Birmingham unless your set on Memphis.
I dunno, Memphis has more than it's share of crime, but things are getting bad everywhere. I take an online course from UTK and every week or two I get a public safety email about armed robberies on campus, UM doesn't have that rate of crime.
And the big crime/trial going on in Knoxville over the last year or so concerns a kidnapping/rape/murder/mutilation of a young couple out on a date by a bunch of thugs, completely random. I'd rather live with my guard up than with false senses of security.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:00 am | Edited by: saispas

I just got back here after being in a bored out of my skull type place and I am loving it. I don't get out all the time, but we live in close proximity to our family place on the river in Arkansas, so we can get to nature FAST. And there is enough going on here to keep anyone interested unless they expect the electric jolt of an NYC.

Everyone has an opportunity to leave anyplace when they are over it; it doesn't mean it sucks for everyone else. Saying that, I am bored out of my skull in Knoxville (lived there for eons), could never imagine living in Chattanooga unless I suddenly was interested in hanging out with lawyers named Chip at microbreweries who were sending their boys to McCallie and well, Johnson City, NO f'ing way. My grandfather retired up that way (Greeneville) and while gorgeous, again, my grandfather retired up that way. Nuf sed...just not that ready for it. But, yeah, my opinion again.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:29 am

so where were you before chicago?

i l o v e chicago
in june!
thats about it because it gets too too cold for me there

and the south is the best
if you prefer a slower pace
and folks callin' you honeysugardarlin' (i love this)

new orleans is especially delightful
but since katrina unfortunately also extremely pricey

chattanooga is a cute little town
actually a rather progressive one
with the international atlanta influence
but to me
more of a family place
if youre ready to settle

austin is charming as well

right now memphis is full of homes to buy
because of the wonky market
rental prices are steep though
over 1000 for a decent 3bed

best...
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 9:29 am

i used to work in a sushi restaurant
now i am trying to get two bands started and i've found it really difficult to do without feeling like i'm trying to "make it" or some shit. does anyone know what i mean?

Memphis is a great place to work at a restaurant and be in a band, I moved here from NY for similar reasons and have never looked back.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:20 am

If you like a bankrupt city, a two system government joke, corrupt politicians, the highest crime in the country, the highest personal bankruptcy in the country, lots of trash, etc., then Memphis is for you.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:35 am

I want to "MAKE IT" with you..
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 12:11 pm

hey baby, i know this great little out of the way place in Cordova
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 12:35 pm

i know this great little out of the way place in Cordova

The Department of Redundancy Department strikes again!
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 1:55 pm

I have plenty of fun in all three cities, but I don't bore easily. All of those cities have A LOT going on minus of a rockin' music scene, like decent economies, lower crime, and easy access to wilderness. For hard-core music types, Memphis is the place.

Hammer, you already know you're next move. Good luck.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:20 pm

If you like a bankrupt city, a two system government joke, corrupt politicians, the highest crime in the country, the highest personal bankruptcy in the country, lots of trash, etc., then Memphis is for you.
Don't forget raging poverty, ultra-tense race relations, and a sucky school system!

That said, Memphis is centrally located and has a relatively cheap cost of living. You can be a total slacker here and still pay your rent.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:23 pm

The only way to "Make it" is to record at Rocket Science.
Jesus told me.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Funny; I was just about to say the same thing about Birmingham! Birmingham sucks... It's like Memphis, but without all the great music & that cool creative vibe.

If you're wanting to move to the South and looking for a job, I STRONGLY suggest you check into Greenville, South Carolina. The job market there remains strong, while everywhere else it is sucking some major wind.

How hard is it to get a job in Memphis?

Well, The Pony is always looking for fresh talent. How well can you balance?
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Oh, we have our fair share for sure.

Birmingham is crawling with those too. They'll run you over on the highway faster than a homey can pull his nine to bust a cap in yo ass... The area in B'ham where salaries are the highest also reports the most traffic accidents in the state.

I just had surgery on a broken neck caused by a yuptard who was too preoccupied with his cellphone and reaching into his floorboard in order to watch the road. My car received a yuptard suppository - and I am now physically impaired the rest of my life.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 5:13 pm

If you're wanting to move to the South and looking for a job, I STRONGLY suggest you check into Greenville, South Carolina. The job market there remains strong, while everywhere else it is sucking some major wind.

Charlotte is not a bad choice either. Nice folks. Lots of office jobs in the banking industry. Growing population. Not much of a music scene though, far as I know.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 5:44 pm

it's not that bad here. like miss faye said, you can be a total slacker and still pay the rent. the cost of living is really cheap. if you don't mind having a couple of roommates, you can definitely get by living in a really nice spot for 300-400 a month rentwise. in a house. with a yard. you pretty much are going to have to have a car to get around unless you live and work in midtown (where all the shows are). then you could probably get by with having a bike. having a gun in the house and carrying pepper spray will help you sleep easier at night. (just sayin' you can't be too careful around these parts).

there's terrific food around here. the people are pretty friendly (usually) and even though there are some stupid hipster fucks, you can pretty much generally avoid them by not going to annoying hipster band shows. the job market is pretty sucky around here for office jobs, but you can get your foot in the door doin temp shit.

i've lived in several diff. cities in my life and i consider memphis to really be my home. even though it has its downside for sure, if you're into music and havin a good time, memphis is definitely a good spot. if you're lookin for a spot to raise kids, i would probably turn my attention elsewhere. but it sounds like you're innit for the former so, i would say go for it.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 11:48 pm

so where were you before chicago?

i have lived in a few different places, i was born in NYC and moved to nashville when i was 10, then to cleveland when i was 15. i used to hate the south (and i still hate nashville) because i had such a terrible time there, but ages 10-15 are a terrible time anywhere.

a couple weeks ago i thought of moving back to cleveland for the first time ever... but that place is depressing as shit, way worse than chicago in the wintertime.

Hammer, you already know you're next move. Good luck.

seems like i do! and thanks!
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:30 am

The only way to "Make it" is to record at Rocket Science.
Jesus told me.

Amen.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:32 am

what is rocket science?
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:57 am

it's the local gay bar
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 7:44 am

it's not that bad here.

Thank you.

Sometimes you just have to experience somewhere else to see the many benefits of a place. And I suppose that being said, this place isn't for everyone and the things that are frustrating can wear a person down. But one of the frustrating things is the incessant Memphis bashing. It is hard to speak in Memphis' defense against all the grumbling. While the problems warrant complaint, the bitching and moaning gets really tiresome just because at some point you just wanna throw your hands up and say, "So OK, whatever, this place sucks" because you get treated like Pollyanna if you have a positive approach at times.

I love it here. Every place has something/many things fucked up about it. Sure it could be a lot better, but it fits for me right now.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 8:41 am

. But one of the frustrating things is the incessant Memphis bashing.

Stating facts aren't bashing a city. Theres a lot of crime, corrupt government, VERY high property taxes, and so on and so on. I don't think any of us that want to leave are so much bashing the city, it's just that most of us have been here all our lives and would like something new. I don't see anything wrong there. Smaller town with some acreage is what i'm about these days.

While the problems warrant complaint, the bitching and moaning gets really tiresome

You're joking, right? There are people on this board that don't do anything but complain about things going on in this town. Constantly.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 9:33 am

Very high property taxes? I hear this all the time, and I don't really buy it. I'm going to check into it...

My combined city and county tax rate is 7.4732%.
According to a quick read of "Metropolitan Areas" at Effective Property Tax Rates (first result found googling average property tax rate, the low, high and avg tax rate for the sampled areas are 2.48%, 26.43%, and 11.49%.

So, for the areas sampled, Memphis is rather low.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:27 am | Edited by: saispas

I understand where you are coming from, jerryd, and I agree (read other posts regarding leaving somewhere and checking out other places...that is all I have done my entire adult life). However, I am not talking about just "stating facts", I am talking about stating facts, then maybe exagerrating and generalizing a lot and then generally talking about how shitty Memphis is in a snarly way and maybe even question and ridicule other peoples' decision to live here and oh wow, even try to believe things could improve.

That is what I am talking about. And it happens all the time. And it always has.

And I still reserve my rights to occaisionally complain about a bad pizza or inattentive service at a restaurant on this board!
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:40 am

what is rocket science?
it's the local gay bar

It's a studio, but it is sandwiched nicely between two gay bars.
It is a gay bar when bruce shows up, though.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:42 am

just trying to "make it"
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:43 am | Edited by: Will

Memphis is a lot cheaper than ... New Orleans too.

damn. did not know that...

I like memphis. I moved here 9 years ago with absolutely no intention of staying, but i did and i like it fine. it's stupid cheap, lots of good folks, and it's "cool." that said, I'm with jerryd, I'm at the point now where I'd just as soon live in some of the other TN citites listed above. I can't say I've spent a lot of time in Knoxville, but according to Salary.com, it's the only other "city" (besides Huntsville, AL) in the southeast where you can make slightly more for a comparable career and the cost of living is slightly less compared Memphis. Johnson City, Knoxville, & Chattanooga have preferrable geographic features in my opinion. Also, the violent crime rates are negligible compared to Mem. Food for thought.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 11:59 am

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Jack Stands--

Officially looking at houses...my range is leading us OUT of Midtown. Natch Berclair is everywhere. Any particularly attractive streets? Attractive for relatively "safe" living and cute houses, not attractive for drug sales and/or prostitutes.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:46 pm

I've got 2 bedrooms, a office with skylight, half bath with shower in my master bedroom with 2 closets, big back yard, huge den, 3 blocks from Audubon park for $800. To the north, $150K+ houses. To the South and West, GETWELL RD.

Always 2 blocks from high society and two blocks from the ghetto in this piece.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Im tellin you over here on Humes(runs between Poplar and Lombardy) there are several for sale. Its a little pocket neighborhood that runs up the side of Grisantis just over the Poplar overpass heading east. There are streets that run off of Humes as well Natchez, Iroquois, Larchmont etc. In the $100k's. Check it out.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 1:09 pm

To the north, $150K+ houses. To the South and West, GETWELL RD.

Yeah, this is Colonial Acres where we are talking tons of small boxes and ranches for cheapola. I am kinda getting into the idea. I am on a tight budget and can't go over 100K and prefer to stay around 95K, which is possible over there for the little boxes. We ain't got no kids, so those are fine with us. Most have great back yards too.

I will check out Humes too, Colin. People are so desperate right now, who knows what these places will actually sell for.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Yeah...and its not as far east as Colonial Acres. Colonial Acres is out at like Park/Mendenahll area, like back behind the Memphis Pizza cafe on Park. The area west of Getwell out by the university is Robinhood and its rough as hell. I think Nigel must live off Rhodes back behind the Universoty Of Memphis South campus. There are some ok homes back there to rent, Im not so sure about buying though. Let me know If I can be of any help.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Saispas, i just did a foreclosure on jackson right across the street from Rhodes. It's a duplex, but with one side considerably larger than the other. A LOT larger. Like small house size large.

You could buy it and rent out the other side. Pretty smart move.

It does need work, but would be a great buy considering you can make most of the note up by renting out the smaller side.

Just sayin...
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 3:15 pm

The house next door to me is still vacant. It needs some cosmetic work inside (okay..all new paint) but it's a pretty large house and he's asking $80K as is.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 5:47 pm

i just did a foreclosure on jackson right across the street from Rhodes. It's a duplex, but with one side considerably larger than the other. A LOT larger. Like small house size large.

That area is ripe for incremental gentrification. It goes from nice professor homes to serious ghetto as soon as you cross over N Trezvent.

There are deals all over the county as long as you realize it's a bear market, so buy 10-30% below comps in most areas. FYI, the benchmark for a standard 3br/2ba house is $750-850 a month in non-ghetto, not overly desirable areas. Most of the $1000 dollar a month listings in those areas are greedy landlords or investors that made a bad buy.
Posted: Jul 18, 2008 10:57 pm

saispas
theres a cute little 2 bed
at 220 marne
for 109
and its been on the market a while
so im sure theyd go down for you
http://www.crye-leike.com/main/browsedetail.php?addrmls=220+marne&mgrp =13&ln=1&tid=memphis&mlsnum=3136372
its between east parkway and highland & poplar and central
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 9:21 am

must live off Rhodes back behind the Universoty Of Memphis South campus.

You are correct sir.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 10:58 am

That area is ripe for incremental gentrification. It goes from nice professor homes to serious ghetto as soon as you cross over N Trezvent.

I live in the block right before you get to N. Trezevant. I've lived here for twenty years, and the neighborhood is pretty stable. There have been several homes on the block for sale recently, though. One of which a gentrified Arkansas guy bought and fixed up pretty damned nice. He also owns the vacant house next to me, and is going to do the same sooner or later. Right now the as is price is a good deal. He bought both of the houses for a song after the long time residents died.
Also, my nice yup friends that live in Hein Park just bought one down the block from me and are fixing it up for their son in Rhodes and his roommates.
So, you're right, uptight. I'm going to sell my house in four years, so I hope the trend continues on this block of Jackson.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:08 am

I sent you a link, saispas.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:12 am

saispas, there's tons of cool stuff in New Spain for cheap. Even on my street.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 12:13 pm

This duplex is pretty much at the corner of University and Jackson. Pretty nice area.
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 2:43 pm

If you move to Memphis, the Elvis Prestly blvd. area is a neat place to live.

Do you cook meth?
Posted: Jul 19, 2008 5:13 pm

I know nobody wants to live there, but the neighborhood immediately behind Graceland is actually pretty nice. Total late 50's Brady Bunch style ranches. I have no idea what they go for.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Saispas, there's an owner/agent on our street that's been on the market for over a year. He started way too high for this street and scared any buyers off. Anyhow, he's come down considerably last time I checked and would be wise to consider offers. I think once the market picks back up, this area will return to being a wise investment. Here's a link: http://www.kendallhaney.com/mls.php (669 Maury). Looks like he did a great job too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 10:53 pm

the corner of University and Jackson. Pretty nice area.

i spent a couple months exactly there.... except for that one crazy crackhead shooting a lady in the head on university (memphis weirdo described this somewhere) it IS a beautiful and safe as you can get in memphis neighborhood. i felt safe enough to walk to alisa's one late afternoon even
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 11:13 pm

note: by law, owner/agents havce to include 1 year home shield deal when they sell their homes... came in handy for the crap that broke immediately in my house.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 9:05 am

Here's a link: http://www.kendallhaney.com/mls.php (669 Maury). Looks like he did a great job too.

I looked at this house last year and (you're right Miss Faye) thought it was priced WAY too high. The pictures make it look fab and more appealing than it is in real life. It needs interior cosmetic work to address some of the "upgrades" and the rooms are small/odd/dark, but the price listed now has been reduced by about $17k since May '07 and I bet you could make an offer. The neighborhood's pretty great!
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 9:18 am

WOW! Thanks everybody! We were in Arkansas grilling out and being river rats for 3 days so I forgot I was even trying to do this mess. I don't know how far down people would be willing to go at this point and I'd ideally like to cheap out as much as possible (see 95K MAX) but getting a house that doesn't need tons and tons of work either. Also, I'd like a halfway decent block as well.

I gots to get some work done but I'll check back through at all the tips later today.

I know nobody wants to live there, but the neighborhood immediately behind Graceland is actually pretty nice. Total late 50's Brady Bunch style ranches

Met my first beau at a pool party at one of these houses. AWWW.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 9:19 am

"the crap that broke"--true dat brotha...it's almost clockwork..you watch neighbors move in across the street 2 weeks later..roto rooter is in their driveway...a month later the electrician shows up...2 months later a plumber...then the real doozie..the terra cotta outline has to be replaced..
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®