Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 9:32 am

Who has been to their brunch? Verdict?
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 2:35 pm

I have! Its great! My favorite is the poached egg (the chef's sometimes change up ingeredients so if your dead set on barley check with the waiter to make sure- its good with rice too). Or the Buddah's Breakfast. They know how to fry some tofu and poach an egg. Mimosas top it off. Or if they have Morimoto on tap that shit is good.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 2:36 pm

*ingredients*
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Support your local business owners. High quality ingredients & the chef accomadates vegan & vegitarian diners. Excellent wine list & the best beer.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Oh don't worry--every comment I have heard has been that the place is stellar. I can't wait to go after seeing their menu.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 12:47 pm

it's totally fantastic. i had a scallop dish in a banana leaf with some curry and rice and veggies. so so so so good. the sushi was great too as were the mussels.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 2:18 pm

I've been the last 2 Sundays - great stuff. The fried rice omelette is on point.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 4:13 pm

what kind of $$$ are we talking for Sun brunch?
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 7:57 pm

$$$
the flyer rates restaurant prices with that $ symbol range (1$ cheapest and 4$s the expensivest). coffee shops and diners are usually $.
Umai is $$

I think brunch prices are around 8 to 12 bucks- poached egg and the steak and potato brunches are 10 or 12. the cost of sushi seems about comparable in price to what you would expect from the usual sushi outlets.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 8:00 pm

I think we'll go this Sunday. It sounds fantastic.
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 8:07 pm

sweet! I hope you enjoy it!
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 2:41 pm

I think we'll go this Sunday. It sounds fantastic.

If you show up early, you might miss miss linda,which I would probably reccomend.

The rice omlette is better than it sounds, and the Budda is TO DIE FOR MISS GIRLFRIEND!!!!

Check out the dinner menu! I think Ken's about to change it.
I know yall is into seafood, and he gossit, but the grandma salad (with duck) is really worth trying!!!

Tell Andy or Stephanie you only want a spash of O.J. in your momosas, oh yeah...... check out the dishwasher! OOH LA LA!!!!
(they'll probably read this)
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 2:47 pm

the best beer.

This is an out & out LIE

Shlitz Malt Liquor is sold by the can at 12 noon next door.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 3:24 pm

haven't brunched, but did the sushi a couple of weeks ago. very nice.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 4:01 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Nice & FANCY. The lunch menu is the same shit! He's real persnikety about freshness & quality. He's probaly got the best qualty sushi (during lunch) in east,mid-town, & down town mermfris.
No joke.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 5:20 pm

It would not be a Sunday Brunch in Midtown without that society queen, Miss Linda! I am intrigued by a rice omelet and you'll never have to twist my arm to try duck...one of the best.
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 4:02 pm

DELICIOUS!!!

Got the poached egg/english muffin/barley thing. Coffee is good and strong. Next up will be the rice omelet... totally reasonable prices and crazy original.
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 1:24 pm | Edited by: miss linda

totally reasonable prices and crazy original.

The food critic(forgot who it was) said that the only reason Ken didn't get 4 stars(he deserves) is because of the lazy wait staff.
He fired "him" (Jason shall remain nameless) the very next day.
kung-fu ken ain't afraid of firing nobody nothing not never(quadrupal negative!!!).

The ambience(sp) is the only thing lacking at UMAI!
Everyone that works there is at least an "8" on a scale of "10", and I think that more than makes up alot more for ambiance.
Even Miss Lina's a "5 & 1/2".
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 1:40 pm

I've had a crush on two of the recent hires ken picked for over 10 years!

Now it's even more fun to go to UMAI!

Thank you KEN!!
Posted: Jul 13, 2008 2:51 pm

D-Lushus!
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Gonerfest brunch? Who's down?
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 8:21 pm

moi!
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 9:12 pm

moi aussi! time?
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 12:03 pm

time?

Brunch time? Are they open Saturdays? What's the deal Memphians?
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 12:15 pm

brunch in memphis translates to sundays usually. and most of the time, it's 10am to 2pm, although some establishments go til 3.
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 2:51 pm

I wanna say the brunch at Umai is later...
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, I'll let you guys figure it out, as Umai doesn't have a website. Let me know!
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 4:37 pm

Brunch at Umai officially starts at 12:00 on Sundays, and lasts until all you hungover fags hang arround (9:00 p.m.). I'll be working there friday night, and will more than likely roll-up at HIGH noon on Sunday. The food is GREAT. The staff is GREAT. The BOOZE......... is expensive. That's why Ken has reasonably priced, high quality, draft beer.
For us po folk.

I hate "Brunch Food", but you gotta' try this stuff out!!
He even has a "Budda" for us veg heads (includes Kim Chee!!!)
Steak & Eggs!
The Rice omlette tastes 10x better than it sounds
I honesly canot think of a brunch that a gonner would want to go to except the "Barksdale", but I gues that's for the "straight-laced, countny breakfast croud".
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 4:41 pm

I like the "benedict"...on barley and veggies!!! So damn great.
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 9:13 pm

The Rice omlette tastes 10x better than it sounds

That omelet is nuts! loved it!

When I went there, they stayed open at least till 4, so if you're a lazy bum like me, you can make it.
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 7:41 am

I'm posting this shit in the food forum.
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 10:59 am

Have fun. I'll be at Bryant's!!!
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 11:46 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®