Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Urban Farming
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 3:04 pm

www.urbanfarming.org

The director of this is really interested in starting this up in Memphis. Any ideas of whom I should connect her with? I think it is an awesome idea, esp. for those blighted lots around Foote Homes. Basically the city pays for water for a determinate period of time (if not forever) and the neighborhood tends the gardens. Unwanted food goes to the Food Bank. Anyone who lives in the neighborhood can take the food directly from the gardens, even if they aren't tending them.
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Wasn't that Children of the Corn 4?
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 6:47 am

Perhaps. Not one for serials.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 8:32 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

I wonder where the run-off goes. There was something in the flyer within the past year about how the city was going to sell off little parcels of land so they didn't have to mow the grass (like the triangle of land opposite Zinnie's West) -the city dept. involved with that would probably be the people to get in touch with. Basically though, I think the responsible thing would be to get a local Civil (Environmental) Engineer involved.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am

Mary Cashiola at the Flyer wrote about it last week, so I am asking her through her blog. It looks like the org likes to partner with agencies like MIFA and churches in the areas to start the projects with kids already signed up for volunteer work and adults invested in improving the community. And who says no to free food? I always see little gardens in those neighborhoods that the older people tend anyway...
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 9:41 am

jacob's ladder cdc has an urban garden in the Beltline neighborhood (east of the fairgrounds).

midsouth peace & justice center runs a few too

http://www.midsouthpeace.org/growmemphis.html
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 10:34 am

I wish I had a good contact for you, but I don't. The City of Memphis and Shelby County Planning Departments, Parks Departments and any city or county department or local non-profit having to do with air quality, community health and/or greenspace initiatives SHOULD be interested in this but, the best resource would more likely be an interested non-profit 501(c)3 as the local government is unlikely to take on any new spending that isn't matched by private monies to start ANY new project.

This kind of thing is a hot topic. I went to the national planning conference recently where Sibella Kraus, president of SAGE (Sustainable Agriculture Education) and former employee/co-conspirator of foodie godess Alice Waters, spoke about New Ruralism and it completely blew my mind.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks so much! I forwarded the Jacob's Ladder and Mid South Peace and Justice stuff to her. It might make more sense for them to partner with established gardens here and then show them their "tactics" that have been successful all over the place before trying to tackle crazy Memphis government, as you say, Gina!
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 8:38 pm

I've been growin habeneros, cayenne peppers, tomatos an squash in my back yard.

Urban yo!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®