Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Christ Kroger!!!
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 5:43 pm

A little 2 oz jar of pine nuts for $3.79?!?!??! I had to do it cos I have a plan for pesto and didn't know another close by option...Schnuck's woulda been $15.

Does Jerusalem sell the nuts of pine?
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 7:55 pm

that i don't know...
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 8:00 pm

After checking my receipt a little while ago, that 2 oz jar was actually $6.59. Oh my god.
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 8:10 pm

the only remotely affordable place to purchase pine nuts is a wholesale club i.e. costco or sam's club. but I prefer my method of finding a grocery store that sells them as a bulk seed and accidentally labeling them as sunflower seeds. $1.99 a pound.
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 8:20 pm

Miss Linda has a trick of picking through the buffet for high dollar items and filling up there. I think they don't put a lot of nice stuff out at the buffet anymore, though.
Posted: Jun 8, 2008 8:26 pm

but I prefer my method of finding a grocery store that sells them as a bulk seed and accidentally labeling them as sunflower seeds. $1.99 a pound.

i do that too. works best when you use the self-check-out lanes at kroger or where ever you shop that has a self-check out lane
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 9:49 am

that 2 oz jar was actually $6.59
Yeah, I thought $3.79 sounded "reasonable." You could use pecans?
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 2:01 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Miss Linda has a trick of picking through the buffet for high dollar items and filling up there.
I was kidding, I don't really do that.

I eat cereal (brand new flavors of special K, and Captian Crunch Peanutbutter) with skim milk, I hate all chinese buffet crap.

It seems that all these folks on the gonner board eat a bunch of garbage because in their youth they were blessed with a super-fast metabolism, and refuse to change. ,

BOLOGNA & CHEESE SANDWICHES FOR ALL YOU FAT ASSES!
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 3:08 pm

one time i ate a handful of pinenuts and just before i swallowed them a co worker alerted me on the fact that they were infested with maggots. i cried and then i never ate one again. 'can barely even eat the pesto that doesn't have them. ick.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 3:14 pm

you can make pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts and achieve a similar flavor -- that nice, oily, smooth texture. walnuts are about $6 per pound
i buy them in bulk
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 3:48 pm

They probably do, but you can always use sliced almonds instead. Thats what we used to use back in the day at the OG Squash Blossom for our pesto.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 4:34 pm

how do you balance out the inherent sweetness and ur-marzipan taste of ground up almonds? i'd love to know because i do love almonds
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 4:55 pm

I love dudes I've never met before sticking their nuts in my mouth!
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 7:43 pm

I was considering the walnuts option but was so overwhelmed by the utter insanity of the Poplar Plaza Kroger that I just wanted OUT. I even went though the UScan with at least 25 items (15 item limit) to avoid the lines. How the HELL do people afford a massive cart filled to the brim and then some???
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 8:21 pm

Uhhhh...
I got three boys. 1/4 cart on this past Saturday mid afternoon (I NEVER go on Saturday...ususally Sunday morn, helps with the insanity factor) and spent $150. Actually, that's kind of a light week.
Pine nuts are out of my budget.
It's ridiculous. Really, that's just enough to feed us for five days.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 8:39 pm

How the HELL do people afford a massive cart filled to the brim and then some???

because they eat some shit that you wouldn't even think about feeding to your dog. overprocessed bullshit food.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 8:51 pm

a quarter cart of un overprocessed non bullshit food was $150.
Seriously, meat, chicken, vegetables, juices and dogfood. Like, Purina dogfood you're actually supposed to feed to your dog.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 8:57 pm

Pine nuts are just expensive as hell. I don't know if it's just around here or what. They also have 20 grams of fat per 1/3 cup ...
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 9:12 pm

They also have 20 grams of fat per 1/3 cup ...

but a "serving" of pesto is like 2 tablespoons...
someone else can do the math
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 9:34 pm

I didn't read any of this, but the Saint candles are on the "ethnic food" aisle.
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 9:42 pm

but a "serving" of pesto is like 2 tablespoons...

And I typically use about 1/4 cup of them and 2 TBS of pesto is about right. Plus I could give a shit about fat in my food--makes it good. They are expensive everywhere, but that particular jar was truly overpriced. Also, that Kroger doesn't sell Carr Water Crackers. I bought Wheatsworth for my Saint Andre (also full of fat), which they did sell. Go figure!
Posted: Jun 9, 2008 10:31 pm

I would try fresh market -- all though everything else in there is expensive, they've got ziplocs of remarkably cheap spices and nuts on an end cap...
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 10:03 am

A ziploc baggie of pine nuts at Fresh Market is 24.99 a lb. That's a little over 1.50 an oz., I think. 1/4 cup of pine nuts is about an oz., too, right? 'just under maybe?
I think Andria's right. Getting pine nuts Fresh Market isn't as cheap as substituting or bait-n-switching, but it's cheaper than the other stores.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 10:16 am

Groceries have gotten completely insane all around. Jerry went shopping with me (I usually go by myself) and was shocked at how expensive things were. For all but a few things, I may try shopping at the ethnic places to see if that helps. They don't seem to try to stick it to you like the big stores do.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 10:36 am

shopping at the ethnic places to see if that helps

i have no idea why they are cheaper.
i am wondering if they are the gray market equivalent of food
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:13 am

I am gonna have to end up shopping at several differnt places to get my needs met in Memphis--at least it is forever entertaining!

Has anyone ever gotten the 2% milk from Easy Way? It tastes so milky that it scares me about what I've been drinking.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 11:17 am

jerusalem would have to have them...if they don't, i know the meditterranean market on park does. bought 'em there before.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 12:43 pm

organic milk from fresh market (kids plus its really really tasty)
chicken from kroger (supposedly no drugs sanderson farms)
produce from easy way/fresh market/kroger
meat from costco (rare)
fish? nowhere though wild oats/whole foods looks better now
cheese from mantias/wildoats/wholefoods
seafood and asian staples viet hoa
rest-schnuck's

the good stuff (beef and fresh veggies) downtown farmers market
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 1:21 pm

I am gonna have to end up shopping at several differnt places to get my needs met in Memphis

yeah, used to be that way for me too. now I have it down to a science:

For my main shopping, I go to the Kroger on Sanderlin (or, occasionally, the tiny, old Seesel's/Schnuck's on Poplar and Perkins) at least once every 3 weeks to stock up on pantry items, root vegetables, stuff I can throw in the freezer etc. Afterwards, I swing by Fresh Market for cheese, and run into Charlie's for flank steak, lamb, etc. I intersperse that with regular visits to Easy Way and (less often) the Viet Hoa for fresh fruit and vegetables. and about once every 10 days or so I break down and dash into the Schnuck's on Union for whatever I need to fill in the blanks. I do like Schnuck's organic chicken line better than anything I've found at Kroger...

Fish is the hardest thing to buy here. I go to Costco (piggybacking on a friend's card) once or twice a year and buy bags of frozen salmon and tuna, and augment with fresh fish and scallops bought at Schnucks on Union, which has a clean, but totally random, seafood dept. I tend to buy what looks good then come home and try to make something with it, rather than shop for a particular fish. oh, and whenever I visit my folks on the gulf coast, I take a cooler and come back with gulf shrimp for $2 a pound!

also, that Superlo next to Target/Pottery Barn outlet has some really great, inexpensive produce etc.

and for fun, I go to Aldi and check out the food aisles at Big Lots (lots of imported ethnic food).

I will say, committing to keeping a fully stocked pantry has really helped me. In the olden days, it was so difficult for me to cook ANYTHING because I lacked any basic ingredients. now I keep chicken stock, a gazillion spices, baking supplies, etc on hand at all times.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 1:25 pm

and run into Charlie's for flank steak, lamb, etc
man, just got a bunch of stuff there and was amazed, both the cost and taste were great
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Memphis you are supremely lucky to be blessed withEASY WAY.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 2:42 pm

andria-have you had bad luck with the fish at viet hoa?
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 3:03 pm

bad luck with the fish at viet hoa?

no, I appreciate the fish at viet hoa -- but I have a hard time communicating with the guys who work there -- and also cringe (stupid, I know, because it's as fresh as you can get, plus I will totally eat fish I catch myself) about pointing out my favorite and watching it get whacked.

I have a lot of friends who buy seafood there often, but they've developed a rapport with the dudes behind the counter. the few times I've tried to ask a question or order something, the guys just laugh and shrug their shoulders and don't take me seriously at all. I guess I just need to persevere, but it's been frustrating.

st got a bunch of stuff there

I know, Bruce -- T-Bone and Plumley turned me onto Charlie's. now, there's no looking back!

utter insanity of the Poplar Plaza Kroger

K, you've gotta go to the one on Sanderlin! completely different world. the employees smile. they even have handy maps of the store. they have an incredible organic selection, if you care about that sort of thing. the store is immaculate -- and so is the parking lot! wrought iron and brass horseheads by the door! East Memphis has got the hook up!
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 4:16 pm

because they eat some shit that you wouldn't even think about feeding to your dog. overprocessed bullshit food.

It's true!!!!!! I sneak a 16oz. package of Bryan Bologna into Burger King every morning and hide my whiskey bottle behind the Comercial Appeal that I pretend to read.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Schnucks- $1.00 for one smallish/medium sized goddamn bell pepper(green ,not red).
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm

broccoli- 3.00 a bunch at kroger.

99 cents at viet hoa.

yes.
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 6:11 pm

well, that's nice to know. Seeing as how I do a good deal of shopping at the ghetto Kroger, and viet hoa is right near there.
Shoot, cheaper than Easy Way too!
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 7:18 pm

an incredible organic selection, if you care about that sort of thing.

Oh and you know I do! But I will buy the cropdusted things as well. I loved what we got at the Farmer's Market last week--great radishes from Lori (being made tonight as a salad course with chevre/nori and a red wine dijon vinaigrette...see the new Food & Wine), this killer jalapeno cheddar bread, killer kale. The garlic chutes are not very flavorful though. We will be back.

Ryan rode all over East Jesus today and found Sara Market. PASTOR! I rode all around South Memphis today and found someplace called Big Bob's or Big Tom's Smoke Shack...Trigg between Lauderdale and whoknowswhere. It is a shack and it is orange. And it was SMOKING!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 8:45 am

i like to take tiny bites out of the fruits and veggies then leave.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 8:51 am

Sara is great for meat and Mexican staples (again, if you can communicate with Antonio). They are always making fresh chiccarones and they make/cure there own chorizo. They actually have all the "nasty bits" of the pig (belly, foot, etc) for making bacon and sausage. On Park right at Getwell.

What's the Smoke Shack like?

Y'all really like Charlie's? Decent prices, I know, but the meat I've had has been poorly cut and average tasting (and I don't generally eat tenderloin/filet). When I eat red meat at home, it's usually from Neola (the guy at the farmers market). Really spensive, but it's not often.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:11 am

My sister told me that they were opening an omaha steaks place in memphis somewhere. I wonder if the steaks will be frozen or fresh there.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 11:25 am

What's the Smoke Shack like?

An orange shack with smokers all over the place. It is up against a tree that is growing out of a rentention wall in the parking lot of a long gone corner lot gas station. Total South Memphis. I mean, I seriously won't be ambling up alone anytime soon unless I am doing outreach with my black co-workers. It is more hidden away than someplace like Ellen's.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®