Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Southern Girls Rock n' Roll Camp needs Volunteers!
Posted: May 23, 2008 12:53 pm

The Southern Girls Rock n Roll Camp is returning to Memphis August 4-9, 2008 at Hutchinson School! The SGRRC is a week-long day camp for girls 10-17 to hone in on an instrument, form a band, and perform a song to the public by the end of the week. This camp is run solely by volunteers. We need folks to teach all the basic instruments in a band (drums, keys, guitar/bass, vocals), help manage bands, help in recording, setting up, art, creating zines. We need borrowed instruments for that week, too. Please check out the website to fill out a volunteer form (mandatory) and to get further info. The SGRRC is part of a non-profit organization, and welcomes both guys and gals to volunteer!
Thanks! www.sgrrc.org
Posted: May 23, 2008 1:40 pm

NO!
Posted: May 23, 2008 4:48 pm

OOOOOOH! Baby needs some brand new shoes
Posted: May 23, 2008 5:31 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I learned how to play guitar & drums when I was 12 & 14 the hard way, with lessons, and the metalheads accross the block! Besides teenage girls cant (or do't want to) play Rock& Roll, they just wanna' talk on the cell phone about each other. Try not to be such a DYKE next summer Angel A, o.k.?

you pervert!
Posted: May 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Practice your fingering!

If you wanna stay after class, we can work on gettin ya that A!!!!!!!!!
Posted: May 23, 2008 6:13 pm

girls just wanna have some fun, miss linda!
Posted: May 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Behind every girl with halfway decent taste in music....

.....there's an ex-boyfriend with an awesome record collection and endless knowledge in music!!!!
Posted: May 24, 2008 1:52 pm

I've seen some that didn't, but I weed out the nerds.
Nerds that go to camp so they can become a rocker.
Posted: May 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Does someone Know where I can score some crack?
Posted: May 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Behind every girl with halfway decent taste in music....

.....there's an ex-boyfriend with an awesome record collection and endless knowledge in music!!!!

this is such a load of crap.
Posted: May 24, 2008 3:25 pm

They are way too young for the "I broke my G string." joke to be effective.
Posted: May 24, 2008 4:40 pm

this is such a load of crap.
Posted: May 26, 2008 10:17 pm

I just think these rock and roll girls camps tend to be kinda dumb and annoying because 1. it seems like only the most privileged and/or middle class girls tend to go, and 2. the money could be spent more practically elsewhere, like say at the stax music program. don't get me wrong- my criticism is coming from this knowledgeable place as i'm a feminist, former teenage riot grrrl, etc. i just feel like even musically speaking, there are a lot of girls who need a lot more help than from what the rock and roll camps can provide.
Posted: May 26, 2008 11:31 pm

I just think these rock and roll girls camps tend to be kinda dumb and annoying

yeah, where is the blow job camp?
Posted: May 28, 2008 8:40 pm

I just think these rock and roll girls camps tend to be kinda dumb and annoying because 1. it seems like only the most privileged and/or middle class girls tend to go, and 2. the money could be spent more practically elsewhere, like say at the stax music program.

Actually, we are partners with Stax and are providing a scholarship for one of their students to attend the camp. It's easy to call out classism when you're sitting on your butt typing on your computer but it's so much harder to actually do something constructive like take a stack of brochures around to local organizations or shelters.

Just like proclaiming to be a feminist and totally not getting what rock camp is about - empowerment, collaboration, positive self-esteem, role models and body image. It's a wholistic approach and the medium of social change and expression is music.

I would love to speak with you more about how "dumb" rock camp is and challenge you to help us diversify the participants who attend. It's not that privileged girls "tend" to go like it's a fad, it's that I personally do not have the resources to do the outreach that is necessary. That's where volunteers come in. I really need your help to make this year's camp a success.

I would love to hear your suggestions on how to make rock camp better and can be reached at sgrrc05@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Kelley Anderson
Founder, Southern Girls Rock & Roll Camp
Posted: May 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I teach boys and girls together, that's how society is. More power to you Kelly, but I think having girls go head to head with boys and succeed is much more empowering. Boys have no inherent (sp?) advantage over girls musically. Hard work beats talent nearly every time, the talented kids are typically the lazy ones. My best student is female and she was selected as one of 10 kids out of 2000 to tour backing Jon Anderson. Not because she is a girl, because she kicks ass. Regardless, your cause is noble.
Posted: May 28, 2008 11:09 pm

empowerment

The coochie has mad power. The problem is that it's mostly given away.
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:08 am

I teach boys and girls together, that's how society is.
Not under the Taleban.
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:09 am

Until anybody out there can harmonize and play bad-ass bluegrass music while clog-dancing for percussion simultaneously -- well, don't even think of criticizing Those Darlins and their kick ass school... if we had not high-tailed it out of Memphis to live someplace where our kids have more kid-friendly options (like amusement parks, waterparks, and plenty of clean air, lakes, streams, waterfalls, etc. -- then my 13 year old would be tuning up her new guitar with Kelley & Company.

Go Girls!
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:52 am

I am sure the Hutchison school can find some fine well bred MUS boys to help out! They have been taught to play right !(no Tavs there!!) Actually that is where Steve Burns and Chris Bell, and other Memphis rockers (Fry too) went to school! Oh speaking of boys, Lizzie and Candy are so excited the rhythm section for our record will be boys!!!!!Finally someone who gets us!!! But good luck with all those teenage girls Ange.
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:04 pm | Edited by: robin

It's easy to call out classism when you're sitting on your butt typing on your computer but it's so much harder to actually do something constructive like take a stack of brochures around to local organizations or shelters.

Just like proclaiming to be a feminist and totally not getting what rock camp is about

Wow, you = pot; me = kettle much? You know NOTHING about me or what I do in my spare time, my background and history as an activist/feminist, et cetera: and I suspect if you did you'd be pretty embarrassed. Divisive attitudes like yours are exactly what turns me off about the rock and roll camps, and the fact that you don't hold yourself up to any standard of criticism (as any good feminist or activist should be the first to do) definitely makes it sound like you're not the most easy or fun to work with, despite the fact that you have a "wholistic" [sic] approach with your camp.

With that, I stick by and and expound upon my original assertion that it would be a lot more productive to take the energy and resources that you have, go into a place like the Stax school and create a program for the girls there, rather than providing a scholarship for only one of their students.
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:10 pm

do you get to learn how to make deli trays at Rock N Roll Camp?
how to read riders meticulously?
how to stare blankly and nod in agreement with everything someone says?

all I ever had as a child was Boy Scouts

I HATE BEING A MAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:15 pm

dee

Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck...
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:22 pm

You know NOTHING about me or what I do in my spare time, my background and history as an activist/feminist, et cetera: and I suspect if you did you\'d be pretty embarrassed.

i love this! don't get hurt patting yourself on the back there riot grrrl.
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Alisa- my replies to your emails keep getting bounced back! WTF!
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:36 pm

i love this! don't get hurt patting yourself on the back there

i'm not saying it to be all braggy and i regret that it came off that way, because it's not indicative of my attitude at all- it was more of a putting my hands in front of my face defense mechanism. it's rather that i've been going down this road for a long time and i can remember thinking, for much of my young life, that i knew everything and that i had the solutions to everything and that i could make a billion assumptions about people i don't/didn't know, much like the original poster is doing here with me. i think that's a big problem within feminism (and i guess progressive politics in general, but HUGELY within feminism), that people think they know everything and that doing something relatively small, like this camp, is gonna make a big dent.

i just said in an email to someone who was conversing with me about this that i think memphis has bigger fish to fry. a camp like this at hutchinson, of all places, is not accessible to kids who live in whitehaven or north memphis, unless they have someone who can drive them there and pick them up. nor could they probably afford the $250 that it costs to go. i think these organizers' hearts are in the right place, but i don't believe that their vision is. yeah, girls should be able to rock out as much as boys are taught to. but at the same time, poor kids should be able to rock out as much as rich kids have the ability to, kids who aren't white should have access to the same musical resources that white kids have in their schools, etc.
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:38 pm

alisainmemphis@comcast.net

comcast sucks! My email's been conspicuosly quiet today.
You can also try zeldakit@yahoo.com

Jack...she's BACK!!!!!
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:55 pm

I have free tickets to Magic Springs & Crystal Falls for one J.S Goner!
Posted: May 29, 2008 7:04 pm

So which songs are you gonna teach these young impressionable girls?

Here's some suggestions:

"Do You Wanna Touch.."- Joan Jett
"What's Inside A Girl"-Cramps
"Sex Junkie"-Plasmatics
"4-F Club"-Mentors
"Loudmouth"-Ramones
"Slip It In"-Black Flag
Posted: May 29, 2008 7:08 pm

When you have an 18 & over camp, then I'll volunteer.
I know all those songs eazy sleazy!!!
Posted: May 29, 2008 7:19 pm

You're an EASY SLEAZY!!!

xoxoxo
Posted: May 29, 2008 7:26 pm

I have free tickets to Magic Springs & Crystal Falls for one J.S Goner!

That place is certainly no Libertyland.
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Do they teach them how to haul equipment and sleep in vans and spend all the money on booze and drugs and eat awful junk/fast food everyday? Cause thats really 98% of it.

Playing and practicing belongs in the home!
Some place like the kitchen! yea, the kitchen!

Or the practice studio.

HEE=HAWW!

welcome back no car mommy!
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:26 pm

it's like a shangri-la designed by Dr. Suess on acid, with lots of whitewater, honeysuckle/roses, and butterflies... a straight trip in technicolor
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:32 pm

designed by Dr. Suess on acid

oh dear.
Is this how you spin it to the children?
Posted: May 29, 2008 10:01 pm

it's like a shangri-la designed by Dr. Suess on acid, with lots of whitewater, honeysuckle/roses, and butterflies... a straight trip in technicolor

Well, it's nice to see a move to a new city hasn't made you sound any less dumb.

Some things will never change.
Posted: May 29, 2008 10:43 pm

high-tailed it out of Memphis to live someplace

shows how much you really give a shit about this city in the first place. if you had any real love for this city, you would have not given up and continued to pursue other venues of entertainment for your children and actually did some philanthropic work and helped to solve the problem rather than perpetuate some bullshit about a worn the fuck out theme park that pays minimum wage only for the summer. try a real solution if you want to be so fucking high and mighty. if you really gave a fuck about the children of this city and the poor and underprivileged, you would still be here fighting against the city wanting to kill libraries and community centers.

but no, instead you just LEAVE. typical. you didn't get what you wanted so you took your ball and went home.

don't let the door hit your ass on your way out. that's all i have to say.
Posted: May 29, 2008 11:12 pm

shows how much you really give a shit about this city in the first place

I was thinking the same thing about the "threat" of Mothersville moving out of their current space if that stupid abortion alternative place moves in 2 doors down. They're going to stick it to the patriarchy (the landlord) if he decides to rent to "Lifechoices" and pull up stakes and leave? Never mind that Lifechoices is going to take two spaces and thus pay more rent and be a more lucrative commodity than the single-bay Mothersville. Yeah, good going fucktards. That topic deserves its own thread but I don't think anybody on here would really care anyway. Also, if anybody read it, the "opposing viewpoints" column in the Lamplighter made me embarrassed to support Mothersville as if it somehow epitomized the values of the honkiefied "Cooper Young".

Yeah, good riddance Dee, you fair weather fuckwit.

And regarding Carney's post. Yeah, it might be more empowering to have them go head to head with boys but the larger market of actual bands seems to prove otherwise. I guess the idea, in your case, is that you can moderate between the two sexes and make them co-operate, however research I've heard of (which I can't cite off-hand) suggests that in educational settings, even those that are well intentioned, the males tend to get more attention and (maybe because they) are more vocal about their wants and needs.

Although I support the SGRnR camp, and women's place in rock and roll, I can't think of 5 all-girl bands that don't suck...
Posted: May 30, 2008 2:25 am

i think the problem with a lot of "all girl" bands is that they try so hard to be "all girl" that they will put a mediocre musician in the band simply because they are the only girl around. or those type of arrangements sometimes will alienate a person who wants to be in a band with a bunch of talented individuals regardless of sex, not put in there simply because of their sex.

i do believe that putting boys and girls together and encouraging participation from EVERYONE would help. but if you wanna know the truth about males getting more attention and being more vocal, i think it's mostly how they're raised by their parents and by society. boys are treated differently than girls in schools, even when their parents raise the girls to speak their mind. i grew up being very encouraged to speak my mind and i did and a lot of school officials frown upon that. they expect it out of guys, but not out of girls. and believe it or not, it's a lot worse in the south than in the midwest where i grew up. *shrugs*

this camp is a good step toward helping girls learn to play instruments, but it would help IMMENSELY if you could find sort of sponsor who would be willing to give scholarships to those who cannot afford something like this and find a way to get underprivileged kids a ride to and from there. i bet you anything that you could definitely find government grants to apply for. there are a bazillion ones that are for sports, and i'm willing to guess that music related endowments would probably exist.
Posted: May 30, 2008 8:27 am

haha, spin it like you want, but there's no way to describe the beauty of this place... our kids are happy here... lots of folks call every day from Memphis to drive 3 hours to give their kids a place to play at the amusement park/waterpark... we go camping in the National Forest, see bald eagles and deer and LOTS of waterfalls... helping the SGRRC is something I will always be happy about.

I really don't miss Midtown's parks, taking my kids there and finding hypodermic needles and used condoms on the slides and broken liquor bottles all over the ground.

See ya in the funny papers!
Posted: May 30, 2008 9:41 am

well, aren't you just living the life? thanks for taking the time out of your wilderness-gazing to pity us poor folks stuck out here in the urban wasteland. piss off.
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:30 am

I wish I went to Hutchison...lot's of financial prospects and potentially rebellious trim there
Posted: May 30, 2008 4:38 pm

used condoms on the slides
There has been a significant decrease in these since you left town. Coincidence?
Posted: May 30, 2008 4:41 pm

burn!
Posted: May 30, 2008 9:57 pm

i think the problem with a lot of "all girl" bands is that they try so hard to be "all girl" that they will put a mediocre musician in the band simply because they are the only girl around. or those type of arrangements sometimes will alienate a person who wants to be in a band with a bunch of talented individuals regardless of sex, not put in there simply because of their sex.

Yeah, and if you're a progressive lady and you dare to speak the truth- that those types of bands totally suck donkey balls, and that it's much more enjoyable to listen to music based on talent rather than social constrictions- you're strung up on a clothesline by your tits for being "anti-feminist" and for being unsupportive of women's art. Sadly, we women (and queers) have set a low bar for ourselves to reach beyond. If I could do anything other than sing karaoke I would totally shake them haters off and start a badass band, but alas- I am not that talented. So, mad props to everyone who does it and does it well.
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:36 pm

THE BILL COSBY OF LESBIANS!!!
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Yeah, good riddance Dee, you fair weather fuckwit.

There has been a significant decrease in these since you left town. Coincidence?

now THIS is why i just moved to memphis! S&K. when we gonna get together?
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:48 pm

I really don't miss Midtown's parks, taking my kids there and finding hypodermic needles and used condoms on the slides and broken liquor bottles all over the ground.

Maybe you should have used that example and then talked about how you planned to fix it when running for that city council seat. Then maybe you wouldn't have lost by such a large, large, large, large, large, large, large, large, large margin.

I can only imagine your husband walks around all night with headphones on so he doesn't have to hear your old, cackling yenta mouth.
Posted: May 31, 2008 11:52 am

See ya in the funny papers!

See you never!
Posted: Jun 4, 2008 11:26 pm

Veruca Salt FTW...

Can't fight the seether!

*hides and tells miss linda her brother owes me for the cellular bill and is in a country coverband playing Bob's in Bartlett!*
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 9:53 am

Hey Angela! I was serious when I suggested MUS students! The campus is right next door to Hutchison! And many of those MUS boys are musically inclined!
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks, Hellokitty: MUS Boys will be too young. Volunteers need to be at least 18.
I will be setting up a table today in front of Goner Records (CY night out- Thursday June 5th) if any of you want to tell me how "stupid" the camp sounds and how "cool" you are IN PERSON.
Angela
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 7:47 pm

I was thinking it would be great if the camp could contribute something to the auction for Anna Ives. I'm sure this board was useful to the camp. Maybe, the camp could return the favor with a contribution of tickets or tuition for the next run.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®