Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Tigers possibly Big East bound?
Posted: May 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Local Fox news ran a report during the 9pm news that said that U of M officials are talking to Big East officials about switching conferences.

http://community.myfoxmemphis.com/blogs/MattStark/2008/05/14/Tigers_Bi g_East_Bound

Don't want to get the hopes up too high yet, but... wow. This could be great.
Posted: May 14, 2008 11:04 pm

it's about damn time.
Posted: May 14, 2008 11:13 pm

Who's leaving this time? Notre Dame?
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:40 am

OK, is this the best day in forever? My last day of work in Florida and now this news? More scoop please!
Posted: May 15, 2008 10:38 am

I don't think it's great news at all. We've got it made in CUSA -- 30 wins guaranteed, home court in conference tourney, outstanding out-of-conference national schedule (that Cal gets to choose), an almost guaranteed number One or Number Two seed in the NCAAs. Why would we want to play in a conference where it's very likely that we'll have a lesser record and A LOWER SEED? Lotta teams in the Big East didn't make it into the tourney that would have if they'd had an easier conference schedule. We shoulda won the national championship last year. How would being in the Big East make for more success? It wouldn't.
Posted: May 15, 2008 10:43 am

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2008/05/report-memphis .html

http://www.fanblogs.com/big_east/007554.php

These links say that East Carolina is basically willing to do whatever it takes to get invited. But if we're going on merit alone instead of all the brown nosing, our mediocre football program and our stellar basketball program definitely trumps their mediocre football program and their pitiful basketball program.

I hope we get it, but I hope we won't have to be basketball-only. I don't think that will do us much good.
Posted: May 15, 2008 10:51 am

Why would we want to play in a conference where it's very likely that we'll have a lesser record and A LOWER SEED?

There are lots of reasons why this is good. More money- a lot more- will be going back to the school, and that will trickle down to the city through education and tourism and all that jazz. The football program will get about a trillion times better, and while I don't care all that much I'm glad for the people who do (plus it gives us a more well-rounded athletic program). We'll have even better recruiting than we already do. And who's to say we wouldn't have been the Big East champs last year had we not missed out the year that Cincinnati, Louisville et al jumped ship?

But I agree that if we're basketball-only there's not really much of a point.
Posted: May 15, 2008 11:02 am

Oh yeah, football. meh. You make good points, Robin. I think there are merits to both sides. But for basketball, nah. We got it made the way it is.
Posted: May 15, 2008 11:26 am

I think we have it made right now in kind of a chickenshit way, but I am on the side of the exposure and competition that comes with playing in a larger and more competitive conference. Last year was a special team that could have won the tourney as part of any conference; typically, this won't be the story and the stronger schedule will only benefit over time. And, there is the cash that comes from more and more exposure. I would love it if both our out of conference and conference games were against mostly high-quality teams! I am a Tiger Fan first, but after that a COLLEGE HOOPS fan!
Posted: May 15, 2008 11:37 am

I am a Tiger Fan first, but after that a COLLEGE HOOPS fan!

This is true as well. How many conference games did ya'll manage to watch all the way through this year without getting bored and turning off the tv? How awesome would it be to be able to get hyped up again about who we're playing in conference games, instead of sitting through Tulsa and Tulane and SMU?
Posted: May 15, 2008 11:55 am

Man, it would be great to beat-up on Lousyvile and Cincinasty again. . .
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:04 pm

but I am on the side of the exposure and competition that comes with playing in a larger and more competitive conference.

Yes! Agreed.
Posted: May 15, 2008 4:43 pm

>Man, it would be great to beat-up on Lousyvile and Cincinasty again. . .

Football: Cincy 17 wins, Tigers 10; Louisville 18 wins, Tigers 19 (mostly decades ago)
Basketball: Cincy 30 wins, Tigers 36; Louisville 51 wins, Tigers 34

Careful what you wish for.
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:05 pm

>Man, it would be great to beat-up on Lousyvile and Cincinasty again. . .

Football: Cincy 17 wins, Tigers 10; Louisville 18 wins, Tigers 19 (mostly decades ago)
Basketball: Cincy 30 wins, Tigers 36; Louisville 51 wins, Tigers 34

Careful what you wish for.

Yea, but every victory was soooooooo sweet. Much better than wins over the SMU and Rices of the world.

I mean, fuck, who's our rival now? UAB? Screw that. I want someone to hate again. . .
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:13 pm

I mean, fuck, who's our rival now? UAB? Screw that.

UAB is not our rival; we're their rival.
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:25 pm

I mean, fuck, who's our rival now? UAB? Screw that. I want someone to hate again. . .

Absolutely. Who even remembers the coach's NAME at UAB? Who forgets DENNY CRUM or RICK PITINO????
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Absolutely. Who even remembers the coach's NAME at UAB?

ummmm.... that guy who was at indiana for like a hot minute. you know, that GUY.

i remember being like 12 and watching bob huggins during cincinnati games and just HATING him. heh.
Posted: May 15, 2008 6:59 pm

HATED Bob Huggins. HATED him.
Hell, I can remember (remotely) playing UNLV and hating that guy.
Denny Crum? Not quite on Huggins level, but hated him anyway. And REALLY hated Louisville when they wouldn't play us.

I don't know what to think about this. I really enjoyed getting to the championship game being a part of the lowly CUSA.
Don't know about the "more money" thing. Surely that will just give the haters more ammunitition about Cal.
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:42 pm | Edited by: saispas

ummmm.... that guy who was at indiana for like a hot minute. you know, that GUY.

Oh yeah, THAT GUY. He looks like a freak. Mike Davis. They had one great season at Indiana and then nothing. So he was fired.

If we got into the Big East we could hate on Bob Huggins again too cos WV is in that conference! However, not U of M is saying they aren't speaking with the Big East, soooooo...

Hell, I can remember (remotely) playing UNLV and hating that guy.
Denny Crum? Not quite on Huggins level, but hated him anyway.

I STILL hate Denny Crum worse than any coach ever.
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:14 pm

I STILL hate Denny Crum worse than any coach ever.

Even more than Bruce Pearl?
Posted: May 15, 2008 11:01 pm

I hate Denny Crum the worst because I don't want to give Bruce Pearl even that much.
Posted: May 16, 2008 12:47 am

I hate Denny Crum the worst because I don't want to give Bruce Pearl even that much.

word. bruce pearl just looks like a used car salesman and i don't like him. hate is reserved for much more deserving rivals.

UAB has mike davis, but he's not worth a flip on a bigger scale. i mean he is probably the best thing for UAB though. he's not indiana material, but he's good for UAB. *shrugs*

we need to be in an upper echelon conference, not piddly ass c-usa. our athletic programs need more support than really what our alumnis can afford, which is still a lot. that alum money could be better utilized in other areas. especially now that the state is pulling so much goddamn money out of the education budget. maybe the alums will start helping to fund the actual academics part (doubtful though).
Posted: May 16, 2008 5:03 pm

More exciting C-USA developments (fucking TULSA?!?!?):

Conference USA's 12 athletic directors voted Thursday at league meetings in Destin, Fla., to hold the league's 2010 men's basketball tournament in Tulsa, Okla., according to a report in Thursday's Tulsa World newspaper.

The 2010 event, which in 2009 with be held for the fifth straight year at FedExForum, is ticketed for the BOK Center that is under construction and scheduled to open in September.

The conference board of directors still must give final approval of the athletic directors' vote, but that is usually a formality.

The University of Memphis has won the last three tournament titles and lost a championship-game heartbreaker back in 2005, the season before some league members' exodus to the Big East.
Posted: May 16, 2008 5:39 pm

The University of Memphis has won the last three tournament titles and lost a championship-game heartbreaker back in 2005

You mean this heartbreaker.

Man, that broke my heart. I felt so bad for D.W. jr
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®