Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:06 am

did anyone else see the thing streaking across the sky last night?

a noted bass-playing attorney looked up and said "that's weird that they're shooting fireworks" but this was wayyyyy too big.

was moving east to west in the night sky, maybe around 8:45? looked destined to destroy west memphis upon impact.

Austen Onnik (?) mentioned it in his weather report last night. can't find any mention of it today.

let the 08 UFO INVASION COVERUP continue!
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:07 am

ps scott rogers saw it, too.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:39 am

Weather baloons and swamp gas. Nothing to see here.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 11:58 am

It probably came from here.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Or maybe it was going east to look for the White Raccoon.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Were you on acid? That was the cause of my first and last UFO sighting. Minden Avenue, East Memphis, 1986.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 12:47 pm

no. and no wacky tobacky, either.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Britney saw it from her balcony, and it freaked her out. The way she described it, it twern't no shooting star. I just assumed it was Ross Johnson on his way to Neil's.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 1:10 pm

Meteor Shit!
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 1:13 pm

did anyone else see the thing streaking across the sky last night?

yeah, i saw it. didn't say anything about it because i'd had a couple margaritas and thought it was just the tequila
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 2:04 pm

I was at the Metal Museum and saw it with four or five other witnesses. That was no shooting star(s).
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 3:18 pm

I couldn't find any info on it either... but this site is awesome!

http://www.nightsearch.net/
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 5:55 pm

Damnit! I was out in the back yard around that time last night and missed it.

Almost all space launches are either west to east or north-south, so it probably wasn't a reentering rocket stage or space junk.

Did it travel the entire length of the sky from east to west, or was there a visible point of origin?

How bright was it compared to the moon? To streetlights?

It could have been a stray Lyrid.

Lyrid meteors are typically as bright as the stars in the Big Dipper, which is to say of middling brightness. But some are more intense, even brighter than Venus. These "Lyrid fireballs" cast shadows for a split second and leave behind smokey debris trails that linger for minutes.

Checking my handy Starry Night widget, it looks like Lyria rose about 10 PM, which means it would have been just below the eastern horizon about that time. Which means a Lyrid meteor would have traveled east to west.
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Did it have a shape to it at all?
Posted: Apr 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Yes. Like a Jester bong from Graffix. It had George Noory's mustache on it, too.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 9:02 am

bright, bright. like a firework burning phosphorous bright, with a bright tail. much brighter than anything else in the sky.

no visible point of origin. almost travelling horizontally across the sky.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:57 am

I can't believe the news hasn't mentioned this thing yet. It really was incredible. That mutha was bright and was moving at a deliberate pace across the sky- not at all in a haphazardly way. I have never seen anything like it and wouldn't have believed this story unless I had seen it myself.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:06 am

Last year a friend of mine was driving down Central with her mom around 10pm towards Central Gardens. They both saw a UFO-like phenomenon. The mom was so convinced it was a UFO she called TV-5 - and note that this is a woman who you would assume by knowing her to be the last person to be convinced of such a thing. Anyway, wmc said, "yeah, we've had about ten calls about a siting tonight', but they never aired anything about it.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:36 am

It looked just like this
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:55 am

The one I saw in East Memphis had a definite shape to it; like you could almost see the body of the "craft" behind the lights. And it was hovering. My "good friend DS" was also right there, but like I said, we were under the influence.

It was crazy real though and I had experience with those substances at that time and NEVER had anything like that happened and it never did again.

And how do two people simultaneously hallucinate anyway?
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:01 pm

it was Ace Frehley's birthday yesterday
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:43 pm

nice. Frehley's Comet. I knew they were due for a reunion.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:50 pm

I knew they were due for a reunion.

So the West Memphis impact was quite appropriate! Well, maybe Tunica would have made them more cash.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 1:06 pm

For comparison, here are some actual meteor videos:

Here's a recent one from Pennsylvania. I think that one turned out to be space junk.

The Peakskill Bolide of 1992. Bolides are large, bright meteors that explode in the atmosphere. Sometimes you can hear the sonic booms.

Here's a compilation, complete with cheesy orchestral music, of a bunch of meteor clips.

And here's the grandaddy of them all, the Great Daylight Fireball of 1972. It was an Earth-grazing asteroid that actually skipped out of the atmosphere instead of burning up or hitting the ground.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Fireball of 1972

Probably my favorite Deep Purple album.

Far better than Schenker's work with either the Scorps or UFO.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I think that was the Great Daylight Speedball of 1972.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:07 pm

It was crazy real though and I had experience with those substances at that time and NEVER had anything like that happened and it never did again.

And how do two people simultaneously hallucinate anyway?

I don't know, but it has happened to me and arnold.We both saw the same red light in the sky. I was too paranoid to ask someone who wasn't dosed if they saw it too.

The sub-concious is a strange thing.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:10 pm

looked like that bolide deal, except it didn't show any deterioration as it travelled across the sky. very bright head, long intact tail.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:21 pm

I was too paranoid to ask someone who wasn't dosed if they saw it too.

I was this way at first and then we both had to admit that there was this hovering thing above us (we were sitting in the middle of the street around 4 AM) and we ran screaming toward everyone else who was sitting on cars at the end of a driveway...I don't think they saw it, but everyone ended up running inside.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:51 pm

saw it. fuckin nuts.

it was sort of oval and pretty low in the sky. lower than the clouds. it was green then red then green again. extremely bright. no sound what so ever. this was no star. you can hardly even see the stars in memphis. it wasn't scay or nothing but it was pretty huge. i was so glad to find out i wasn't the only one who saw it. i couldn't giure out where it came fom because it shot from behind the tops of some very tall trees, but it was headin east. it was really really pretty
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 3:46 pm

One time I saw this weird silver oval shooting through the sky over my work and I pointed it out to someone and they said that it was probably from a missile and rocket facility that does tests a few miles offshore in the Atlantic. It was weird though, because it was during broad daylight. Anything like this around Memphis?
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 3:59 pm

I shoot fireworks.
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 4:33 pm

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:29 pm

I think that was the Great Daylight Speedball of 1972.

I think that's a different album. Bay City Rollers?
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Posted: May 1, 2008 10:58 pm

yoofo's.......

fun to think about, boring to look for. kinda like punk rock.
Posted: May 3, 2008 12:29 am

Posted: May 3, 2008 9:34 pm

footage tonight at 10 on WMC channel 5!!!!!!
Posted: May 4, 2008 9:24 am

last night?? what did they say eric??
Posted: May 5, 2008 1:25 am

i saw a blue ball of light flying down central back in 1993 or so. it was fucking weird. about 100 feet off the ground.

only a select few know about this. but now you all do.

ohhhh and i've seen a flaming fire ball thing too. back in 88 or so. it was a meteor.. confirmed. but i bet it was a bunch of grays who got too close to the rockin.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®