Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / I'm not crazy about churches...
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 2:50 pm

But I'd rather have this building there than a fucking Chik-Fil-A.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A42097

They're going to replace it with something that isn't open on Sunday.

It sucks that they tore down that old house next to Starbucks and they're putting up a fucking T-Mobile store that's going to look like a module from a fucking strip mall. Blech.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm

I'm afraid to come home...
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 4:26 pm

reading about stuff like this makes me want to launch a hostile take over of Memphis Heritage or the municipal government or both
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Well you'll have to go through me to get to Memphis Heritage. Sure it can (annoying as fuck but if you only knew the fucking effort my aunt puts into trying to save this stuff. Its way easy to take for granted if you've grown up a West Coaster or in a wealthier more progressive city. I gotta stand by my old neighborhood and my family.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Finally! Now I don't have to drive all the way out to Oak Court for them good ass waffle fries.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 4:57 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Miss Paris likes Churches chicken.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:09 pm

C'mon now, those waffle fries is nasty. I don't think the "skin" on them is real.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:29 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

i just wonder who the chik-fil-a's of the world are bribing when they get to tear down old bldgs - or when they get to even seriously consider it. that's who i really want to get hostile on.

los angeles really is hit and miss on what they preserve and what they let go.
i have a couple friends there who are die-hard preservationists and their zeal is infectious. they were big players in the "save the 76 ball" movement

what can memphis heritage do to have more say so in these things?
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Oh, fuck it. LET'S TALK ABOUT LIBERTYLAND!
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:41 pm | Edited by: miss linda

LET'S TALK ABOUT LIBERTYLAND!
Hey are you going to that show accross the street from goner records next week ? I'll post something about it.

There's gonna be FACE PAINTING!!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Hell if I know. Seriously, it is just like anything else in Memphis. The organization is small and underfunded and often people in Memphis tend to blow shit like this off until there is actually a Chik-fil-a and tons of traffic and then you will hear a lot of sighing and complaining about how it used to be this really cool building. See the whole Taco-Bell-that-used-to-be-Taliesyn Ballroom where the Sex-Pistols-Played blahblahblah.

My take is in Memphis, there is still a great divide between the people with money who could do something about stuff like this and the people without it who don't like that this happens and another group that thinks it is is fun to be contrary and reactionary. I am guilty for falling in the latter group when discussing LIBERTYLAND, but I have always been one to preserve older buildings if possible/useful.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:51 pm

Kristen, do you know who Sheryl Burke is?
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:54 pm

LET'S TALK ABOUT LIBERTYLAND!
Hey are you going to that show accross the street from goner records next week ? I'll post something about it.

There's gonna be FACE PAINTING!!!

that's where i'll be playing, you wanna fight about it!!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I want my face painted like a cute widdel bunny wunny :)
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Kristen, do you know who Sheryl Burke is?

No, don't think so...
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

She reminds me of YOU!
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Out of all the shitty, run down, old buildings in Memphis...they always seem to tear down the ones that are fine. You can see the sky through the roof at Anderton's but I bet it will stay that way for years. Aren't we about due for a new baseball stadium yet? Shelby farms would be a great place for that! Clear out those trees for some parking and we've got a better Memphis on our hands.

Save a cow, kill a church.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 9:38 pm

memphis heritage tries to save things, but if it was a whitey building, willie don't care and will let it get demolished.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 9:52 pm

what are some options to reuse a church? I know a fast food place isn't as pretty, but seriously, what do you put in there to save the building? or does it just sit empty? On the other hand, there are plenty of other buildings on union i'd rather see disappear.

Rumor is the Methodist church at Union and Cooper is about to shut down too. What do you see there?
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 10:01 pm

burger king?
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 10:17 pm

you can reuse the building in a manner of ways. you can always use it as office space or even retail or restaurant. restoration to keep architectural integrity. it's not a matter that chic-fil-a is coming there that bothers folks. it's the fact that they're just tearing down the building instead of using it in a manner that would use what is there and replacing it with some modern looking garbage.

when i lived in cincinnati, urban outfitters actually moved into an old church and it was beautiful outside still. granted, what was inside i could do without, but at least they kept the building. also in that building was a coldstone creamery and i think a coffee shop.

it is expensive to renovate, but whatever company does renovate could make some serious money by renting that shit out to others who are willing to pay premium to have a great location and who aren't willing to renovate themselves.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Methodist church at Union and Cooper is about to shut down too

Are you sure you're not thinking of Galloway (at the corner of Walker and Young), they've got a Raspberry Developing sign in the yard already.

Traffic is going to be a big fucking issue with that Chick-Fil-A. The one on Poplar in East Memphis has assholes in SUVs lined up for a block around lunch time. Fuck Truet Cathy and the God he rode in on.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:08 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Dear Memphis Venture Capitalists,
If I had an old church, I'd move the studio into it, run a coffee roasters/sit-down shop and throw shows in the basement with temporary beer licenses.

Help a brother out,
Me

P.S., there would be a small arcade with Skeeball.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:14 pm

p.s. there was a follow up article in the Flyer today that I couldn't find online -it was in the food column and had a picture of Kristin's aunt. Basically, it said that Chick-Fil-A is trying to brush off Memphis Heritage. I'm sure Kristin's aunt knows all the avenues, but it seems like the Tennessee State Historical Preservation Organization (SHPO) would be the people to approach. They had to approve the Beale Street Landing before it went "further".

But really, it seems like Jack's idea is a good one, subdivide and remodel. Kind of like what they did with the space at Cooper and Young where Burke's and Sweet or whatever, moved into. Still can't find a tenant for the old House of Cat Piss space though.
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 11:43 pm

STAB!STAB!STAB!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 1:17 am | Edited by: Theresa K

what elle said -- preserving the architectural integrity of a building preserves the overall integrity of the neighborhood.

in london in the 80s, musicians were buying deconsecrated churches in which to build recording studios; in nyc, the limelight famously is a church turned night club, and they had an outpost in london as well - in an old church.

a lot of former institutional or commercial buildings are turned residential, etc.

even if you don't like the tenants, at least you don't have to look at their eye sore "contemporary" ugly drive-thru structures.

seems that in many cities where retail and food businesses go in, no one ever bothers to do an environmental impact study to see how the increased traffic will affect the neighborhood.

in LA, i really like that there's that Target on La Brea and all, but boy does it fuck with traffic something awful and its the LAST THING LA needs

of course, what hasn't been brought to light (maybe it has been somewhere, but i'm not aware of it) is that the owners of buildings just want to dump their property on the highest bidder.

for a couple years, i was trying with a couple of partners, to buy that old boarded up gothic castle in the cass corridor (detroit) to put in what jack stands described a couple posts earlier. the owners didn't want to lease or sell that property - esp. not for that purpose. of course, the owners are the family that owns the redwings and they own a big chunk of the refurbished section of woodward ave by the new tiger stadium... i'm sure they're waiting for Live Nation to throw money their way... or perhaps Chik-Fil-A
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 7:38 am

I can't believe I have to slog through this RIDICULOUS talk about churches and heritages to find out who the REAL Chik-Fil-A fans are up in here. them waffle taters and 6 piece nuggets yall!? please. Chik-Fil-A's Polynesian sauce=Best Dipping Sauce in the game. I can't wait to get my face painted.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:33 am

She reminds me of YOU!

So you are saying she's a CRAZY PERSON who somehow gets along with YOU?!?!?!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 9:40 am | Edited by: saispas

We had to go up there the last time I was in town because some sexy reporter for Eyewitness News wanted to do a story on the "protest". It was the first time I had really looked at what an awesome building it is...it is MASSIVE. You see the short side of it from Union, but the long side on Tucker (?) really makes the possibilities leap out...and you see why Chik-fil-a (or any other fast food depending on lazy ass drive thru fools) wants it. There is space for a massive drive through wait line. Time to listen to their gay ass Christian AM radio station while you wait for your cold waffle fries and over-sugared lemonade.

It really would be a great place to redevelop for retail/office space...there is an abandoned building on a small lot next door (likely once a mansion they tore down years ago) that could be purchased for parking.

There are a couple of reuse/rehabbed buildings on Union that actually look pretty good, i.e. Holiday Ham.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 10:21 am

Still can't find a tenant for the old House of Cat Piss space though.When I visited Burkes Books not long back I definitely caught a whiff of the mammoth "attack" dog that used to be penned up inside the Flea Market where Burkes books now resides. In the days of the Flea Market that thing (dog) could be smelt down the street on particular hot days.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 12:11 pm

So you are saying she's a CRAZY PERSON who somehow gets along with YOU?!?!?!

I wish. She's a dancing Queen!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 4:32 pm | Edited by: MATAlac

1) I don't think this has been described correctly. The building in question is not a church it is a church office and book store. I think if it were an acutal church on union (like Idylwild) than chick-fil-a wouldn't be tearing it down. Big loss nonetheless, the for rent/will redevelop sign has been there for years.

2) Its pretty damn obvious that union ave. is an abortion of a commercial strip and reflects on local developers and CRE Brokers lack of imagination. Its also a total bastard strip of the city with no guardian angels (like the center city commission or Cooper Young Assoc.) to advocate a theme along it. Would it kill them to build a bit denser, get some residenital above the shops, or get by without one more god damn drive thru joint.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 4:59 pm

For real. I don't mind replacing old, decrepit, unattractive, nonhistorical buildings that sit decaying for years like that house next to Starbucks with something else. But for Chrissakes, could we have some planning? A little architectural flow? Memphis has always been guilty of throwing up one slipshod, ugly ass building after the next with zero regard for how they'll all look together. And yeah, something multipurpose, like above shop residences would be lovely.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm

That said, I do like the Cumberland Book Shop building and they should absolutely not tear it down. And yeah, Union Ave. needs a Chick-Fil-A like it needs those Xs and arrows back (which I actually found amusing as hell at switchover time, but that's beside the point).
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 5:33 pm

SAMBEAUX--I heard both Galloway and the other one at Cooper and Union are closing. Maybe I heard wrong. Hope so.

http://gatesofmemphis.blogspot.com/ has been on the case a while too.

I wish CfA would work with them and somehow redevelop it to maintain the character of the building (or tear down one of the other sheds). I do, but the place has been for sale for years.

This place will be packed as it will be the best food served on Union (besides Wiles-Smith and Pei Wei--another chain and maybe heavenly hoagie on a good day).
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 5:48 pm

It kinda breaks my heart that my aunt is spending her Golden Years in this way. FUCK Chik-fil-a. I am typically not a boycotter but they're being so obstinate I will forever ban them and talk shit on them. They deserve to be nicely EGGED!
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Call Chick fil A to voice your opinion. Gatesofmemphis has the link (so does Memphis Heritage). If you're gonna die on this hill, die fighting.
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 10:55 pm

There is a literal hill...the churchies will have to tear that up too. I drove past a monstrous Chik-fil-a on St. Pete Beach today and realized the entire front is this glass-encased plastic tubular wonderland for the kiddies. I guess they have that to make it up to them that their meal was cold and gross.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 10:27 am | Edited by: paristheatre

like it needs those Xs and arrows back

new traffic sign idea for Union -_-

chicken crossing the road that changes to a chicken NOT crossing the road from 4pm to 6pm. of course the chicken 'not crossing' would be chicken within a red circle with a line through it.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 10:48 am

i'd like to see a bunch of protestors dressed up like black & white cows with placards saying "we don't want to be saved... we want to save this building" but in that stupid mis-spelling that is chik-fil-a's signature and that retarded font.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 10:56 am

i thought Chik-fil-a was a church?
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 11:18 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

i thought Chik-fil-a was a church?

They secretly transubstantiate all the chicken into communion host. Host-Fil-A. That's almost as beleivable as Kentucky Fried Chicken having to change their name to KFC because they've so genetically altered their meat that it can no longer be honestly called "chicken".
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 12:12 pm

i thought they changed to kfc so they didn't have to give free chicken to anyone who asked, per the col.
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm

like it needs those Xs and arrows back

new traffic sign idea for Union -_-

chicken crossing the road that changes to a chicken NOT crossing the road from 4pm to 6pm. of course the chicken 'not crossing' would be chicken within a red circle with a line through it.

My favorite post/idea for 2008. Talk about a worthwhile public art project!
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 1:53 pm

...not to mention a clucking sound for those with vision impairments.
Posted: May 3, 2008 1:20 pm

Did anyone else get this?

Breaking News:

We received a call from Erwin C. Reid, VP of Real Estate for Chick-fil-A yesterday afternoon. He has agreed to meet with Memphis Heritage and a group of local architects and designers to investigate the possible adaptive reuse of the Cumberland Presbyterian Archives Building. We are pleased to announce this progress. Thanks to all of you that sent emails and made phone calls asking for this meeting. It made a difference.

Mr. Reid expressed that CFA did not want to have a negative impact on the Midtown neighborhood. He is still very concerned about the difficulty of adapting the building to meet their purpose and he made no promises. In offering our resources to CFA, we will hopefully be able to generate realistic comparative costs and plans for some sort of adaptive reuse versus the plan they (CFA) have proposed for the property.

We will keep everyone updated on our meeting and the outcome.

Again thanks to all of you for your great support for our community!

June West
Executive Director
Memphis Heritage, Inc.
info@memphisheritage.org
www.memphisheritage.org
2282 Madison Avenue
Memphis, Tennessee 38104
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®