Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Simple Question...BEST Mexican food in Memphis?
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 1:45 pm

List it.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Gudalanpana
Los Tortugas

end of list
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:19 pm

La Espiga
Guadlapana
Los Tortugas(kindA small and always crowded as shit..but the freshest ingredients around)
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 2:22 pm

This is not a simple question.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm

What the dudes above said.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Gudalanpana

indeed. never been to the other place.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 3:34 pm

tell me more of this Los Tortugas (i.e. location)

I've only had La Espiga for breakfast once and it was pretty damn good. Need to go back. Otherwise, GUAD.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:06 pm

tell me more of this Los Tortugas (i.e. location)

It's great -but it's on Germantown Pkwy in a strip mall across from the Chic-Fil-A. It also goes by Deli Mexicana, check your phone book. Do not try to alter the menu. Go ahead, ask for cheese dip, I dare you.

Guadalupana sucks. Is there anybody that doesn't suck their dick?
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:41 pm

why you so salty on Guad?...it doesnt suck, not by a longshot...please tell me what they do that is sucky.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Gave me food poisoning.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

thats how you know it authentic, silly...its like eating IN mexico...
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Guadalupana sucks.

Well, I don't think it sucks exactly, but I wasn't as pleased with their huevos rancheros as I was hoping. It'll do. I am just hoping they do one better in Memphis, truly. West Coast Mexican everything absolutely spoils a person.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 6:08 pm

maybe i will open a restaurant.
it would be oaxacan though
no. sonoran. never
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 7:46 pm

it would be oaxacan though

Si senora si!!!!

I'd do Guerreran.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Theresa's House of Mole!
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 10:08 pm

breakfast stuff, kinda ad lib.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:00 am

Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana
Guad
Espiga
Shit
Porton/compadres

Don't piss pepe off at Deli Mexicana, but it's by far the best around. Crowd sucks (go at 11:30 or 1pm or at night), many of the customers suck (especially the table-holders) but Jonathon (the son/owner) is really cool and the food tastes better than any place in town except 2 or 3 high-end places.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:14 am

Taco Bell
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:29 am

las tortugas, fo sho, although I'm still addicted to the white cheese dip at any & all of the portons/compadres/mezcals.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Has anyone else been to Siete Madres on Jackson. I thought it was Guad's twin in a much seedier location- Always panhandlers out front.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 12:50 pm

Jonathon

He's just as rabid about "autentic Mexican cuisine" as his dad. I dare you to ask for Nachos. The Germantown douchebags are the worst, but one time I saw all of Adios Gringo eating together at a table there.

Was thinking more about Guadalupana -it really isn't any better than La Hacienda on Germantown Parkway or something else. The idea that it's more authentic (and therefore better) because it looks like you're eating in a high school cafeteria, seems to be the big draw to most people.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 1:03 pm

The Germantown douchebags are the worst, but one time I saw all of Adios Gringo eating together at a table there.

ironically, that's where half the gringos are from. but yeah, the clientele at tortugas sucks. the food is great and the gringos rule!!!

i love the guad but their huevos rancheros ain't the best. i don't go there for breakfast oriented mexican, though. is it more "authentic" because they have things like tripa and lengua? i don't eat the meat so i don't know.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 3:48 pm

The idea that it's more authentic (and therefore better) because it looks like you're eating in a high school cafeteria, seems to be the big draw to most people.

that's what i DONT like about it.

and i agree saispas, west coast mexican will spoil a person.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 4:44 pm

i'm with ya on the las tortugas and guad. those are by far the best in memphis.

i just hate drivin out to las tortugas. so goddamn far. but the food is so worth it. gah.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Deli Mexicana is a pretty good place. I had no idea it had/has another name. Guad, hands down. I love that place.

Acutally, if there were a place like Polvos in Austin anywhere near Memphis I might not have moved away. Their Mole was so good I would do shots of it.
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:54 pm

La Guadulapana. La Espiga. Haven't been to Las Tortugas.
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 10:24 am

What I like best about Guadalupana is that their veggie burrito isn't just beans on a tortilla. It's packed with goodness and would even make some dirtball hippie in a parking lot blush and drop his Newkie Brown, brah.
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 12:22 pm

The idea that it's more authentic (and therefore better) because it looks like you're eating in a high school cafeteria, seems to be the big draw to most people.

Well, usually, the best places are like that...the best Tacos in Fort Worth, TX..."Grannys" is just a side room at an auto inspection place/garage...starting at 11AM folks line up out on the sidewalk to get those tacos
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Man..saw a new joint today that may have been reviewed in the Flyer a few weeks back. Its called Mayas and its over on Macon on the north side of the street just east of Waring I think. Its in an older strip of stores. Anybody ever been there??
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 9:33 pm

ca reviewer hit mayas and loved it....and promptly filled it up with a crowd they couldn't handle and the ca reviewer got about 100 emails (per the whiningdining.com blog). haven't been
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Mexican food is for retarded people.

Retardo Mantalban.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 2:34 pm

we ate at the happy mexican downtown the other day and i was pretty impressed. i'm not really a salsa person, but goddamn they got the best. good marguiritas too
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 2:54 pm

i was out in E. Jesus this past sunday and tried to hit up the Los Tortugas, but it was closed. Boo!

in other questionable mexican cuisine news, I was kinda sorta strong-armed into going to the Happy Mexican this past Fri night with some drunken downtown dwellers. The tacos carnitas: not bad.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 3:00 pm

we ate at the happy mexican downtown the other day and i was pretty impressed. i'm not really a salsa person, but goddamn they got the best. good marguiritas too

The only thing that is good about The Happy Mexican is the owner, Larry. He's a great guy- very sweet. Their food went to shit when they moved from their original location inside The Artisan Hotel on the corner of McLean and Union and changed their name. (They were once called Las Margaritas.)

The Mr. and I enjoy going into the hardcore, non-gringo/ guerro establishments where they serve truly authentic Mexican food, like the Supermarcado Mexicana on Winchester and Mt. Moriah (I think). To this date, I think we're the only whities (besides the police) who have been in there. It's cool, though. The restuarant is located in the back of a huge indoor flea market. No margaritas, but plenty of beer. It's fun to go there on a Sunday and watch soccer games. I'll admit, it does take some courage to go in there for the first time, though. It helps if you have a friend with you who speaks fluent spanish or at least some spanish.

I think Teresa should call her Mexican restaurant, "Holy Mole", after a dish Sanford made (or ate?) on an old Sanford and Son episode. God I love that show.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 3:53 pm

if i truly can get out of town (nashville) this weekend and over to memphis - i will be celebrating cinco de mayo by bringing w/ me some mole sauce!

"memphis mole" would be the mole sauce on the side + an order of gus's or uncle lou's fried chicken. you all can have a cerveza w/ that... i'll have tequila
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Checked out Mayas over on Macon and its pretty damn good. Fresh salsa, guacamole and I had a really tasty ceviche tostada as well as a shrimp tostada and a tamale. Evertything was really fresh, great service and the place has some relly cool Mayan murals on the walls. They have beers but no Margaritas. Been open about 5 months. Its almost at the corner of Wells Station and Macon. Heading east down Walnut Grove take a left on Graham and then a right on Macon. There is a light at Macon and Wells Station and is next door to Lanas Market on the north side of the street. Good stuff and surely to be makin some others favorite spot before too long.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 6:08 pm

i tried it out. decent tomato-y salsa, large burrito. tried the ceviche tostada but didn't really get down with it. burrito had rice & lettuce in it (?).

beans seemed all right.

beer was nice. CA had horror stories about bad service- it's a family run restaurant and i could see some teenage family members not getting the serving thing right. ah well.

i'd try it again. they serve breakfast, too.
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 6:27 pm

burrito had rice & lettuce in it
typical west coast bullshit
Posted: May 7, 2008 8:52 pm

Checked out Mayas over on Macon and its pretty damn good. Fresh salsa, guacamole and I had a really tasty ceviche tostada as well as a shrimp tostada and a tamale. Evertything was really fresh, great service and the place has some relly cool Mayan murals on the walls. They have beers but no Margaritas. Been open about 5 months. Its almost at the corner of Wells Station and Macon. Heading east down Walnut Grove take a left on Graham and then a right on Macon. There is a light at Macon and Wells Station and is next door to Lanas Market on the north side of the street. Good stuff and surely to be makin some others favorite spot before too long.

Maya's: A+. Way better than Guad and similar prices. I thought the ceviche tostada was pretty fantastic.
Posted: May 7, 2008 11:38 pm

nice! i reread my blurbage and i didn't mean to sound so down on it.

i don't think it's as good as guad but it's promising & I'll be back!
Posted: May 8, 2008 12:06 am

burrito had rice & lettuce in it
typical west coast bullshit

let's be specific: typical SAN FRANCISCO BULLSHIT
SF does food good but NOT burritos
Posted: May 8, 2008 7:11 am

Went back earlier this week for lunch. Had a coupla tacos and a tamale. This time I asked for some salsa verde...great stuff . Pretty hot and really, really fresh. Tamale was great too.
Posted: May 19, 2008 11:05 pm

new addition: topping my list is now Mariscos Maxatlan on Winchester Rd.
Best Fish tacos I've had in Memphis. Freshest guacamole by far. Great ceviche. Totally affordable.
Posted: May 19, 2008 11:26 pm

let's be specific: typical SAN FRANCISCO BULLSHIT
SF does food good but NOT burritos

well since mexican is not what I usually seek out when in other haunts (cause I can pretty much get the best of any regional mexican fare where I am) I can't say with 100% certainity; but I can say there's been more than one place on the west coast that did this, and they ALL weren't in SF
Posted: May 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Best Fish tacos I've had in Memphis. Freshest guacamole by far. Great ceviche. Totally affordable.

This sounds great; how do they do the fish and what kind do you think it is?
Posted: May 20, 2008 9:17 am

yo Beef - you are in Arizona, right? i can't remember the name of the place, but i had the greatest tacos in Tucson... just sayin...

and as for SF burritos - i don't know why, but i think that misguidedness of putting rice in a burrito originated in SF - i could be wrong, but my whole life, i've associated rice in burritos w/ SF
Posted: May 20, 2008 9:20 am

i think that misguidedness of putting rice in a burrito originated in SF - i could be wrong
rice a roni...the San Francisco treat
Posted: May 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Gudalanpana

Yes! No contest so far in my trials. The Winchester location is better. Miss their ground round beef burritos now that they have gone authentic.
Posted: May 20, 2008 2:20 pm

misguidedness of putting rice in a burrito
music sounds better on vinyl
it's not gay if you don't kiss

You people and your rules.
Posted: May 20, 2008 2:52 pm

You people and your rules.

you mean like "more banjitar in the monitors?"
Posted: May 20, 2008 4:47 pm

This sounds great; how do they do the fish and what kind do you think it is?

grilled or fried and cut small. You can get red snapper or tiliapia. both are excellent
Posted: May 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Kroger sells patio bean&cheese burritos for less than 50 cents a pop hombre.+
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Arizona - si, Theresa...Tucson even

and I'm not sure where the rice in burritos thing started, but I do know until recently I would only ever find that in California

it's strange but I also have never found a good salsa or hot sauce north of 33 degrees latitude
Posted: May 28, 2008 2:40 pm

it's strange but I also have never found a good salsa or hot sauce north of 33 degrees latitude

that's why i make my own
i've even resorted to growing my own peppers
Posted: May 28, 2008 3:01 pm

and you carry it in your purse?

that's a pretty good idea

but now I have to get a purse
Posted: May 28, 2008 3:33 pm

and you carry it in your purse?

oh, i do that too.... not the homemade pico de gallo - but a home made hot pepper sauce from home grown serranos, yeah.

get a man purse, beef!
Posted: May 28, 2008 5:20 pm

He's just as rabid about "authentic Mexican cuisine" as his dad.

So I finally managed to go to Deli Mexicana and while the food is great I'm asking for a burrito and nachos with cheese dip as soon as I get to the counter next time. I was perusing the menu while he was giving his spiel about fresh ingredients, authenticity, I'm a nazi when it comes to our food, etc. and He GRABS the menu out of my hand as well as the girl I'm with. Then he says that it would be great if we'd be polite enough to listen to him while he's talking. Uhh.... I can multitask asshole. I could repeat back everything you said nearly verbatim but I'm hungry and since I've read damn near every article about your place I've got a good idea what's going on. He wouldn't have done that shit to some rich suburban fuck. And when we told him we were getting it to go he went on and on about how we had to eat it as soon as possible to truly "get" what we were eating. And of course those last few soggy bites were the best. Update as soon as I get ten bucks to spend on a sandwich.
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:01 pm

is this the old guy? Pepe? he can be a total turn off pain in the ass. I've seen him return a rich suburban bitch's money to her and tell her to never come back. he's not discriminating when he feels dissed. i avoid him and i'm a regular.
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:04 pm

He GRABS the menu out of my hand as well as the girl I'm with. Then he says that it would be great if we'd be polite enough to listen to him while he's talking.

I don't care how good the food is...after reading that...I won't go.

One pissed off customer turns into 9....or a shitload if they post it on a message board.

Fuck that.
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

holeee fuckin shit. Dude, I would have absolutely lost my mind up in that motherfucker.
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:23 pm

ya ever worked retail? SO MANY times ive wanted to fucking slap a cell phone outta someones hand while they try and talk to someone AND ask you questions. I know the menu thing isnt exactly the same thing but, you know. Dude is lucky he has a business and doesnt need everyone's dime where he can say "get the fuck out, dont ever come in here again". Their food is too good to boycott because the owner is rougish...good food is good food and hard to come by in this town...plus his demeanor has the potential to provide entertainment. The fact that you bought food after he did that to you says folks are willing to put up with a lot for exceptional food.
Posted: May 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Dude is lucky he has a business and doesnt need everyone's dime where he can say "get the fuck out, dont ever come in here again".

Key words in this discussion.
Posted: May 29, 2008 4:21 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Kroger also sells cans of Taco Bell brand refried beans.
I LOVE mexican food!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: May 29, 2008 4:22 pm

condescending demeanor does not increase flavor or enjoyment.

and i like the place.
Posted: May 29, 2008 4:50 pm

what the hell is a man purse...I already have a wallet

if I went to Deli Mexicana I'd order a meximelt
Posted: May 29, 2008 4:58 pm

what the hell is a man purse

It's when men wear a purse you silly willy!
Posted: May 29, 2008 5:28 pm

well I have one of those but it's one of them giant see thru shopping bags that me and all my friends use when we're sitting at the bus bench

the waiters would definitely know I had some of my own salsa in that thing
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:43 pm

By "salsa" you really mean tampons that you "jimmied" out of the the .25 cent despenser from the LADIE'S ROOM!

We are such kindred spirits you and I.
Posted: May 29, 2008 10:55 pm

you mean like "more banjitar in the monitors?"

more like "NO banjitar in the monitors", having that thing blaring in your face when you're trying to play is like trying to smell your own fart in a sewage treatment plant.
Posted: May 30, 2008 1:34 am

It was his son. I was too stunned to respond and I was hungry and a little inebriated. I'm also passive-aggressive hence my plan to go back even if it just gets me banned. And I've done customer service for years and my current retail job has me dealing with rich old people (my favorite group to hate) who tend to be in pain thus making them very irritable. That being said, I haven't lost my composure since I was fifteen and didn't give a fuck despite all the shit that's been dished out to me. It must be nice to be able to turn people away like that and not care about any possible repercussions. I can't recall ever seeing any advertising and it doesn't stand out from the strip mall that it's in.
Posted: May 30, 2008 2:34 am

I haven't lost my composure since I was fifteen and didn't give a fuck despite all the shit that's been dished out to me

are you human???

It must be nice to be able to turn people away like that and not care about any possible repercussions.

i do it all the time but i'm an asshole with little regard for consequences

that guy sounds like the Soup Nazi in NYC - sort of. the soup nazi sells WAY EXPENSIVE soup from a shack storefront only during the fall and winter. you have to know what you're ordering by the time he asks you and you cannot falter or order the wrong way - he'll tell you not to come back either. they spoofed him on SEINFELD, but it was really accurate. i never ordered from him - i gave my order to my friends who were also going and they'd bring it back for me. i don't like abuse from food service people - i can't even look back in retrospect to see the humor
Posted: May 30, 2008 1:37 pm

We are such kindred spirits you and I.

-Anne of Green Gables
Posted: May 30, 2008 1:55 pm | Edited by: saispas

i don't like abuse from food service people - i can't even look back in retrospect to see the humor

Respect should go both ways, but simply browsing their menu (which THEY PROVIDE) is in no way rude to this guy. While I am intrigued by this place, I gave up being intrigued with much to do with Germantown after one Briarcrest party circa 1984 when some CBHS jackass backed into my car with his Jeep and took off.
Posted: May 30, 2008 3:57 pm | Edited by: Karl

Maybe I should say I haven't lost my composure while assisting a customer since I was fifteen. When they leave is another matter.
Posted: Jun 2, 2008 3:52 pm

that's unusual in my experience with him, but he's got daddy's genes.

i wish they were MORE like the soup nazi. both of them spend 5 minutes explaining how great the food is and talking to customers. can be frustrating (as can the asshat table sitters who let someone stand in line to place their order. totally fucks up the flow).

i usually let him pick my order. the ribs are really good, but you have to get there early.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm

man they play the music deli mexicana WAYYYYYY too loud. ive been in there a few times and they dont even sell iced tea, but they will sell you a 4 dollar mexican mint tea. i much prefer swankys. they have a killer taco salad AND ICED TEA for under $10. deli mexicana is overpriced and over rated. by the way not sure if someone mentioned it, there is now GUADALUPANA 3 on austin peay hwy for all you rawkin raleighers.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:18 pm

yes, you are right. the music's too loud, the owners are jackasses and the crowd is a bunch of germantown stuffed shirt assholes. please don't go there. go to swanky's or el porton and stay out of my line.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 12:29 pm

i like how they put the smiley faces with the green sauce on the tostadas though.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm

i like how they put the smiley faces with the green sauce on the tostadas though.

Are you ordering off the kids menu?
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Anyone balled La Playita Mexicana at 6194 Macon in Bartlett?

Its a mix between the Guad and standard El Porton stuff.

Ive seen Hudson and Saleeby there on multiple occassions always looking stuffed and humming a good tune.
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 5:12 pm

ugh...swanky's sucks!
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 11:00 pm

went to playita mexicana tonight. I got a cocktail with shrimp and ceviche in it. I think it set me back $10, but was loaded with shrimp. The sauce it was in had a nice limey kick and was ketchupy without being too ketchupy.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 12:30 am

i love non-ketchup, ketchup
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am

like how they put the smiley faces with the green sauce on the tostadas though.

Are you ordering off the kids menu?

no, and they didnt even charge me extra to do it.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 11:32 am

ugh...swanky's sucks!

they have a great taco salad where you can pick n choose the shit you want in it. they have pretty good fish tacos as well. not really the best atmosphere or margaritas, but the grub aint bad and reasonably priced.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 11:33 am

la playita is pretty good as well. i like the whole fish with the cherries in the eyes.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 12:26 pm

la playita

Got sick there once. Deal breaker.
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Gave me food poisoning.

Got sick there once. Deal breaker.

Mexo no bueno, Sambeaux?
Posted: Jun 12, 2008 3:06 pm

How's the dumpster action goin' at the spic joint?
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Holy Posole! So damn great--we got the camarones y pulpo ceviche, red snapper tacos and Camarones el diabla...so so so so GOOD. Less a tacqueria than a sit down and eat for hours type of joint if you want, but you can go easy and just get tacos too. Friend got lengua tacos--incredible. Kinda made me shrug at the Guad across the street, sorry to say!
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 7:09 pm

guad today won for speediest delivery ever, but mediocre salsa and beans.

it's still my favorite from lack of competition from anyone who does what they do, but i'm heading for jerusalem next time i'm hungry & heading east on summer.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Anybody got anything to say about Hephzibah?
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Jerusalem kills.

The last time we were in there they had a Mexican waitress who did not know what the hell was going down. They also had some patently offensive East Memphis elderly people obliviously throwing out some loudly racist comments.
Posted: Jun 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Hephzibah
Supposed to have the best wings ever. Never tried em.
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 12:52 am

Hephzibah is different. They don't fry anything. If you go there a few times they'll take your picture and put it on the wall. They took mine but I don't know if it's up, because that's the last time I ever went. I just got tired of it. It's never had more than a few people in it that I've seen, but I used to eat at off hours, so that might be the deal. I don't remember the wings, but I do remember a bowl of chicken legs that was pretty good. The lamb stew was good.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 9:05 am

Mariscos Maxatlan

thumbs way up. guac was untouchable and red snapper tacos were pretty ace as well. we will definitely go back.
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 1:39 pm

Noticed no less than 6 rats outside of El Mezcal on Union Sat.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 9:53 am

Totalllly puked out of both ends..PLayita is Dangerous. that ceviche tostada is catfish cut into whatever you ordered...the Red snapper on your tacos is tilapia..
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 11:52 am

stale bread on my torta at guad today.

i'm done. damn forgot my pledge about jerusalem. not next time.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 12:08 pm

that ceviche tostada is catfish cut into whatever you ordered...the Red snapper on your tacos is tilapia..

At Playita? Cos that snapper at Maxatlan was snapper. I didn't get a ceviche with fish in it, just octopus and shrimps.
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 12:38 pm

Tellin ya man...Mayas is where its at. Guad has seen its day. Dont be frontin on the Jeru Eric. Damn good sutff.
Posted: Jul 5, 2008 2:23 pm

Mexican food is for retards.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Las Tortugas was gooooood.

All that crazy signage on the wall was hilarious, including his passive-aggressive "We love our friends, we have so many, but we'll kick you out..." one right at the register.

The young guy rang us up and though very friendly, ended the transaction with, "Enjoy your tacos, you've been here before right?"

Me: "No, this is our first time..."

Guy: "Well, we do GENUINE MEXICAN so that means NO CHEESE DIP."

Me: "Uh, great! Thanks."

Looking around at the G'town crowd I guess they have developed that attitude for a reason, but jeez.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Snapper should have red vein lookin things where the skin comes off ...
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 9:26 pm | Edited by: Highway Star

hey saispas, you're husband liked his food too, but it doesn't seem to be liking him back. hope he makes it through work, i've been carrying his sorry ass all night.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Oh great!

Screw Pepe!

Probably slipped him a Mexican jalapeno.
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 10:04 pm

extra gringo sauce!
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 7:40 am

finally made it to Las Tortugas this past Tuesday for lunch. Definitely as good as everyone is saying. I, too, made the mistake of admitting it was my first time there (while my previously indoctrinated dining companion audibly groaned). Holmes went into an 8 minute spiel on authenticity. I appreciated it, but 12:30 on a weekday with the line out the door - not the time.
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 11:36 am

i love his "authentic mexico city street food" spiel.... where's the bacon-wrapped hot dogs? gimme two... with cheese dip!
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 1:40 pm

El Chico!!!!

They gots ALL the gay waitstaff miss girlthangs!
Posted: Jul 26, 2008 3:18 pm

with cheese dip!

They had Queso Fundido as a special and if I had been in the mood to get kicked out, I might have asked "Well, what the hell is this then, G?"
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 2:45 pm

hit mayas on macon again last night... HUGE burrito... i had excellent carnitas .

happy hour is 3-9pm and they have 2 for 1 domestic beers, 3 for 2 imported beers and cheap lunch specials.

good guac, good chips & salsa... not gourmet but nice as hell family operation.

there ya go, colin!
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 2:52 pm

Has anyone eaten at the the newer joint on Highland near Douglass?
They tricked it out and have a nice patio.
I'm just wondering if the food is any good.
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 3:20 pm

Yeah man...Mayas is the joint!! Those burritos really are massive.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®