Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / What ever happened to those G-town vegan hardcore kids from 89-94
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 10:44 am

Just wondering as I eat my beans and rice and tofutti.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:05 am

gettin' high.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:48 am

that jp guy changed his name & pops up on cnn speaking out against Michael Vick once in awhile.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:50 am

They're all hippies! ha-ha...

No really, Prichards in NYC.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 12:05 pm

o my damn Prichard was a G-town vegan hardcore kid?!?!
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 2:05 pm

remember when Steve Lovett (Raid) turned all wannabe beastie boy smoking blunts and shit in 92 or so?
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 5:22 pm

so and so is a rapist - was the talk of the town for a while.

that kinda thing still pops up every now and then.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 6:17 pm

so and so is a rapist - was the talk of the town for a while.

what town?

i knew all those folks and never heard that one. some i liked better than others and still keep up with, but that's new to me...

one of those kids is in lucero, one works for vice magazine in nyc, one runs a non-profit environmental organization in northern california, another one is a fifth grade school teacher in northern cal, a couple are attorneys, one's a commercial airline pilot, one heads up his local book-of-the-month club, one owns a furniture warehouse in portland, one is a spokesperson for P.E.T.A., one owns a bike shop, one is a U.S. marshall, one's dead of a heroin overdose...

i don't know if that satisfies yer curiosity goat, but it should give you some idea.

what a novel idea, people changing and going thru different phases.

wow, mindblowing.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:24 am

don't know much, but went to G'town back then..
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:58 am

what a novel idea, people changing and going thru different phases.

Yeah. When the hardline thing came around, I started to listening to the dead and stuff. Look at me now!

I remember when the Northern California environmental dude wore hot pink Motley Crue headbands.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:52 am

Nice rundown JBH! I had forgot about some of those folks...

Me and Prichard had a beer and alot of laughs about the old days with Steve
last year. It was fun! According to wikipedia, their first band, One Way, was "christian hardcore"???!!!! That explains some things I guess....

Check it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_%28band%29
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:41 am

good stuff, my wife is a child of back to nature circa late seventies hippies,me my parent are g-town reganites, anyway she is always suprised by my love for vegan food. And I tell her about those kids and how we would skip school to go eat vegan food. I wasn't vegan or hardcore but I got a lot of those v.s.e.h.c. kids high and used to love it. You know breaking them down with peer pressure. Kinda sounds evil now. Anyway,sounds like they are doing well besides the ones that o.d. but fuck I went down that road then turned thirty and adulthood happened.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:43 am

I talked to JP not long ago...he's doin good...
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:45 am

but went to G'town back then..

There's more than a couple on here that did.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:52 am

There's more than a couple on here that did.

I think most of em hung out at my house at one point or another...the perils of living next to the high school
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:04 pm

Those jerks would start up shit with vegetarians in the Antenna, but McDonalds were all over the place and those guys would'nt go near that. Marshall W. (R.I.P.) came up to me & a vegan friend at Taco Bell to check on us to see if we were partaking of the flesh, but ignored everyone else in the restraunt who were almost certainly eating meat. Arnold told him that as soon as I saw him come in the t.bell I scarfed down my taco as fast as I could so he would'nt catch me and tell all the other hardliners, and he believed her.I told him it was true.

Poking holes in the cheese section at Squash Blossom was bizarre. One day Brent S. read the Ingredients on the vegetable stock we used at S.Blossom for the beans we served over rice and found that there was chicken stock in it also. That was funny. All the Hardline Vegans were eating chicken stock with their beans and rice.

I used to eat a piece of ckicken every week so no one could accuse me of being vegan. I did'nt want anything to do with those guys for about 5 years, now I don't give a damn one way or another, but to this day, I can't stand being in a room full of liberals while I'm sober.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:10 pm

the perils of living next to the high school

Holy shit. Not sure which house, but I just realized I may have been over there at one point or another. Except instead of being sxe, I was usually high. Like, most of the time.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:17 pm

This is bugging me now. Which side of the school? East by the courts?
Also, this would have been '86 to '91.

5 years. That's right.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Marshall...God rest his soul.

Yes Jack...it was THAT house...that fuckin' jerk ass cop Sarge from Gtown H S used to cause shit all of the time at my place...I busted him one time going through the mail in my mailbox. I read him the riot act and had him thinking the Postal Police were coming down on his ass...he pretty much left us alone after that but that was near the end of my son's senior year...it all calmed down after he graduated.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Football field was in my front yard....Moore
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:22 pm

Sarge

haha!
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm

not 86-91 though.....more like 90-94
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 2:02 pm

fuckin' jerk ass cop Sarge

that exemplary pillar of the law had to resign when he chose to pursue a relationship with this chick in my senior class that he was bangin.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm not a hater type person...but I HATED that sonofabitch
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Not hardline vegan, but what ever happened with the likes of Hilgenberg, Bledsoe and GR and all the Angel brothers?
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 2:15 pm

I think GR is movin to St. Louis soon....not sure..
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 2:21 pm

Joel Hilgenberg is here in town, Jeff Bledsoe lives in Mississippi last i heard and his lil' brother Jason is a Memphis cop, GR works at the Whitney museum in New York, and i don't know about the Angels Chad and Luke.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Did Marshall work at El Chico for a while and go to White Station for a year or so?
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 9:28 am

I worked at Squash during those years. Back then, I loved getting into it with those dummies.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 1:36 pm

Hilgenberg, Bledsoe and GR and all the Angel brothers?
Angel brothers
The younger is a cpa and Sarge? who was worst him or the ISS coach? fuckers
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 1:41 pm

I had no idea so many of you went to Gtown...
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 3:29 pm

I paid $200 to Memphis City Schools not to.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 3:41 pm

it is a dumb teenager who is more concerned with some kinda weird extreme socio-political ecological agenda than just skatin' and gettin' high or whatever. i was so much older then...

it was just as much, if not more, about rockin the fuck out. that's what i got out of it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 3:45 pm

ISS coach was way easier to fuck with.

And come to think of it, I don't think he ever busted smokers on bathroom breaks unless we had pissed him of before in ISS.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 7:54 pm

ISS coach was way easier to fuck with.

What about Coach Porter?...always entertaining when harrassed. I often spent my lunch hour passing by study hall and flinging random shit through the door...rolls of toilet paper, a couple hundred expired condoms that I stole from my job at Kroger, crude drawings of Porter with farm animals. Ahhhh, nostalgia.

And who could forget JP's "meat is murder" leather jacket?
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 9:17 pm

ISS coach = Coach Porter
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 10:12 pm

ISS coach = Coach Porter

Oh. I never had ISS.
When I got suspended, I did it right.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 9:47 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Would the G'town Hardcore Vegan Straighedgers who run Rocket Science please get in touch with me or Eric?

My email is in my profile.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 12:27 pm

"I don't give a damn one way or another, but to this day, I can't stand being in a room full of liberals while I'm sober."

Holy shit! Welcome to my life.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 1:15 pm

Minor Threat SUCKS!
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 1:50 pm

I love listening to Minor Threat and drinking beer to this day.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Stooges & Bourbon!
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Faith and Tequiza!
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Did Marshall work at El Chico for a while and go to White Station for a year or so?

eh? Now I'm interested I was WSHS 89-93, but I was boring and worked at k-mart not anywhere cool like squash blossom.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 11:13 pm

that was Marshall. not too long ago, i found a video from a raid show and he's in it several times. katie khilo(furlott) is in it, too.

that band raid used to practice in the bass player's bedroom that he rented in the back of the house where the bass player in my band lived with his mother and 5 year old brother. she was always real cool about lettin people hang out over there and play music and such. i used to think that musta been a crazy environment for that 5 year old kid sometimes. his name was bennett and now he's in the barbaras. tiny town...
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 11:30 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

that musta been a crazy environment for that 5 year old kid sometimes. his name was bennett and now he's in the barbaras

What the fuck?
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 11:31 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I think you just blew my mind in two sentences, dude. Let's hang out again.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 11:35 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

And by the way, if anybody has any info on the Angel bros., that'd be great. Just e-mail me. Luke was cool, but I hung out with Chris and Chad, mostly.
Posted: Sep 13, 2017 2:37 am

violet
One lives in Germantown now.
Posted: Sep 13, 2017 2:39 am

This is interesting.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®