Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / New Not So Good Mexican Joint
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:38 am

Went to Los Comales, located where the Dyers on Summer used to be..right next door to Guadalapana. Chips tasted like frying oil and the guacamole tasted strange as well. Mexican joints are a dime a dozen these days so dont waste your time with this one. Oh well!
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 8:34 am

In Oxford, there's a Mexican video store that has a little illegal restaurant in the back. The menu is limited, but the food is wonderful.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:04 am

i tried los comales last week and left w/ the same impression.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm

dyers shut down?!?!? they just put up that deck.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 12:50 pm

dyers on Summer is gone. there's one on beale st
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 2:05 pm

I think they moved one out to Germantown and maybe moved the Summer one across and down the street some.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 5:32 pm

I know this is probably an obvious question, but why on earth would you go to the place next to La Guadulapana?
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 5:52 pm

good question...i guess after a weekly visit to the guad for eight years it seemed like a good idea to break with tradition and try something different.

it wasn't.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 6:12 pm

i hadn't gotten adventurous enough to try it yet. glad someone else got to it before i did. i am picky about mexican food. guad has me spoiled and i have gotten to the point of where i almost refuse to eat mexican food anywhere else, even if there are margaritas involved. (hey, note that i said *almost*.)
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:32 pm

i like el 7 mares too.
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 8:27 pm

I haven't eaten there since about '96 or so when it was called something else. However, it's run by the family of one of my kids, so I've been meaning to check it out.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 1:13 am

I tried the Mexican place on Summer by the Lenny's Sub shop near Grahm (where Gridley's used to be; right before Pop Tunes). The name escapes me now, however. And no, it's not La Espiga. It wasn't as good as the Guad, but it was still great.

Hey, if mainly Mexicans are eating there and the wait staff can barely speak English, it's always a good sign.

I REALLY want to try this taquería on Llamar I saw coming into town. My bandmate has tried it a few times and highly recommends it.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 8:06 am

Where is 7 Mares?? Ive seen it but cant remember where it is. Is it on Jackson?
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 8:40 am | Edited by: eric o

i've tried the place on lamar... in a minimall next to a mexican store w/boots & stuff (i think)?

not bad, definitely not especially gringo friendly, but really cheap.

7 Mares used to be Acapulco and was pretty much the only decent mexican for a long time. it's still all right.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:08 am

if yer goin down jackson towards raleigh, 7 mares is right over that bridge that goes over the military lookin cemetary on the right.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am

I gotya. Ima check it out.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:21 am

even though the food is merely just "ok",...The Happy Mexican has the best margaritas....the Jumbo top shelf packs a helluva wallop...for only $8 a pop, its the best liquor deal in town...a couple Jumbos (24 oz. each) will have you mighty wobbly after 2...
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:35 am

Los Compadres margaritas will knock your dick in the dirt...food is pretty fresh too
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:44 am

Los Compadres margaritas will knock your dick in the dirt...food is pretty fresh too

I don't have margaritas very often but theirs are good, yes.
I have noticed a decline in the food over maybe the last year or so, but can't quite put my finger on it. Anybody with me on this?
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:01 am

yeha compadres seems to be going down a bit and it wasn't amazing to start with, but that chicken soup there is still bad ass. acapulco was better than 7 mares only because it had the pepper pickled veggies that we're absolutely perfect. i need to tell them to bring those back.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:08 am

The food at Compadres and El Porton is exactly the same to me. Pretty half assed and the beans are always watery and nasty. Ive sat at the bar at Compadres before and watched those dudes in the kitchen. The are sloppin that shit out. Tastes ok but its half ass. Chips and salsa and Dos Esquis be good dough.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:09 am

yeha compadres seems to be going down a bit and it wasn't amazing to start with, but that chicken soup there is still bad ass.

I'm with you on this - the soup is tremendous.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 11:33 am

I like Burger King
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 12:19 pm

The place on Lamar is El Gallo Giro. I used to go there when I worked for a printing place near the airport. The food was always good, but sometimes you were a little unnerved when the hookers would run in and hide in the bathrooms. And, it happened fairly regularly.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Los Compadres margaritas will knock your dick in the dirt...

dont have anything on happy mexican...im tellin ya...plus they taste about 100 times better than LC's....
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 9:57 pm

That jumbo top-shelf at HM is pretty fierce. the food is ass-tastic at HM, though. "Salt burrito with salt sauce" pretty well summed it up ...
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:42 pm

the "other" other place on summer is probably El Palomar. Tried it once, fresh food, expensive, huge portions. warm tomato-based salsa. very mexican.

still not as good as guad to me.
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:45 pm

I have noticed a decline in the food over maybe the last year or so, but can't quite put my finger on it. Anybody with me on this?

i'm with you on this.

i said this in the other mexican food thread... sonoran cuisine (beans/rice/goopy cheese that most people think is Mexican Food) is pretty average-to-mediocre on a good day anyway. out of all the regional cuisines mexico has to offer, its the one lacking in character. add to that having to churn it out in the volumes that los compadres has to... quality declines fast.

2 common short cuts for volume feeding that equal bleh sonoran cuisine:

1) using anything other than lard to make refried beans (ie: getting them out of a can already "refried") results in flavorless, texture-less brown sludge
2) cheap cheese (ie: low quality - made w/ vegetable oil/shortening - as in "cheese product" rather than a dairy product)

don't know if this is los compadres' practice, but more likely than not, they're not using lard in their beans. i got their tamales once, and the masa was too dry for my preference and the meat inside not as tender as it should have been.

mostly, their food is not spicy enough for me, but that could be just me. the lack of flavorful fire in mexican food gets a big thumbs down.

the margaritas (not frozen) and chips/salsa are alright and completely potable and snackable, and i do love the cheese dip, not matter how velveeta-like it is.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 9:16 am

that chicken soup there is still bad ass.
Last time I went to Los C after not having gone in a while, I got the soup and it was the worst, as was everything else. Very unfortunate. Jerryd and I started going to El Mezcal on Union after they opened for our gringo Mexican fix - their sopa pollo is really, really good, but you have to order it with light salt. Also good sopa is at the place on Highland where Mojo's used to be. Haven't been there in ages though. La Guad still wins in all categories though.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 10:48 am

El Mezcal on Union

i ate there a few months ago - was taken there by someone who was concerned my california taste buds might not like memphis mex at all, but it was great. loved the salsa!
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 10:56 am

Shrimp of the Devil at Guad is the greatest!
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 11:21 am

los playtas..by the bass pro shop ans bibles for china..was my stop off before work...until i got the oysters and puked..then being a fucking idiot i go back there next week and get the octopus ceviche tostada thing was fucking gross shit... the shrimp tastada thing i got was actually cut with fucking catfish and that was really not pleasant...sucks when you want something ,more than just a bean burrito you run a great risk of being dissatisfied or worse food poisoning
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am

or worse food poisoning

i hear you!!

alas -- it can also happen at posh places. i went 2 years without eating mussels because of a bad pan roast at the world famous, very expensive oyster bar in NYC.

i don't even order ceviche at restaurants anymore... i'm too scared
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 12:28 pm

That jumbo top-shelf at HM is pretty fierce. the food is ass-tastic at HM, though. "Salt burrito with salt sauce" pretty well summed it up ...

they do carnitas pretty well...they fry em until crisp, like they are supposed to be...not cooked like grandma's pork roast, like most other places around do (except for Guadalapana, they do em perfect)...however, I have never had anything else besides carnitas and booze at Hap Mex...
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 3:10 pm

the "other" other place on summer is probably El Palomar. Tried it once, fresh food, expensive, huge portions. warm tomato-based salsa. very mexican.

That's it.

still not as good as guad to me.

Agreed.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 3:12 pm

always tempted by the place on airways on the southeast corner right as you hit the 240 loopers to your right... sign's all in spanish, except they promise food "muy quick"!
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Don't go to that place on Airways. I made that mistake once trying to "branch out" with some friends from work, as we were completely bored with the food we had been getting for lunch. When I left there I thought I had Dysentary. Los Mariscos (i think its called) is another one I thought was going to haunt me for a while. It caused a serious case of the doom farts.
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll admire their sign and lose the urge to sample their burritos. Is Los Mariscos on Winchester, across from Guad #2? Kinda expensive seafood, and not so hot. Rather go eat Korean or Thai if I'm in that area...
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 11:38 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Rather go eat Korean or Thai if I'm in that area...

Where is the Korean joint?

Anyone know how the Thai spot across form the Hickory Ridge Mall next tot he asian market fared in the Tornados? I love that minced Chicken and Basil dish they have...
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah, that it the place on Winchester. We walked in and were given a sample cup of some kind of seafood soup that was a bit suspect, to say the least. I tried to play it safe and went with a burrito. It was not a safe play.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Korean = Asiana Garden Restaurant. 5992 Mount Moriah Rd

check it out. lunch specials look especially good, though i've never made it out there for lunch.

thai out there is chao praya.
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 10:10 pm

check it out. lunch specials look especially good, though i've never made it out there for lunch.

fantastic. been wondering if there was any korean food to be had in memphis (other than the Kimchi at kwik check).
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 8:58 am

was great last night!

in the same area is BI BIM BAP... haven't tried it.
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Is Los Mariscos on Winchester, across from Guad #2? Kinda expensive seafood, and not so hot

that place is pretty good. their cubed garlic seafood is tasty. it is a bit pricey, but they have an extensive menu and the complimentary soup with the octupus is fine. i've eaten there several times.
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Top shelf! Just got back...we sat at one of the BBQ tables and had the BBQ beef and pork. Loved everything (wasnt crazy about the little dried fish things though). Damn fine meal with some beers....loads of middle aged Koreans dudes talking loud and getting shit-faced on Soju...
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 1:17 am

Top shelf! Just got back...we sat at one of the BBQ tables and had the BBQ beef and pork. Loved everything (wasnt crazy about the little dried fish things though). Damn fine meal with some beers....loads of middle aged Koreans dudes talking loud and getting shit-faced on Soju...

GREAT place. A Korean friend turned me on to this place, as well as another who's name escapes me.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®