Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Andre Allen Not Going to San Antonio
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:32 pm

Oh no.

According to team officials, University of Memphis basketball player Andre Allen did not travel with the team to San Antonio.

Officials declined to say why the senior guard didn't make the trip. Nor would they say if he was suspended. However, he was not at the team's practice Wednesday.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:34 pm

Grrrrrrreat. Well, the way he has been playing, it isn't too huge of a loss, but mentally that is going to wear on these guys, whatever the cause.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:47 pm

he could still go, right? maybe he had a family emergency or something.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:48 pm

That is what I am hoping...in a backward sort of way. Sorry, Andre.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:50 pm

We haven't gotten anything confirmed yet. But it doesn't sound like a family emergency.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:53 pm

Here is what Action News 5 has to say; he broke team rules.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8110301
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:55 pm

he wasn't at practice today. wreg says he "broke team rules" but they won't confirm that he was suspended.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:58 pm

he better have done something really, really bad.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:59 pm

If he is suspended, he did something severe and blatant.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:04 pm

WTF???
Too cocky?? What??
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:07 pm

It must be bad. Surely Cal wouldn't f-ck with team morale right now.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:11 pm

Didn't he get in trouble for hiring a prostitute a while back?
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:15 pm

on a side note, i can't stop laughing at the picture of him from the action news 5 link saispas posted. it's totally the look he had to have had on his face when he was suspended.

seriously though, this fucking blows. can't he just be suspended from practicing or something?
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:36 pm

he better have done something really, really bad.

that's for goddamn sure. fuck it. we'll do it without him. if he fucked up and he ain't there, then he shouldn't be anyway. we don't need that kind of bad fuckin energy.

GO TIGERS!

jeanice, i would LOVE it if you came to watch the game with us saturday at the hi tone. man it's ON!
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:45 pm

Two words: Willie Kemp.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:50 pm

WMC-5 sez he failed a random NCAA drug test. Conspiracy-minded folks on the Commercial Appeal comment board are already asking if all four teams were randomly tested.

Whatever, it's a big distraction to deal with over the next 48 hours... I wish they could have just said his ankle was acting up again.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:54 pm

mandated by Cal, not the NCAA, so he could be back before saturday.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 9:57 pm

WMC-5 sez he failed a random NCAA drug test.
Smoke a dope uh??

Yeah, I can't believe he'll not play.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:01 pm

mandated by Cal, not the NCAA, so he could be back before saturday.

i'm with ya robin
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:05 pm

Here's Cal talking about the suspension.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:14 pm | Edited by: saispas

Well, Cal handled that well. GO WILLIE KEMP! Ryan was saying during the Texas game how much more confident and smooth Kemp seemed in the role than Andre.

Oh, and I just may be flying in SATURDAY!!!
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:17 pm

Jesus, Cal looks/sounds piiiiiissed.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:27 pm

I would be furious...I mean, when you KNOW there is the possibility of a random drug test and you are in finally in a position (and you have known that THIS COULD BE IT for the entire season) to win the damn NCAA Div I Championship...and you can't stay away from the weed (assuming it is The Weed)? Celebrate later!

Get some willpower, child.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:28 pm

Playing Devil's Advocate here (outside of his history), but just looking at the facts we do know,

Wouldn't "not being at practice" without a good reason be a violation in itself?
I'm not suggesting that anyone asked him to not be there, but, on it's face, wouldn't that be a violation? I haven't seen the list of team rules, or anything.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:31 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4q0STXvxRWM
the heart and soul of the tigers. damn.

Wouldn't "not being at practice" without a good reason be a violation in itself?
Yeah, but would they suspend him for it? He didn't get suspended when he solicited a prostitute. Joey didn't get suspended for makin' it rain. Robert D didn't get suspended for hitting his ex- he missed one totally unimportant game and didn't get to start the next. The fact that Cal is suspending him at all, much less during this game of all games, is worrisome at best.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:35 pm

But Cal said he may come back.

My problem with local news (sorry journalists out there), 9 times out of 10 when they "jump on a big story", they inevitably get something wrong.

Everybody knows Andre is a friend of the weed. I don't doubt the inclination to accept it right off. I'm just saying, local news out the gate gets it wrong more often than right.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:41 pm

Everybody knows Andre is a friend of the weed.

Maybe it wasn't weed.

I'm trying to stay positive. We've got Jesse Jackson and Bootsy Collins behind us, for chrissakes! We can't lose!
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:45 pm | Edited by: elle

i dunno. they randomly tested 4 of the memphis players and only he failed. *shrugs* i don't think it was cal that did it. here's what the ncaa has to say about drug testing:

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/legislation_and_governance/eligibility_and _ recruiting/drug_testing_q_and_a.html
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:46 pm

Bootsy Collins behind us, for chrissakes! We can't lose!

watched the UT game with Bootsy and his drunkass cousin at the marriot (folk alliance conference)

we lost. but i anit sc"red. no hex here. we are WINNERS!
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:53 pm

i don't think it was cal that did it.

Cal said he suspended Andre. And said it was team rules. Which (I would think) could definitely include failing drug tests. But no one anywhere (so far) has said he missed practice because he was told not to participate. I would think that would have been brought up much earlier today.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 11:02 pm

Just a thought- steroids? He's obviously got some insecurity about his size. It makes a lot more sense that he would be suspended for steroids than for weed.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 9:06 am

Just a thought- steroids?

Oh god, would he be that stupid? I wonder if they test for HGH? Anyway, I bet this is about weed or it better just be weed, esp. after reading that ridiculously tragic story in the CA this AM:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/apr/03/team-tragedy/
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 10:04 am

snap. John Wilfong. that's a name I haven't heard in a decade or 2.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 10:29 am

What in the bad karma damn hell? Why on earth would Calkins write that story right now. Fuck that asshole. He's dead to me now.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 10:32 am

a color photo of Baskerville's head stone at the top of the cover of the sport's section?

Why the negativity?

Wrong on so many levels...
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 10:36 am

i know... what a weird bunch of stories two days before the biggest game in years.

Caulkins coulda twisted it all back to a positive with.... "they did it to themselves... and they'll have to pull themselves through this challenge like they've done all year" kinda deal... but no.

maybe this is a way to keep the tigers from being favorites!
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 10:50 am | Edited by: saispas

maybe this is a way to keep the tigers from being favorites!

I was mad but then I thought of it as a bit of the old reverse jinx-a-roo: Down, down, down and they WIN! Everyone was all psyched to kick Tennessee's ass and you see what happened there.

But still, I got more than a bit teary seeing that "Batman" tombstone.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 11:05 am

Now I'm even more bummed than I was last night. Dern it.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 11:41 am

joey's story about meeting his dad just about did me in. too.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 12:04 pm

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 12:04 pm

william bedford is in prison?? yeesh.

i dunno. i think it's karmically weird that he wrote this story now, but maybe all the tigers will read it and it'll feed that underdog vengeance line that coach cal has been feeding them all year. it seems to have been a pretty big motivation thus far, no?

i've never seen a picture of baskerville holmes' grave before. totally teary.

but WHY did he pick joey dorsey, of all people, and ask him if he knows who baskerville holmes is??????? he totally cursed him! this sucks! if joey tanks on saturday, it's all geoff calkins' fault!
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 1:59 pm

yikes. that story about the 85 team kind of creeped me out in a weird way, especially at the end. someone should kick calkins' ass. shame on him.

why does he have to be so negative? he's such a hater. he is living in the wrong damn town if he has no hope.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 2:11 pm

Jason Smith! Jason Smith! Move him up from Preps!

(Have to represent Stonewall Street circa 1980's. Known that kid since he was about 5)
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 6:10 pm

Cal seems less angry in this interview today. Great stuff. He says D-Mack will be the key to the game(s).
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 6:42 pm

I feel better now. Thanks!

I hereby declare a media ban until Tuesday.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 6:48 pm

i want to send william bedford cookies in jail.
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 8:23 pm

This just in! Pierre Niles' Myspace sexual orientation answer= "No Answer"
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 2:00 pm

from the ncaabb boards:
Andre Allen STRONG RUMOR !!!!!!!!!

From a very reliable Tiger source, Andre's results were a false positive. He took a shot for the shoulder injury suffered in the Miss. State game. He was re-tested and passed, and now he is waiting for reinstatement.

STAY TUNED.

OK...i heard that lastnight too and heard he was already on a flight to SA. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to get everyone's hopes up.

But that's TWO people that have heard it.

HUH??
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 3:08 pm

WHAT?????

What does superfan Womb Raider have to say about this?
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 12:05 am

Posted: Apr 7, 2008 12:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpRBP3kJN-4

Horrible song by white dudes, but 1:01 looks like ed o.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 12:17 am

it is terrible. i couldn't believe they actually did that cuz i love andre allen. don't get me wrong. i'm disappointed, but i'm sad he couldn't go cuz hell he probably was just enjoyin a lil ghetty green so i can't hate on him. he just shoulda known that they would random test any of the team.

and you're right about 1:01 lookin like ed o. heehee.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 12:31 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

i love andre allen

Me too.
We call him "Li'l Ricky" because he looks like a shorter version of a dude we know named Ricky. And I know dudes who have tipped the bong a time or two with him a long time ago (or, claim they did). I don't hate on him, either. He's just a man in college.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 12:48 am

He's just a man in college.

eggzactly.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 2:20 am

Do we know for sure it was weed?
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 8:05 am

he just shoulda known that they would random test any of the team.

He didn't know?
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 12:17 pm

i like andre allen, but what an idiot. tiger team has a lot of em
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®