Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Mexican Coke
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:50 pm

Anyone know where I can get me some of those mexican coca-colas made with cane syrup? Damn, they are good, but not worth the $2 that the restaurants are charging.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:51 pm

Try that market on Cleveland between Poplar and Madison. I think it's next to the Asian Market.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:54 pm

Stock up on Passover Coke (w /cane sugar) at Kroger at Mendenhall and Sanderlin. Look for 2 liters with yellow caps.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 7:05 pm

Good advice. Thanks!
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 7:37 pm

there was a little mexican restaurant near the new nam king on summer that had them a coupla years ago. I don't know if it is even still there.

What about at Guadalupana?
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 7:40 pm

they're pretty cheap at this gas station on Perkins, just north of Summer.
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 8:09 pm

Posted: Apr 3, 2008 12:46 pm

If you ever find yourself in the middle of Texas, try and get a "Dublin" Dr. Pepper...it is from the plant that made the original Dr. Pepper...they still use cane sugar...top shelf
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey toadie why do you want to be mexican so bad, why don't you go fuck yourself? Ever thought of that?
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 10:17 am

viet hoa has em usually and a super charged orange flavur coke thats good with the duck
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 6:04 pm

Yes, I have, I am taking yoga classes to get myself limber enough to accomplish that wonderful feat. No foreplay or post-coital smalltalk needed. To answer your first question, I have no desire to be Mexican, I just like the taste of the Coca-Colas of my younger days, when they were made with cane sugar.
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 11:32 am

I noticed another Mexican market next to Bryant's the other day. It's also next to that Mexican restaurant and bakery L'Espigas (?) that may not be there anymore because the the sign says L'e Pig on the front!
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 12:54 pm

How is that Sara Market on Park?
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 3:59 pm

Sara Supermercado has a great meat selection. Fresh chicarones, in-house chorizo and other cured meats. Large dry-goods selection too. Good people. Go there. Squirrel approved (yes I sent him there, but no relationship) http://squirrel-squad.blogspot.com/2008/02/sara-market.html

La Espiga (from a year or so ago) has a decent selection, but features(d) a bakery too. Good restaurant in the back (some say better than Guadalupana, but not to me).
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 9:20 pm

Sorry folks, but most Mexican Coke isn't even made with real sugar anymore. Most bottlers switched to the high fructose corn syrup recently to save money. Check the label to be sure. Even with HFCS, it's still better than American stuff, just because of the glass bottle.

Rumpleforeskin is right on about the Passover Coke, though. That's always cane sugar because corn is not Kosher for Passover. Passover starts next Saturday night and ends the evening of April 26, so start smurfing for Passover Coke now. I didn't know about the cap color code, but the stuff will always say "Kosher for Passover" somewhere on the can/label. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that stuff in a glass bottle since about 1976.
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 8:00 pm

The store next to La Espiga had them, in the 355 ml size AND the 500 ml size! Plus, some imported kettle-cooked habanero chips that had an interesting sort of flavour, and a burn that lasted. Yep, the Coke label said sugar, and damn, two of them put my wicked hangover to rest. Thanks, Goners!
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 5:19 pm | Edited by: Memphis Weirdo

FYI, I went to Rumple's Kroger @ Mendenhall and Sanderlin, and found the yellow-capped kosher cokes. They aren't in the regular coke section... they're in the kosher section, which is one aisle over from the coke section. The list of ingredients for the yellow-caps indeed says "sucrose" instead of "high fructose corn syrup".

I am a longtime coke fiend; I drink at least a 2-liter per day. I hope these jewish yellow-cap cokes are good (like in the pre-1985 days, before the new coke and coke classic bullshit), because I bought a year's supply.

Three for five dollars.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Emilio's Grocery has Mexican coke. Two locations : Getwell just south of i-240 and Stateline Road at Highway 51. I paid 2.48 for two half -liters. The sugar/caffeine rush I got was awesome . My hands shook for 30 minutes and I couldn't go to sleep until 6:30 AM.
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 7:28 pm

alright.... weirdo & rumple... i'm going drinking with you two next weekend. it IS passover after all. i'm stocking up!
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Oh.......
You mean Coca-Cola.
Damn!
I thought this was...
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 4:12 am

Oh.......
You mean Coca-Cola.

HEY!!!

When we're talking about the "real thing", THIS stuff is better than THAT stuff.
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 2:15 pm

never was a big fan of the Mexican coke. Try a little further south!
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm

"If you ever find yourself in the middle of Texas, try and get a "Dublin" Dr. Pepper...it is from the plant that made the original Dr. Pepper...they still use cane sugar...top shelf"

IN THE GLASS BOTTLES! YES!
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 9:31 pm

"If you ever find yourself in the middle of Texas, try and get a "Dublin" Dr. Pepper...it is from the plant that made the original Dr. Pepper...they still use cane sugar...top shelf"

no kidding. stuff is soooooooo good. i LOVE it.
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 8:14 am

Dublin Dr. Pepper, available by the case online:

www.olddocs.com
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®