Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Alterations?
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:11 am | Edited by: saispas

I am starting to go through my stuff to sell prior to getting the fuck outta Florida and am wondering if anyone on this board can recommend a local seamstress for alterations. I need stuff from replacing zippers to completely sizing down a 1974 Norma Kamali dress.

I'd rather give my $$$ to a Memphian.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 12:12 pm

i know that ohlala does some of that stuff. but i don't know if she is back in memphis for good or not.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 12:54 pm

I go to Nadwanis on Union. A real nice older lady named Pearl does the altering in the back. Its on the North side of the street just before Union crosses Parkway.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Don't go to Touch of Class on Perkins. She's done things for me twice and messed up both times. You would think I would learn the first time...
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 8:19 pm

N. Mclean, by Snowden school.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Tony has a tailor downtown...old guy. I'll find out more info.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Please do; so far the Nadwanis sounds good or someone close near Snowden. I really need someone who can do it right; this dress alteration will be tough.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:16 pm

There's a ton of trannies on Cleaveland.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Oh. Oh, I see.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:24 pm

Nadwanis sounds good

Talk to KO about Nadwanis, they fucked her over.
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 9:38 pm

UH-oh. Never mind. I know there has to be someone out there. Lemme know if you hear of anything.
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 12:21 pm

Howdy---I can do alterations on most anything for a small fee. Just don't ask me to put a zipper into a pair of jeans, it's too painful!
I'd have to look at the vintage dress to see what can be done. If it's gonna need to go down more than one size or so, then it'll probably need to be taken completely apart and put back together again, so everything's proportional. If that's the case, it'll cost you much more.
Also, since you're talking about vintage material, you have to be sure it's strong enough and in good enough condition to make it thru surgery.
email me if interested.

acmedarling1975@yahoo.com
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 1:06 pm

if it's gonna need to go down more than one size or so, then it'll probably need to be taken completely apart and put back together again, so everything's proportional. If that's the case, it'll cost you much more.

It will; one size in the hips and probably 2 in the bust.

The fabric is a majorly strong crepe; I think it should be fine.

I will email you.
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Nadwani took in one pair of pants for me, and they did such a great job that I wanted all my pants taken in.
I took in a crappy pair of khaki cargo pants with high hopes, and then I forgot about them. When I showed up a month and a half later, they had no idea what i was talking about.
'my fault, really. I still recommend them.
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Anybody do competent repair work? I have a 50 year old overcoat that needs the lining seams stitched up and the button holes redone.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®