Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Herenton=more bullshit
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 12:45 pm

From the CA (apparently staffers at the Memphis Library are dropping like flies...)

In December, Judith Drescher, director of the library system for 23 years, retired unexpectedly with her deputy director, Sallie Johnson, and Val Crook in human resources.

It was widely circulated that Drescher had been told that Mayor Willie Herenton was not going to reappoint her to the post. Drescher declined to talk about the matter.

But the controversy continued last month, when Herenton appointed Keenon McCloy over libraries despite her not having a library science degree, considered a requisite in many library circles.

The mayor further rankled library supporters when he named Michael Gray, his former bodyguard and a former city division deputy director, as deputy director of libraries. Herenton dismissed criticism about his library appointments, saying "a manager is a manager."

After a reporter made several attempts to reach McCloy for comment this week on the pending personnel departures, she instructed a staffer to direct media inquiries to the mayor's spokeswoman. A request on Thursday for information was not returned.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 10:50 am

I have a friend who is (now was) the Director of the training dept at the Memphis library. He's been there for YEARS and moved up the ranks to get to his position. As a result of Herrenton's new appointments, he has lost his job with the library and is being transferred to a position with the city as simply "a trainer". Huge paycut. He said he was recently at a libarary meeting where Michael Gray spoke to the staff. Apparently, Mr. Gray is not much of a reader and his grammar skills proved it- he misused and mispronounced several 25 cent words. Shame!
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 11:15 am

Im friends with Kennon Mccloy so I aint gots much to say about it.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:48 pm

This whole thing is the problem with Memphis city government in a nutshell. Every position is seen as potential patronage, not as an actual job that needs somebody competent doing it. Hell, it's the same problem with the federal government. Loyalty to the Leader is what is important, not ability and knowledge. And then you get Michael Brown at the head of FEMA when the shit hits the fan.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 1:03 pm

putting someone in charge of a library without a library science degree is a bit of a weird decision. regardless of any type of business experience, running a library is a lot different than running any other type of business. a person can be well educated and have a ton of management experience and still fail at running a library properly since they don't know what type of things to really be doing that build up the library.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 1:21 pm

From the CA

Did they just plagiarize this whole thing from the Flyer article?

Read about it there, first, a month ago.

Every position is seen as potential patronage, not as an actual job that needs somebody competent doing it.

Extend this further to pretty much all corners of the workforce.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 1:39 pm

McCloy's a smart, competent person, all in all, probably a defensible hire/transer. Where Willie steps in it is when he names four former body guards/police officers as deputy library directors, department heads, etc. and gives them 70 percent raises. That shit looks suspiciously like a payoff: "Here's your reward for not sayin' nuthin' 'bout what you saw on Willie Watch. Enjoy your pension at your new pay-grade, my bros!" And fuck the taxpayers!
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 2:00 pm

regardless of mccloy's credentials, you should still have a degree in library science to run a library. just sayin'. she may very well be competent and intelligent, but a library isn't a regular business.

Every position is seen as potential patronage, not as an actual job that needs somebody competent doing it.

Extend this further to pretty much all corners of the workforce.

pretty much.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 3:36 pm

Where Willie steps in it is when he names four former body guards/police officers as deputy library directors, department heads, etc. and gives them 70 percent raises. That shit looks suspiciously like a payoff: "Here's your reward for not sayin' nuthin' 'bout what you saw on Willie Watch. Enjoy your pension at your new pay-grade, my bros!" And fuck the taxpayers!

That is what I am sayin'.

And regardless of how smart, nice etc McCloy is, I too have a problem with her running a major library system without that degree. It devalues the profession and degree (not to mention graduate school) as a whole. I go through this same bullshit in my field when they hire people with bachelors degrees in Sociology to manage mental health programs or do therapy...I know plenty of sociologists who are very, very smart and great at research and may even have a future as a therapist with more training, but have no clue how to be a therapist RIGHT NOW. Some things you can learn on the job, some you really need some education.

She should at least go back and get the masters while remaining in that position. This is what they make others do in other professions who aren't prepared academically.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 3:49 pm

Everyone needs to chill out about Herenton! Joseph Lee didn't know squadoosh about mlgw before Herenton put him in charge there and that worked out great for everybody. Robert Lipscomb knew nothing about negotiating Pyramid deals before he met Bass Pro folk and that's a great deal for all citizens. Everything's gonna be fine with Herenton's security guy running background checks on your library card applications.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 3:57 pm

Also, the guy who replaced McCloy --somebody named Moody (don't know if he used to work security or not...)--and is in charge of the music commission hire is totally perfect for the job. Everyone around town calls him "the music man." Should be great for all musicians and music related businesses. He's in charge of the new hire at the music commission that McCloy didn't get around to doing...
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 6:45 pm

kenneth moody was a tiger back in the 80's.

have a friend who is friends with mr. lee and she tried to tell me what a great guy he is and how that was gonna make it right at the mlgw.

i'm starting to look at king willie as our own personal anti-christ. he seems hell bent on destroying this city.

can only hope the fbi has more shit to bring out in the open.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®