Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Looking for a job
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:34 am

While I'm at it. I'm looking to move to Memphis between now and the next decade but I'd kinda like to have a job so I can eat, pay rent, so forth and so on. I've been working at a data center here in dyersburg for like four years so I know computers and everything but all the job boards are looking for supervisors and managers and I don't think I'm up for that. Sooo if anyone who works in an office, knows someone who works in an office, knows someone whos knows someone who works in an office and knows of something or knows of someplace I can look. it would be greatly appreciated!
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:41 am

No offense, but in a data center doing what? Running back-up jobs, ftp-ing shit, running end of day scripts, or sweeping the floor?
What's your skillz? I don't know of any jobs off-hand, but I could keep an eye open.

Don't post your resume, or anything, but what kind of work do you do?
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:48 am

Running back-up jobs, ftp-ing shit, running end of day scripts, basically. I work for a bank so I do the batch processing, back up the system, send and recieve files and fix whatever basic technical problems we might have. I know networking pretty well, we moved to a new facility like two years ago and I helped set it up and it's a pretty massive network.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:49 am

Don't post your resume, or anything, but what kind of work do you do?

Wouldn't the answer to "...what kind of work do you do?" fall under the "...or anything..." you told dude not to post?
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:57 am

Well, the tech job market here is kind of tight, but it seems like there's some turn-over every few months. Couple of banks, too. Networking helps.
Really, those skills you can apply to a lot of things, just depends on what you're looking for. I can help to look around.

And never listen to DiscoHarry. He hates Memphis, Memphians, is a snob in general, and has shitty taste in music.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:58 am

thanks, i'll keep all that in mind
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:10 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Check the Memphis Business Journal. It's online here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/

It's a good idea to look into the news to see what some of the businesses are doing, see if anything they are doing interests you might have or maybe you might have experience in the industry they're reporting, and check out their sites for job opportunities. When you submit a resume, gear it towards what they are trying to accomplish and tell them how you can help based off what you know. If they don't have a "jobs" or "careers" section on the page, hit their "contact us" and send an e-mail telling them you read about them, know what they're talking about, and is it o.k. to submit a resume.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:10 am

oh and as a side note i'm not unwilling to take other work. It's just that if I can keep a "career" and move that would be all the better. You know an extra buck or two to buy the good ramen.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:12 am

hey thanks i've never even seen this
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:19 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

That's just one place. I'm sure you've looked in the Commercial appeal and Memphis Flyer, those are good resources, too. But for anything outside of that, just type into google your interest and Memphis. Sooner or later you'll run into a business you think is cool, related to what you're looking for, or fits your needs. Basic shit, but the same rules above apply.
Most of those decisions are going to be based on what you want or what you need to make.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:31 am

yeah i check commercial appeal almost daily but I haven't tried googling anything yet. that's a great idea. Like I said i'm not picky really just something to pay the rent. thanks alot
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:33 am

Respectfully yours,
Your Guidance Councelor

I should schedule a Goner training class, "How to Sell Yourself for the Career You Want!"

We'll drink beer, of course.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:36 am | Edited by: pjpefko

that's a great idea. actually do you know of any beer taste tester jobs available? I'm willing to work overtime. And weekend and nights for that matter
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:44 am

Off the top of my head,

Banks with Data Centers in Memphis
First Tennessee
Independent
Regions
First Data (closing and a skeleton crew)
First South

Businesses with Data Centers that are not banks, but perform Payment Functions (transactions, yeah, it's still a file that has to be done late at night) with Data Centers in Memphis:
Anything at the Airport
FedEx
Autozone
J.P. Morgan
Harrahs
Some trade firms downtown

Terms to search for job description
Network Admin
Operations
Systems Administrator
Data Back-up
EDI

Other places those job descriptions could come in handy:
St. Jude
International Paper
Smith-Kline

Again, I don't know the details of your degree/non-degree, experience, needs, etc. Don't really want to know (other than if you play guitar, drums, saxaphone or zither). But good luck!
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:45 am

Sorry, that's not beer related. For beer tasting jobs, you should be a musician.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:58 am

actually I do play in a band here in dyersburg but I don't know if i would call myself a musician
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 3:04 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

BEER TASTING IT IS!

Again, good luck. Holler back if none of that works, or e-mail me.

I gotta go pass out, because my comma placement has gone henous and I don't want to sleep through the game tomorrow.

Good night.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 3:06 am

PARTY!
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 3:09 am

thanks man later
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:21 pm

I like indeed.com for browsing jobs:

URL
I'd add International Ppaer to Jacks' list. and ServiceMaster (I think).

I'd be shocked if any of the banks were hiring right now. Regions/UP/Morgan Keegan is a mess. FTN is a little bit smaller mess and Suntrust (fka NBC) is consolidating and doesn't have a datacenter here anymore now that i reread jack's post.

Securas is an IT company based way out in Collierville that's hiring a ton (and paying well right now--almost so well you can't expect the gravy train to continue). masterIT appears to be growing.

good luck
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 3:07 pm

I need a very computer literate office manager. I doubt this is the kind of job you are looking for, but just figured I throw that out as an option. Must be proficient with Excel. We're a social service agency, so we can't pay squat- at least not right now. On a positive note, we're located in the heart of Midtown on Madison Ave. Lemme know if you're interested.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Lady J do you have a job description you could email me?
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 10:08 pm

hey taterhead indeed.com is great! I found a job at harrah's that would be perfect and I just put in my resume. Everyone keep your fingers crossed! If anyone else has any ideas I'm still open. Thanks for all the help! Ok I'm going out for a beer or something. All work and no play makes pj... go crazy? Don't mind if I do!
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 1:15 pm

You're from Dyersburg? I grew up near Halls.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 11:17 pm

really when were you there?
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm

really when were you there?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 12:22 am

Um, 79 - 97
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:27 am

awesome! and my sympathy as well. Do you know Tony or nicole?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 10:02 am

Lady J do you have a job description you could email me?

Sure do. What's your email address?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 11:04 am

denniscordermiller@yahoo.com thanks!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Do you know Tony or nicole?

Tony Luttrell? Nicole Ward?
I know them well.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:06 pm

yep, that's the one. I hang out with tony all the time. we've had to have met. weird
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®