Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Any advice on cheap flights to Memphis???
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 4:17 am

I'll be coming there for the weekend of Mar. 7th - 9th... any suggestions on where to look for cheapo flights?... have looked on Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, etc... & they all seem to hover around the $300 - $350 range for round trip... that seems too expensive, but what do I know?....
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 4:20 am

flap your arms really hard...
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:38 am

very funny - I'm SERIOUS!
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 6:03 am

not a great option, but you can prob fly to little rock for cheaper, then drive/get a ride to memphis. should be a shuttle (bettie bus?) that goes to and fro all day long.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 6:04 am

i have a broom you can borrow. :) heheh. just kidding. sometimes you may be able to catch cheaper stuff if northwest is having a promo, but since there's talk of them getting bought out by delta, it may be kinda iffy at the moment.

if you don't mind flying airtran and going outta midway instead of ohare, you can maybe get it cheaper too.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 1:18 pm

i heard the bettie bus don't run no more, but i definitely could be wrong about that. i just flew northwest to Ft. Lauterdale from memphis and bought my ticket through they're sight with not even very much notice, and got a round trip ticket for just 235.00 with taxes and everything. so i guess i would suggest going to their sight and plugging in chi. and mem. and seeing what they have. on their front page there is a feature that lists all the flight possibilities in order from cheapest to highest. if it is high you may want to wait and keep trying every once in a while, because it seems to change about every week or so at least.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Florida flights to Memphis are cheap--ours were $175 round trip nonstop on Northwest, who have a hub in memphis. We have to drive to Orlando though but that is under two hours...way under two hours in the lil speed demon Honda!

I know the airlines just jacked the prices up, so yeah, give it a little bit more time.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 3:12 pm

for $156 you could do this
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 3:45 pm

You could always FedEx yourself. Sometimes FedEx packages arrive in Memphis a day early!
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:13 pm | Edited by: BullyRook

I'd drive. In fact, I'm still driving.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:21 pm

I'd drive. In fact, I'm still driving.

Just like you did to Chicago two weekends ago, freak.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:45 pm

I just got a cheap (and direct!) flight to NYC booked for me by something called Carlson Wagonlit Travel. If you're a student, jerryd mentioned something last night about some agency that caters specifically to students (and maybe teachers). Maybe someone else could remember the name.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 7:57 pm

If you can, wait till the Wednesday before you are going to leave.

After 5 p.m. all the airlines and hotels start dropping rates for that weekend to try to fill up space.

I had good experience with Pricline recently on flight/ hotel combo deal to New Orleans.

Round trip air worked out to be @ $220 which included taxes and airport fees.

Hotel Chateau Le Moyen for $60 a night! Dauphine at Bienville.

You have to be able to wait till the week before you are expecting to go.

Maybe a gamble but usually worth it.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:03 pm

i heard the bettie bus don't run no more, but i definitely could be wrong about that.

it doesn't run anymore. they got sued by some handicap folks for not complying to the ADA. they ended up going bankrupt and going out of business.

but flying in and out of little rock is cheaper. it may be worth it looking into that plus the bus ticket.

the flights to and from chicago seem to not have any trouble getting booked up. i got stuck having to fly out of little rock for an interview once cuz the flights from memphis were still way expensive from a few days before i had to fly and there wasn't much selection.

northwest may seem to be your best bet. just catch them early enough.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:12 pm

After 5 p.m. all the airlines and hotels start dropping rates for that weekend to try to fill up space.

where do you look for the deals? hotwire/priceline or directly on the airline/hotel websites?
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 3:35 am

bill, i've always flown from o'hare to memphis on american and it's always been between 175-190 bucks. i get the a.a. emails about their cheap flights, i'll let you know if i see anything re: memphis.
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 4:57 pm

bill, american has a deal right now where it's $238 round trip from o'hare to memphis. only $199 from o'scare to san diego. high temp is going to be 4 degrees on saturday. i may need to go see my dog.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 6:56 pm | Edited by: boohyah

where do you look for the deals? hotwire/priceline or directly on the airline/hotel websites?

Priceline was the same price as the airline, I even called the airline booking number and the lady said that what I thought was true that they do start discounting on Wed. evenings.

However, the Priceline tickets INCLUDED the airport fees and taxes making it a better deal than the airline.

It was with NWA and was a non-stop flight which you will usually have a lay-over with most discount fares.

I went back to the site a couple of times on Wed. before booking. The deal I took was not on the site at first. I waited and went back on later Wed. evening and there it was, so I jumped on it. Don't forget I got $60 hotel room at nice place in the Quarter on a weekend at bowl game (U of M vs. FAU). Taxes were included in that price as well.

I know this sounds like an ad, and no I don't work for Priceline.

I have used this system before, though.

Just tryin' to help!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®