Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Hey, Memphis ladies: I need haircut!
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 6:05 pm

I am desperate for a trim and a good color. I'm trying to grow my hair out, but I'm feeling a little raggedy and need some maintenance. I know Capelli salon has been mentioned here in the past. Any other recommendations on where I should go?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 6:38 pm

I went to that salon on poplar near the taco bell. I can't remember the name of it though. Decent prices, pretty good cut.

I am pretty sure the girl's name was Blake.

Ask andria - I think someone at Dabbles and of course Capelli
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 7:21 pm

salon on poplar near the taco bell

Paggios?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Gould's at the peabody...ask for Monica - she's a very cool chick who is a MASTER at coloring.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 8:58 pm

I like wigs
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks! This is a great start. I guess I'd really like to know if someone's got a stylist that they absolutely LOVE.

I looked at the Gould's website to check out their prices , which seem pretty standard for an upscale salon. I'm not very concerned about cost as long as the service is good/great. I'm lazy (and busy) so I only get my hair cut about once every 3 months. That said, I'm willing to shell out if the cut will be great and look good for many weeks. But will Dabbles or Capelli or the place on Poplar be substantially less expensive for comparable service? It's probably all about the same, right?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:25 pm

here you go, gina.
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&to pic=31083&page=0

That's the link to Andria's sylist.
(Jesus, I said stylist. To much ANTM for me!)
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:49 pm

I will second Krissy; never seen a bad haircut come off her scissors and her hair looks great, so you know you are with someone with style.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Cool. Thanks, ladies!
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 11:28 pm

i've never had krissy cut my hair but i have known a lot of people who have went to her and LOVE what she does. also, if you wanna stick around in midtown, robin tucker does really fabulous work. costs a pretty penny, but well worth it.

dabbles has a stylist that i love - angela. she's great. it's about 25 for a haircut there and then not too terrible for color either pricewise, but i only go in for touch ups every now and again when i don't feel like making a mess with the hair dye myself.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 2:28 am

Krissy cuts my hair - she's probably my favorite stylist yet. Make your appointment way in advance. I always make my next one while I'm there.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 3:39 pm

But will Dabbles or Capelli or the place on Poplar be substantially less expensive for comparable service? It's probably all about the same, right?

i don't know about dabbles, but capelli won't be less than gould's. i went there before meeting monica (who was originally at rachel's down on main), and i think gould's was actually cheaper....which is sayin' somethin'.

yeah, it won't be cheap, but it'll be good. i'm kind of weird about what product gets put in my hair, so since they use mainly aveda & bumble/bumble, that keeps me happy.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:48 pm

Anyone ever go to Hi Gorgeous?
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi Gorgeous

I quit going there after Holly W. quit working there. I don't think she works at a salon anymore or cuts hair by appointment.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Gorgeous?

I used to but never liked my cuts there. I liked the lady who did my waxing, but gave up on their hair cutters
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Anyone ever go to Hi Gorgeous?

they're okay for everything except the haircuts. i've been there for various things and i'm with windy on this one - never liked the cuts, but they're super nice and great for fixing an updo, waxing, color (but like i said my color is simple to do.)
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Who in Memphis is good with curly hair? I never had luck the last time I lived there (I didn't know Krissy cut heads then) and this is going to be muy importante upon my return. I had some TERRIBLE haircuts back then; I ended up just letting that mess grow forever.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

New French gal in town that's supposed to be great and she's quick too! URL
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 11:31 pm

She looks too severe for my tastes, rumple.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm

Hey, does Capelli or somewhere else still sell the Bumble and Bumble line? I need a decent curl creme and can't get to anyplace that sells Davines before we leave. Naturally, people down here use that Redken crap or worse, Tigi.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 12:06 am

Who in Memphis is good with curly hair?

Talk to J9.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 3:19 am | Edited by: elle

irene, capelli i think still sells it and so does the gould's salon in the peabody.

redken sucks it. the only thing i like of theirs was when my hair was really damaged from bleach abuse back when i bleached it out to dye it different colors, they had this really awesome avocado oil shampoo and conditioner that repaired the hair rather nicely. however, it's not something you can continue to use once the hair is repaired because it gets too greasy. i'm not really a big fan of redken besides that. i like rusk stuff myself and i get that at dabbles.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 3:25 am

I used Rusk for a bit. Right now, Davines is the King of all Hair Product, but I have to order it from Drugstore.com or eBay since I moved here. Bumble and Bumble does have great curl creme though, so I'll stop by the Peabody or Capelli next Wednesday. Thanks Elle! I am getting so ready to be home.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Ok, I made an appointment with Krissy. Thanks for the input, all!

Hope we get a chance to meet up while you're here, Irene.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Email me or myspace...we get there this time tomorrow!
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 1:55 am

you can try Pavo, I think the girls name is emily, she is supposed to be badass with the hair, curly too. I think the is where j9 went last time and her hair looked great. even though you have already made an appt, future ref.
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I got the hot tip on Emily at Pavo from another source, too. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 2:59 pm

J9 goes to Emily at Pavo. Curly.
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Hello all! Memphis is still great and it is FUCKING COLD!

(Where is Pavo?)
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 6:50 pm

In that shopping center by Davis Kidd.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®