Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Hang up and drive! A brilliant idea!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 6:20 pm

I swear I think I'm going to send a letter to the newspaper or the Flyer or something.
In the space of ten minutes on the parkway between Jackson Ave. and Ike's and back I counted TWELVE people driving with one hand and yakking away on their cellphone with the other. Two of them really scared me with their driving. How about Memphis makes that illegal, like a $50 ticket a pop, and earmarks the proceeds for some kind of communications training program for
inner city kids? We make the streets safer, and theoretically get some kids off the street. How easy is that?

And, if you just HAVE to talk on your cellphone while you're driving you can get one of those blue tooth things or something.

I'm not kidding. I see people TEXTING and driving all the time. It's not safe. It's ridiculous.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 6:33 pm

I was reading this on my blackberry while driving down Poplar and laughed so hard I accidently hit the remote on the dvd player in the van and paused A Hard Day's Night...
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 6:53 pm

Jesus, Golightly. Get a grip!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 9:16 pm

;0)~
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 10:14 pm

My DAD wrecked his car texting me on a major toll road here.

And, yes, hang the fuck up and drive. My car almost got killed by whatever the Nissan SUV is (it was white, of course) when the moron housewife yakking away just blew through the yield at a circle that I was in. She then tried to turn left onto a 4 lane one way down the street...I passed her and she was trying to right her car and she was STILL ON THE PHONE!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 11:32 pm

I agree, but I will say this: TAKE YOUR DAMN BLUETOOTH OFF WHEN NOT IN USE!!! I can't stand the sight of people walking around, eating in restaurants, riding bikes, attending functions, etc. with it on like it's some sort of fashion accessory or something. They look like demented cyborgs.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 11:41 pm

i say take your damn bluetooth off when you're not driving. period. it freaks me out because i think people are saying shit to me when you can't see that they're on the phone. or you go up and say something to someone and then they say something and then you finally realize that they're on the phone when they hand signal you to wait a second. if they were on an actual cell phone i could have figured it out. i'm sorry you have cyborg communication device on you since you're too lazy to put a receiver to your ear while you're walking around doing nothing else with your hands. i don't know that. don't shush me. heheh.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 12:08 am

well, that kind of leads me to my other cellphone peeve. I swear, during Christmas shopping I was finally ready to deck the next person I saw walking around the grocery store, clothing store, Target...where-ever that was just talking away into the phone. I do not care what you got Aunt Rose for Christmas...I do not care to listen to you endlessly argue with your mother about what is suitable for her grandson, I do not care to hear you tease your boyfriend about what you're buying for him...I even do not care to know every single ingredient in your granma's strawberry cake! And then they look at you all smug like...like their conversations are really, really important and interesting.
Shut up already!!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 2:23 am

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:11 am

yeah, more laws. great.

BRAY!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm not talking about banning foie gras here.
I don't consider any law involved with operating a vehicle safely a "nanny law". People don't realize that automobiles are huge masses of steel hurtling through space at relatively high speeds. You take your attention away from the act of driving for even a few seconds and you can wind up killing or being killed.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 3:15 pm

For example, politically conservative or libertarian groups in the United States (especially paleoconservatives that support the free market and capitalism) object to excessive state action to protect people from the consequences of their actions by restricting citizen options.

Liberals on the other hand have used the term to describe the state as being excessive in its protections of businesses and the business class —protections ostensibly made against the public good, and the good of consumers. This usage applies to the international context as well, where the "public good" is used to refer to people in general, and where the state is viewed as being excessive in its protection of native business over foreign (rival) businesses.

We are so fucked.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 4:00 pm

yeah, adult seat belt laws are nanny laws. driving safety laws not so much to me.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 4:31 pm

cell phone/ driving laws - ok
seatbelt laws for people over the age of 16 (or there-abouts) - not ok

you can "if, and or but" all day long, but you will still be wrong.

also, I have almost no problem with cops issuing tickets for those that refuse to use their turn signal.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 4:40 pm

You Americans and yer nanny state stuff! I say, hang and belt up... and get a f-ing car that does more than five miles to the gallon, and vote for a candidate that will put y'all a national health service together (or sort out Medicare)... guess that makes me a COMMUNIST, rite?

Hee, hee...

People who drive while they're on the phone are a job for the MEMPHIS SNIPER! Whatever happened to that badly-aimed mf, anyhoo?
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:17 pm

also, I have almost no problem with cops issuing tickets for those that refuse to use their turn signal.

Moi aussi. This grates on me worse than the cell phone drivers.

or sort out Medicare

You actually mean Medicaid, limey. Medicare actually isn't too bad, comparatively.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:19 pm

Whatever happened to that badly-aimed mf,

He stopped shooting after they put up a chain-link fence. Seriously.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:07 pm

Bluetooth phones are great! I like it when people say stuff in the grocery store for no apparent reason!
Feeling uncomfortable in public gives me a cheap thrill.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 9:36 pm

Whats with all this cop love? Why dont you fagelas go down to the CopShop on Union and get a job holding dicks.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 11:27 pm

I have almost no problem with cops issuing tickets

No way does this constitute "love"!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 11:30 pm

Really. No overt cop love here...though it would be nice if they'd enforce my brilliant idea.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 11:38 pm

They just made it illegal to use your handset and drive at the same time in LA. I've already heard of two people I know getting tickets for it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®