Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Worst show at the Antenna
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 3:43 pm

Beanland
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 3:48 pm

Any number of White Animals shows
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 10:03 pm

And how could I forget the Grifters record release show in which 30 of us got arrested.
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 10:16 pm

E(arles)laborate.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 2:07 am

Every American Lesion show.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 3:18 am

Beanland

Betcha can't name the date and who Memphis State lost to that afternoon (and where The Who played the next day).
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 5:32 am

Sure, November nobody-gives-a-fuck, Nineteen Ninety-shut-up.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 1:04 pm

Sure, November nobody-gives-a-fuck, Nineteen Ninety-shut-up.

I believe "Jack Stands" uses a tongue to type.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 3:06 pm

Betcha can't name the date and who Memphis State lost to that afternoon (and where The Who played the next day).

No, and I'm really glad I can't.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 3:34 pm

E(arles)laborate.

K,

Now, you've heard this story a hundred times. And not just from my pie-hole.

I was nabbed for under-aged drinking. I had a beer on the table, but I was debilitated by a really stupid substance that I haven't touched in over ten years. Hint: It's a good idea to get this stuff out of your system by age 25, at the latest. That said, not the best way to go down to the drunk tank (though I sobered up pretty quickly). It was a synchronized raid that hit Murphy's, the Antenna, and Newby's. At least 40 people were arrested, including a couple of people on this BBS. I was pulled out of the club by the elastic of my boxer shorts and had a 1/4 of bad weed in my back pocket that they didn't find. i had nerve damage in my left wrist for three months because I had to fish it out and dispose of it properly...with cuffs on. (Un)funny thing was, I was in my last week of diversion for a court summons (for a minor incident) from 11 months and three weeks prior. I had forgotten about the diversion, which is entry-level probation in case anyone was wondering. Imagine my surprise when, two months after the Antenna ordeal, I was sitting at my telemarketer's job one Saturday and a couple of sheriff's deputies show up to arrest me. Violation of probation. This time, my name got screwed up in processing (as "Forles") and I spent two extra days at 201 in the pods.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 9:12 pm

Mekons! They SUCK!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm so glad I had to work at McDonalds the 2 days I worked there the night of the Grifters thing. Did the Flaming Lippps play that too? With a smoke machine? So glad I wasn't there.

KOMA TOAST! Unlistenable!!!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 10:10 pm

Rubber Rodeo , REM
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 10:11 pm

Now, you've heard this story a hundred times. And not just from my pie-hole.

I swear I blocked it out; no memory!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 12:18 am

well, that grifters show was pretty good until that!

what a joke.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 12:52 am

Vegan Reich. That was a pretty bad one....turned out to be just 1 guy with a guitar an a drum machine! THAT was a JOKE!

At Hardline fest no doubt.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 3:29 am

You sure that wasn't Statement?
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 9:31 pm

Vegan Reich.
I have the flyer from that show. They played with Inner Struggle.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 10:44 pm

You sure that wasn't Statement?

Is there a difference?
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 11:40 pm

Government Issue show when the skinheads tried to fight Stabb and GI stopped playing....sucked...5 1987 dollars to my 16 year old ass was a significant amount of money.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 3:50 am

Oh my god....who was the one man/drum machine straightedge outfit?!?! I wasn't there, but I've read about that band and cannot think of the name. Was it a later lineup of Vegan Reich? Cuz I thought they were a full band. That's fucking hilarious. Someone dig up some YouTube of that!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 4:27 am

Yeah... I think it must've just been Sean the second time they came through, but I couldn't remember a drum machine..... Ratt from Statement was a one-man band, but yeah, I guess he never played there.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 4:41 am

Government Issue.
Same incident happened years later at MWGLH house only it was rednecks.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 2:50 pm

Government Issue show when the skinheads tried to fight Stabb

Too bad they didn't beat up J. Robbins for his future crime of starting Jawbox.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 6:04 pm

Too bad they didn't beat up J. Robbins for his future crime of starting Jawbox.

Shame on you. I really liked Jawbox's 2nd album, though because they were perhaps the most innocuous band on planet, I don't remember the name. It was green, I think, and this is coming from someone that made a Tar mix in 1993 for the Sparkomatic "maximum treble" system in his 1982 Honda Accord.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 6:47 pm

Jawbox's 2nd album

Is that the one with Cooling Card?

The chick in that band was kind of hot in a well-scrubbed way.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 7:25 pm

I tell ya....I enjoyed the beer bust wedensday audition shows the most. Ya never knew what you were gonna get. It was great!
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:02 am

mike, you're right. guitar wolf's first memphis show was a wed night beer buster!
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:20 am

I remember seeing Guitar Wolf then ending up at Murphy's with them (and a bunch of other people that I was totally star struck by)... that was a good night.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:55 pm

I was at that! Fun show!
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 2:26 pm

I really liked Jawbox's 2nd album, though because they were perhaps the most innocuous band on planet, I don't remember the name. It was green, I think

Novelty. Best Jawbox album by far and the last good thing Dischord ever released. I'm still looking for it on vinyl but am starting to wonder if it was ever even released on vinyl cuz it's not even on Gemm.

-Ryan
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 9:18 pm | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

Atomic Jefferson. We played there in 1993 w/ Sky Pilots and some local band whose name escapes me that had some Prog/REM alt-hybrid sound. I made cool lookin' flyers that i mailed to the club and/or the Pilots (*memory hole*) and never got put up.

The crowd hated us. They didn't really seem to dig on the 'Pilots either but they were great as always. Our sound just didn't fit w/any of the other bands. Calling the sound guy a "peon" from the stage didn't help us either. He thought i was serious but i was just feeling my Handsome Dick Manitoba oats. This caused a brief controversy that night and we almost didn't get any dough. We got paid $50 and the rest of the band bitched while i didn't care.

On the plus side i did hook up w/ a lady that became a Girlfriend. It was very romantic making out while crossing the Tennessee/Mississippi border...
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 4:29 am

My heavy rotation pile now has physical proof that "Novelty" was released on vinyl. Had to pull it out.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:22 pm

I saw Atomic Jefferson with Mindflayer and Mash-O-Matic many moons ago. I am fairly certain it was Atomic Jefferson. The lead singer had this hat on with Roach Antennae on it and kept hopping around the stage being pretty creepy. I had to go outside. The chemicals that were happening at the moment were really making this a most unenjoyable experience. That was one of the few shows I saw at the Antenna. Memorable not so much for the music but for the complete feeling of confusion that the whole night produced.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 2:34 am | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

Another unsatisfied customer!

Sorry dude. Just Say No to chemicals. You should really try drugs instead.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 2:39 am

Not that i'd know anything about that... i just saw something about 'em on the TV.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®