Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 7:20 pm

god damn it. my car was broken into last night, there is nothing of value in it, they broke out the window and popped the hood to steal one of the headlights. any one know a good place for windows and foreign car parts?
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 7:27 pm

What kind of car is it? How old?
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 7:29 pm

mazda protege '99, cop thinks it was because someone else was in an accident and needed the part, but i don't think i've ever seen another protege
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm

on faxon? damn.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 7:59 pm

Someone definitely wanted that part--are there little thieves that go out and patrol for such things? Maybe the thief also has a Protege and was getting some backstock. Sorry that happened--does Memphis have a "U-PULL-EM" yard? That was where I got a side mirror for my truck once...way cheap.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 8:03 pm

yeah, on the "U-PULL-EM", i'm just kind of dumbfounded that i'm having this problem with this shitty car, it's not worth anything and there's nothing of value in it
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 8:26 pm

it's not worth anything and there's nothing of value in it

leave it unlocked and next time you won't have to deal with a broken window.
Sorry, bruce. Sucketh.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 8:32 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Damn. Sorry to hear about the car. Try Dennis Hall off of Brooks( maybe Gill rd?). They have a HUGE selection of parts.

We were awaken at 4 a.m. monday morning to the dogs going nuts barking at something outside. When Ashley got up to see what it was, she noticed a guy walking in our back yard holding a jigsaw and a circular saw. She screamed for me to get the gun, and by the time I got to the back door with the gun loaded(took about 20 seconds), he had jumped the back fence and taken off. Looking back I wished I would have fired a warning shot to let them know we weren't fucking around about having a gun.

He got a weedeater, leaf blower, chainsaw and a drill out of the shed(he cut through the handle and opened the doors, bypassing the lock). He dropped the j.saw and c.saw when he took off. We got those back. The deductable is too high to claim them on our insurance so it's just a loss.

The police said this neighborhood is very safe but there have been some instances lately of petty theft. So that makes me feel better( as you guys should since you're a block away)
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 8:41 pm

yeah, something similar has happened to our neighbor, broke into his garage through the back wall that is on the green way
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Motherfucker.

Sorry to hear about that, y'all. I swear to god, it just might be guntime when I move home. Really don't wanna do it, though. The dog is a definite at this point, though.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 10:04 pm

Yeah, tis the season.

I had my house broken in to two weeks ago, with the dogs in the house- they must have known when I left.

Got my new laptop and a 20" flat screen lcd tv. They were in and out.

Of course, they couldn't have just popped one pane of the window, they had to destroy all the framing to get to the lock. Home is from the forties so the window is odd sized and has to be custom made.

The window replacement alone eats up my $1000 deductable.

Guess I'll just have to replace the other stuff at my leisure.

My hometown.

Love it.

As for cars, I agree with Alisa. If you don't keep anything in it, just leave it unlocked. It will at least save you money for windows, door locks being busted.

And if they truly want it, they're going to get it.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 10:07 pm

sorry to hear about that, bruce. ugh. there's someplace on the north side of downtown but i for the life of me cannot remember what it is. i got a windshield for my old car there before after i was parked over at my dad's old place and a golf ball went through the glass. (he lived close to a stupid golf course and whoever hit the ball didn't fess up to it.)

having a gun in the house = peace of mind. i got one now. got tired of people fucking with my shit.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 10:49 pm

having a gun in the house = peace of mind. i got one now. got tired of people fucking with my shit.

Thats how I feel. We're getting a shotgun as well.

I wish Ashley could have taken a picture of me on the back porch with nothing on but underwear and a Bocephus shirt ready to shoot someone
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 4:23 am

You took the time to throw on underwear?
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 4:45 am

Sigh.

Hearing this shit makes me wonder why I am coming back. It is going to be a hard adjustment after living in lala lands for so long. But there are many things about home that will make it worth getting an annoying dog and a gun. I am actually more OK with getting a gun than a dog. As soon as we get a house (rented or bought) I am hooking up ADT first thing. Now all my OCD checking doors and locks can be justified again! GO MEMPHIS!
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 12:53 am

Having a gun is only good if you are absolutely sure you can look another person in the eyes and kill them. If not, they will take it from you and kill you.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 1:34 am

If not, they will take it from you and kill you.

That depends on if you're ready or not. Any motherfucker that pulls a gun on me will die from a wound inflicted by his own weapon.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 1:41 am

ive had a gun pulled on me and took it away but once that was done there was really no reason to kill anymore.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 2:24 am

ive had a gun pulled on me

so have I

that person isn't dead (as far as I know), but if thought the person pulling the gun really intended to kill me, they'd be dead. And it would be legal.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 3:47 am

killer. just shoot em in the leg and wait for the cops to arrive
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 9:05 pm

sons a bitches, the window cost $225 and i had to order the headlight which was $120. called mazda dealership and they wanted $260 just for the parts without installation.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 9:09 pm

Where you stay at jerryd?? Just curious...locked and loaded! Hey Saispas, are yall moving back to Memphis? Where are looking to live? Buy or rent?
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 10:13 pm | Edited by: saispas

Hey Saispas, are yall moving back to Memphis? Where are looking to live? Buy or rent?

We keep hedging as it gets closer, but we gotta get out of this stupid place and I have a feeling that Memphis will be good for me again...plus Ryan really loves it.

As far as neighborhoods, I am open to living outside of Midtown (can't believe I am saying that), just not too far outside of Midtown. Any suggestions?

Rent first, Buy later.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 10:28 pm

I aspire to live back in Midtown proper again for sure, but right now we live on Humes which runs between Poplar and Lombardy(north and South) just east of the Poplar overpass. Our street runs up the side of Grisantis. Pretty cool affordable pocket neighborhood that is centrally located and bordered by the Board of Education/Tobey Fields and Chickasaw Gardens. There are always homes for sale...some have been updated and some have not, just depends on how much work you wanna put into it. Anywhere from mid 90's to just over 100K. Some have really big lots as well for dogs etc.. Take a ride down through here when yall are in town. Homes are anywhere from 900 sq. ft to 1700 on the top end. They get bigger and more $$ the closer you get to Lombardy as expected. There are rentals as well and possibly even a rent to own scenario. Fenwick is between our street and Chickasaw Gardens and its pretty shitty really. There is a ton of traffic as it is a cut through from Poplar to Central. Good luck !
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 10:43 pm | Edited by: MATAlac

Get yourself 2 real attack dogs and plan to walk them day and night around your block. Train the living hell out of them. Make sure all your neighbors have attack dogs also. High fences and a lot of lights out front will help also.

I'm looking at getting a winter home near my folks in Memphis. I woulden't think of any other neighborhoods besides Evergreen and VECA.
If you are renting go for a highrise or a place with access control and a fence.

I'm spoiled these days and never have to pull my keys out all day. Its the worst trade off, either live in a place I can't afford or live in Memphis where everybody wants to boost your shit.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 4:57 am

colin's joint is the shiznt! nice area, HUGE ASS YARD! seems like a nice little neighborhood, too.

jerryd lives around the way from our house... where our fantastic neighbors had someone shooting at their house last month from in front of our yard.

thanks a lot for that.

heard the shooting for new years, too. ridiculous.

other than that, i love our neighborhood. gets weird, hopefully will be better, but it's cool.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:08 pm

What are the neighborhood(s) names, Colin and Eric? Also, I am gonna have to rook people into going around with me for a couple of days before we move up there, sooooo...I will let people know when we are getting up there and you can keep your eyes out.

As far as the attack dogs, ain't happening. They'll kill the cats and I'd rather live with ridiculously high renter's/home insurance than living a life without cats in the house. We'll get a mutt that is somewhat threatening that barks like mad at anything...other than that, I can't hang with it.

As far as shootings go, Bob Kelley of Ticketmaster infamy shot like crazy at his wife a couple of times on Stonewall when I was growing up (the shitty side of N Stonewall) and my dad was shot in the hand when we were in our sunroom over on N. Montgomery. Memphis/Midtown has been sketchy for so long. I know we have all had this conversation on this board ad nauseum, but um, I think there is a fine line between living life with a chronic ulcer and being as careful as possible. Choose wisely.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:15 pm

I grew up over there in Evergreen on Mignon and Snowden between University and Mclean. Thats my old stompin ground for sure and I know there are some good deals over that way as we speak. Being an appraiser and being in all different neighborhoods all of the time, it becomes more and more evident that no matter what neighborhood you live in you are almost always bordered by at least 1 crappier area. Cooper Young, Evergreen/Veca, Humes Heights(my hood)all experience this. With our city being as crime ridden as it is and there being so much difference between the "haves and the have nots", this makes the problem even worse. Basically, it dosent really matter where you live...there are folks stealin shit everywhere. Just gotta be hyperaware of your surroundings at all times and keep your shit locked up as best you can. I really do need to live closer to the park and the zoo etc....I miss being able to walk there. Does anyone know what they are opening in that spot where that old gas station (been empty for years) across from Snowden School at the corner of Faxon and Mclean??
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:17 pm

My hood is called Humes Heights and I think Erics is still considered Evergreen right?
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:38 pm

most crime in memphis are crimes of opportunity...if your house looks like its harder to break into than your neighbor's, then you'll be fine.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:42 pm

This New Years Eve/ Fourth of July gunfire shit has to stop somehow. This was the worst year by far. It rates no mention in the news though. A few years ago a five year old girl was shot in the head ( non fatally ) by a "frolicker". What's it gonna take to cease this idiocy? I am a gun owner but I do not feel the need to use them as celebratory devices. Maybe if you live way out in the country but not in densely populated areas for fuck's sake.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 3:13 pm

colin- i live across the street from mike smith's mom, and bruce lives a couple of houses down.

dave shouse lives on the next street over, and alicja lives across watkins. so does chucky vicious/scotty p/ & jackson. r barnett lives a block or so east of us. jerryd's a couple of blocks ne of us.

joe t's renting in a cool neighborhood over near vollentine and his neighbors keep trying to get his girlfriend's junker car towed... some benefits to not living in a nicer neighborhood, too!

just signed up for cyberwatch, and, as hemant warned, it is a LOT of information about a LOT of bad stuff going on. mostly petty, crappy crimes. the 1300 block of faxon did not have a good december, looks like.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 4:19 pm

no matter what neighborhood you live in you are almost always bordered by at least 1 crappier area.

I think they designed Midtown to be this way. We had a halfway decent block on Stonewall in the 80's and behind us? Crackhoscrackchopshophoscrack. What cracks me up is we had this stupid as hell, huge Siberian Husky that never bit a soul who allowed us to be able to leave the back door unlocked, not have a storm door on a rickety ass basement door and still just have the 1920's useless lock on the front door. Guys would run from the cops and have to get under our garage to avoid her licking them to death. RIP Zoe Dawg.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 8:32 pm

Cyberwatch...ouch!! Just signed up. Between that and being addicted to listening to the police scanner while working I have come to the conclusion that the I need to become a thief. Screw work...Ima start stealin shit and maybe start raisin and selling pit bulls. Unless you listen to the police dispatch, you have no idea how many calls come in a day concerning pit bulls. Shits wacko!!
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:24 pm

where can I sign up for Cyberwatch?
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 10:08 pm

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 11:07 pm

I obviously missed the post about this. What's the deal? Do they send you email alerts when a crime happens? Is there a place I can go to figure out what's been happening up this end of Jackson Ave.?
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 11:22 pm

Cyberwatch

Yeah, alright, the guy who sold Jerry and Miss Faye the Peter Pan's Pantry sign has a warrant out for his arrest!
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 11:58 pm

I obviously missed the post about this. What's the deal? Do they send you email alerts when a crime happens? Is there a place I can go to figure out what's been happening up this end of Jackson Ave.?

this page tells you all the details.

It gives you alot of information...radius is probably too big for dense areas like midtown, but it is nice knowing where troublesome hotspots are.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 12:12 am

thanks, hemant
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®