Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Ross Johnson's Make It Stop!: The Memphis Flyer critics have spoken...
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 7:06 am

In their year-end local music wrap-up, four of the Flyer's music critics weigh in on 2007's Memphis releases, and three of them have Ross' Make It Stop as their #1 album -- even the notoriously tough Chris Herrington places the disc at #4 on his personal list.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A37501

Three #1's and a #4 -- Ross is the people's choice and the critic's choice. Amen.

If you haven't gotten a copy of this disc yet for some reason, do it now!
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 7:19 am

if you haven't gotten it yet, just kill yourself...
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 7:23 am

For. Real.
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 7:38 am

p.s. This never made the CD or the GF2 CD/DVD, but I love it.

Jeff Novak
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 8:39 pm

I love this record.
Does Ross play much? Would really like to see him.
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 8:47 pm | Edited by: Cole

Holy shit! I've seen it in the web store and laughed at Ross's post on the board, but had no idea this album was so thought of. I'm picking it up.
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Don't get "Rockabilly Monkey Faced Girl" stuck in your head- it will drive you insane.
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 10:13 pm

love that song almost the most!

i do believe ross is playing late at the bucc tonite<3
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 12:36 pm

yeh good album... its one of my favorites
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 5:50 pm

I just got this in today. I'ts great. Listening to Ross makes me feel like i'm normal.
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 7:09 pm

he's supposed to make you feel bad about yourself, cause you have to sit and listen to the miserable tales that is his life, while he lived it

or

it could make you fell good
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 7:19 pm | Edited by: Cole

It's kind of like.....I've done some fucked up shit.....but, I've never done that!

Still, it's a teriffic album. One of the coolest and most unusual things I've gotten from Goner.
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 10:30 pm

I guess moral education is my business, sort of. If I've "done some fucked up shit" (and I sure have) then maybe I can spare you committing similar idiocies if you know an impulsive old fool like me did them so you don't have to. If my recordings inspire pity or disgust then I must be doing my job correctly. Not a very good reason to buy my rant comp though. God bless Eric and Zac for wasting time and money on moral education records like mine. Guiltabilly just doesn't sell too well or make for pleasant listening, they found out. Now please excuse me. I have some more fucked shit to get up to. You feel normal after listening to me? Really?
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 10:37 pm

I got it. My motto should read: "Fetishizing failure since birth." Or maybe: "Making women miserable since 1953," what do you think? Oh, shut up, old man, and go to bed. It never happened indeed.
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 10:44 pm

You feel normal after listening to me? Really?

Yeah, maybe not.

I hope you understand that I meant nothing insulting. Your "rant comp" is fantasic sir, as the first post in this thread rightly points out.

Would it be wrong to label you a "humorist"? Albiet, a highly unusual one.
I also see why you'd call it a moral education record. Mainly, it's really funny. I like the music as well "Farmer John" is a stomper and my favorite so far.
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 11:03 pm

You feel normal after listening to me? Really?
I hope you understand that I meant nothing insulting.
Posted: Jul 25, 2010 4:45 am

I guess moral education is my business, sort of. If I've "done some fucked up shit" (and I sure have) then maybe I can spare you committing similar idiocies if you know an impulsive old fool like me did them so you don't have to. If my recordings inspire pity or disgust then I must be doing my job correctly. Not a very good reason to buy my rant comp though. God bless Eric and Zac for wasting time and money on moral education records like mine. Guiltabilly just doesn't sell too well or make for pleasant listening, they found out. Now please excuse me. I have some more fucked shit to get up to. You feel normal after listening to me? Really?

loved yer sermon at our wedding. summed up dont do what i did and ya'll'll be just fine.

ross is my minister!
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 8:07 am

listened to this record the other day. it's awesome!
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Yes, I've come to collect an award for my "body of work" in the Garage Rock Ghetto Legion of Lifetime Losers. It's been a long, lonely climb all the way down and I didn't do it all by myself, oh no. Zac and Eric have certainly helped to put me up where I belong, but the unflagging efforts of one Andria Lisle to make me heard during the 1990s really should not go unsung or unpunished. What should have been the private ravings of a troubled mental patient were elevated to lofty heights by her Sugar Ditch label. Blame me first and then Andria, okay? Like I said, I've come for my award. Now where is it?
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 1:59 pm

dookieville?
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 4:05 pm

overkill -- but thanks for the props.

and yep, a one-way ticket to dookieville!
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Even if you have the cd, you should still get the Sugar Ditch 7" for posterity sake. It was at Goner last time I was there.
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 4:37 pm

I was actually really disappointed that 'Mr. Blue X-mas (Cut Your Head On Christmas)' wasn't on there, but I always dwell on the positive.
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm

i have the 7inch as well!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm

you must be an alder of dookieville
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 12:28 am

Honey, I am the mayor of Dookieville and dogcatcher too! Muddy, you are right about me and Mr. Mehr completely forgetting to include "Mr. Blue Xmas" on the comp. Or maybe we just didn't feel like talking to Long Gone John about bootlegging a bootleg. Can you ever forgive me for leaving it out?
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 5:53 am

Only if you can forgive me for leaving out "Theme From 'A Summer Place'" from a mix tape I made for a young lady recently. She dumped me anyway. Twice. Maybe I should've been honest from the start.
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 7:56 am

Muds, you are quite forgiven for your omission of "Summer Place," but your comment about being honest gave me a piss shiver. I feel uniquely qualified to comment on the corrosive effect that consistent honesty can have on a romance. As gently as I can put this, dear boy, you should have lied from the start and kept lying. Next time around, begin with a half truth and end with a complete falsehood. You may still get dumped, but at least you'll still have your sociopathic integrity. I'm rather sure about this.
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 8:16 am

You should charge for this stuff Ross...fuck a bunch of Dewey Decimal System...to put a young man back on the path...it's gold.
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 8:32 am

There wasn't a single moment of honesty for the whole time we were together, I just don't think the lies were grand enough. They generally consisted of me trying to convince her I was a normal, decent human being. I now need to bump it up a notch and portray such traits as thoughtfulness and assertiveness. Last time we met, however, I got so drunk that I woke up in hospital, and she seemed to like that. Maybe I'll continue in that manner. I generally like to be shat on three times.
Posted: Jul 27, 2010 10:06 am

I was actually really disappointed that 'Mr. Blue X-mas (Cut Your Head On Christmas)' wasn't on there, but I always dwell on the positive.

Wait, it wasn't on Make It Stop? Actually, it is on there. It's track 10 on the CD, I believe.
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 6:06 pm

it is on there.
Yep!
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Well, maybe one day I will actually feel brave enough to listen to my Goner comp and/or cast a glance at the track listing. Until then I'll take Joe T's and Herr Mehr's word that "Blue Xmas" is indeed on there. Thank you as always, Joseph and Bobert. I like what Alisa said about the thing a few years back. Quoting from foggy memory it went something like this: "I can only listen to about 2 or 3 of your 'songs' at a time, Ross. I just can't take more than that in a single sitting." In complete agreement with that sentiment. And now to Mud's ongoing romantic dilemma. Good to know that all was lies from the jump during your latest foray into that part of life that always yields nothing but pain and suffering, but it sounds like all your worthy untruths were in the service of a delusional goal: namely, trying to convince the apple of your eye that you are a decent, sharing and caring sort of fella. You did the right thing by inducing alcohol poisoning and ending up in hospital though (you Britishers like to use that phrase "in hospital," don't ya?). Oh, I bet she liked that. Now I'm not recommending wreaking more havoc on your ailing liver, but acting a complete shit always nets 'em every damn time. Summoning the wisdom of the greatest Agony Aunt of all time, one King Louie Bankston, tell her that if she doesn't act right that you will have to fuck all her friends. I know it's a bit of gender reversal, but it will work, I guarantee it.
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Holy shit! Ross's post are as great as his musical output!

Climb on top of a mountain and sit and wait for people to bring gifts and ask for advice. Your the anti-guru!
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Ross is the Boss!
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 10:55 pm

he really is
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Bad taste in movies though.
Posted: Jul 28, 2010 11:37 pm

he prefered the book
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 1:21 am

Oh god, Scott, that movie I recommended to you in the summer of 2006, some horrible hybrid of recycled noir and Shakespeare, wasn't it? It was sort of a teen movie, I think. I don't want to recall it too precisely except that it was just fuckin' awful. It had a title, but let's not try to remember it now, shall we? My apologies for wasting your time and money. These days I enjoy falling asleep in movie theaters shortly after the flick begins and I inevitably wake up while the credits are rolling. Papaw needs his naps, ya'll. When it comes to movies and just about anything else don't listen to a word I'm saying. I never do.
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 9:24 am | Edited by: Scott

It wouldn't have been nearly so bad if we hadn't gone together.
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 11:06 am

I like what Alisa said about the thing a few years back. Quoting from foggy memory it went something like this: "I can only listen to about 2 or 3 of your 'songs' at a time, Ross. I just can't take more than that in a single sitting."

Still my sentiment, exactly.
And your 'advice' ain't nothing to write home about either.
(Luv ya, honey.)
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 10:56 am

All hail the Mayor of Dookieville.
Posted: Aug 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Well, Scott, at least we will always have that movie moment to remember. I kept waving at you from the front row to join me, but you sat in the back with your sunglasses on the entire time and then you left early before the shitty flick even ended. I'm beginning to think you were avoiding me then. You didn't even say goodbye...
Posted: Aug 14, 2010 2:46 am

Your memory is failing in your old age. We sat next to each other, and you kept trying to get me to stick my hand in the popcorn box which sat squarely in the center of your lap.
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 9:35 am

hey ross, a friend from ostralia is in next week and was curious if you might be preforming anywhere(i'm using the term loosely, so that it might include just sitting around a table somewhere)
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 4:48 pm

preforming
I'm preforming something right now!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®