Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Memphis on NPR
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 5:10 pm

saw this on NPR site - midtown audio postcard.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17441323
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks! That was nice to hear/see, she needs to shush on how ridiculously cheap the housing is though! At least wait til we get a decent place!
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 10:46 pm | Edited by: lemissa

I was thinking the same thing. "ssshhh....let's keep that cost of living thing quiet. No need to nationally broadcast it." But I like the photos, especially of madison and mclean. I lived a block from that corner for a few years and really loved it.
Posted: Dec 23, 2007 2:25 am

I loved that picture of from her balcony...considering we will likely be living in one of these very spots. We gots to live way cheap and those little places on Madison around there (the mid sized complexes, not those massive ones) would be perfect to set up in while we are getting settled.

I am actually getting terrified that my salary will be a huge cut...lemissa you know any LCSW level social workers/therapists and what they are earning these days around Memphis?
Posted: Dec 23, 2007 4:24 am

Wish I could help, but the only social worker I know moved away about five years ago. Have you looked on St. Jude's website? I do know they have lots of social workers there.

You may not be in quite the same tax bracket but at least you'll have lots of old friends around that still know how to rock.
Posted: Dec 23, 2007 1:49 pm

You may not be in quite the same tax bracket but at least you'll have lots of old friends around that still know how to rock.

Truth. St. Jude would be awesome, but no openings every time I check. I've had hospital/kids research experience, so they need to hire me.
Posted: Dec 23, 2007 3:05 pm

They should hire you. I've worked seasonally at ALSAC (fundraising) for awhile now let me tell you, St. Jude is a desirable place to work.

Hemant, do you know anyone from the Child Life department from your St. Jude days? (I think that's the dept. the social workers are in.)

I think wherever you end up interviewing you'll be a desirable canidate b/c you've worked in so many cities, and really different ones at that.
Posted: Dec 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Hemant, do you know anyone from the Child Life department from your St. Jude days?

No, for the most part I only know researchers. However, I do remember that they made sure that the salary was the same as the national average.

I can't imagine that there will be a pay cut...companies know that they have to lure and retain people in Memphis.
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Check out http://www.baptistonline.org/careers/search/index.asp There are a bunch of social worker positions posted for Baptist Hospital in Memphis and Desoto County.
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 3:20 pm | Edited by: lemissa

Since we're talking jobs, I need a job! The department I work in at ALSAC has totally re-configured temps out of the picture, so in a few weeks it's over.

I'm looking for a part-time job, roughly 20 hours a week. Ideally a small business that needs some office help, just the kind of job people don't advertise for but hire through word of mouth. (no catering or house cleaning - ideal part-time jobs but I've paid my dues a plenty there.) So if ya'll know anyone who needs help in that capacity please let me know.
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 8:08 pm

Lindsey's a coworker of mine. Really cool that NPR featured her slideshow. She's participating in this one-pic-a-day project that people with blogs all over are doing. I believe that's where the pics originally came from ...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®